What is your opinion of MLP:FIM and "Bronies"?
Strongly in favor
22.6% (180)
22.6% (180)
in favor
16.7% (133)
16.7% (133)
Neutral
32.4% (258)
32.4% (258)
not in favor
13.9% (111)
13.9% (111)
Strongly not in favor
13.3% (106)
13.3% (106)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Got a college project. shocked as hell that i can use this website. MLP poll. all welcome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

TopazFusion:

Just_A_Glitch:
just stop trying to shove it down my throat.

arnoldthebird:
As long as the fan's don't shove it in my face I am happy

Andy Shandy:
So long as bronies aren't shoving their show in my face, then I'm fine with it.

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:
Just don't shove it down my throat.

GeneralTwinkle:
there's more of them shoving it down your throat

This gets said a lot, but never elaborated on.

Out of interest, what constitutes shoving it in someone's face/throat? (MLP avatars perhaps? or something else.)

Not meaning to be hostile here, I'm genuinely interested.

To me, it is things like when they constantly go on about it (as in its the ONLY thing someone will talk about), when completely unrelated topics get "ponified" and daft things like "You will all be converted" like some sort of crazed cult. People discussing MLP and having MLP avatars and such, is completely fine with me, I'm just not going to be joining in with it any time soon. If somebody is getting annoyed at a small thing like an MLP avatar, they probably need to focus their attention elsewhere.

Strongly in favor of the show, and whether I'm in favor of my fellow bronies depends on where I am. On Equestria Daily or the tumblr Ponies or places where there is fan content, I'm still strongly in favor; in youtube comments I think our community could do better. Of course, everyone could do better in youtube comments. I'll get back to that towards the end because I'd rather talk about nice stuff first.
I'm amazed at how much fan content there is. Aside from fanfics, there are people making remixes, writing new songs, putting out tons of alternate universe Ask a Pony blogs, new original animation, parodies, shirts, people are getting into amateur voice over (and one time even getting pro-VO Tara Strong to help with Twilightlicious). There are fanmade video games too. I mean, look at PonyKart. It's all inspiring me to figure out how to do stuff.

The show has made me very happy. I'm generally happy about stuff anyway, but I just get a lot of joy from it. I really like the artwork in it, I'm generally fond of cute stuff anyway, but, you know it's kind of hard to describe why this particular style attracts me the way it does. Just seeing the characters makes me happy.
I like the way they're written as well, the writers and the development team did a good job making the characters rather well rounded, sympathetic, and people in the audience can relate to or identify with them. I get the sense, especially from the interaction the creative team has with the fans, that this is a project they really care about beyond just being employed for a few years before the next pitches and auditions.
I love the music too, some of my favorite parts of the series are when it starts to seem like musical theater. Someone already posted the Flim Flam Bros. song, but "Winter Wrap-up", Rarity's "Becoming Popular", Pinkie Pie's "Smile Song", well I'm not going to list all of them here, but I'm listening to them while I write this. They're pretty easy to find on youtube.
For someone who hasn't seen it, I'd recommend watching a couple eps (I can suggest some). If you like it, hey, you found something you like; don't like it, that's okay too, I don't expect everyone to like the same things I do; if you love it, I welcome you to the herd.

Now, I said I'd get back to the youtube comments thing. Since bronies are a pretty fair sized group, we've got all types in it. If you look at the comments for some fan stuff, you'll find the easily trollables getting into fights with trolls and anti-bronies. That's pretty much expected. What bothers me, and is pretty much the only thing in the fandom that makes me facepalm hard, is that there are some bronies out there who can sound almost identical to the most vicious anti-brony (down to using the same words) in the comments of videos for previous pony generations. Especially gen 3, and in gen 3 especially the 3.5 version animated shorts. I don't think any bronies should ever be in the business of attacking anyone for liking My Little Pony.

Incidentally, while we're on the topic of bronies and ponies, there are a couple psychologists who are trying to understand this whole thing too. They've got an anonymous survey at their website for bronies and one for non-bronies (I hear tell they need more non-bronies to fill out the survey) to help them figure this out. Go here http://www.bronystudy.com if you're interested in their work. I don't know if they can help you with your project, but I suppose you could ask them too.
Good luck on your paper

TopazFusion:

Just_A_Glitch:

Out of interest, what constitutes shoving it in someone's face/throat? (MLP avatars perhaps? or something else.)

Back when the brony movement was at its peak here on the Escapist, it seemed every thread, whether or not it even had anything to do with ponies, was filled with pictures or quotes or references to the show. Also, it seemed that if you disagreed with people who liked the show, you were the enemy or close-minded. Obviously this was only for a small minority of the show's fans, but I still saw plenty of pony fans getting all up in arms because somebody didn't understand the appeal of the show.

Perhaps saying it was shoved down our throats is a little much, as nobody outright forced me to watch it (nobody from this site, anyway), but it was certainly hard to escape the show's presence. Kind of like the Mass Effect 3 threads. It was just everywhere, and people who didn't like the show or were neutral to it (like myself) just kind of got annoyed seeing it everywhere.

I don't really like the show but I don't have a problem with others liking it. I watch cartoons myself so I can't judge. The only problem I have is that a lot of Bronies are really in your face about it, more so than other fanbases. That's the impression I get anyway

No problem with the show, or people liking the show, in fact, I quite like it myself. But I cannot stand people who will proudly proclaim themselves Bronies every damn chance they get. It's the same with any people who do that with any shows.

Maddenfreak:
Alright guys here's the deal, i need to write a seven to ten page paper on My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. Now it's a persuasive paper so i need to go one way or the other. My poll will consist of this. What is your view on the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and its fanbase known as "Bronies" or "Pegasisters", and if you wish to include a why that might also be helpful, for i need opinions on both sides of the argument. I'll be back to check on this in a bit, til then, have fun

And if we could please not have any flame wars? this is for a survey and i rather not sift through all of that crap. thanks again.

As with many things, I like the product but not the vocal fanbase

*raises flameshield*

Let's just say that there's idiots on both side of this fandom, and they're both riling each other up.

S'alright.

To go more in depth, I think the show itself is ok. Better than other shows yet not my favorite show. What i do seem to like is some of the stuff the 'fandom' comes up with like the artwork, the comics, and yes the fanfictions.

I put I'm in favor. I do get annoyed about how fanatical some people get over it but that happens with every fandom so who really cares?

Fappy:

Erana:

Fappy:
I think the fan base is wasted on MLP. I've seen it a few times before and I cannot for the life of me understand why people think its so funny. Because its controversial for men to like it I guess? Doesn't make much sense to me. As far as modern cartoons go I'd much prefer Adventure Time or Regular Show.

Well, I can't help but suspect that some of the interest in the brony fanbase is that it gives people social permission to be as emotional and sweet and gentile as can be. Not to say that this is most people or that people need permission to feel as they do, but don't people often associate themselves with subcultures (over just being a fan) because of the behavior within them? There really aren't many fanbases for that, and even fewer socially acceptable for men, so yeah. I would say that part of it is by virtue of the controversy.

That being said, I do enjoy the show. Its a very family-friendly show that's competent in a lot of ways, from animation to voice acting to really putting effort into illustrating the moral of the day. Of course, I just like children's media, (Fuck yeah, Kipper the Dog) and I just got lucky when this show got a fanbase and I can get more ponies through the fanbase.
(That video with Derpy and the lava lamp? ADORABLE)

That being said, the fanbase does suffer from a lot of leaky members who keep gushing about the show and earn it and the fans in general a lot more ire than it deserves. Just look at how mad people got about "All the Mass Effect threads!" or "All the zombie threads" or whatever the forum flavor of the week is.

And for the record, ponies were a thing on the Escapist long before MLP FIM was even put into production. Just look up Pony Jam or how the Pony badge was one of the first badges on the site.

Well that's the thing most people have trouble with here on the outside: we don't really know the community outside of the non-Pony related sites we visit. I really have no problem at all with bronies. I think some of the memes that have spun out of its popularity are pretty funny and most of the guys here with MLP avatars are generally alright people. I suppose I just don't understand why this kind of phenomenon hasn't happened already with some other cartoon considering I personally don't find the show all that funny.

Anything that makes people less obnoxious on the internet is okay in my book. I just give bronies a hard time because my girlfriend and sister both love the show and I like pissing them off :P

Hmmm dat is odd why no other show sprang up dis quickly? maybe it due the interenet being more common place? Maybe we will see dis more in da future?

Dat said I love da show, Rarity is da best pony! But like every other fanbase, it has da fanatic fans, but wot fanbase doesn't?

P.s. speaking in part orkish

i do find it a bit abnormal, but ive seen far more disturbing things here on the internet

I look on it like I do religion, I don't care if you like it but don't try and force it on me.

(I say from experience of having 'fans' link my lack of interest with sexual insecurity and in one extreme case a social regressive)

I voted neutral because I enjoy the show, but can not stand most bronies.

I just don't see the appeal in it and can't for the life of me understand what makes people so batshit crazy over it. I watched maybe 2 episodes or whatever and just... bleh not for me.

Marik2:
As with many things, I like the product but not the vocal fanbase

*raises flameshield*

You're going to need a stronger flameshield my friend for what you've just said.

Just kidding- maybe, but you won't hear anything from me about your post.

OT: I love the show, I despise the fanbase. Bronies are nothing special, yet they say things that they tend to not keep. For example, many say "love and tolerate" but really it's only amongst one another. Anyone who dislikes the show or has criticism, the fans go off on them. Another thing is that Bronies deny people who draw rule 34, saying that are not Bronies or even fans for that matter.

Rule 34 art on MLP is not my thing at all, but it's art nether the less so you're pretty much shunning those people who share the same passion in the show as you. But that is another subject to look into which I don't feel all that comfortable discussing. Point is, the fans make themselves ought to be good yet turn back on their word in situations without accepting opinions. Crap, they argue who's the best pony.. you should all know that the main 6 are best when they're together. Simple as that.

I am a huge fan of the show now, but it took a bit for me to warm up to it. I think it's well-written with solid characters, but the best part is probably that it's just so damn sincere: there's no guile, no sly wink, no omnipresent irony; the show doesn't mock itself or its viewers in that annoying post-modern way. It just is what it is: a nice, friendly show where the characters are trying to live happily and they have to navigate their lives like the rest of us. I don't really care about the fan-base (they seem friendly but I am still embarrassed to identify as a brony), so I can't comment there.

However, what ultimately won me over were the songs; those wonderful, upbeat, catchy little songs (I suspect the winter wrap-up episode has converted many a fan).

I like the FiM and I mostly like the community. Although I've heard that Bronies can be "in your face" about it, I haven't seen it and wouldn't support if I did see it. Being obnoxious sure doesn't do anything to spread the popularity and is against the themes of friendship, tolerance, and general good citizenship that the show espouses. Maybe an episode is needed to show how being boastful about liking something actually makes fewer people like it?

Personally, I'm seeing a lot of factors that go into this show's popularity. The art is very stylized, which hides it's low budget (nearly all the ponies use the same recolored model); the characters are portrayed as being in their early twenties rather than children (same age as many bronies) with individual personalities and goals; and the high level of engagement and support from the show's creators for their unexpected fans.

There are also a lot of things missing from FiM that drag down other shows of it's type. Few of the ponies' parents make an appearance, there's no one annoying comic relief character, there's no useless villain (ala Darkheart or Rita Repulsa) to eat up half the run-time in inane plotting/cackling, the dialogue has been stripped of the worst of modern idiom (like, whatever), and the whole "Friendship is Magic" thing has been invoked exactly twice in two seasons (as opposed to Power Rangers).

Fappy:
I think the fan base is wasted on MLP. I've seen it a few times before and I cannot for the life of me understand why people think its so funny. Because its controversial for men to like it I guess? Doesn't make much sense to me. As far as modern cartoons go I'd much prefer Adventure Time or Regular Show.

It's a semi-faithful callback to the silver age of cartoons, (around the age the demographic would have been watching cartoons) and this is primarily because Lauren Faust is/was executive producer. Now she's just a consultation producer.

That's why season 2 is shitty.

Ahri:
I'm a fan of MLP: Friendship is Magic, but I hate the term 'pegasister', so I refer to myself as a 'brony'.

Personally, I love the fanbase - in my experience, and for the most part, they tend to be a very accepting and well-rounded group of individuals. There are some people who take their fanaticism too far, or who condemn those who don't share their opinions, but the same can be said of any fandom, and condemning MLP for it just isn't fair.

At the end of the day, Lauren Faust and the team were quite clever when initially putting together MLP - they wrote it in such a way that while apparently targeting kids, there were elements in there that even adults could benefit from and appreciate. It's just a well written show. c:

This. Except that I actually like the term "Pega-Sis"... I always wanted to be (or ride) a Pegasus. :p

One of the main reasons I love the show is because Lauren Faust set out to make it a sequel/reboot of the original G1 cartoon, which I grew up loving as a child.

Now, if someone could remake/reboot She-Ra: Princess of Power, my childhood TV nostalgia would be complete.

More positive results in the poll than I expected...

Anyway, I chose strongly in favor, since I've been a brony for almost a year now.

I was going through some hard times when I first found them and thanks to their friendship and support, I pulled through much better than I've ever done before.

Maddenfreak:
Alright guys here's the deal, i need to write a seven to ten page paper on My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. Now it's a persuasive paper so i need to go one way or the other. My poll will consist of this. What is your view on the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and its fanbase known as "Bronies" or "Pegasisters", and if you wish to include a why that might also be helpful, for i need opinions on both sides of the argument. I'll be back to check on this in a bit, til then, have fun

And if we could please not have any flame wars? this is for a survey and i rather not sift through all of that crap. thanks again.

Go to surverymonkey
make an actual survey which will give you results which are more tangible (and more functional for academic purposes)

And il be happy to do it.

I mean the question for this poll is too encompassing, it doesn't acknowledge the people who don't really care about the show but think that the fan base is obnoxious/annoying. Its too broad.

Hopefully you read this and go make an actual survey because it will help you :)

I love the show but i cant say why. I guess it one of the higest quality cartoons made atm but other than that i dont know why i keep watching it. I believe their is some kind of mental programming going on myself.

I don't really care what other people watch on the telly it's not my business. I don't like it being shoved in my face, but I hate everyone who feels the need to shove things in my face.
I have never watched the show because it doesn't seem interesting to me.

Out of interest OP how did this assignment come about?

I am a brony therefore I am strongly in favour of it.

Which should I weight my poll response on? I really don't care about the show, but Bronies can get really annoying.

TopazFusion:

It goes beyond simply having pony avatars. Spamming threads with images, pony references everywhere, harassing people who don't like the show, etc.

I mean, personally, I'm not going to "hate on" the show. It just doesn't strike me as anything of note. I don't see the intelligence, solid dialogue or solid characters everyone else seems to. It comes off as boilerplate kid's show material, and I don't mean to be mean or condescending, it's just not for me.

(And I do watch children's programming, I really don't mean this as an insult)

But the Bronies. Oh, the Bronies. Hostile accusations that I'm on a hate bandwagon, accusations that I've never seen the show, constant attempts to prove me wrong, and you can expand that to others, because I've seen it a lot. And yes, I DID try the show; I was challenged to watch the first two episodes and not be a fan; I watched the first SIX and found nothing of any real merit. Pony memes, large pony pictures, pony everything. All over the place. It's died down here, but it was a pretty big problem at one point. Accusations, hostility.

A lot of the Bronies behave like huge jerks.

Never have watched it. Just went through all the old He-Man episodes and Batman: Animated series again though haha, so it's not about the fact that it's a cartoon. Just never interested me. If I watch it and it changes my mind, then so be it. Although it does seem that people only like it for the irony... By which I mean, the fans like to SHOW OFF that they watch it for some reason. I believe that if there weren't anyone around to show off to, most "fans" wouldn't have even given the show a thought. And come on, it can't be better than Spongebob :P

I like it.

I also like the stupid parodies.

I don't really care either way. Of course though they can certainly be annoying if they get excessive about it, but that's something shared by all rabid fanbases and not just the one belonging to My Little Pony.

I don't share any particular interest in MLP with those who call themselves (or are called) Bronies, but I can see where they are coming from as I used to be a huge Sailor Moon fan when it first came to North America. I know what it's like to be a (nigh obsessed) straight male fan of what is deemed a female oriented piece of media. Maybe that's why they don't really bother me as much as they do some others.

I was indifferent to the show.

Then bronies showed up.

Now I hate the shoe.

Although I act rather indifferent (and haven't seen a single episode of season two), I'm in favor (not strongly) as I find it a harmless form of entertainment. It can be interpreted as a regret of loss of innocence/the time of childhood with a kind, colorful world that some may miss. Other times, the show is also about friendship (-Insert /sarcasm remark here-) and that message can touch some people who may be loners, as the internet does have its share of. The show also has some good jokes, as well as references and small points towards older audiences.

The fans are rather indeterminate, as all fans have highs and lows, with the extremes always standing out more; I mostly just deal with them and get on with whatever game/forum I'm on.

Maddenfreak:

I like to consider myself a brony, but I'm really just a casual fan of the show and characters. I think it's really well done and one of the best cartoons on the air right now. I think some of the fans are absolutely creepy, but you get that in ANY fandom. It also doesn't take a genius to see why people hate a lot of bronies. They get too into it and start actively pushing it on other people. Neither side tends to realize that if someone is determined to NOT like something, they'll not like it, no matter how good it actually is. MLP is good, but it's not good enough (especially the first couple episodes, which everyone starts with) to take a hater and turn them around.

I like the brony culture, in a way. It sort of reminds me of furries. Some pretty cool stuff comes out of a fandom when people love it and get together to celebrate that. Plus, using the word "everypony" out of context in casual conversation with brony haters has some hilarious results.

SPIKE IS BEST PONY.

TopazFusion:

Just_A_Glitch:

arnoldthebird:
As long as the fan's don't shove it in my face I am happy

Andy Shandy:
So long as bronies aren't shoving their show in my face, then I'm fine with it.

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:
Just don't shove it down my throat.

GeneralTwinkle:
there's more of them shoving it down your throat

There was a time where you couldn't look at any forum without a dozen or so of random people starting hundreds of threads "OMG WRITE HERE IF YOU ARE A BRONY OMFG CUTEEEE".

And if you don't like the show, you are gay or boring.

I'm neutral of the show, I didn't watch it so I have no real opinion, other than it's of the author of Powerpuff Girls and I loved that show, still do. But I get the weird feeling a lot of people like it because it's the popular thing.

...But why people are defining themselves by something as brief as one cartoon? I get Star Trek or Star Wars or Doctor Who, all those franchises span.. well, more than I live, while MLP is what, a year or two old? Not even sure. I wasn't calling myself "Potterhead" because I really liked Harry Potter, or "Pratchettist" because I read a lot of Pratchett. Some people really turn this thing into a religion.

Love it.
A lot.
I believe that in this generation of cynisism and constant negative outlooks on life given to us by the media, that shows us hate and war and fighting and disgusting acts from around the globe, something like this really brightens up an otherwise depressing day.
Also, I don't see why anyone would not be in favor of a fandom! If you don't like the show, but others do, why would anyone want to stop others enjoying something? This applies to everything, even more controversial stuff like furries. Even though I'm not a furry I don't try and stop them from enjoying something they like!

I have pretty much the same opinion on it as I do with everything else I am not into, "do whatever the fuck you like ... just leave me the fuck alone with it!".

For example, "why hello Mr. Jehovah's witness. No, I do not give a fuck about your religion so go enjoy your religion elsewhere".

As long you keep your stuff out of my face, I don't care what you do.

The problem with this fad is I am a clown and every "brony" has a custard pie shaped like MLP! The amount of "brony" avatars on this site alone annoys me, the constant sight of ponies bouncing round is like the black kid from "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" just before he goes into a sugar coma! (which is why I zoomed in so far I couldn't see them, thank you CTRL & +)

I also find myself irritated just typing "MLP" and "Brony" ...

Orks da best:

Hmmm dat is odd why no other show sprang up dis quickly? maybe it due the interenet being more common place? Maybe we will see dis more in da future?

Dat said I love da show, Rarity is da best pony! But like every other fanbase, it has da fanatic fans, but wot fanbase doesn't?

P.s. speaking in part orkish

Orkish isn't just swapping "that" for "dat" and "what" for "wot"... you gotta try harder.

Liek diz ye git. Youz gotta speek liek an urk if ye wanna be an urk. WAAAGH!

I admit to being a fan of the show and the 'culture' that's sprung up, though I don't go out of my way to 'convert' others or even make regular MLP references in places where it's not quite appropriate. Like all fanbases, there are sensible people and lunatics, just have to not let the crazies get to you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked