Does anyone use their television anymore?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Excluding the use of game consoles with TVs, hardly.

Most of what's on TV is either a repeat of something I've already seen or something new I can't relate to in any way. The only thing a regularly watch is the news believe it or not.

Wolverine18:
People who watch movies on little monitors really are missing something.

>implying my monitor is small

>insert meta-dick-joke here

I use my tv all the time.

I haven't had cable tv in about 5 years.

There are a few things that my wife and I watch on Hulu or CBS.com, but actual tv, no.

My daughter (4 year old) was really confused when she visited her grandparents and she couldn't watch whatever show she wanted and couldn't pause it when she wanted.

There is literally a cm of dust on my TV, because my Internet provider decided it would be a good idea to charge extra for my cabel, so I haven't touched it for months now, now if to think about it I should throw it out along with my dvd player and VCR.

I use it to watch TV programs and play games.

i use a CRT still for my xbox360 gaming cos i am too damn poor

I don't use a TV for television, but I do use it for gaming and netflix. She definitely gets a lot of use.

Nope I moved my TV up to my attic a long time ago since it was just taking up space.

No, just downgraded to the cheapest Virgin package I could get as never, ever watch it save for Motd of the day and the very few footy matches on standard tv.

I'm assuming you mean watching television through a television =p Nah, I entirely agree, I used to watch telly all the time as a kid, now it seems so unproductive, especially when I consider that I used to sit and watch things that I didn't really wanna watch 'cos nothing was on.

I watch maybe an hour a week? Usually I watch what I want to "on demand" instead. Probably about 4 shows I watch nowadays (Not including Netflix, which is bloody awesome!)

I haven't watched television in over a year, I do however use my TV frequently, I mean it's not like I can play "a link to the past" on my computer monitor.

(Well techni... No, just no)

television what wizardry do you speak off.

i dont own one of these.

canadamus_prime:
Not for watching television programming, no. However my TV is my PC's monitor so yeah I still use it all the time, plus I when I occasionally play on my consoles. There is nothing I consider worth watching on television anymore, certainly nothing that is worth putting up with all the f*cking commercials.

Yeah, none of the commercials I have seen are fun to watch so I just end up muting them until they are over. Hell, even on the pc I have to put up with the same commercials for months, which reminds me; I am really starting to like the idea The Escapist is using with its videos where the ads are on the border of the video, well at least sometimes, hope it picks up.

JOE COOL:

Wolverine18:

http://smarteregg.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/huge-monitor.jpg

They come in all sizes nowadays, I will admit I still keep that old little box at my other house as well.

Except a full wall monitor makes a lousy monitor for anything except TV/movis and video game. If you actually use your computer to work, it sucks.

Plus you often want your TV viewing in an entirely different room than your computer (home office vs family room for example)

JOE COOL:

canadamus_prime:
Not for watching television programming, no. However my TV is my PC's monitor so yeah I still use it all the time, plus I when I occasionally play on my consoles. There is nothing I consider worth watching on television anymore, certainly nothing that is worth putting up with all the f*cking commercials.

Yeah, none of the commercials I have seen are fun to watch so I just end up muting them until they are over. Hell, even on the pc I have to put up with the same commercials for months, which reminds me; I am really starting to like the idea The Escapist is using with its videos where the ads are on the border of the video, well at least sometimes, hope it picks up.

Are you kidding me? I HATE that! It's f*ing distracting. It pisses me off every time the Escapist does that. Esp. since most of the time they're just promoting their own crap. "Yes I know it's the final round of March Mayhem! Now can you get this shit out of my face so I can watch Zero Punctuation thank you very much?!"

Wolverine18:

JOE COOL:

Wolverine18:

http://smarteregg.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/huge-monitor.jpg

They come in all sizes nowadays, I will admit I still keep that old little box at my other house as well.

Except a full wall monitor makes a lousy monitor for anything except TV/movis and video game. If you actually use your computer to work, it sucks.

Tell me about it. I'm using my 42" TV as my computer monitor and trying to work with Photoshop on it or Flash is a pain. I'd actually like to get a smaller monitor so I can work on other projects.

Aside from using my consoles? Not very much. The tv in my room is solely dedicated to my Xbox and PS3. When I want to watch a movie I go downstairs, with the big ass 3D tv.

As for actually watching tv, no, I haven't done that ever since Scrubs ended.

Not too often. Gaming is an obvious use, but I tape some random shows that are hard to find online. Sports are also hard to find online, so I pretty much have to get my college basketball fix from actual TV. Beyond that, I like to watch Community as soon as possible instead of waiting for Hulu or to watch random reruns while eating dinner.

Haven't watched T.V. in over 3 years. Haven't played my Wii in about a year, but I'll be getting Xenoblade Chronicles on the 6th so that will be changing soon. Other than that, no, there's nothing worth watching on T.V. and I prefer to game on my PC.

The TV in my room gets used pretty often for background noise, but it's rarely actually the focus of what I'm doing unless I'm watching a movie or playing a console game. It's actually kind of a shame; I've got a full 5.1 system, which I actually took the time to calibrate with an SPL meter[1], but I haven't turned on the TV its connected to in days, and haven't done any serious viewing in weeks. I've listened to some music on it, but that's about it.

The TV in the livingroom gets used all the time, but moreso by my family than by me. Part of it is because the TV in the livingroom has a digital cable box connected, so it gets something like 500 channels, while the one in my bedroom gets 70 or so on analog cable. Even with the 500 channels, though, there's not much to watch[2]; I get more use out of my modded wii that has access to all sorts of online content portals than anything else. Homebrew is nice.

[1] Most people do not do this, and it shows. I have better sound now than most of the local theaters, and I don't have an especially fancy setup.
[2] Wasn't that a joke on The Jetsons, with the exact words "500 channels and still nothing to watch?"

I only use my TV when it's required to use my home consoles, don't even have cable.

Yes, I use all of my TVs - one for watching TV/movies and recorded shows and the other is my PC monitor.

^ this is what I use my TV for. Best channel ever.

Commercials just butchered my interest in TV

I have cable, and I watch cable. I also game on it because my computer isn't good enough for many PC games.

I very much like cable. Lots of movies come on, and I also like watching baseball, hockey, soccer, etc.

I use my TV as a monitor for my various consoles.

I do watch TV shows, but I buy them online or on DVD. I don't like to be bound by the whim of the scheduling staff at various TV companies for getting to see the next part of the story.

I never watch TV except when I'm at someone else's place. I don't have one myself, and don't plan to get one.

him over there:
Background noise man, I need it for the ambience.

This. Honestly feels odd having it off, even if I don't actually watch it all day.

Also for my PS3, but I don't actually watch programmes any more.

I use my tv, got to have something to throw at the Jehovah's witnesses.

Adventure Time, Regular Show, the new season of Mythbusters, Psych, Pawn Stars, the very few amount of actual fucking history shows on History Channel. I use it, not everyday, but probably more than a lot of people here.

I like sitting in front of my 42" plasma screen, reclined in my leather chair. I wouldn't want to sit hunched over in my ergonomic chair the whole night.

Wolverine18:

I have the choice between a ~50' TV, 21' monitor or 19' monitor... most of the times I use the 21' because he has the perfect distance to my bed and I don't get the feeling to miss something...

On Topic... No. I don't use it anymore except if I have someone over to watch a movie.

Do you mean the broadcast or, y'know, the actual set?

The former? No. I buy all my shows on DVD. I'm a collector. I like having physical copies of shit.

The latter? What do you think I watch my DVDs on?

TheKasp:

Wolverine18:

I have the choice between a ~50' TV, 21' monitor or 19' monitor... most of the times I use the 21' because he has the perfect distance to my bed and I don't get the feeling to miss something...

On Topic... No. I don't use it anymore except if I have someone over to watch a movie.

I suppose if you spend a lot of time watching TV/movies/sports alone in bed the 21" is fine, after all, it is a 70s "big screen". I however don't tend to watch alone in bed and like the big picture with surround sound. But whatever works for you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked