What is your opinion on hitting a woman?
Never ever under any circumstance
10.5% (94)
10.5% (94)
I'd never hit a woman, I'd only hit a woman back
30.3% (271)
30.3% (271)
Her gender is irrelevant to my decision
49.7% (444)
49.7% (444)
I pimpslap chicks on a daily basis
3.9% (35)
3.9% (35)
I am a woman
4.9% (44)
4.9% (44)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would you ever hit a woman?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Revolutionaryloser:

Mortai Gravesend:

Revolutionaryloser:

Well, you see in universities we do things slightly differently to how you do it on the Internet. Maybe that is my fault. I can't prove anything regarding objective truths to you through logic or facts because such is the nature of the universe. What I can do is talk about relative facts and relative truth. However, I suspect you have no idea what relative means so as a bit of advice I think you should look up relativity and its practical applications to human knowledge.

Captcha: gift horse

You amuse me. You babble, pretending you have some kind of intellectual high ground, but the problem is you're all talk and no substance. See, in universities where we don't buy degrees saying "I did research!" means jack shit without, you know, anything to back it up.

You babble about relative 'facts' and truth but have nothing to back them up, merely your word. And what is claimed with no support can be dismissed just as easily.

I know what relative means. You're the one with some idiotic idea that you can have a 'best' relative truth, which goes to show that you probably just vomit the word as often as you can without realizing you're supposed to actually treat it differently from an objective issue.

Whatever. Seriously. Whatever you say. You know you are arguing with yourself at this point.

No, pretty sure I was arguing with some guy who had the bizarre delusion that just saying "I did research" actually gives him authority. And babbling about how at his university yadda yadda yadda. But whatever lets you live with yourself.

I wouldn't hit a woman. if she attacked me for some reason, i would defend myself, but I wouldn't hit her.

this actually happened to me in tenth grade. this bitch who would do anything to make others miserable came up to me and said that I had taken her seat on a bench. I didn't, but obviously she didn't listen to me and she started kicking me and hitting me and pulling my hair* and since i don't hit women I just grabbed her hands and waited for her to cool down. That took a while though, she tried to kick me for a while and after a few minutes of this she gave up and walked away and I sat down and continued what I was doing.

*is there a word for this? pulling the hair of someone i mean

EDIT: damn, wrote hair as hear 3 times in this post. why do you try to confuse me English language?

I have hit a woman before, just like I've hit a guy.

Not once have I hit first. It was always in retaliation and always in control. They strike me, I strike back harder to let them know that I won't tolerate being struck. That's their warning. If they stop after that point then so will I. If not then I will end the fight. I won't go berserker rage and have to be dragged off them, I'll just make it so they cannot continue to attack me, nothing more.

I hope I never really have to hit anybody outside of controlled sparring but that's how it'll go down if it happens.

It would depend on the conditions. If a woman was threatening me, by all means I would take her down using only the force I feel is necessary, preferably to restrain by grappling (having the weight and strength to do so), but if needed I would strike her down

I don't like hitting people at all--unless it is my friends, and that is just friendly bops back and forth--but if a woman hit me, you bet your ass I'd hit her back. If women want equality, they have to be willing to accept all parts of it, not only the parts they want.

I'd hit anyone who'd hit me, male or female, and I don't expect to get away with shit just because I have a vagina. Equality is equality, not just when it's convenient.

Zachary Amaranth:

Vault101:
women are generally weaker and generally (when hit by a man) recieve alot more damage, its not a fair fight

Ah yes, woman-on-woman sexism. One of the few types of discrimination still considered acceptable.

Its not sexism.....

if it werent true then how come we speerate men/women in the olympics?

spoiler tags for length!

One's genitals generally have nothing to do with whether or not I would strike them, and assuming so is very odd to those of us who happily live on carefully-thought-out-genderless-land.

Aprilgold:
[snip.

I know...they arnt (I'm still baffled as to why...for some reason I am "entitled" to have the door held open for me or being allowed to go into the elevator at work first..)

ok..mabye instead of genralisations we should look at induvidual cases, but I still think men are "built" to be stronger...

Well, i am a pacifist and the likelyhood of me hitting anyway in these times of my pacifism are very small.

so i chose the middle one

6SteW6:

She was uninjured in the fall luckily, but do you know what she did? She got a gang of guys to go after my buddy and try to beat the shit out of him for defending himself. They did too, because they were brought up to never hit a woman. He got a beating but that girl never bothered him again.

Those are the people that really bug me on this issue. The god damn thugs that will go and beat up a guy for daring to defend himself because their backward sexist views say he shouldn't be able to.

rutger5000:

Mortai Gravesend:

manic_depressive13:
I would never hit anyone at all, not even in retaliation or in self defence. If someone bigger than me attacked me for whatever reason, fighting them would be stupid because I would lose. If someone smaller than me attacked me for whatever reason, fighting them would make me an asshole because I would win. The only reasonable thing to do is run, run away.

Why would you be an asshole for winning when they started it?

For he's supposed to be the bigger men when he can help it. Retaliating just beecause you can for your opponent is weaker then you, is just picking on the weak. manic_depressive13 is completly right.

Yeah it's best to let them beat you or harrass you imho, best policy around. If you stand your ground, obviously you're an asshole and deserve to be picked on!

Mortai Gravesend:

Isn't he scum for beating someone up in the first place, not because of anything to do with relative strength though? I don't see why the issue would be possible defense so much as whether the application of force was justified at all.

I'd say in some cases there's a difference

like a guy who goes out and gets into a nasty bar fight with another guy...yeah he's probably an unpleasant person

a guy who periodically hits his wife for so many years...causing her physical and psychological harm...Id say is a special kind of scum...unlike the other guy in the barfight she cant "hitback" because he's physically stronger

Vault101:

Mortai Gravesend:

Isn't he scum for beating someone up in the first place, not because of anything to do with relative strength though? I don't see why the issue would be possible defense so much as whether the application of force was justified at all.

I'd say in some cases there's a difference

like a guy who goes out and gets into a nasty bar fight with another guy...yeah he's probably an unpleasant person

a guy who periodically hits his wife for so many years...causing her physical and psychological harm...Id say is a special kind of scum...unlike the other guy in the barfight she cant "hitback" because he's physically stronger

True, he is worse for his continued abuse. But does his strength really have anything to do with it? What if the person he was abusing just refused to defend themselves? I mean clearly there's more going on that simple lack of strength since they're not going to the police or doing other various things strength won't matter in, so I don't think it's inconceivable that they could possibly fight back.

Mortai Gravesend:
[
True, he is worse for his continued abuse. But does his strength really have anything to do with it? What if the person he was abusing just refused to defend themselves? I mean clearly there's more going on that simple lack of strength since they're not going to the police or doing other various things strength won't matter in, so I don't think it's inconceivable that they could possibly fight back.

well from what Ive read about thease things its not just physical..but phsychlogical...like the victem still loves the abuser

"he was upset..it was just this one time"
"it was my fault..I said the wrong thing"
"he had a tough up-bringing...I know he doesnt really mean it, he cant help it somtimes"
"he loves me..I know he does..he jsut has a temper is all"
"I dont know what I would do if he left me..I dont want to be alone, he says he loves me, he said he was sorry"

that kind of thing

Vault101:

Mortai Gravesend:
[

well from what Ive read about thease things its not just physical..but phsychlogical...like the victem still loves the abuser

"he was upset..it was just this one time"
"it was my fault..I said the wrong thing"
"he had a tough up-bringing...I know he doesnt really mean it, he cant help it somtimes"
"he loves me..I know he does..he jsut has a temper is all"
"I dont know what I would do if he left me..I dont want to be alone, he says he loves me, he said he was sorry"

that kind of thing

Yeah, I know. I was just contesting that him being physically stronger had anything to do with why he was a bad person. Because really, especially with that stuff in mind, she could conceivably have a chance to fight back, it's just that the psychological component makes it unlikely she would choose to.

Maybe I'm unclear on what my point is XP

As a general rule, I don't hit people.
However, if I am in a situation where it becomes necessary, gender makes no difference to me.

If she had a gun or a knife... and even then I'd try to restrain her...

Gender would be pretty much irrelevant. I wouldn't hit someone weaker then me unless they hit me first. I wouldn't hit someone stronger then because I like my face how it is.
If someone about my strength was verbally abusing me and I felt the need to shut them up then yes I would hit them regardless of gender. I obviously wouldn't try to knock them out but I would make sure they shut up.

A person's sex is irrelevant; I don't hit anyone unless it's to defend myself or someone close to me, therefore the sex does not change anything.

SaneAmongInsane:
[quote="magicaxis" post="18.358526.14161074"]

I have to ask, is there a reason why she did this?

That is a totally fair enough question lol.

no reason whatsoever, i barely ever even spoke to her

You should never hit a woman.

You might hurt your hand.

Yay, I made a good topic :D

The only reason I'd consider gender in this situation is if they were pregnant or something. Not pregnant, then you'll be treated the same as if you were a man.

I try not to factor gender into who I hit and don't hit.

The issue most people have with hitting women is that they're the supposed "weaker" gender, which statistically makes sense, physically at least.

But most women I've met are magnitudes stronger than me, so it's irrelevant.

As a general ethic rule i cannot hit somebody unless they hit hit me first. Don't get me wrong i'd love to throw the first ounch and get the person off gaurd but i just cannot pyshically and mentally get myself to throw the first punch. it's weird.

Poll didn't have my exact answer, or an other answer, so I chose I'd only hit a woman back, because that's the closest to my answer. It depends on the circumstances really, I'm more lenient to women than to men, but if I was in your situation OP, I would have done the same thing, or at least told her to stop it. I'd rather have ended it peacefully than what you did but if that was the only option left other than taking it, I would have backhanded her as hard as you would have. Also, if I hit a woman, it'll probably be open hand instead of fist, mostly because open hand's a lot less painful, unless of course she's trying to kill me, or doesn't stop after a couple open hand hits.

It's very hard to ball your fist up & throw a punch with long sharp nails digging into the palm of your hand.

Never hit a crazy chick; She will jump you & try to chew your fingers off.

I don't believe in favoritism, so, yeah.

Gender means nothing if you're enough of a threat to warrant me hitting you.

Gender equality includes fighting.

I don't hit people unless provoked to do so either way.

I will deal with an person of any gender that threatens me by force with force.

magicaxis:

SaneAmongInsane:
[quote="magicaxis" post="18.358526.14161074"]

I have to ask, is there a reason why she did this?

That is a totally fair enough question lol.

no reason whatsoever, i barely ever even spoke to her

I only ask because my gut reaction is that maybe she had feelings for you and for some odd reason decided that slapping you every day was a way to get your attention... and that your response was to slap her in the face XD

I would hit a woman if the situation called for it. Like, if she suddenly decided that sending my troops of doom on a suicide mission to the capital city thinking that it would cheer me up.

......It did for a moment until I realized that my favorite general was in that platoon.

Getting back on topic: I would hit a woman if I saw her as a threat, like I would any other man. Gender makes no difference to me when I know that women of capable of murder and such just like any other man.

Whoops, I selected the "pimpslap" option in the poll before I saw that there was an "I'm a woman" option. My bad.

Anyway, I think it's a bit weird that you let that go on for over a week without doing anything about it, even just talking to her. In your position I don't think that I would've slapped her back before exhausting other options, but I can't argue that your solution didn't get results.

I have to say, the "Is it okay to hit a girl in this situation?" question that I see people asking fairly frequently in this forum seems strange to me. Are guys really brought up to believe that they shouldn't hurt (or is it just hit?) a woman under any circumstances?
As long as she begins the physical assault on you and you're using an appropriate amount of force I don't see a problem. We may not be as physically aggressive as men apparently are, but we're sure as hell not delicate flowers.

As for the question in the OP: I believe that what you did was fine. My only concern would be for the possible social ramifications that might result if you were seen by someone with no understanding of the situation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked