Is anything so far this year worthy of the " of the year" moniker?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And it could be anything from genre to the overall goty prize. Do you think any of them have edged in yet. Or maybe you have some pre judgements

Maybe you think torchlight 2 will be the best rpg
maybe you think guild wars 2 will be the best mmo
maybe you think Cod: blops 2 will be goty (if this is you, you have all my scorn)

Personally i can't call goty just yet.

But what i can call is shooter of the year, and thats Tribes: Ascend
By a mile. The best thing to happen to the genre in a long time. So long as they keep adding new and interesting content i have no doubts on this one.

I will also put dustforce and journey on the shortlist for indie game of the year, both have thoroughly impressed me.

So do you have any predictions? or any games that have won genre or game/approval so far this year?

GotY already? Man, this is like Christmas: Earlier every year...

I'm assuming you let me future predict since CoD and GW2 are on your list:

When does "The Last of Us" come out...late 2012 release date! That game looks freaking bad-ass and if a company can pull of what they want out of that game, it's Naughty Dog. It being a PS3 exclusive might hurt its chances however.

How about "Assassins Creed 3"...hell yeah! Two for two, October 2012 release date! The AC games have always been pretty sweet but it really needed a change. This looks like that change that could put it back up to GotY potential.

As for things already out:

Depending on how they handle the cluster-fun going on, I'm going to go ahead and put Mass Effect 3 on the potential list. No matter what you think of the ending, most would agree that the 20+ hours leading up to it has been some of the best in a series that was pretty top-notch to begin with.

Despite all the controversy, I'm sure we'll see Mass Effect 3 in the running for GOTY

I bet Journey is going to make an appearance in one way or another.

Half Life 3 probably. LOLOLJKJK. That will be 2041's GotY.

Im hoping The Last of Us will be out this year, and that it's as good as I hope it will be. I know we're overwhelmed with zombie games, but hopefully this one will do it right. (I say that every time...)

I'm hoping either Panderia or Guild Wars 2 will be awesome. Recently finally managed to actually enjoy myself while playing WoW, so maybe MMO is a new big genre for me.

tippy2k2:
When does "The Last of Us" come out...late 2012 release date! That game looks freaking bad-ass and if a company can pull of what they want out of that game, it's Naughty Dog.

I predict Last of Us will disappiont in tremendous fashion. Heard it here first.

I think ME3 would be the biggest "mass freak out" of the year

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I'm hoping either Panderia or Guild Wars 2 will be awesome. Recently finally managed to actually enjoy myself while playing WoW, so maybe MMO is a new big genre for me.

tippy2k2:
When does "The Last of Us" come out...late 2012 release date! That game looks freaking bad-ass and if a company can pull of what they want out of that game, it's Naughty Dog.

I predict Last of Us will disappiont in tremendous fashion. Heard it here first.

This, despite Naughty Dog constantly cranking out quality games. People boarding the hype train on The Last Of Us way too earlier with too little info.

OT: I'm hoping Far Cry 3 will be a contender.

Well, Borderlands 2 is coming out, and I'll be damned if that isn't a contender. I'm still playing BL1 off and on despite beating it more than any other game I can think of beating.

VGA Predictions:

Shooter of the Year: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
RPG of the Year: Mass Effect 3
Action Game of the Year: Max Payne 3
Indy Game of the Year: Journey
Overall Game of the Year: Whatever Game Comes Out Closest to VGAs

Personally, I think Game of the Year goes to Skyrim, since it has already been voted on this very site at the "GREATEST GAME EVER MADE"

Note: To those of you new to the site, seriously, 2 weeks after it came out, the Escapist voted it the best game ever made.

Journey is already my game of the year.

Hell, it's my game of the century.

I can't help but this this is going to be a pretty mediocre year. I could be wrong and am hoping to be wrong but so far this year...wait, they're making a a second Black Ops?! I think I'll just go back to Kid Icarus and wait for autumn before I check again.

imahobbit4062:

Far Cry 3 is something im looking forward to too. Hopefully it will be more like the first one. People are bitching about it, saying its just going to be a game with great graphics where you run around shooting people on a tropical Island.

I say - wheres the problem? Sounds great

AND DAMN. I forgot all about Max Payne 3. That game is going to be so fucking awesome. I can feel it.

EcoEclipse:
Journey is already my game of the year.

Hell, it's my game of the century.

I second this. Everything else that I've seen has just been clones or increments of previous titles. I'm just not seeing a lot of new stuff lately.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

imahobbit4062:

Far Cry 3 is something im looking forward to too. Hopefully it will be more like the first one. People are bitching about it, saying its just going to be a game with great graphics where you run around shooting people on a tropical Island.

I say - wheres the problem? Sounds great

AND DAMN. I forgot all about Max Payne 3. That game is going to be so fucking awesome. I can feel it.

I wouldn't even mind if it was a slightly refined version of Far Cry 2 on a tropical island.

It's been said, but...

Mass Effect 3.

I mean, even the haters say that the first 99% is the best game they've ever played. Sounds like a GOTY to me.

Well for actual gaming magazines/websites/things: Mass Effect 3 and Journey.
For me so far, either Resident Evil Revelations or Operation Raccoon City.
I am betting Warriors Orochi 3 might be my actual GOTY if I get it. (Dynasty Warriors 7 was last years GOTY for me.)
besides that... Resident Evil 6, Assassin's Creed 3, Pokemon Black and White 2, and any other major game by Valve/Bethesda/Nintendo that comes out this year.

Mate i call tell you GW2 will bury WoW under six miles of reinforced concrete if it's getting any better than the current beta, which it is.

The Battlefield 3 upcoming patch will be Patch of the Year.

The Battlefield 3 Close Quarters DLC will be Stupidest DLC Of The Year. (Which I'll probably buy because it looks like it includes the AUG Steyr. I'm a sad bastard.)

Prey 2 will be The Best Game That Doesn't Sell Of The Year.

Hitman: Ablutions will be Game That In No Way Resembles The Games That Came Before It Of The Year.

Nothing out yet that I would consider to be my GOTY contender.

Here's hoping Ghost Recon, Far Cry 3 and Prey 2 (if that even comes out) will be on it.

Well, despite (Yes, this topic is reaching here too, sorry bout that :\) a shitty ending, Mass Effect 3 is already one of my candidates for GOTY.

Don't forget CS:GO is coming out this year, i have the beta, and it's pretty good.

I'm saying probably something like Hitman. Not as my personal GOTY, but the one that gets the useless little badge on the case.

In terms of sales - Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Well, I'm really really hoping that Assassin's Creed III is good enough to be GOTY but there have been some things revealed that are making me cautious.

Worst conduct on behalf of a developer of the year - Bioware

Worst conduct on behalf of a publisher of the year (all years) - Electronic Arts

Best shmup of the year - Realm of the Mad God

So far for me its Total War Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai.

So much.....boom boom, so much bombardment, so much rat-at-at, so much loud bass, one very angry neighbour.

Not when there are games like Bioshock: Infinite and Dishonored waiting in the wings.

Im putting down Journey as art-game of the year.

And im banking on Asura's Wrath being the most unique game of the year.

Signa:
Well, Borderlands 2 is coming out, and I'll be damned if that isn't a contender. I'm still playing BL1 off and on despite beating it more than any other game I can think of beating.

Same here. Shooters with that kind of lifespan are few and far between.

I hope BL2 is a worthy successor.

octafish:
Hitman: Ablutions will be Game That In No Way Resembles The Games That Came Before It Of The Year.

Forgetting DmC: Devil May Cry?

Black Ops 2 and Mass Effect 3 seem the most likely contenders for GOTY.

octafish:

With all their feet dragging, it's not hard to imagine BF3's patch ending up as next years Patch of the Year. Seriously, just release it already DICE. I'm tired of taking 80% damage from falling 3 feet.

And I'm gonna take a wild stab that Hitman: Ablutions would probably be wildly different from the rest of the series. Although I can understand his motives. Some of the stuff people do to public toilets is pretty nasty and he's just making sure they never do it again.

i think Firefall will be the MMO release of the year (yes even with GW2 coming out).

other than that i haven't really looked at the long term release schedules.

its only March ffs! :P

I'm gonna say Mass Effect 3. Seriously, a bad ending doesn't negate the 40+ hours of pure awesome that came before it.

Otherwise I predict Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. It shows that Nintendo can indeed deviate from their usual formulas, and there's no such thing as a main series Pokemon game that ISN'T good.

*Sigh*

Only a few months into the year and we're already stating what "Game of the Year" will be.

Really people? Come on. At least wait until October before you start making the proclamations. What's wrong with having more than one great gaming coming out in a year? Another game being good doesn't somehow magically make the game you liked turn bad.

Nuuu:
Don't forget CS:GO is coming out this year, i have the beta, and it's pretty good.

While I'm doubting it'll be the most played online game this year, I'm willing to bet it'll win most of the "best online game" awards. The hype among the competitive gaming scene has been growing exponentially for CS:GO since it was revealed. And, seeing as competitive gaming has gotten not only more popular amongst gamers and non-gamers, but has also garnered a lot of media coverage for events, CS:GO could have a pretty big impact.

Speculation, of course, but it still seems highly probable. That is, of course, provided Valve doesn't seriously screw up the game somehow. Doesn't seem likely but you never know. Time will tell.

On the other hand, BlOps 2 could come out with some amazing, revolutionary, new mechanics that completely redefine online gaming.

*snirk* Really trying not to laugh at that one. Really am.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
VGA Predictions:
Personally, I think Game of the Year goes to Skyrim, since it has already been voted on this very site at the "GREATEST GAME EVER MADE"

Note: To those of you new to the site, seriously, 2 weeks after it came out, the Escapist voted it the best game ever made.

Something that STILL fascinates me. Not to mention, as far as I'm concerned, being voted "best game ever" only two weeks after release pretty much negates ANY chance of that game ever actually being considered for that title.

Steppin Razor:
Black Ops 2 and Mass Effect 3 seem the most likely contenders for GOTY.

octafish:

With all their feet dragging, it's not hard to imagine BF3's patch ending up as next years Patch of the Year. Seriously, just release it already DICE. I'm tired of taking 80% damage from falling 3 feet.

And I'm gonna take a wild stab that Hitman: Ablutions would probably be wildly different from the rest of the series. Although I can understand his motives. Some of the stuff people do to public toilets is pretty nasty and he's just making sure they never do it again.

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. Hitman: Ablutions, Deus Ex: Human Resources, The Elder Scrolls: Squirm, these are all better names for the games than the ones the developers gave them.

Oh and Planetfall 2 will be The Best Game That Is Crippled By A Lack Of Servers For Regions Other Than North America Of The Year. I'll still play it with a ping in the 600's.

Mass Effect was close. The ending really smacked its chances around though. It still has a chance but Black Ops 2, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and possibly the WoW expansion will likely be in the running. I likely forgot a couple too.

I predict that the VGA's will continue to be a shitty awards show that panders to the douche demographic of the "gaming" community and nominate call of duty (whichever one is inevitably coming out this year) for GOTY.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked