What series did you like that had a dissappointing ending?
Harry Potter
14.3% (8)
14.3% (8)
The Matrix
85.7% (48)
85.7% (48)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Crapy Endings to Beloved Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

All this Mass Effect ending stuff in the last few weeks had slowly got me thinking about how it seems to be practically impossible to make a good ending for a series- whether books, video games, movies, etc.

While I wasn't enraged to the extent other people seemed to be about ME3, I have been there before with other works.

For instance, mine was Harry Potter. I spent seven books with that bastard, learning about all these super powerful things and how evil Voldy was and then they had the battle at Hogwarts and I was really looking forward to a Neo-Smith type fight between them. Then it just ended with a raspberry. Also, the epilogue was utter crap. I was so put off and angry about the utter let down after 7 damn books I literally put the book down and haven't picked it up since.

So, share what series as your most dissappointing when it came to the ending!

Edit: The Escapist mauled my poll instead of outright eating it. I apologize. The other options were Halo, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, or Other.

Mahou sensei Negima.
I just...
Sigh.

It's the most disappointing ending I've ever read.

The Matrix...although maybe the ending was not such a huge let down - after all it sort of conforms to 2/3 of the series.

And Twilight? Is the ending that crappy? Better question: can the ending even be considered crappy?

DoPo:
The Matrix...although maybe the ending was not such a huge let down - after all it sort of conforms to 2/3 of the series.

And Twilight? Is the ending that crappy? Better question: can the ending even be considered crappy?

No, whatever the ending is, it is good, because it's the end of Twilight.

I'd have to agree, twilight and the matrix were crap for more than half the series, so they can hardly be counted as 'endings'. The harry Potter books were a colossal let down all right, utter rubbish. She should have just had the guts to kill Harry off. And as OP said, the epilogue??? Why didn't she just draw a huge middle finger on the last page instead?

The Harry Potter ending was balling son. In the books that is. In the movie they fucked up the Snape thing and everything suffered as a direct result.

The Matrix? I can honestly say I have erased the ending from my mind. When I think of the last 2 movies, I have a vague recollection of some wasteland and loads of machines, and nothing else.

Battlestar Galactica.

New one not older one.

It had happy and sad bits and made me shed manly tears .... how dare it.

That wasn't the disappointing part though .... I still don't know what the flaming feth Starbuck was supposed to be after the whole finding her corpse type thing.

Did it explain it ... NO ... she just vanishes.

Jacco:
Lord of the Rings,Game of Thrones

With LOTR are you talking about the books or the movies?I enjoyed both and frankly the only thing I would say was disappointing about the movies was they left out the whole "Scouring of the Shire" bit

Also what was disappointing about Game of Thrones?Was it

Because the rest of the ending was pretty cool -

DoPo:

Elate:

I don't know. I only read the first book. It was just a series that came to mind when I was thinking of poll options. Though I hear someone falls in love with a vampire baby or something so there's that.

DoPo:

No, whatever the ending is, it is good, because it's the end of Twilight.

Haw. This made my day.

MetalDooley:

With LOTR are you talking about the books or the movies?I enjoyed both and frankly the only thing I would say was disappointing about the movies was they left out the whole "Scouring of the Shire" bit

With LOTR I found the ending to be kind of poetic. I didn't really have a problem with it. But some people did so I included it.

MetalDooley:
Also what was disappointing about Game of Thrones?Was it

Because the rest of the ending was pretty cool -

I haven't read or seen game of thrones. It just came to mind as an option. Lol

So, the we (almost) all agree that The Matrix had the shittiest ending. To keep the thread up, I'll try to theorise why the other options weren't chosen:

Harry Potter - the ending wasn't that bad. Sure it came off as a bit narmy, but all in all conformed to something that was presumed to be children's series. Good triumphs and (mostly) everybody lives ever after and all that. It works I suppose. Not as bad as the Matrix at any rate, which tackled similar symbolism (the Saviour) but managed to do stuff with it. Besides, The Matrix (the movie) was way better than a good part of the Harry Potter series, so the let down was significantly worse received.

Halo - has the series even finished yet? I don't know, I've played around an hour of the first game and that's it. But I believe it hasn't ended for the end to be disappointing.

Lord of the Rings - meh, I don't know. I watched the movies and I wasn't that impressed. I know for a fact that I've seen all the movies in cinema (trust me, that makes the movies stand out for me) and yet I can't remember the plot coherently. I recall just some parts but it's basically thanks to other people talking about them a lot (Helm's Deep, for example). I was under the impression that Tolkien fans enjoyed the thing (the books and some even the movies), so probably the ending wasn't an issue.

The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones - I'm utterly clueless about these two. My best guess is that they don't have enough followers as the others.

Twilight - the title of the thread reads "Crapy Endings to Beloved Series".

Half Life 2 EP2. More emphasis on soul crushing.

Fucking Bleach.

They ended the anime at the beginning of the final story arc!

Just to answer a few of these.

The Matrix,very dissapointing. I didn't mind the second movie all that much, but they just lost it in the third one.

Harry Potter, I'll be honest that I loved the ending. Maybe thats just me, but I think it resolved what needed to be resolved. And the whole Snape thing was perfect.

Halo, haven't played.

Lord of the Rings, Yeah, the ending is long, but it is beautiful.

Twilight, blargh.

The Hunger Games, haven't finished reading so seeing this worries me. xD

Game of Thrones, Well, the ending of the first book was awesome. And the main series has two more books to go, so can't really say. Love these books, so I'm hoping.

Other, absolutely HATE how Series of Unfortunate Events ended. Argh. I kept reading the books because of all the little mysteries, and not ONE of them got resolved at the end. Utter bullshit. Also wasn't too fond of how Animorphs ended. Also, Mostly Harmless. Just...Mostly Harmless.

No hate for Digimon Zero Two (a.k.a. Season Two)? It was "19 years later" well before Harry Potter ever did it...

Jonluw:
Mahou sensei Negima.
I just...
Sigh.

Goes to show that nobody likes epilogues..

anthony87:
Fucking Bleach.

Wait, seriously? As in, stopped making the anime? Or, cut to a filler?

Pendragon.

Ten books. The first nine were PHENOMENAL. Each book covering a different world with a unique conflict, setting up this huge epic insane story and mythos and stuff...There was so much mystery, so much struggling...

And then the last book explains EVERYTHING about how the universe works, and what the real conflict is ACTUALLY about in the first 4 chapters, straight up. All the mystery, DEAD. And the ending was...well...Kinda lame.

I STILL love the series to death (it's possibly better than harry potter, IMO), but oh my gosh...the last book kinda sucked... >_< If the last book had been better, I would be lauding this series as the greatest fiction series since lord of the freakin rings.

Oh, and harry potter was ok. The ending kinda felt convoluted and a bit formulaic at the same time...Still, it was a decent ending.

Farscape. :(

I know, I know, PK Wars was made through fan-funding and kinda rushed, but still. :(

2001: A Space Odyssey - not that the preceding movie is much better.

I never really cared for the ending of the TV show "Angel". As far as I know they did continue to explain the aftermaths and such in some comics, but I've never liked comics. It's like at the end of a good book they just put a YouTube-link that shows how it all pans out. God damnit, entire city plummets into hell and hordes of beasts and shit attack the main characters and it all ends with: "Personally, I kinda want to slay the dragon."

I would've wanted to see how it worked out for Lorne, did Illydia continue growing more human after the death of Wesley? Don't get me wrong, I love the entire last episode but I just want it to be more.

SmarterThanYou:

anthony87:
Fucking Bleach.

Wait, seriously? As in, stopped making the anime? Or, cut to a filler?

As in stopped making the anime. The final episode aired on the 27th, with no word on whether or not they're gonna make the final arc into a movie or an OVA or anything like that.

Why the hell is anyone talking about Game Of Thrones? GAME OF THRONES ISN'T OVER YET. Jesus Christ, there's still two more books and six more seasons to go before you can say whether or not the ending was bad.

Not crappy as in "bad" but the end of District 9 made me feel utterly alone which I suppose was one of the points it was to be honest a rather fantastic ending as far as quality. Whatever Call of Duty/Modern Warfare/Battlefield (they all blur tougher to me) ended with the nuke was also depressing yet fantastic in it's delivery.

The Matrix and Mass Effect 3 are the only depressing endings I actually feel to be utterly dissatisfying the end of the matrix to the point where i just clocked it out because it was just so bad it is like it never happened, likely the same will be said of Mass Effect but at leas i like the who Mass Effect trilogy I only like the first Matrix.

Eva ended pretty horribly, even by anime standards.

It's the ONLY ending that ruined an entire series for me.

The fact that some people lapped it up as "profound" or other similar thoughts sickens me.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Why the hell is anyone talking about Game Of Thrones? GAME OF THRONES ISN'T OVER YET. Jesus Christ, there's still two more books and six more seasons to go before you can say whether or not the ending was bad.

Unless you have read the books, sadly I have not but i hear it is not "and they all live happily ever after"

Jonluw:
Mahou sensei Negima.
I just...
Sigh.

oh i so get you! reading last chapter was physically painful and i can't count how many times i said WTF.

I'd imagine you're referring to the end of the Hunger Games series of books rather than the end of that one film, but that one film is all I've experienced, so I'll rag on that. I found the ending quite disappointing, they even raise the possibility of a good ending just to completely go back on it within 30 seconds, so pointless. Then again, I found everything after the game began to be quite disappointing. They took an interesting concept (admittedly ripped off from a Japanese series, but whatever) that could have led to some interesting ideas being explored such as loss of innocence and humanity but instead made some generic typical bland second half. So disappointing.

And I don't think Lord of the Rings had a disappointing ending, the whole climax at mount doom I thought was pretty cool, but the stuff afterwards drags on way too long in both the film and particularly in the book. Although in the book

I just didn't really enjoy that part that much, I'd kinda lost interest in it during the overly long post-mt.doom part. I did really enjoy the books overall though, this isn't an attack on them.

The Matrix series, to me, didn't have a disappointing ending, it had a disappointing couple of sequels so the ending was just par for the course by the time we got there.

Haven't seen the endings of your other suggestions. And can't think of a disappointing ending off the top of my head. I suppose Bioshocks ending isn't that great, but then again that twist scene was a tough act to follow. That'll do for now.

Blargh McBlargh:
Farscape. :(

I know, I know, PK Wars was made through fan-funding and kinda rushed, but still. :(

I miss D'argo :(

I'll be honest here and go with Stargate SG-1. Not so much that the ending was bad, but that they beat the Goa'uld, and then O NO WAIT THERE'S A BIGGER BAD O NOES. The last 2 seasons just felt really contrived to me.

The ending to Akira (the comic) always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It feels a bit hostile and xenophobic. Also, the surviving heroes suddenly referring to Japan as "The Great Tokyo Empire", when this was the banner of those rat bastard villains from the second half of the series, feels kinda like a betrayal.

Oh goodie, I have been looking for an excuse to mention this

XXXholic

Why is The Matrix up there? It's only one movie, not a series. Sure, they never did end that whole machine war business, but did they have to?

Smithburg:
I miss D'argo :(

Same. :( I thought it was a bullshit move.

i have to say "queens blade" it ended before they chose the next queen

and y harry potter it was awesome movie series

I might say "Back to the Future", but, I'm not sure I can really consider it quite the same, since it's more how it dragged on, rather than how it ended.

I noticed recently that an old childhood game of mine called "Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge" had kind of an irritating ending. Frogger and Lillie Frog are still stuck in that cage! How do they get out? On top of that, Tad's escape kind of rendered all previous events of the entire game totally pointless. Not to mention how Swampy's machine blowing up somehow makes the sun come up instantly, complete with chirping birds. I suppose Zapper: One Wicked Cricket made up for that. Very overlooked game. I absolutely adored the ending in that one.

Oh... Sonic Generations. For so many reasons. Namely, because both Sonic and Eggman created their own boostrap paradoxes. And how so much of it just doesn't make any sense. The paradoxes are probably even worse than '06. Then again, the story wasn't good to begin with, but, come on!

Then, there was this one film... Can't remember what it was called, though. Some nerdy gamer kid was being picked on so bad, but some girl he met in an RPG was trying to help him through it. Then, he faked a suicide to try and make a point. Well, that's all well and good, except that it's revealed that the girl was a figment of his imagination the entire time! Thus, creating one huge paradox! How could he have learned all of these things from her if she never existed? How can his brain teach him things he didn't even know? How could those bullies have picked on him drugged as their reaction to the message he got from her on his cell phone? Why would he get on the train with her if she wasn't real!? It just seemed to ruin everything the film was building up and standing for.

Good grief, I wish I could remember the name of that movie. I think it was like "Something X" or something or other...

Onyx Oblivion:
Eva ended pretty horribly, even by anime standards.

It's the ONLY ending that ruined an entire series for me.

The fact that some people lapped it up as "profound" or other similar thoughts sickens me.

Oh god it's back xD. I beg to differ, I liked it. But only because of the message. That numbed my sense of 'what the fuck?'

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked