National identity and the escapist

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The escapist, while based in North America, has members from all over the world.

One of the things I like about this site is this 'melting pot' of nationalities that we have. Obviously that's not something that is unique to the escapist, the internet is the ideal conduit for international interaction.

I love that we poke fun at each other, I love that some escapists personify their country and I love how many different perspectives their are on a myriad of topics by just being raised in different parts of the world, and I've learned interesting things because of it.

I love that we all share a common interest.

We may be oceans apart, but we're part of the great nation of escapia.

*sips tea*

Quite.

Share your thoughts.

*shotguns beer* 'MERICA, FUCK YEAH!

*cough*

I just love that our common interest gives us a reason to speak to people across the world. It's one thing to be pretty sure that folks across the pond are the same kind of human as I am, and it's another to meet someone who became one of my most trusted friends.

Jedoro:

*cough*

I just love that our common interest gives us a reason to speak to people across the world. It's one thing to be pretty sure that folks across the pond are the same kind of human as I am, and it's another to meet someone who became one of my most trusted friends.

I think with how big the internet is becoming, it's going to be harder and harder to get people to go to war.

I mean, before the information age, it was very easy to dehumanise other countries, but now we talk to each other all the time.

That may be naivete on my part, but a man can dream.

My country is great as I can use a few different names

British
Irish
Northern Irish

I always say I'm Irish while on holidays, people generally like the Irish more than they do the english.

Matthew94:
My country is great as I can use a few different names

British
Irish
Northern Irish

I always say I'm Irish while on holidays, people generally like the Irish more than they do the english.

You should learn to embrace the hate.

It's what made us strong :D

Woo! Freedom! Irn Bru! Kill the English! (No offence Daystar =P)

Anyway, I much prefer talking to people here, people who I share a common interest with and have knowledge with that interest as well, than try and drum up a conversation with "Bill" down the road who I share no sort of interest with at all.

remember when jim sterling came along and some people were liek "we already have one british guy with a show"....

...yeah hopefully not everyone is that retarded

Andy Shandy:
Woo! Freedom! Irn Bru! Kill the English! (No offence Daystar =P)

Anyway, I much prefer talking to people here, people who I share a common interest with and have knowledge with that interest as well, than try and drum up a conversation with "Bill" down the road who I share no sort of interest with at all.

It would probably be an insult if you actually managed to pull it off at least once :D

Australia. We don't have to shout that we're the best because we just know it to be true.

Mostly, anyway.

ResonanceSD:
Australia. We don't have to shout that we're the best because we just know it to be true.

Mostly, anyway.

You're a troublemaker and you'll always be a troublemaker.

Daystar Clarion:
torublemaker.

Tell me about these... "torublemakers"...

You're slipping Daystar, keep it together man!

Matthew94:

Daystar Clarion:
torublemaker.

Tell me about these... "torublemakers"...

You're slipping Daystar, keep it together man!

I don't know what you're talking about, it's spelled correctly.

>_>

<_<

>_>

Daystar Clarion:

ResonanceSD:

Mostly, anyway.

SATW! Right on the money, as usual.

ResonanceSD:

Daystar Clarion:

ResonanceSD:

Mostly, anyway.

SATW! Right on the money, as usual.

So you don't deny your miscreant way?

I'm watching you, Australia. Stay out of trouble.

Daystar Clarion:

Dude? We have sheep that are more intimidating than you are.

ResonanceSD:

Daystar Clarion:

Don't bring New Zealand into this!

Well, as an American, I am legally required to post this video (it's in the Constitution somewhere, my hands are tied)

It is always interesting to see where each person is from. I like to click on links of people (to determine if I need to say he/she/whatev when replying to them) and I like the little flag showing where there from.

For example: @miracleofsound

is Irish. Mind = Blown for me (no clue why, it just happened...for some reason I just assumed the guy was an American)

I'm a USican. I shall post no videos or photos, I shall resist. RESSSSSSSIST.

Noo, why.....[sob]

I really do enjoy the diversity of the Escapist.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos, and a subsidiary of General Motors.

I don't think I personify Australia all that much, but I do personify mid thirties married men with children. From now on I'll try to use the phrase "No Wuckers" much more often on the Escapist.

Daystar Clarion:

Jedoro:

*cough*

I think with how big the internet is becoming, it's going to be harder and harder to get people to go to war.

I mean, before the information age, it was very easy to dehumanise other countries, but now we talk to each other all the time.

That may be naivete on my part, but a man can dream.

Just because we gamers talk to each other, doesn't mean the general public does. I feel it'll be a while before the majority of citizens regularly communicate with citizens of other countries to the point that wars are impossible. We're off to a start, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

I was born in Australia but I come from a Greek background, so here's a picture of a man sticking his dick in a minotaur's face while brushing his hair. That about sums it up.

I live in Australia, but my direct family is English, so I identify myself with being English rather than Australian. My heritage is traced back to the Anglo-Saxons, something of which I'm very proud of. In fact, I plan to have it in my will to be cremated and my ashes scattered at the site of the Battle of Hastings in respect to my ancestors.

Some people might find that silly, but eh.

manic_depressive13:
I was born in Australia but I come from a Greek background, so here's a picture of a man sticking his dick in a minotaur's face while brushing his hair. That about sums it up.

For the love of all that is holy spoiler that image.
Sadly my home town does not have bestiality preserved in statue form we do have a nice skyline though

I kid I kid. Although seriously it is a pretty awesome city. Please don't kill me.

Daystar Clarion:

ResonanceSD:

Daystar Clarion:

You rang?

Damn the other kiwi ninja'd me.

Luftwaffles:

Daystar Clarion:

ResonanceSD:

You rang?

Damn the other kiwi ninja'd me.

I am answering the call as a fellow NZer! Oh goddamn it third...

I live in America where we have like 15 Subways on every street corner. Fuck yeah, I love sammiches.

Also: I live in Atlanta where I am less than two hours away from two of the world's largest aquariums (allegedly), so that's neat.

Being an American browsing this site, it's kinda saddening to see all the American hating here, but I'll turn the other cheek. You see, I'm not like most Americans, though i do have American tendencies.

- I like to shoot and collect firearms, but I'm also a safety and responsibility nazi.

-I'm a NASCAR fan, but i love all auto racing. Fave F1 driver is Alonso. Least is Vettel. Fave NASCAR driver is Stewart.

-Beer is one of my favorite thing, but a lot of countries like beer too. German Pilsner is my fave

And, I have not very American-ish tendencies.

- I'm bi.

- I'm fairly health and athletic.

- Good student.

- Neutral politically, though I follow the Libertarian doctrine the most.

- I believe our military ought to be used differently. I'm a bit of an isolationist. We don't need to stick our nose were it doesn't belong.

- I am also an atheist, but not obnoxious about it.

Love from the U.S., and I am happy to be a part of the community.

Half Greek, Half Northern Irish, currently living in the hellhole that is Greece. We have.. nice statues... and scenery.. and a good deal of corruption, too!

A good bit of neo-nazis that are gaining ground because the majority of people here are retards and will find any reason to hate the immigrants, no matter how insane the reason.

Also, policemen that dress as hooligans so that their buddies get a justified reason to beat up people during protests.

So yeah, things are pretty jolly.

I don't want to be overbearing or anything, but the only media that can re-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI
EDIT: Damn. Beat to it.

But being honest, I'm Swiss at heart. Both me and my father have dual-cit status :D
Contrasting both countries quality-of-life wise can often be too depressing to bear. I can only be one at once, considering reminding myself of my Swiss citizenship whilst residing here makes me want to procedurally disembowel the nearest small animal whereas staying in Switzerland, my Americanism feels like a literal STD. I stay inside the majority of time to avoid infecting the poor innocents.

Australia! I am complete opposite to the stereotype though.
Favorite sport: Skiing
Favorite snack: Noodles
Favorite animal: Turtles/snails/Koalas
Favorite car: Out of the almost within a mortals price range probably a Dodge: Viper. Out of ones I will ever be able to get, probably a Toyota.

I too love the international interaction of the internet. As an Australian it provides me a good oppurtunity to warn people from other countries about the threat of Drop Bears, should they ever visit Australia.

In case you didn't know (though I find that hard to believe), Drop Bears are a species native to Australia that live in high brances of trees. They received their name due to their tendency to drop down from tree branches onto people loitering below, and hooking their claws into the skin at the back of their neck.

A picture of a typical Drop Bear, presumably taken before it murdered the camera man:

Canada! Neck-deep in everything American, we manage to avoid most of the bad stuff! And, here in Toronto at least, we're also neck-deep in a swathe of different cultures. And our history isn't that bad either - the last time the U.S. tried to invade (back when we were British), we burned down the White House (hope we've made up for that), and while we were pretty bad to the Native peoples, we were much better than the U.S.

Yeah, a lot of our national identity is measured in its relation to the U.S. There's also the British bit, but the British part of my identity I largely get from my mum's family (Scottish).

Also, that Scandanavia and the World comic thing looks fun, I'll check it out.

Yea, it's cool, though most of the time you don't know where the person is from unless you've seen that particular escapist before and they have sad their nationality.
I myself am from the land of leprechauns, beer and red heads. There seem to be a few of us on here alright. And stay away from the tea Daystar, that stuff is ours :P

i fight Drop Bears and listen to Australian Music and comedy

Pinkie-Pie-Party:
Yea, it's cool, though most of the time you don't know where the person is from unless you've seen that particular escapist before and they have sad their nationality.
I myself am from the land of leprechauns, beer and red heads. There seem to be a few of us on here alright. And stay away from the tea Daystar, that stuff is ours :P

Pfft, all the tea is mine.

Every time you drink a cuppa, I get paid.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked