What is your opinion on hitting a woman?
Never ever under any circumstance
10.5% (94)
10.5% (94)
I'd never hit a woman, I'd only hit a woman back
30.3% (271)
30.3% (271)
Her gender is irrelevant to my decision
49.7% (444)
49.7% (444)
I pimpslap chicks on a daily basis
3.9% (35)
3.9% (35)
I am a woman
4.9% (44)
4.9% (44)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would you ever hit a woman?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I'm quite curious as to the popular opinion on this topic. Traditional values say we should not hit anyone, ESPECIALLY women. But now with equality and all that, perhaps the common consensus has shifted?

What is your opinion?

I'll tell you my story:
In year 9, a girl in my science class named Danielle would, every second day, sneak up to me and slap me across the face - hard. She'd then laugh and waltz off, knowing she was untouchable.
After a week and a half of this, I saw her coming. She went in for a slap, I caught her arm with mine and backhanded her as hard as I could with the other. She never bothered me again, and I was cheered.

I believe I acted properly. Do you?

women are generally weaker and generally (when hit by a man) recieve alot more damage, its not a fair fight

I wouldnt condone hitting anyone relardless of gender...unless its under certain circumstancses

liek say shes coming at you with a knife

as for me yeah...if I had to reason to hit a girl I would..we would be on an even playing feild afterall

Depends on the situation. I'm not into hitting people in general but if she poses a threat to my safety and others I will. If it's in good fun I will, but lightly ;).

Pretty sure 'traditional values' don't say not to hit anyone. If so a special prohibition on women would be quite irrelevant.

And I'd hit a woman if the situation calls for it, same as a guy. Self defense being the only real thing I can think of.

Vault101:
women are generally weaker and generally (when hit by a man) recieve alot more damage, its not a fair fight

I don't think generally weaker has much to do with a specific girl hitting you. Also if someone attacks me, even without a knife, would it really matter if they're weaker than me? Still should be able to defend myself.

The idea of a fair fight seems odd to me. When you go into a fight does fairness matter at all? Presumably you think you're right, the other person is wrong, so you should win. I wouldn't care for them to have a good chance at winning, I just want them to lose.

Edit: I think this is the first time I kind of directly took issue with something you've said o__O

I wouldn't hit anyone, regardless of sex.

The only thing that would make me hit someone is self-defence if I needed to, like pushing/punching them away from me if they were laying in to me.

I once did, in primary school.
She was bigger and stronger than me though :)
I punched her in the face, then her head hit a wall, bounced back and hit my fist again. It was hilarious (to me, not to her).

Depends on the situation, I wouldn't hit any one out of pure anger. But if they were attacking me I would hit back

Well i have a policy to never start brawls with anyone, so that would mean that she was the one who decided to take the conflict into fisticuffs territory. In that case i would have no qualms about hitting a woman, equal oppurtunity for all i say!

In self defense, I certainly would.
Just as I would a man. I don't really hit people though.
The only time I can remember that I've supposedly hit someone was in kindergarten. A kid was being an asshole, so I pushed him to the ground, jumped on top of him and started wailing on him with my fists.
I can't remember the incident myself, but I've been told about it by a friend who was there.

Well I wouldn't go looking for a fight with one, but I say if she lays her hands on you (violently) then a man has every fucking right to defend himself. If a woman slapped me, I'd slap her back. If she hit me square in the jaw, I'd do the same thing. I wouldn't overreact to it, but I certainly wouldn't stand for her action.

I would never hit anyone at all, not even in retaliation or in self defence. If someone bigger than me attacked me for whatever reason, fighting them would be stupid because I would lose. If someone smaller than me attacked me for whatever reason, fighting them would make me an asshole because I would win. The only reasonable thing to do is run, run away.

manic_depressive13:
I would never hit anyone at all, not even in retaliation or in self defence. If someone bigger than me attacked me for whatever reason, fighting them would be stupid because I would lose. If someone smaller than me attacked me for whatever reason, fighting them would make me an asshole because I would win. The only reasonable thing to do is run, run away.

Why would you be an asshole for winning when they started it?

Only if it was self-defense and I mean genuinely in fear of my life, not she hit first. Like if I'm on the ground as drunken bogan teenage girls kick the shit out of me or something.

Mortai Gravesend:

Because it's not okay to hit people.

manic_depressive13:

Mortai Gravesend:

Because it's not okay to hit people.

Even if it's to get them to stop hitting you? Really strong pacifist, eh?

Edit: Not to say that's bad. Just don't think I've seen someone else who feels that strongly about it.

"Her gender is irrelevant to my decision"

I think any other answer is sexist.

Does "a few inches away from breaking her arm" count? Because... well, that happens during my martial arts training on regular basis : /

Meh, if I'm about to hit someone the person must have some treats to them like a certain physical fitness (or being annoying and aggressive as fuck and attacking me with serious aftermath for me). Then I'd hit the person without actually regarding the gender. You attack me and make me feel in danger, I attack back.

Don't think your poll has enough options.

I guess I will either put gender is irrelevant or never under circumstances, cause I wouldn't hit anyone unless my or anothers safety is in danger.
I am a woman, but I'm not going to vote `I am a woman` because that tells you nothing really does it?

I dont believe this `equality means you can hit women` mentality, I would have thought equality means you shouldn't hit men. Generally you should not hit anyone, I thought that was well known.

But, really? Did we need this topic? The vast majority of the escapists attitude to gender politics is well represented. They dont need another soapbox.

Self-defence yes, but I guess in any other situation society dictates that I shouldn't.

Yes. If wrong has been done and the proper authorities are absent or simply don't care (I live in england, so they usually don't in my experience. Unless you're rich...) nothing should immediately protect evil people from intervention, not gender, sexual persuasion, race, disability, not anything.

People seem to forget what "equality" really means. Everyone treated the same, legally and ethically. It does not mean "certain groups are less viable for intervention of any kind against their wrongdoings because we're trying to be equal". This is a step back.

i dont hit anyone ever regardless of gender. Pacifist buddhist over here, no violence, just causes suffering

I would never attack a woman, and if she attacked me first, I wouldn't try to hit her, I would go for an arm lock or something to restrain her. If that didn't work, and she kept trying to hit me, then I would probably resort to hitting her back.

I've punched a girl, was in high school though and she did hit first but I'm a girl as well... I'd rather not hit anyone but if some crazy girl is trying to claw my eyes out again I will probably punch her.

No. If it's a situation where it would be self-defense, I'd rather make use of running-away fu.

If she's actually trying to kill me (for whatever reason), then yes, out of self-defence I would.
But under almost any other situation I wouldn't.

If anyone gets to me enough, if they lose respect for the fact that they're dealing with a dangerous animal like any other-- something I always keep in mind dealing with other people-- and if they really push it, I'll hit them regardless of their shape and genitalia, regardless of their strength relative to mine and any other concern you might incorrectly assume would mitigate my behaviour.

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Don't be stupid with people, don't take unnecessary risks with unknown quantities and you won't end up on the ground with wonky teeth.

I would be reluctant but still defend myself, luckily this has never come up with anyone but my sister.
However I would never aim to harm anyone... unless they really pushed it way past my breaking point, but I do know my way around a shovel so that's all solvable.

But for the most common female attack I suggest my male compadres keep a set of earplugs in their pockets at all times, your sanity will be grateful.

Yes, I would... and I have. I even hit my ex-girlfriend if it matters.

However, context is everything. I like Muay Thai... and so do a lot of my friends, girls included. Granted, there's no full contact when sparring, and we do pull our punches, but hits are hits, so *meh*.

Normally, though, I wouldn't hit anyone unless they were starting something with me. A shove is as far as it goes and I won't do anything unless they swing first.

I just don't hit people.
Unless they're really asking for it. Like they hit me first. Then I'll punch them in the face, no matter their gender or age (seriously, even if they're 80. Especially if they're 80. They should know better).

Unless she was a lot bigger than me, knew how to fight, or had a weapon, no.

heres the thing

Man or Woman. if your being a arsehole and making someones life miserable, then i don't care whats between your legs

Gender equality

I wouldn't go around hitting people willy-nilly, but I'd hit a girl for (most of) the same reasons I'd hit a guy for.

Certainly. Gender equality goes both ways. If my sister is allowed to punch me because I plug my ipod into the car stereo, I am entitled to do likewise when she puts her Glee on.
Its only fair, really.

It all depends on the situation. I normally wouldn't hit anyone. I'm a pretty calm guy. And I wouldn't hit a woman unless she did something extremely drastic. I'm pretty physically capable and I'm not always aware of my own strength. Or so I'm told. For the sake of argument lets say if a woman were to kill my entire family in front of me. You can bet your ass I'd hit her. I'd do more than that. I'd kill her with pleasure.

Or if I had to slap a woman to save my own life. Sure, why not?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked