What's your favorite word?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

JCD2k4:

DoPo:
I quite like the German word "Jugendherberge". It means something like "a youth hostel in the mountains" (I hope I didn't get that too wrong).

You got that right. It has nothing to do with mountains though, it simply means youth hostel.

Goddamn my education fails me again. We were told it was like a mountain resort thingie. Then again, our teacher fucking sucked, so I'm not really surprised.

JCD2k4:

DoPo:
Also I have another favourite German word - "Scheisse"... I know it's stupid, it just feels so much better to use that one instead.

Now that's funny. I know a lot of German-speaking people who prefer to use the English word.

Well, I started using it to avoid the English one. Partly because I was sick of using it and partly because it just sounded better in German. It's more expressive, I think. It has more of a punch.

Actually, when I think about it I have other favourite words but they are actually names, so I don't know if they count. But anyway, some of Lovecraft's creations - Shub-niggurath, Hastur, Nyarlathotep and Azathoth. I don't know why, but those four sound the best for some reason.

Revnak:
Vagina. I just love how silly it sounds. I don't know why it spins silly to me, but it just does.

Might I suggest the alternative of Vagoo? If you ask me, it sounds a lot more warm and inviting :P

As for my favorite word, it would have to be Anitediphobia. The fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you. How is that not hilarious?

Phantasmagorical, because it is so phantasmagorical to say. Also, backpfeifengesicht, a German word that roughly translates as "a face in need of a fist". English NEEDS an equivelent of that word.

Cesiumfrancolithicmyxialobidiumrixydixydoxidexidroxhide.

....what? its a perfectly cromulent word!

INCONCIEVABLE!
(Cookie for those who get it)

You have no idea how long i have been waiting for someone to make this topic.
Mine is a toss up between "Manoeuvre" (British spelling) "fluctuating" or "serendipity"
I orgasm'd just saying them.

epiphany
worlds bedst word.

Xenowolf:
backpfeifengesicht, a German word that roughly translates as "a face in need of a fist". English NEEDS an equivelent of that word.

Ok that's amazing.
Is it a literal translation or an idiom?

I'm going to have to go with Synchronous or Excessive they just both sound lovely to me.

Alduin Silas:
INCONCIEVABLE!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

As for my favorite word, it's...indubitably. Most indubitably.

Mine is sort of a phrase you know, I use it all the time you know.
Good Karma to whoever guesses what it is first
NOTICE: you only need 5 brain cells to participate you know.

staika:
My favorite word is Geschirrspülmaschine which is german for dishwasher. The story behind it is a few years ago when I was taking a German class and once we learned that word the entire class would just say it randomly. It was our class word and I have to say it still makes me laugh whenever I say it.

hehe, our class's word is 'Sprudelwasser' (mineral water) or 'Schmetterling' (butterfly)

English: satiate. I _love_ the way it sounds and I love the experience of rolling the word off my tongue.

Turkish: çok (pronounced "chock"). Meaning is like very / so /a lot. You can use it everywhere and it's fun to say.

Vegosiux:

Alduin Silas:
INCONCIEVABLE!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

As for my favorite word, it's...indubitably. Most indubitably.

"Am I going mad, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass. (Keeping with the theme :P)

I don't really know my favorite "beautiful" word, but the funniest is without a doubt "spelunking".

I always giggle a little when I say it.

Spelunking-pfff...

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosos. Also called Silicosis it's a disease contracted by inhaling silica dust. It's also the longest english word to make it into a dictionary.

isishiyagalolunye
Zulu for number 9. pronounced un-shagal-loon-loon-ya, wow is that a hell of a word!

otherwise...

Pillock!

JCD2k4:

DoPo:
Also I have another favourite German word - "Scheisse"... I know it's stupid, it just feels so much better to use that one instead.

Now that's funny. I know a lot of German-speaking people who prefer to use the English word.

The only difference being that non-German speakers who use 'Scheisse' tend to mis-pronounce it...

Oh, how grating it is when someone tries and fails to say 'shithead' in German...

Pffft. Pffft is just so elegant and awesome I always use it. "hey guys I got the new mortal kombat an-" "Pffft."

Ditto, I feel it makes me sound more intelligent, or cunt when people don't believe I am intelligent.

Malty Milk Whistle:

Xenowolf:
backpfeifengesicht, a German word that roughly translates as "a face in need of a fist". English NEEDS an equivelent of that word.

Ok that's amazing.
Is it a literal translation or an idiom?

A literal translation would be "cheek pipe face". A better idiomatic translation would be "a face in need of a slap" since a Backpfeife actually is a slap in the face (cheek).

My favorite word? Fuckton.

My favorite actual word? Schadenfreude.

I would go with the word subtly. That or mahogany. Ma-hogany.

Valve. I love that word so much; two 'V's in one syllable. Delicious.

And no, it has nothing to do with the developer.

Chupacabra. I think it's... Spanish, maybe? It means "goatsucker" anyway, to my knowledge. I just love it anyway. :D An insult that, no matter who says it to whom, leaves a smile on everyone's faces.

In writing: Quixotical. Because whenever I use it in an e-mail, people ask me what the fuck it means while mispronouncing it, so I get to be all smug about it and I'm just an asshole that way.

In general: Saudade. Beautiful word and strikes a chord with me. Nostalgic longing for something lost. As someone fascinated by all the things, knowledge and wisdom lost to our modern times, this pervades most of my worldview. It's probably why I occasionally feel the need to drink an entire bottle of wine in a day.

Noetic, it is just awesome sounding and a fairly cool topic.
For non English. Vintertid, Swedish for "Wintertime" and i hope i spelled it correct

Thundercunt.
It's just got that ring to it, you know?

Oxymoron.
Lol.......moron.
Childish I know but it gets me everytime.

Also hypocrisy.

Azaradel:
Joking aside, probably eldritch. It just sounds so appropriately... y'know... eldritch.

Yes, it is indeed the perfect 2 syllables to describe the horrors of the unknowable places...

And when you are in a bad mood, there is nothing like this:

Moist or sloppy .

Joking, I really love the word Superfluous . It's rolls off of the tongue beautifully and it fantastic to say.

Binnsyboy:

Azaradel:
Not once in my life did I expect to get an excuse to post this:

Joking aside, probably eldritch. It just sounds so appropriately... y'know... eldritch.
I do love swearing,though...

Probably this (the spoilered word) seriously. It's just so therapeutic to say, and rolls right off the tongue.

Other contenders are wench and trebuchet.

Then I feel you may appreciate this.

dvd_72:

Revnak:
Vagina. I just love how silly it sounds. I don't know why it spins silly to me, but it just does.

Might I suggest the alternative of Vagoo? If you ask me, it sounds a lot more warm and inviting :P

As for my favorite word, it would have to be Anitediphobia. The fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you. How is that not hilarious?

Nah, it lacks the rather strange yet comedic appeal of the original to me. It's like that city that sounds like ya booty, but it's a word in my own language.

My favorite word? Hmmm, I know a lot of words. This is going to be tough.
I think I'll go with "Suave". It has this elegant ring to it. I like it.

Also, try to imagine everyone's favorite words being said in a Reaper voice.

I like wigwam and prestidigitation, personally.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked