Warhammer 40k question: Would the Imperium of Man ban rock and roll?

I'm in the middle of writing my terrible Warhammer 40k fanfic when the subject of rock and roll came up. Which made me stop and think "Wait, would that be considered heresy?" I looked it up and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know?

Since the age of 13 I was always perplexed by the very limited mention of music in 40k. There's just lot a lot on the subject of music in the Imperium, bar hymns and battle chants. So I have no idea.

Well considering I know people today who say "Music that doesn't MENTION jesus/god in a positive way is not allowed in this house/evil."

I'm gonna say no, the emprah' does not allow anything that doesn't sound like a catholic hymn.

Allthingsspectacular:
I'm in the middle of writing my terrible Warhammer 40k fanfic when the subject of rock and roll came up. Which made me stop and think "Wait, would that be considered heresy?" I looked it up and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know?

I'd like to think they wouldn't, but I also like to think that it's the music of the Noise Marines.

Anyone remember Noise Marines back when their weapons were actually guitar cannons? That was cool.

It really depends on the world, on some worlds there would only be hymns. But on other worlds they could have any amount of music they wanted.

I remember in the ultramarines omnibus i read that one of the characters went to a show, and from my understanding it was a cross of industrial and techno.

Allthingsspectacular:

Does anyone know?

Nope. Like anything else in 40K, it would be taken to it's logical conclusion. And by that, I mean this.

You let teenagers listen to that demon music, they'll turn to Slaanesh worship and next thing you know you've gotta call in an exterminatus.

I bet the music would SUCK.

It'd either be nothing but racist, or pro-war, or religious, or all three in one magically crappy song.

The way I imagine imperium forces is orchestral for the puritans and metal for the radicals. I can't think of a reason they would outright ban it, it just wouldn't really exist. In the grim future of the 41st millennium there is only music that you can make a badass entrance to.

I'm going to say no. They wouldn't. Maybe they're strict in specific locations, but with all the hive cities and trader fleets and shit, I doubt anybody is going to want to listen to monotone church music all day long.

Blobpie:
It really depends on the world, on some worlds there would only be hymns. But on other worlds they could have any amount of music they wanted.

I remember in the ultramarines omnibus i read that one of the characters went to a show, and from my understanding it was a cross of industrial and techno.

Yeah, one of the gangers was going to some dance club and the music was insanely loud. I think it's like you said, it just vairous from world to world. Church music on the more holy worlds/locations but more wild stuff in the hives and fleets.

The imperium is a big place. Raves, grunge, metal, they all exist in the hives. Ecclesiarch planets probably won't, frontier worlds probably wouldn't. Death Worlds would be too busy trying not to die. The answer is yes though, in the hiveworlds, in the pits of scum, pollution, rampant drug use etc etc fucking yes it would exist. All forms of music would exist. A billion worlds with more men per hive than our planet has on the entire surface there is bound to.

Also: http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics12/img4742510e3412a.jpg

and http://www.deviantart.com/download/51633616/ORKZ_by_flyingdebris.jpg

Orks had a whole subfaction for Rokkas.

Edit: Crap. Posted in reply not edit -_-

Hmm, wouldn't it be seen as a sign of corruption by the inquisition? you know, cause of Noise Marines and all.

Depends on where you are. If you're on a holy world, think medieval sacred music. If you're on a hive-world, there's probably going to be some kind of experimental genre.

Being a bit of a 40k nut, I'll vote no as long as the music has nothing to do with anything warp/chaos and/or loving the xenos related in it. Otherwise, why not?

Just change the words of the Kiss song to "Emperor gave rock and roll to you" and your good.

The Imperium has thousands of worlds with different cultures, all of whom not only express their affection for the Emperor in different ways, but also relax and chill out in different ways. Not only would they be okay with it's existence, it probably does exist on some world. However, it goes without saying that Slanesshi cults would pervert it.

A lot of people seem to overestimate just how oppressive the Imperium is. I recommend reading some Commisar Cain novels.

Rock is played by the orks *points at Goff Rokkas", so yeah I think it is heresy :P
Noise Marines don't really play coherent music though, more just wailing and screaming.

But I don't think the Imperium really ban that sort of music, but based on the Horus Heresy books I get a feeling it sort of died long before 40k...

In Fulgrim, I'm pretty sure one of the characters is a singer. Don't know what genre though.

KISS for the 41st millennium, Knights In Slaneesh's Service. The old Noise Marines used electric guitars as weapons. I don't reckon they would allow it, anything different is wrong in their opinion. If it ain't hymns and chants then it will be hunted down and destroyed.

There are a few mentions of music in the 40k universe (Mostly in some of Abnett's side-story books interestingly) and generally they are keeping with what you would imagine in anything related to 40k. The general 'Imperium' kind of music is operas and classical symposiums, very late-Renaissance/Early WW1 style music. They're even played on old record-players like what you think about particularly old music.

There is also mentions of things such as 'Beat' (I believe it's called, it has a name similar to that. Thump maybe?) that is more like club music, as well as mentions of rock and such. It is very specific to the culture and to how 'liberal' they are. If you know anything about 40k, they take a very dim view on anything liberal, but it exists, usually as an underground sort of thing.

As far as Emperor's Children and the Noise Marines go - if you want to qualify that as music, think about the most gnarly, hardcore, screamiest discordant black metal you can find on youtube (Gotta love Noise Marines). GEnerally, though, they would prefer to just listen to completely discordant, chaotic noise.

Tanis:
I bet the music would SUCK.

It'd either be nothing but racist, or pro-war, or religious, or all three in one magically crappy song.

I take you hate classic music then? With all those martial marches, racist operas and mass hymns...

Good for you.

OT: Humm, i would assume most rock is if anything made by orkz in the warhammer universe.

SL33TBL1ND:
In Fulgrim, I'm pretty sure one of the characters is a singer. Don't know what genre though.

She is described like a Primadona, so I am thinking Opera of some kind. Man Fulgrim was a good book... they even had the phrase "Eldrar Trickery" in there :P

.. thinking about it, wasn't there mention of some sort of metal concert thing attended by the Mechanicus?

Think about the slogan "in the grim darkness of the future there is only war" so there would be no time for music, or taking a shit, or baking a cake, just war. I guess music would be accepted if you made it in praise of the emperor, like rock n roll with the general theme of the emperor being awsome would be ok, but I am not sure what the emperium of man are like, I imagine them as a totalitarian state like in George Orwell's 1984. Think about it like this if no one says you cant do it, then GO FOR IT. Just make sure it seems in keeping with the stories back ground.

I'd think so. Doesn't really fit the Imperium aesthetic and in Warhammmer seems to value aesthetic before all else.

Rock is soo ork(I just imagine them having a born tendency to rock among all the Waaaaghing and improbable gun building).

Note that all my knowledge comes from DoW and wikis.

EDIT: Yeah, don't let my opinion stop you. Someone made a chaos lumberjack work in response to 4chan trolling, so rock 'aint that much of a stretch.

Kahunaburger:
You let teenagers listen to that demon music, they'll turn to Slaanesh worship and next thing you know you've gotta call in an exterminatus.

You always have the perfect thing to say for anything Warhammer. Though personally I would have said Khorne. Blood, skulls, death etc associated with metal.

Waaghpowa:

Kahunaburger:

You always have the perfect thing to say for anything Warhammer. Though personally I would have said Khorne. Blood, skulls, death etc associated with metal.

Slaanesh has the noise marines though, so all points to her.

If you read some of the novels, although they're most uncanon. It delves a bit deeper into the kind of societies the Imperium covers. And I do mean that in a plural sense. They're not all really part of the same collective because of how vast and ill equipped to communicate some of the colonies are.

But any way, the universe as someone like Dan Abnett writes it is very, very bleak and very authoritarian.

Whatever they don't think they can't control... Well Exterminatus.

Having said that, all the forge worlds and such are riddled with drugs and underground clubs. So although the official word by the ministorum would likely be a resounding no, I think it'd be hard to impose that law in the slums of literally trillions of forgeworlds.

ace_of_something:
Well considering I know people today who say "Music that doesn't MENTION jesus/god in a positive way is not allowed in this house/evil."

I'm gonna say no, the emprah' does not allow anything that doesn't sound like a catholic hymn.

Odd since a lot of them look like they came from the album cover of a Heavy/death metal band.

Probably. They might get away with it on some of the outer systems but anywhere near Terra and I'd imagine it to be considered as highly heretical.

I'm sure RockNRoll would be permitted...

By duly authorised, vetted and screen musicians, cus after all "God-Empra Gave Rock n Rollll to youuu "

The Imperium is a vast and varied place. It would most definitely vary from world to world.

verdant monkai:
Think about the slogan "in the grim darkness of the future there is only war" so there would be no time for music, or taking a shit, or baking a cake, just war. I guess music would be accepted if you made it in praise of the emperor, like rock n roll with the general theme of the emperor being awsome would be ok, but I am not sure what the emperium of man are like, I imagine them as a totalitarian state like in George Orwell's 1984. Think about it like this if no one says you cant do it, then GO FOR IT. Just make sure it seems in keeping with the stories back ground.

Go back to your space twilight kid. This is an adult discussion.

Any type art is under scrutiny by all forms of inquisition. After-all expression of ones self is a step away from service to their beloved god emperor. Rock/metal better be much like christian rock, techno would probably be watched because of it's low bass hits being the cause of sensation (That DJ's a Noise Muhreen!) and i'm sure even other genre's would be scrutinized because of their lyrics.

So to summarize. Yes Rock would be heresy because it's not going to always be pro imperium, pro God Emperor.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked