Recommend me some anime.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's sunday night, Im bored, my homework is done, and I dont have class until 4pm tomorrow. I've been wanting to watch some new anime lately, and I figure you guys know what's what. I havent seen much in the line of grown-up anime, mostly just toonami from when I was little. So far, I've only really seen Cowboy Bebop (which was awesome), a few episodes of Trigun (which was... okay), and High School of the Dead (which I really liked, even though it was a little too... boob-tacular for my tastes.)

Bonus points if it's on netflix!

These would be my recent recommendations.
Beyond that, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a definite must-see.

... and I'm sure someone will come along with a link to a megathread.

Here is the chart of Essentials. Read the descriptions and choose what you like. Have fun.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18286588/1319008691061.jpg

Personally I recommend Planetes and Monster, both are fantastic.

MajorTomServo:
It's sunday night, Im bored, my homework is done, and I dont have class until 4pm tomorrow. I've been wanting to watch some new anime lately, and I figure you guys know what's what. I havent seen much in the line of grown-up anime, mostly just toonami from when I was little. So far, I've only really seen Cowboy Bebop (which was awesome), a few episodes of Trigun (which was... okay), and High School of the Dead (which I really liked, even though it was a little too... boob-tacular for my tastes.)

All of Gurren Lagann is on Hulu for free. So go watch it. Like, right now. Go on, I'll wait.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is easily the best recent anime produced, it's been my number one recommended anime for 3 years now.

Soul Eater is pretty good, and I don't even like 'long' series.

anime-planet.com

They have good recs made by other viewers on each page for each anime =|

To Aru Majutsu no Index followed by To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (If you like that kind of thing <3 Misaka Mikoto)

Angel Beats is good, fairly effective at making you tear up for at least feel some emotion, you cold heartless beast =|

Koihime musou if you like ecchi

K-on! if you like moe and cuteness and everyday life kind of stuff

Regnes:
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is easily the best recent anime produced, it's been my number one recommended anime for 3 years now.

Even if you consider brotherhood to be better (which I don't), Wouldn't you agree that you should watch the 2003 one first?

OT: The anime I'm watching at the moment is quickly becoming my all time favorite. It's called mushi-shi. But don't watch it if you want a big epic story arc (for that see Wolf's rain/fullmetal alchemist). It's literally nothing but some guy wandering around from place to place. And I love it.

Also, if you're a musician check out Beck:mongolian chop squad.

Lilani:

MajorTomServo:

All of Gurren Lagann is on Hulu for free. So go watch it. Like, right now. Go on, I'll wait.

It's also on Netflix...
Anyway, I'll add some info to your post.
Only 27 episodes. Quite fun. Nice art style.

Mecha anime about humans forced to live underground breaking out, stealing mecha from their beast men enemies, and generally shouting motivational speeches.

necromanzer52:

Even if you consider brotherhood to be better (which I don't), Wouldn't you agree that you should watch the 2003 one first?

There's no need to watch the 2003 anime, they're both completely separated, the 2003 anime doesn't feature anything important that Brotherhood didn't cover.

necromanzer52:

Regnes:

I (sorry that I'm not the person you asked) would recommend at least watching the first 25 or so episodes of the original series first since Brotherhood wanted to get those episodes out of the way as fast as possible. Watching all of 03 depends on how much you like it.
My only problem with Brotherhood other than that is that it doesn't seem as dark.

Seems like noone mentioned it, so I'd recommend When They Cry. Uh, lemme look up the original title... here: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

It's pretty much like Twin Peaks meets Groundhog Day; I simply couldn't stop watching it after watching the first story arc, and it can even be quite scary sometimes. Yeah, scary; never thought that would work in an anime series.

Talking about scary, there's this pretty creepy series called Ghost Hunt. It can send a few chills down your spines, and is pretty interesting.

MajorTomServo:

Sure shows and movies are great indeed (which they really are) but.. how about something new even for Anime standards? I would like to present you a game where you can download for free.. and that will possibly make an impact on your life even if it's not a major one. Take a look before you decide to download.

Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo

User Review on Katawa Shoujo

Please do give it a chance. I was like most people at first- very hesitant because you know.. it's a Dating Sims game thus it's about dating disabled girls. Nothing wrong with dating real life girls who are disabled but this is an Anime thus probably has some odd crap. Well, let me relieve you that it's actually realistic thus if you're not a fan of adult themes (cause it does have sex scenes) then you can turn it off in the options menu. So have a go at it my friend, see if it'll suit you in the mean time. Let me know what you think after, i'd love to hear your feedback overall! :}

Click Here to Download Katawa Shoujo

Regnes:

necromanzer52:

There's no need to watch the 2003 anime, they're both completely separated, the 2003 anime doesn't feature anything important that Brotherhood didn't cover.

It's just that the first 15 episodes of brotherhood were done so badly. I imagine people not familiar with the 2003 version would be incredibly confused.
Especially when that dark plot twist happens(You know what I'm talking about). It's not nearly as effective in brotherhood, because of the lack of build up.

I'd still recommend both of them though. It's just that I think watching the 2003 version first is a necessity.

necromanzer52:
It's just that the first 15 episodes of brotherhood were done so badly. I imagine people not familiar with the 2003 version would be incredibly confused.

I had watched most of 03 before starting Brotherhood and the first episode still confused me.
"Wait, what's happening?! When does this take place?? They're using stuff without explaining anything! Is this only for people who have watched the original?"
Them bam, we'll start explaining our seemingly random concepts the episodes after so you have to think about how the first episode made sense afterwards.
That was certainly a weird way to start.
I'm also annoyed that certain episodes just got thrown out the window as if they're not important enough. As far as I remember, you have no introduction to that guy with a moustache before he helps Scar, in Brotherhood. Making him seem like a random character.

Most of the ones I would have mentioned have been already so I will just list 3 of my recent favourites:-

K-ON! - certainly not for everyone but worth a look I usually dont like these sort of slice of life shows but this one is a rare exception I enjoyed watching it immensely.

Mirai Nikki future diary - Definitely worth a look, great story and characters reminds me of Deathnote a bit (but the anime is superior imo, not sure about the manga though deathnote probably still takes that) suffice to say a game is set up to determine a new god, a group of people have their diaries transformed to tell the future in certain ways and they have to try and find each others identities and location then kill them. The last surviving becomes the new god of time.

Persona 4 - Exactly like the game pretty much word for word it seems (mostly) and yes it is brilliant I finished the game so I knew exactly what was going to happen but I still enjoyed watching this its not quite as good as Mirai Nikki though IMO.

Viper1265:
Here is the chart of Essentials. Read the descriptions and choose what you like. Have fun.

Every time I see something like this it reminds me of how much anime I have watched over the years :D

The only animes I didn't watch, which are in this collection, are Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume.

OT: If you are looking for a recent anime I would also suggest to watch Nisemonogatari, which is the sequel to Bakemonogatari .

I recently got recommended Sword of the Stranger by Empire.Kas while watching his livestream, and I gotta say... Holy shit was it good. I definitely have to buy it whenever I can. I'll recommend it to you to, since it was fucking amazing.

What is it like? Ninja Scroll - the magic and demon stuff = Sword of the Stranger.
The combat is much better too, but it is much newer than Ninja Scroll (1993 vs 2007) so that is understandable.

And as always, check these out: FLCL, Ghost in the Shell, Birdy: The Mighty, anything by Studio Ghibli, Dragonaut, Zero no Tsukaima (which JUST finished), Gurren Lagaan, Eden of the East, Desert Punk, etc. etc.

I never watch anime on Netflix because I hate dubs. I look at the list of anime on Netflix and then go download it or stream it, lol.
I was going to tell you where I found my download of Sword of the Stranger, but it seems I can't do that here.

Viper1265:

Lol, I've seen half of this list and intend to watch the other half sometime soon (before even seeing this list). This list just reminds me of how much anime I still need to watch.

Fucking Evangelion... I don't want to turn this into a flame war thread, but Evangelion is not a great anime. It is not a good anime. I'd rather watch DBZ for the plot and character development, than watch Evangelion for anything.

Monster, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Code Geass, Death Note, Gungrave are my top 5 (not in that order).

I recommend GetBackers, Hunter x Hunter (watch the old one before the remake), Slayers, & Gintama.

First one is shounen action with some comedy that kinda reminds me of X-Men (& is way better than its manga), the 2ed one is a shounen action that's been a favorite of mine since 2001 & is a very popular manga in Japan, the 3ed is Japan's answer to Dungeons & Dragons with some comedy, & the last one is a shounen action comedy set in what modern day Japan would be if it had never been westernized.

Angel Beats is a wonderful anime that starts off ridiculous and ends sad. I recommend that.

Feel like something different?

Try Mushi-shi. It is with out a doubt the most relaxed anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

A seriously good anime and each episode is self contained and on youtube in full.

Oh hey, it's this thread again. I'd say go to a Japanese animation database (such as Anime News Network or Anime Planet) and look at the highest rated stuff first. And if you find something to your liking search for similar works. It's somewhat more efficient than wading through various favourites lists of other people.

bakan:
The only animes I didn't watch, which are in this collection, are Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume.

If you liked Mind Game you should consider checking out Kemonozume, it's made by the same studio.

Torrasque:

Fucking Evangelion... I don't want to turn this into a flame war thread, but Evangelion is not a great anime. It is not a good anime. I'd rather watch DBZ for the plot and character development, than watch Evangelion for anything.

Just looking at my DP you can see I immensely enjoyed Evangelion, that being said could you give some constructive crtiticism as to why you didn't like Evangelion?

OT:

Chuck another vote up for Gurren Lagann, crisp animation, likable characters, crazy, weird fun.

Also, Evangelion, The story is hard to understand unless you devote your entire attention to it, but apart from that I like it, I would recommend you start with the anime, rather than dive straight into the sub-par remakes.

soul eater, just do it, right now it's amazing

Hmm... I hope you don't mind me using your thread for my own nefarious purposes. Don't want to make a new thread just for a single question.

Anyways... Does anyone know a manga like Vagabond, Shamo, Gantz? Or Berserk before the series went to shit?

Black butler

Darth Carr:

Torrasque:

Just looking at my DP you can see I immensely enjoyed Evangelion, that being said could you give some constructive crtiticism as to why you didn't like Evangelion?

OT:

Chuck another vote up for Gurren Lagann, crisp animation, likable characters, crazy, weird fun.

Also, Evangelion, The story is hard to understand unless you devote your entire attention to it, but apart from that I like it, I would recommend you start with the anime, rather than dive straight into the sub-par remakes.

If you love Cowboy Bebop then you will love this anime Samurai Champloo since it is done by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop.

I liked Ouran High School Host club. You can download every episode here (English Dubbed). http://forum.nihonomaru.com/full-series/125519-%5Be-d%5D-ouran-high-school-host-club-ep-01-26-complete-series.html
I also enjoy Ranma 1/2, but you might find that a little "boob-tacular"...

I just finished watching Usagi Drop and enjoyed it immensely.

likalaruku:
I recommend GetBackers, Hunter x Hunter (watch the old one before the remake), Slayers, & Gintama.

First one is shounen action with some comedy that kinda reminds me of X-Men (& is way better than its manga), the 2ed one is a shounen action that's been a favorite of mine since 2001 & is a very popular manga in Japan, the 3ed is Japan's answer to Dungeons & Dragons with some comedy, & the last one is a shounen action comedy set in what modern day Japan would be if it had never been westernized.

gintama is about japan in the edo period after aliens invade. the main guy is a samurai (who have become obsolete since the amanto invaded) and its basically about him just getting by in day to day life doing odd jobs. its a mix of short arcs, longer arcs and one off episodes.

anyway i would also say monster, FMA and black lagoon for some more serious stuff.

newer stuff i would say sket dance and bakuman

I recommend:
To aru majutsu no index seasons 1 and 2 (A light novel series converted into an anime: Highly recommended. Hell, you can find the translated novels with at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index so I recommend reading them if you wanna get ahead on the story after the anime ends.)
Persona 4 the animation A great game that was made into an anime which is also great. One of the few game to cartoon transitions where they didn't butcher the speechless main character (see Legend of Zelda cartoon for example of what's bad)
History's strongest Disciple Kenichi A great anime about a wimpy kid who learns martial arts and this description doesn't do it much justice, but it's a pretty damn good anime. (contains some ecchi) And an OVA just came out for it like last week.

These are all anime a recommend at the moment. Oh, and also To aru Kagaku no Railgun (maybe, but definitely not until after you watch the first season of To aru Majutsu no Index)(it focuses more on the science side of the anime than the magic side you won't get to see any magicians in railgun sadly.)

Johnnydillinger:
Seems like noone mentioned it, so I'd recommend When They Cry. Uh, lemme look up the original title... here: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

It's pretty much like Twin Peaks meets Groundhog Day; I simply couldn't stop watching it after watching the first story arc, and it can even be quite scary sometimes. Yeah, scary; never thought that would work in an anime series.

Please tell me you didn't watch it dubbed? I'm not a subtitle snob, but I've seen some clips of the english dub of higurashi and it sounded absolutely awful. I recommend it as well (I will say it's among my top ten favorite tv shows period) but definitely watch it with subtitles.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked