A Penny For NASA: The Petition

Pages PREV 1 2

Doc Slingblade:

Liquidacid23:

Doc Slingblade:

OK, spill the beans, what MOS? Are you still in/when did you get out? I'm former 3521, been out since December 2008.

0311 0317 from 2001-2009... was 3rd batt. 1st corps

3521.. so you were a mechanic right?

Gah, way to make a POG feel inferior. Yep, mechanic is right. I ask simply to see what part of the Corps you come from, not looking to start a pissing contest or anything like that (would be quite immature of me to do so). I'm still fairly new to the site, so when I see a fellow Service Member, I'm compelled to dig for more info. Find out who my friends are, so to speak.

ahh no problem... and I loved grease monkeys... I mean after all if it wasn't for you guys I would have had to walk everywhere :P

shado_temple:
A movement was recently started to increase the US funding of NASA from .4% of the federal budget to a full 1%; that is, a penny on the tax dollar. The cause was more or less started by a Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist who pushes the idea that a resurgence of NASA programs could revive the US's interest in math, science, and, more importantly, the future.

There's a petition currently being passed around, hoping that the topic will at least come up in discussion, if nothing else. You can find the petition here, if you're an interested US citizen.

What are my fellow escapists' thoughts on this? Is it something we should push in a time of economic turmoil? Would it actually help revitalize the science and technology fields in the eyes of the general public, or would it just be considered unnecessary spending for things not immediately helping them? I fully realize that many here aren't from the US, but I feel that the overall sentiment of the movement is something that can be discussed.

Why not cut 10% of the US Army budget ($29.4 billion) and re-assign all that money to NASA... that seems like the clearest solution here. Space is the future.

If I lived in the states I wouldn't mind chipping in a penny but at the same time wouldn't it just make more sense to cut the military in half and use all those funds to help things that are more important than fighting with everyone like small businesses, programs to get the poor working and off the street, reeducation of prison inmates and troubled youth and other places the money would simply be better placed. Hell the states might even earn some much needed respect around the world as a country that does more than just look for reasons to try n fight.

HardkorSB:

shado_temple:
A movement was recently started to increase the US funding of NASA from .4% of the federal budget to a full 1%; that is, a penny on the tax dollar. The cause was more or less started by a Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist who pushes the idea that a resurgence of NASA programs could revive the US's interest in math, science, and, more importantly, the future.

There's a petition currently being passed around, hoping that the topic will at least come up in discussion, if nothing else. You can find the petition here, if you're an interested US citizen.

What are my fellow escapists' thoughts on this? Is it something we should push in a time of economic turmoil? Would it actually help revitalize the science and technology fields in the eyes of the general public, or would it just be considered unnecessary spending for things not immediately helping them? I fully realize that many here aren't from the US, but I feel that the overall sentiment of the movement is something that can be discussed.

I heard that the Chinese space program is doing not so bad and it's actually getting more funding as time goes by.
Maybe that's the future, not NASA?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/03/04/f-china-space-program.html

More than likely, for the next few years. As sad as it sounds, some are hoping that China's success would start up yet another "space race" between them and the US; something of which might be fun, if it weren't for that cold war business that was associated with the last one.

If I were a US Citizen I'd sign it. Space-exploration, as Zer pointed out, has made many advancements in technology. Imagine what could happen next.

Loop Stricken:

OneCatch :
Not from the US, but yes, yes you should!
It's ridiculous that the NASA budget is only about 2.5% that of the military (and that's not including R&D grants and subsidies and tax breaks to military companies)

This.

If it helps any, lie to the government and say there's oil on Mars. Get there, set up colonies, shamefully admit there is NO oil on Mars, but there's definitely some on Neptune, or something...

Just keep going like that.

Well there are resources on the Moon but we all know how well that turns out >.>.

Seeing people blow off NASA on this thread makes young-old man Crimson angry >:(

OT: I'm signing this because my cynicism hasn't totally destroyed my hope that NASA will finally get what it deserves. I tried signing a petition directly to the white house and it basically got a middle finger as a response.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked