My technological nightmare.

This week, it appears, is not my week for electronics. First my own PC's hard disk fails, then the tv dish decided to stop receiving the satellite signal and now the downstairs PC's graphics card's blown.

As I prepare to send off my HDD to have it replaced and sit watching low quality video on an 8 year old onboard graphics system I wonder, has anyone else been this unlucky? I mean, these kinds of misfortunate things only come in threes right? Right?

Unlucky for you dude, I feel sorry for ya. I don't know what I'd do if I lost all my electronics.

As for MY own technological nightmare, it'd be when I've 50-something and I turn into my parents. "How do you use this holographic tv-thingy?! We had good 'ol fashion flat screen back in my day, oh ho ho... What the?! I have to plug WHAT directly into my brain to do WHAT?!"

Sorry for your loss:(.
AH yes, I can relate.
I came back from a concert (Architects@ Koko Camden, 8th October 2010. Good gig) having pulled both of my calf muscles, only to play some PS3 and have it YLOD...so I went on my PC...that promptly blue screened and the motherboard fried or something or other.
Bad day. BAH:(.

Three of my computers have broken this year...one has a corrupted hard drive/dodgy bios, the other has a broken power supply, and the other had a catastrophic failure which has left me with a broken hard-drive and dvd-rom drive (surprisingly that's the only one I managed to fix/zombify).

I tend to break things quite a lot.

One day I think it's high time I finally played a horror game. So the next time I leave my den and face the deadly rays of the sun I rent out the first Dead Space. On the way home I can't stop smiling about how terrified I will be(me and horror don't mix well) when I play the game. So when I finally get home I wait until it gets dark, might as well be as frightened as possible, and then go to my Xbox to put the disc in.

Red Ring.

Red Fucking Ring.

I had to wait a whole year before I got another Xbox. Proud to say it's been going strong for 3 years.

no physical copies..digital distribution

and shitty internet

or...*shudder* "always online"

also I was playing ME3 multiplayer and it froze on me...I turn it off then on and then it says stuff like "checking hardrive..may be corrupted" and Im think NOOOOOOO
(Id have to play ME2...AGAIN)

Yeah recently I had a HDD fail on me taking all my saves with it, then my PSU started to fail too, only allowing one usb device at a time.

I know a guy who has to write a 5000 word essay worth 70% of the semester (ie., a LOT) due... two days ago. His laptop broke days before the assignment was due but hadn't yet started it. He tried using the general access computer suites on campus but all of those computers are either obnoxiously slow (takes a good 10 minutes to boot) or just broken altogether (doesn't save files properly or some such). He didn't hand it in in time.

So yeah, THAT'S unlucky.

catchpa: turn the tables
... Oh christ it's happening... technology is turning against us O.O

Vault101:
shitty internet

The bane of my life. 1.5Mbits maximum. There aren't that many options when you live in a village. At least the RMA process is under way now and I found a Docs&Settings backup that's fairly recent along with around 30 dvds of Steam games. Still leaves me with about a month's worth of files to make up, but at least it isn't as bad as the poor sod whose essay got crunched.

Vault101:

also I was playing ME3 multiplayer and it froze on me...I turn it off then on and then it says stuff like "checking hardrive..may be corrupted" and Im think NOOOOOOO

I'm assuming you're on ps3? One of the recent updates on ps3 added that function, so now every time it crashes it has to VERY slowly scan the whole hard drive. Every time. As far as I'm aware crashes very rarely cause corrupted data though (at least, I've never had it happen) so it's pointless and very annoying.

My technological nightmare will be in an age where there are no physical copies of books or video games, only digital distribution, and all the new video games solely rely on online multiplayer. And I'd be an old man, rocking back and forth in my gaming chair surrounded by my vast collection of video game paraphernalia, when the apocalyptic rise of the machines overthrows the human race, and I'll smugly say, "I told you so...you should've listened to Hollywood..."

Then a cyborg French maid busts into my house and decapitates me.

Next step? Your microwave is going to come to life, catch fire and try to eat you in your sleep simultaneously.

Simple Bluff:
I know a guy who has to write a 5000 word essay worth 70% of the semester (ie., a LOT) due... two days ago. His laptop broke days before the assignment was due but hadn't yet started it. He tried using the general access computer suites on campus but all of those computers are either obnoxiously slow (takes a good 10 minutes to boot) or just broken altogether (doesn't save files properly or some such). He didn't hand it in in time.

So yeah, THAT'S unlucky.

catchpa: turn the tables
... Oh christ it's happening... technology is turning against us O.O

Why didn't he just take the hdd out of his laptop and plug it into any non-shit PC?

I had built a pc that would be great for doing my personal work in late 2010. But last year, the cpu died and could not find the exact info to know if it was really the case, (core i7 980x is expensive). replaced almost everything to sadly narrow it to the cpu. Finally replaced the motherboard and cpu. Now the fan in the psu is slipping down and hitting the metal mesh that holds it in. My external hard drive died 2 weeks ago. So much is lost if I can't get it to spin to get some data. I've had terrible times with some of the high end Logitech mouses and keyboard 4 yrs ago.

Hawk of Battle:

Vault101:

I'm assuming you're on ps3? One of the recent updates on ps3 added that function, so now every time it crashes it has to VERY slowly scan the whole hard drive. Every time. As far as I'm aware crashes very rarely cause corrupted data though (at least, I've never had it happen) so it's pointless and very annoying.

yeah, afterwards I figured that might have been the case

but at the time it sure freaked me out..as it had never happened before (I happened to be plaything through one of the biggest games ever!)

I remember my Xbox red ringing the day before Halo Reach was released. Rather than waiting i ended up just buying a new one because I wasn't prepared to wait 2 weeks. Jokes on me because Reach multiplayer was SHIT.

Damn it I was assuming you watched the music video for 'Technologic' by Daft Punk.

Had a short in the motherboard of my last desktop that fried two graphics cards and three RAM sticks. I originally thought the problem was the power supply, so after the first round I replaced that along with the other components, only to have it fail again.

Fortunately for the sake of my wallet, my old computer and most of its hardware hadn't been at the forefront of the tech wave for nearly ten years. I'd been repairing it for so long it pretty much was the digital equivalent of the Frankenstein monster. Can't really say I'm surprised it died like that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked