Your First Book

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A fairly straightforward question, what is the first book you ever read, all the way through?
For me, it was Hop on Pop. I loved that book so much. If I knew how to properly post images, I would show you (If you didn't already know what it was)
This doesn't have to be a strictly English experience. Let us know the first text you read in your first language, as it would be interesting to see what is used in each language.

Oh, man. That was *mumbletymumble* years ago.

I'm going to have to go with Green Eggs and Ham. I loved that book. My parents hated it. Haha.

Dr. Seuss FTW!

I haven't got a clue. I was too young to remember, almost three years old.

It was an English Children's book translated (poorly) to French when I still lived in Quebec. I have no idea what it was called or what it was about, though.

First English one was probably the first Harry Potter book when I was in Grade 2 and had just barely learnt English.

requisitename:

I'm going to have to go with Green Eggs and Ham. I loved that book. My parents hated it. Haha.

Let me guess: You asked them to read it to you, and they said "We do not like Green Eggs and Ham. We do not like it, Sam-I-Am."

Queen Michael:

requisitename:

Let me guess: You asked them to read it to you, and they said "We do not like Green Eggs and Ham. We do not like it, Sam-I-Am."

Well, to be fair, they were pretty cool about it the first 7,392 times I asked. The 7,393rd time, though.. sheesh. Some people are so touchy.

Oh that had been such a long time ago...let me think. I believe it was either Pippi Longstocking or Karlsson-on-the-roof. I am not entirely sure, though - I remember these were there after I learned to read but I'm not sure if either of those was the first. They were quite thick books (for back then), so probably I started off with something "lighter". I just can't remember what it was. Gosh, I can't even remember which book it was that I used to learn to read. I'd assume it was something with fairy tales.

It might have been one of the Charlie Brown books.

Well I am pretty sure this is an Australian kids book, but I would love to be wrong, a really funny book called The Oath Of Bad Brown Bill.

It was probably some random little golden book.

The first book I really remember reading of my own volition was when I grabbed War of the Worlds during my 3rd grade book fair.

The reason it stands out is that it's still one of my favorite stories.

It isn't technically my first book, but I am going to name A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline L'Engle. I am quite sure I'd read other books before that one, but I recall that book vividly. I was still in primary school, and spent a month in Ohio with my aunt. It was my first time having my own room, as my brother and I were both young enough that sharing was not an issue and our apartment at the time had only two bedrooms, so it was something special to be able to say I had an entire attic to myself.

Anyway, she gave me a copy of the book, and said it was one of her favorites from when she was young. That book turned me into the avid reader I am today. I lost count of how many books I read in that month, but I do recall that for the rest of primary school, I had a permanent hall pass. At any time when I had finished my work, I was allowed to simply get up and walk out of class, because it was understood by all of my teachers that I would be in the library.

Not counting first grade readers or early hooked on phonics readers, the first book I ever read was probably either 'The Giving Tree' or something Doctor Seuss.

Earliest I can remember is Dinotopia.

My first ABC's pop up version. :D Oh yeah, I only read with style as a child. ^_^

Mine was Dragon's of Autumn Twilight. At least that was the first book I read on my own, and without being forced to by school.

probably Dr. Seuss, like most people.

But if you were to ask me what book first got me into reading, it would be the Harry Potter series. When I was little, my big sis read the first book to me each night. Good childhood times..

requisitename:

Dr. Seuss FTW!

Would you do it on a boat?
Would you do it with a goat?

Dr. Suess was big in the 80s in South Africa too. I'm sure all the perversions of it are too :)

Huh, some interesting titles here.
Since it looks like the topic is expanding a little bit, I thought I should too.
I loved Goosebumps. They were among the first 'serious' books I ever read. I reckon I read about half the old series, twice over. If I had to pick, I think 'How I learned to fly' would have been my favourite.
Ahh... good times. Paperbacks, the local library, other nostalgia...

I started reading pretty early on, in 2 languages, too. 3 soon after.

The first book I read entirely cover to cover without any assistance that you could actually consider a full length book was Harry Potter.

I can't even begin to try to name the first ever book that I read. Probably a Berenstain Bears book or Clifford or something. But the first actual big book I read that wasn't school required was Knight's Wyrd. It was the reason I started reading other fantasy books. My "gateway book," if you will.

Everyone Poops

Dick and Jane was the first book I ever read. I do not remember the name but the little sister whose name I think was Sally wore her father's shoes and went through a puddle.

Hmmm the first book i actually remember reading all the way thru was rl steins Goosebumps Monster blood after that i kind of just read them all and fear street

Apparently when I was 3 and 4 years old, I was deep into the Clifford the Big Red Dog mythos. That was 27 years ago, though, and I don't remember it. So I've quite literally been reading recreationally longer than I can remember.
Damned if I know which book I read first. I doubt my mom even knows.

Hmmm, I dunno if you'd class it as a book or comic series... but I think the very first written literature I read (my dad used it to teach me to read) was The Ancestral Trail.

It's a series about a boy named Richard, pulled from his (our) dimension into a place known only as the Ancestral World to help fight off an The Evil One.

It was actually rather gory and scary for its time and target audience... If you don't believe me, look up the second issue (Tolosh of the Garoon) and remember it's meant to be for little kids and was released in 1993. - http://www.theancestraltrail.com/New%20Pages/Ancestral%20Trail%20Introduction/welcome.php

It was one of the Halo novels.
Firstly, the writer was actually pretty good, even in retrospect.
Secondly, I didn't own an Xbox :(

Although it's difficult to know for sure. I started out reading Donald Duck comics, then this one, that's about a girl and her family preparing for Christmas. I learned the story by heart and first pretended to read, then by already knowing what it said, associated it with the letters.

Probably the first 'proper' book I read was Sinuhe, the Egyptian by Mika Waltari, but it's difficult to be sure, since as soon as I could read I read all kinds of books we had at home, most of which were classics.

Either Sinuhe, or Lord of the rings, was the first book that I really remember making an impression on me and that I still really like.

The dictionary. Horrible experience, numerous illogical plot-twists and some pretty unlikeable characters.

I don't remember the title, all I can remember is that is concerned a town getting invaded by aliens that parasitically invaded peoples minds and took them over.

Before anyone mentions it, no it wasn't Animorphs.

The first reading i did was Donald Duck, age 5 or 6 (don't remember exactly), but the first serious reading of a book was either Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings in 4th or 5th grade. Don't remember which i read first.

You mean reading by myself or does reading along side with your parent/ older person count?

I guess reading Roald Dahl "The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me" could be my first however I pretty sure I had read other book before that.
As for by myself, I think it could of be Antz but again I certain I had read another book before that.

I use to hate reading in all honestly, but during life a few books got me interested and eventually I became hooked.

I think the first book that really had an impact on me was The Polar Express. I was moving away at the time and a the class got it for me, since I was really into trains at this time. I loved it and later on found a lot more works by the author. Let me just say that Chris Van Allsburg is absolutely fantastic!

Later on, I needed a book to do a book report on. I couldn't really pick anything so my teacher found something they thought I would enjoy. Soldier boys I believe it was called, a story about two different soldiers, on two different sides of the war. There's this firing squad scene that sticks out in my mind, mainly because of how brutal it was and the part about how all the other soldiers started vomiting. (Most of them were inexperienced at thsi time in the book, I believe)This book was pretty fucking intense for 9-10 year old me at the time. It was awesome.

Now this is the moment that I think I began to truly enjoy reading. There was a book fair at my school and my dad had given me about 3 dollars to spend. I wasn't sure what I was looking for, and then I just sorta saw it. I don't know if it was the color or the simplicity, but I kept coming back to this book.

I decided to finally read the summary, found it interesting, and loved every moment of it. It was the first book that REALLY got me into the habit; I think it's mainly because it was the first book I'd actually selected myself, bought myself, and kept to myself. In fact, as I look at my book shelf,where I've organized my books according to height, at the very front I see Eager.

Huh, never really noticed that before.

The Fangtastic adventures of Dracula's dentures. Still have the book as well

I have no idea. I was only two years old. The first thing I started to read on my own though, I'm told, was the lettering on the side of a cardboard box. My parents came into the room and I was sitting in front of it, pointing at and sounding out the letters.

The first full book was probably a Dr. Seuss book, but I'm not sure.

It was in the days before school where I'd go round my nan & grandad's house. Nan taught me to read and write before I even got started. This was the first book I read by myself, it's the first time I've seen the cover in 17 years. No idea what's in it anymore.
image.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked