What is your opinion of MLP:FIM and "Bronies"?
Strongly in favor
22.6% (180)
22.6% (180)
in favor
16.7% (133)
16.7% (133)
Neutral
32.4% (258)
32.4% (258)
not in favor
14.1% (112)
14.1% (112)
Strongly not in favor
13.3% (106)
13.3% (106)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Got a college project. shocked as hell that i can use this website. MLP poll. all welcome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I love the show and fandom, and it really doesn't bother me if people dislike it, or even hate it.

what does bother me is I see so many people claim that bronies get upset when you say you don't like the show, where on earth do you all get this notion?

In all my time of being a fan and being engrossed in the fandom, I rarely ever come across that idiot who complains when someone dislikes the show, the majority of bronies that I'v ever encountered don't even care about people disliking it.

Let's see if I can shed some "Twilight" on the subject...

I'll flat-out admit it. I have really come to enjoy this show. It's extremely original, it breaks stereotypes and the visuals are simply a joy to look at! I think what has made this show stand out amongst everything else like this is how much it has proven people so dead wrong as to how to make something enjoyable to watch. It's written so well, the stories are great, it's all so high-caliber, and yet... it's so innocent. Think about it. How many times do you see something high-caliber like this in which the developers of the series (or film or whatever you're watching) fall for the lie that for any character to be appealing, they must be some slight variation of the "Angsty McBaddude" type? This series has shown that the most enjoyable characters come in many different colors, with varying personalities, traits, flaws and opinions. And they don't have to treat everyone around them like crap to seem cool.

However, there is a slight problem. Actually, it's a huge problem. The biggest problem with the show isn't even the show, itself. It's the fanbase. Or, rather... a very large portion of the fanbase. Many of them call themselves "bronies", but I can tell the difference. The ones you have to watch out for are the ones I like to call "phonies".

Think about Portal for a second. It's about the only game that ever got a truly positive review on Zero Punctuation. And it's well-deserved. It's such a creatively-designed game that was pretty much a "stocking stuffer" of a game that wasn't meant to gain much attention, yet, it's essentially become the highlight of The Orange Box. Heck, Valve, altogether! And yet... It's nothing like anything else developers are currently making. It's so clever, creative, intelligent, innocent... You see where I'm going with this?

So, you'd think a game like this would have a fanbase to match, right? Well, not entirely. On one hand, you've got the intelligent players who enjoy Portal for what it is, and congratulate Valve on such a design. On the other hand, you've got the inane gamers who just like to use it to make cake "jokes". And I put "jokes" in quotes, because quoting the same line over and over again is not a joke. In fact, it's not even funny. That's why it was omitted from Portal 2, remember?

It's the same way with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Except that it's on a staggeringly-larger scale. On one hoof, you've got the bronies. These are the ones who have seen the show and enjoy it for how innocent, original and creative it is. Not only that, but they go out and express these feelings, often times in the form of fanfiction (or "FiMfiction), comics or digital drawings. On the other hoof, you've got the "phonies". These are the ones you've got to watch out for. They're very much like the bronies, except for at least one major difference. They see the show, but they don't care about the originality, the creativity and certainly not the innocence. I think you know where I'm going with this. These are the people who see it and say it's great, when they themselves do not even understand what made it so great in the first place. These are the ones who have completely missed the point entirely. As such, they crank out scarring garbage involving lots of sexual content, drawn-out stereotypes and overall every bit of crap that the show stands against. They may do this with "shipping", "Dat Plot" or ...ughhh... "Cupcakes"...

For me, it isn't how childlike the show might appear at first glance that makes me reluctant to tell anyone that I actually find enjoyment in the series. It's the dark side of the "fan" base that likes to corrupt using every old trick that 10,000 other people have already done.

For me, as you may have guessed, I am amongst the group that enjoys the show for it's innocence and many other positive aspects. I even have my own webcomic based on the show known as "Serendipity". It has inspired many things into a lot of people. Some of them good, some of them bad. It all depends on the person in question. It has inspired and influenced me and my own works in numerous ways I never thought possible or would even consider. Yet, here I am. In closing, I shall leave you with a quote from a very respected person, whom I have no doubt would have become a fan of the show himself, if he were alive, today.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
- C.S. Lewis

If people want to watch the show, whatever. If they go around posting links to every damn response picture on every thread even when it's completely irrelevant it gets annoying.
Not sure on what to vote.

Neutral, and the second post(or the first one that wasnt the creators?) made a good point too.
So im just adding that i like both male and female although i prefer the female body type, the racist i am!

After watching some of the show on youtube I can see why others would enjoy watching it. My inner child won't have any of it though.
What I don't understand is why people rave about how innovative and creative it is, I can't see anything that sets it apart from other kids tv shows.

Lugbzurg:
snippage

I. Totally. Agree.

I actually used Portal as an example when trying to describing the show to my mom. It's so innocent and simple, yet its made intelligently and with care, and that makes a real gem.

I also think its mainly the "phonies" who go around shoving it in peoples faces and spout memes everywhere. Theyre the ones who like the show either ironicly or just because its popular. I find it really hard to tolerate the ones who feel the need to sexualize the show. It just goes to show that they don't get what makes the show so great. It's the reason I refuse to go near "cupcakes". I'd rather have my view of the show untainted. Thankfully, as far as I can tell, the show hasn't quite gone mainstream yet, or we would be seeing a lot more of those types of fans, and not just on the internet. I know a lot of people who would just jump on the bandwagon just because its popular if it went mainstream.

Oh, and you used my favorite quote by C.S. Lewis, (i think that's a favorite for a lot of fans of the show).

Yeah I'm a fan. I started liking it about a year ago and I chat with fellow bronies quite often.

Eh, it's as annoying as Nyan Cat. Of course fans tend raise my annoyance to hate easily.

To me it's kind of like Spongebob without the (good) jokes. Optimism and the power of friendship to the extreme. I can see why some people might like it or be attracted to its ideas but it's not my thing unless it had a bit more of a darker edge (yet retained its optimism in spite of it).

I've put neutral.

Caramel Frappe:

OT: I love the show, I despise the fanbase. Bronies are nothing special, yet they say things that they tend to not keep. For example, many say "love and tolerate" but really it's only amongst one another. Anyone who dislikes the show or has criticism, the fans go off on them. Another thing is that Bronies deny people who draw rule 34, saying that are not Bronies or even fans for that matter.

Rule 34 art on MLP is not my thing at all, but it's art nether the less so you're pretty much shunning those people who share the same passion in the show as you. But that is another subject to look into which I don't feel all that comfortable discussing. Point is, the fans make themselves ought to be good yet turn back on their word in situations without accepting opinions. Crap, they argue who's the best pony.. you should all know that the main 6 are best when they're together. Simple as that.

This right here, to an extent. I love the show and most of the fandom. Some of the creative works I've seen produced by brony artists is phenomenal, from art to writing to music to animation. That's what I find so great; the fact that people have expanded exponentially on the show the fandom's based around.

As for Rule 34, not for me, but I don't begrudge anyone for making or perusing it. It's not doing me any harm, and John Joseco, one of the best known Rule 34 artists out there, produces some amazing SFW stuff as well, and he's just one amongst many. The one thing that really annoys me about the fandom is the stick-up-their-ass moral crusaders who will do everything in their power to denounce everything with even the whiff of romance around it, let alone Rule 34. They'll complain about haters, and then be even more hostile to people within their own fandom, and expect to be applauded for it. God forbid you point out their hypocrisy.

There's one comic artist in particular, Toxic Mario, who produced a rather venomous journal on DeviantArt calling anyone who shipped a particular pair of characters from the show as 'creepy' and 'wrong'. He later removed the offending sentences after I called him out on it and had a lengthy debate with one of his more level-headed friends (who maintained that there was nothing inherently wrong with being so hostile regardless, because, hey, they're just doing canon art, right?), but I still can't enjoy his comics, thanks to the niggling thought in the back of my head that they were produced by a rather spiteful person who couldn't accept that some people like things he doesn't like.

So that's that; with the exception of a few sour notes, I'm strongly in favour of show and fandom.

EDIT:

Berithil:

Lugbzurg:
snippage

I. Totally. Agree.

I actually used Portal as an example when trying to describing the show to my mom. It's so innocent and simple, yet its made intelligently and with care, and that makes a real gem.

I also think its mainly the "phonies" who go around shoving it in peoples faces and spout memes everywhere. Theyre the ones who like the show either ironicly or just because its popular. I find it really hard to tolerate the ones who feel the need to sexualize the show. It just goes to show that they don't get what makes the show so great. It's the reason I refuse to go near "cupcakes". I'd rather have my view of the show untainted. Thankfully, as far as I can tell, the show hasn't quite gone mainstream yet, or we would be seeing a lot more of those types of fans, and not just on the internet. I know a lot of people who would just jump on the bandwagon just because its popular if it went mainstream.

Oh, and you used my favorite quote by C.S. Lewis, (i think that's a favorite for a lot of fans of the show).

Sorry, I only spotted this after hitting post. I have to say that's something I'm completely in agreement with as well, with one exception - I don't like the ones who use gratuitous amounts of violence, gore or sexuality in their fanworks. However, there is definitely a distinction to be made between, say, Cupcakes and Fallout: Equestria. Both are undoubtedly M-rated fanfics, but while one is an uberviolent, badly written trollfic, the other tells an epic tale of adventure, love and sacrifice, just in a setting far removed from the original show. Building upon it like that is great in my eyes, because it still held true to the messages of the show about friendship, it just put those lessons in a post-nuclear wasteland.

floppylobster:
To me it's kind of like Spongebob without the (good) jokes. Optimism and the power of friendship to the extreme. I can see why some people might like it or be attracted to its ideas but it's not my thing unless it had a bit more a dark edge.

I've put neutral.

One of the reasons I like the show so much is for differences between it and spongebob, as in, it doesnt rely on crude inuendos or the characters acting stupid to drive the humour. Of course, thats just my personal preference. Dont get me wrong, as far as cartoons go, spongebob is towards the top, and while stupid characters can be amusing for a little while, it gets old when thats what the show relies on mainly for its humour.

Of course, if you like more a dark edge to your entertainment, then I totally get why you wouldnt like the show. It is VERY optimistic and lighthearted, another reason why I like it but I can see why others dont. Its all personal preference.

edit

I don't know much about it but the memes annoy me greatly.

*looks at avatar* guess where I'm at :D
but yeah, i like the show, its one of the few to only shows where i can't say there's a character i don't like or gets on my nerves, some eps kinda suck, but meh, cant be 100% awesome week after week

wintercoat:
quote unrelated

your avatar, is awesome sir

I am a brony. I really like the show.

RaikuFA:
*reads post*
*spit take with coffee*
*checks eyes*
*goes to eye doctor, says everythings fine*
*reads post again*
*does another spit take*
*goes to psychiatrist, says I'm not schizophrenic*
*one more spit take for good measure*

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!?!

Exactly my reaction when I saw this last saturday (episode 22).

Whenever someone starts talking about training or horse power the following guy appears and yells "YEAH!"

Edit: Gir was the turkey all along!

Can you add a poll option for "Don't care at all about the existence of bronies except for BRONYVIDS ARE AWESOME"? 'Cause that's my entire stake in the whole MLP thing right there.

I just never got the whole idea of it and the fascination with the show itself. I remember watching an episode on youtube just to see what the fuss was about and it was kind of funny (with an obvious STD reference in it) but I just don't understand why people love it. I feel like people love the meme itself, not the actual show because in reality, it's a cartoon about unicorns with all of the standard plot lines of most other kids cartoons.

No offense to people who like it of course! Thats just my opinion. I like a lot of things that don't really make sense either lol.

I like the show, but it's the obsessive fans that bother me. Not all of us are like that, after all...

So, by the looks of the poll, most people are either bronies themselves or are perfectly fine with bronies existing.

Rationality? On the Internet? WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO???

TheKasp:

RaikuFA:
*reads post*
*spit take with coffee*
*checks eyes*
*reads post again*
*does another spit take*

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!?!

Whenever someone starts talking about training or horse power the following guy appears and yells "YEAH!"

OT: I find myself rather liking the show a fair bit, but I wouldnt self identify as a Bronie

Not because I have anything against the fanbase, if they stick to their guns with the love and tolerance thing I respect em all the more, but I really wont buy the merch, spread meme's and use a pony avatar.

I do on occasion post an appropriate image, like I did above.... also the 20% cooler shirts are pretty swell.

MPerce:
So, by the looks of the poll, most people are either bronies themselves or are perfectly fine with bronies existing.

Rationality? On the Internet? WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO???

Shocking, I know.

Due to the controversial topic ponies have become on the escapist, I'm quite surprised myself. I'm also surprised we've made it this far without falling into flaming.

I want congratulate the o.p for making a pony thread that has made it four pages without a flamewar.

TheKasp:

RaikuFA:
*reads post*
*spit take with coffee*
*checks eyes*
*reads post again*
*does another spit take*

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!?!

Yes he was. He was that turkey.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to wage war against... THE BEES!!!

I see clips of it, and think they're cute and funny, but don't care to watch the whole show (nor have time). The bronies often make me laugh and are some of the less irritating fans by their very nature, so I like them too.

I put "In Favor".

I like the show for the obvious reason's, great animation, amazing voice acting and the fact that it make's you feel happy.

As far as animation goes it's probably one of the best show's around, up their with adventure time and old sponge-bob, but this one actually has a point, not just one tacked on.

I don't really get it.

Show is aesthetically pleasing. Don't see how it's hilarious. I don't mean to down folks who like it, but I don't really get it. It feels almost like it's supposed to be an ironic joy, but the fanbase doesn't seem to only like it for the irony of being a grown person watching MLP. I just assume it's one of those things that's not for me and ignore it. And I'm a guy that loves cute things; I sew and I collect plush dolls. I just don't get it. Maybe I'll try it again, but I don't think it's gonna happen for me.

As for the fanbase, I'm similarly neutral. I don't see all the talent and stuff that folks are talking about. They seem to be doing the same stuff that other fandoms do. I get that you'd have pride in your fandom, but I just haven't been wowed by anything I've seen out of the MLP fanbase yet.

Overall, I'm neutral. I don't care about people liking the show, I don't care about the show itself. But there's very few television shows I feel feelings about anyway, since I rarely watch TV in the first place.

Seen a few episodes, the animation is medicore (reminds me of crappy flash cartoons from the early 2000's), the humour is mediocre and the character are mediocre.

Overall, I think the show is - wait for it - mediocre.

The fans on the other hand, can be very overbearing, with a persecution complex that could rival the furrie's.

Strongly in favor myself. Really like the show for reasons that have already been said a million times before. And the fanbase... Mostly in favor? I've never ran into another brony that was anything but pleasant, if a bit weird in some cases, and I've never personally ran into any of the "shove it in your face" bronies either. Maybe that's just because I never jumped into any flame wars about it and tend to keep my distance when I see one coming (this being the only exception), or maybe it was just dumb luck, I don't know. But I do approve of the majority of the fanbase. Majority excluding cloppers. Not as much hate, as extreme disappointment.

I may like the show, but the fanbase can be a bit... excessive. I'm pretty neutral on it, honestly. I have a couple friends who also like it, but some people are too obsessive about it.

It's not a bad show. It gets panned for being childish, but the animation and production values are actually quite good. Characters come to have meaning and weight over time, and it works. While I'm not really a brony, I did at least watch the show, and found it to be engaging. There's worse ways to spend an afternoon.

I rather like the show
and while I also like quite a part of the fanbase and how talented it is, most of the time it feels like I'm the only one with a boat in a sea of idiots

I said im strongly in favour, i (unironically) like the show and the fanbase is mostly very pleasant but god DAMN, some fans are just so obsessive about it. (seriously calm the fuck down)

I like the show (very well done characters that actually grow, genuinely charming and funny, using stock morals but expanding on them or giving them an interesting twist, dont care for the memes) and would recommend it, but not gush over it, buy any toys, use references, or put down those who don`t like it. It`s just another show i really like, along with futurama, archer (strongly recommend), community, breaking bad, old spongebob/fairly odd parents.

For those of you turned off by the show because of obsessive/intolerant fans, let me give you an honest and more sincere recommendation (see paragraph above). If your still not interested and don`t care for the show, well i can`t change your mind.

Some works deserve a lot of recognition, some deserve a little recognition... no work deserves a religion!

My opinion of Friendship is Magic is the same as Yahtzee's opinion of Portal: it's alright, but god does it have the worst fans on the internet. Cripes.

Caramel Frappe:

OT:

Sorry, I only spotted this after hitting post. I have to say that's something I'm completely in agreement with as well, with one exception - I don't like the ones who use gratuitous amounts of violence, gore or sexuality in their fanworks. However, there is definitely a distinction to be made between, say, Cupcakes and Fallout: Equestria. Both are undoubtedly M-rated fanfics, but while one is an uberviolent, badly written trollfic, the other tells an epic tale of adventure, love and sacrifice, just in a setting far removed from the original show. Building upon it like that is great in my eyes, because it still held true to the messages of the show about friendship, it just put those lessons in a post-nuclear wasteland.

I should clarify and agree on the gratuitous, pointless violence bit. I myself am reading FO: Equestria right now, and am enjoying it immensely (and heck, there's a bit of sexual stuff in there). So yes, its more of the violence and sex that's completely pointless and gratuitous that I don't like. Also the quality of writing has alot to do with it as well

Edit: I suppose I should have originally snipped that.

Melon Hunter:

Wow. People seem to really like my post. Not bad for a first comment, I guess.

Anyway, context is important, too. Cupcakes vs. Fallout: Equestria is even more vast than Apples vs. Oranges. I never had anything against violence. In fact, the show has gobs of it. It's all about the context, people. Cupcakes has no sense in existing. Whereas Fallout: Equestria has context. It fits the already existing universe to a degree. There's a reason why everything is happening the way it is. Whereas Cupcakes is just some juvenile excuse to turn the characters as out-of-character as possible.

As for context in real life, yeah, I've mentioned the show to some people, before. I don't rub it in their faces. If the conversation is somehow going in that general direction, I might mention it. But, I'm not going to just jump over to someone and start yammering about My Little Pony. It would just convey a bad image for both me and the show. However, if I see people slamming it for things that aren't even true, I may jump in. If they just don't find it interesting, I'm not holding any grudge. But, I do see a lot of misconceptions. Even in here. It's not girly, it's not childish and it's certainly not loaded with pink. In fact, the character of Pinkie Pie is about the show's only source of that color. There's a lot more green and blue, instead. I also see people saying they wonder why it's supposed to be so funny, when they never found it funny, themselves. Well, that's because it really isn't supposed to be. Humor takes a back seat in this show. It's far more about adventure, story and characterization. And it certainly isn't slapstick. I don't know where some of you people are getting this from (maybe a YouTube poop?), but there has never been a single slapstick moment in the entire show.

There are still some of the good ones out there, people. Every fanbase has its fools. Every fanbase. Don't let universal observations rule your judgment. There's people who write demoralizing garbage like Cupcakes, which completely pukes over everything the show stands for, and then there's mind-blowingly amazing works, like Turnabout Storm. Seriously, that is the greatest work of fanfiction I have yet seen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUDfoZGhLjE

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked