Am I the only one sick of hearing about "The Hunger Games" constantly?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Apparently it's a shit version of Battle Royale... Clarification anyone? Cuz Battle Royale was pretty awesome.

I haven't seen any hype for it at all. Are there loads of TV adverts for it or something? I don't watch TV much anymore and there hasn't been a ton of Youtube ads dedicated to it. Thank god.

BRB checking Moviebob's review nao

Naeras:

canadamus_prime:

You realize that's just a turn of phrase, right?

Yes.
Duh.

Don't give me that! If you realize that then why do you insist on making a huge deal out of it?

canadamus_prime:

Naeras:

canadamus_prime:

You realize that's just a turn of phrase, right?

Yes.
Duh.

Don't give me that! If you realize that then why do you insist on making a huge deal out of it?

The phrase ticks me off, someone else posted it before I did, and a webcomic on this very site had already addressed the issue, meaning I had something fitting to post while I'm waiting for my girlfriend to be finished at work.
So yeah, it's mostly because I'm really bored. Is it a huge, life-or-death-reason? No, but hey. It's the internet.

The worst thing that can happen from my post is that someone feels slightly insulted by a person they'll probably never interact with again, internet or not. The best thing that can happen would of course be that one less person in the world uses that phrase. Serious business yo~

Honestly, while I've heard of it, I never realized what a huge phenomenon it apparently is (judging by the box office numbers). Kind of depressing honestly, because it was an extremely mediocre film that plays out as flat and uninspired as its trailer suggests. I've been told the books were better, but I'm kind of past the point of caring now.

Vegosiux:
Uhhh...better stay away from the gaming discussion forum then if you get sick of stuff fast *grin* But yeah I can understand it, hype aversion is something I have a thing with too.

Aerodyamic:

While I know nothing about 'Battle Royale' (and don't have time to google it before work), this sounds like a variation on the theme from 'The Long Walk', 'The Running Man', etc, with kids and a PG-13 rating.

Ummm. No. BR is most definitely not PG-13.

Ah... well, I guess I'll have to use the Googles to investigate more thoroughly, later.

I fo shizzles had no idea what it even was or that it even existed, and neither did anyone I know, before the media started acting like everybody under 25 was into this book like it was pure, uncut, cocaine. Sure, we're swedes so we generally don't know about anything but the weather and what fucking number this week is but I sure wish every media outlet would stop trying to tell me that I know anything about this movie.

So I watched a trailer and it turns out it's about teenagers murdering teenagers because scare tacitcs/entertainment. Because that's a great way for a future dictatorship to show authority, by killing the young of its underlings. No way that can backfire in a guillotiney way. Future dictators need better PR.

Hmm, I still find it odd that some people have seen a whole bunch of hype for this movie, because beyond two previews I saw at the theatre I hadn't seen any ads for it, and I saw it on opening night. Like others have said before me, the real thing I'm sick of hearing about is ME3.

Naeras:

canadamus_prime:

Naeras:

Yes.
Duh.

The phrase ticks me off, someone else posted it before I did, and a webcomic on this very site had already addressed the issue, meaning I had something fitting to post while I'm waiting for my girlfriend to be finished at work.
So yeah, it's mostly because I'm really bored. Is it a huge, life-or-death-reason? No, but hey. It's the internet.

The worst thing that can happen from my post is that someone feels slightly insulted by a person they'll probably never interact with again, internet or not. The best thing that can happen would of course be that one less person in the world uses that phrase. Serious business yo~

It being the Internet does not excuse any sort of imbecilic behavior and I'm sick and tired of people thinking that it does. I'm aware that someone else and a webcomic brought up the issue before you did and that person as well as the author of that webcomic also look like asses for doing it too (Sorry Grey, but it's true).

So your best case scenario is 1 less person using that phrase. Great, infinity minus 1. Pick your battles dude, pick your battles.

To the MODS: I am not trying to insult or flame anyone. I am merely trying to bring to their attention how they come across to others. If I have broken a rule by doing so, then I am sorry.

Nyeeeeh... I don't really mind it, I'm not hyped about it because I'd rather watch Battle Royale to fill in my need for movies about survival games. It's not that hyped over here, there's a few advertisements, a few threads here and maybe a radio review I've heard, other than that I've seen a lot worse.

Meh it's not a new premise it's just repackaged in a way that took. Hell, the ancient Greeks did it first (as far as I know) with the Minotaur myth.

I can sort of relate, I had the same feeling about Harry Potter. I didn't really mind it, it didn't really stir any negativity in me. But everyone seemed to agree that it was my generation's big fantasy epic, yet despite that, and despite the fact that I'm the very model for the type of person who should enjoy it, I couldn't care less for it. And because of that I'm always kind of bothered whenever it's brought up. It's silly, I know :-/

canadamus_prime:

It being the Internet does not excuse any sort of imbecilic behavior and I'm sick and tired of people thinking that it does. I'm aware that someone else and a webcomic brought up the issue before you did and that person as well as the author of that webcomic also look like asses for doing it too (Sorry Grey, but it's true).

I honestly didn't see a problem with it then, and I don't see a problem with it now, as I don't see how harmlessly expressing annoyances* can be considered "imbecilic behavior".

*yes, it's just as harmless as you trying to convince me not to be annoyed by this

So your best case scenario is 1 less person using that phrase. Great, infinity minus 1. Pick your battles dude, pick your battles.

And that is significantly better than the worst case scenario, although far less likely.
It's pretty much like what you're doing now, to be honest: at worst you come across as self-righteous to everyone reading your posts, at best you'll make one less person post snarky, unnecessary posts when they're bored. The chance of that person doing that is pretty small, but hey, at least it's worth a shot.

To the MODS: I am not trying to insult or flame anyone. I am merely trying to bring to their attention how they come across to others. If I have broken a rule by doing so, then I am sorry.

If the mods take offense in your posts, there's something seriously wrong with the mods on this site. =)

1) no your aren't the only one.

2) i donno where you are where its 'all over the place' but it isn't here or where i live

the Mass Effect 3 pissing and moaning on the other hand .......

Wow, the sheep crying "BATTLE ROYALE RIPOFF" arrived rather quickly this time.

I didn't know what the whole fuss was about until I watched TGWTDT on the cinema and they ran a commercial about it.

Dystopian future, and people have bows?

If they went with the "survivalist" theme then the books could have been set in a fantasy world.

Vegosiux:
Ummm. No. BR is most definitely not PG-13.

You dun goofed.

He meant that the book (and the movie) are watered down versions.

Actually, the only place I hear about it is on this site. I haven't seen any posters or TV trailers. There was a snippet on BBC News when it needed to be cut to make the age rating it wanted in this country, but that's about it.

Marter:
Nope. Not at all.

Yeah, I think your av says it all. ;)

it seems like something that should be cool. I mean tweens killing each other? Right on, all Battle Royale style or like that WWE Film The Condemned.

But it looks so fucking twilightly. I swear all I see in the promotional materials are just that pale bella-looking chick wearing the leather coat, trees and a overcast sky.

Why can't we get a ballsy movie where the tween idol take a bullet to the face?

Wow do you guys sound really hipsterish with your eighties movies and your Greek myth references. And I know hipster, I'm from Oregon. It seems you guys were into gladiator matches way before it was cool.

Atrocious Joystick:

So I watched a trailer and it turns out it's about teenagers murdering teenagers because scare tacitcs/entertainment. Because that's a great way for a future dictatorship to show authority, by killing the young of its underlings. No way that can backfire in a guillotiney way. Future dictators need better PR.

Well, that's sort what books 2 and 3 cover. However, realistically, it wouldn't have taken until the 75th year of this crap for someone to have the brilliant idea of rebelling.

I've worked at a video-store for going on four years now. You just learn to tune such fads out after working with the crap for a while. Lucky for me, I guess.

Hannabella Doe:
But I'm sick of just hearing about it.

You do realize the irony in talking about how you are sick of people talking, right?

I do take a little issue with Bob's assertion that it's a tween girl movie/book. Audiences were 40% male. Yeah, it's a toned down Battle Royale. A drama version instead of an action version. Of course, I think that would mean more if by and large American audiences knew anything about Battle Royale. Heck, I've used HG to send people to BR. Read both novles, seen both movies. Liked both. Yeah, they hype is high. Wait a couple weeks, it will be something else.

Nope. I've actually never heard of "The Hunger Games" up until just yesterday.

It sounds utterly terrible as it takes the great ideas of The Running Man, and The Condemned and adds even more characters so there is even less to care about than ever before.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be big. It seems incredibly generic.

rhizhim:

Hannabella Doe:
I have nothing against the series or people who love the series. But I'm sick of just hearing about it. With me personally it's just meh, It's not the worst series but at the same time it's not the best. So again; am I the only one who is sick and tired of constantly hearing people talk about The Hunger Games?

arent you more sick about people complaining about mass effect 3 or the twilight abomination saga?

I'm actually wondering why people are freaking out over the mass effect 3 ending. What happened exactly?

Belaam:

Hannabella Doe:
But I'm sick of just hearing about it.

You do realize the irony in talking about how you are sick of people talking, right?

I do take a little issue with Bob's assertion that it's a tween girl movie/book. Audiences were 40% male. Yeah, it's a toned down Battle Royale. A drama version instead of an action version. Of course, I think that would mean more if by and large American audiences knew anything about Battle Royale. Heck, I've used HG to send people to BR. Read both novles, seen both movies. Liked both. Yeah, they hype is high. Wait a couple weeks, it will be something else.

Yes I realize the irony (even if I don't know what irony means any more, thank you Alanis Morissette) but it's not only people talking about it, but also the media, and seeing things about it everywhere. But I guess you're right, in a week, it will hopefully calm down.

Like someone else said, I never even heard about this until the hype for the movie. Also...

Whitbane:
Battle Royale was better. More brutal, more disturbing and it made me feel terrible for watching something like it.

This. The thing about Battle Royale is that the (brief) set up makes the idea behind the story hold up. The Hunger Games doesn't. While I didn't mind the film so much (apart from the usual 'Its the future! Everyone has retarded outfits and hair and frigging names!') I never felt for one moment that the central concept of the Game was realistic. I just couldn't accept that anyone would accept choosing CHILDREN as sacrifices to fight each other to the death for NO REAL REASON!!! To what? Stop an uprising or something? Yeah, because a totalitarian state FORCING children to kill each other for the sake of maintaining said totalitarian state wont make people angry and want to rise up will it? And guess what happens...

Whereas in Battle Royale the way the whole system was set up and implemented felt far more... real for the setting of the world.

You know what I'm sick of?

People complaining that they're sick of seeing articles/threads/commercials of (insert popular product here)

What exactly do you expect, for the majority just to say "Hey, there's a couple people over here that don't want to talk about this stuff, LET'S STOP TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT INTERESTS US TO MAKE THEM HAPPY."?

News-flash, if you don't want to talk about it, don't click it. If you want more variety, make your own friggin thread.
IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

On topic, I haven't heard much of anything about The Hunger Games until I clicked on this topic. I did go to see it in the theatres, and I enjoyed it. I don't think it's anywhere near groundbreaking, but I did think it's one of the better films I've seen in the last couple of years.
Plus, it was the first time I saw the previews for Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, so there's that.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Oh yeah, and I forgot to say.

YOU

ARE

NEVER

THE

ONLY

ONE

PLEASE, UNDERSTAND THIS! I swear, it should be against the forum rules to make a thread that begins with "Am I the only one who..."

The only thing more annoying than someone saying "Am I the only one..." is someone else posting in the thread with "NO YOU AREN'T".

I read the first book. It was okay, I might give the movie a try when it comes out on dvd. Not annoyed by the marketing though, I really don't care.

Whitbane:
Battle Royale was better. More brutal, more disturbing and it made me feel terrible for watching something like it.

Not only that but BR explored the realities of each character/group and didn't have a defined "these are good, these are bad" character hierarchy like the Hunger Games does. That sense of shared humanity BR gives to the audience makes a difference in how you watch the film and see the characters. Moviebob really hits the nail on the head when he said that the Hunger Games was cheap, generic and lifeless because it lacked the depth that BR had.

If the OP truly needs to ask this question, then let me pontificate as clearly as possible:

YOU.
ARE.
NEVER.
THE.
ONLY.
ONE.

EVER.

For the record, I quite enjoyed the movie, and I'm going to begin reading the books ASAP.

Half of the book was boring, but once I got to the part with the kids killing each other everything went alright. Haven't seen the movie though.

kortin:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Oh yeah, and I forgot to say.

YOU

ARE

NEVER

THE

ONLY

ONE

PLEASE, UNDERSTAND THIS! I swear, it should be against the forum rules to make a thread that begins with "Am I the only one who..."

The only thing more annoying than someone saying "Am I the only one..." is someone else posting in the thread with "NO YOU AREN'T".

No, not really. The am I the only one posters are definitely more annoying.

Basically no, there are plenty of other people who are also sick of it. Not me though, the only thing I've been exposed to about it has been the occasional TV ad and constantly hearing ads on spotify for it (Perhaps I should fork out for spotify premium...). I barely even know the synopsis of the thing, let alone anything about it.
Generally I've noticed that it's not the best idea to begin a thread with the phrase 'Am I the only one who X', because it will probably provoke a reaction to what you actually said, rather than what you meant. Irritating I know, but hey - It's the internet!

I'd never heard of it till last week. Saw the film, thought it was ok, it had some interesting ideas, decided to get the book to see what the fuss is all about. I'm probably slightly too old and too male to get into it properly but as long as it's better than the mess that was Twilight I have no problem with it.

Might sling it the way of my little sister, try and steer her away from sparkly, wannabe emos.

Naeras:

Alright, point taken; although in my case there's a significantly better Best Case Scenario. In my case the Best Case Scenario is that I manage to convince a large number of people to stop making snarly comments and harassing people on the internet about insignificant things that don't mean shit. Although there are better odds of me sprouting wings and flying off to NeverLand than of that happening.
In your case, even if you achieved the best case scenario you'd still have a seemingly infinite number of people still using that phrase which you hate so much (although why it bugs you is beyond me); which is what I meant by "infinity minus (or "subtract" if you want to be anal about it) 1." What are you left with when you take away 1 from infinity? You're still left with frikin' infinity.

Hannabella Doe:
I have nothing against the series or people who love the series. But I'm sick of just hearing about it. With me personally it's just meh, It's not the worst series but at the same time it's not the best. So again; am I the only one who is sick and tired of constantly hearing people talk about The Hunger Games?

I am, my sister loves the hunger gamees and keeps talking my ear off about it. I get her to give up though, I ask her what it's about and then after every sentence she utters I go "so it's just like Battle Royale" that shuts her up AND annoys her lol

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked