What is your opinion of MLP:FIM and "Bronies"?
Strongly in favor
22.6% (180)
22.6% (180)
in favor
16.7% (133)
16.7% (133)
Neutral
32.4% (258)
32.4% (258)
not in favor
14.1% (112)
14.1% (112)
Strongly not in favor
13.3% (106)
13.3% (106)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Got a college project. shocked as hell that i can use this website. MLP poll. all welcome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Lugbzurg:

As for context in real life, yeah, I've mentioned the show to some people, before. I don't rub it in their faces. If the conversation is somehow going in that general direction, I might mention it. But, I'm not going to just jump over to someone and start yammering about My Little Pony. It would just convey a bad image for both me and the show. However, if I see people slamming it for things that aren't even true, I may jump in. If they just don't find it interesting, I'm not holding any grudge. But, I do see a lot of misconceptions. Even in here. It's not girly, it's not childish and it's certainly not loaded with pink. In fact, the character of Pinkie Pie is about the show's only source of that color. There's a lot more green and blue, instead. I also see people saying they wonder why it's supposed to be so funny, when they never found it funny, themselves. Well, that's because it really isn't supposed to be. Humor takes a back seat in this show. It's far more about adventure, story and characterization. And it certainly isn't slapstick. I don't know where some of you people are getting this from (maybe a YouTube poop?), but there has never been a single slapstick moment in the entire show.

The show doesn't have slapstick humor? What do you mean there's no slapstick humor in the show? Allow me to direct your attention to this video...

And I find the show hilarious at times. Not all the time. The main goal of the show isn't comedy, but it sure has its moments.

Edit: shame on me. I never welcomed you to the escapist. Topaz's post reminded me of that. Anyway, welcome! And be sure to check out the user group. One of the largest groups on the site.

Berithil:
The show doesn't have slapstick humor? What do you mean there's no slapstick humor in the show? Allow me to direct your attention to this video...

And I find the show hilarious at times. Not all the time. The main goal of the show isn't comedy, but it sure has its moments.

Edit: shame on me. I never welcomed you to the escapist. Topaz's post reminded me of that. Anyway, welcome! And be sure to check out the user group. One of the largest groups on the site.

I suppose we have some very different ideas of what slapstick is. This really doesn't look like it to me. Especially stuff like somepony just fainting. I suppose this would be because I was introduced to it through The Three Stooges. Now, THAT is slapstick.

I've always seen slapstick as more characters beating each other up in comedic and unrealistic ways or getting outright pwned hard by inanimate objects. I just don't see anything like that in this mass of characters bumping into each other when they're excited or a light puff of snow falling on them.

Oh, how times have changed...

Lugbzurg:

Berithil:

I suppose we have some very different ideas of what slapstick is. This really doesn't look like it to me. Especially stuff like somepony just fainting. I suppose this would be because I was introduced to it through The Three Stooges. Now, THAT is slapstick.

I've always seen slapstick as more characters beating each other up in comedic and unrealistic ways or getting outright pwned hard by inanimate objects. I just don't see anything like that in this mass of characters bumping into each other when they're excited or a light puff of snow falling on them.

Maybe not all of it is true slapstick, but by your definition, twilight getting crushed by an anvil, a wagon, then a piano would be slapstick. I'd call that getting pwned by inanimate objects.

But your right. We might just have different definitions of slapstick

I don't care. I really don't care at all. Though I do wonder why people think it's so amazing.

theemporer:
I don't care. I really don't care at all. Though I do wonder why people think it's so amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNAK5X8nwts
That's why. Part of it, anyway...

I like the show. I think it's well-made, with smooth and aesthetically-pleasing animation and a diverse and engaging cast of characters.

As for the fan-base, well, it's a mixed bag. There's the ones who are ashamed of it, the ones like myself who don't make a big deal out of it, the ones who are very eager and then the bad ones, i.e. those who feel like it's their duty to convert others. Eff that, do what you like and trust other people to do the same.

Of course, it's just the same with people who don't like it. There's people who don't make a big deal, and then people who actively judge you for your interests. I repeat: eff that. Turn around and leave us to it.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about the show and the people who enjoy it. Everybody's got to find their paradise in this life. If a handful of dudes find it in a magical land filled with friendship-preaching horses, more power to 'em.

I will say, though, that it seems terribly strange to me to write a college paper about it. Others have done so before, and it never seems to reflect very well on the writer.

Neutral.

I am a person who is totally unrelated to this. I don't watch MLP. Nor do I ever plan to.

Strongly in favor of My Little Pony.

Think the term bronies is stupid and annoying, and taken far, far too seriously. I for the most part, like the fanbase, though. Just not the term.

I think of it as as a great pop culture movement. American pop culture always did need to be a bit more interested in cuteness. As a moderate movement in the right direction in terms of gender roles. I say that because it's just a tv show, and how many fans are hell bent on proving how otherwise masculine they are.

LilithSlave:
I think of it as as a great pop culture movement. American pop culture always did need to be a bit more interested in cuteness. As a moderate movement in the right direction in terms of gender roles. I say that because it's just a tv show, and how many fans are hell bent on proving how otherwise masculine they are.

Watching such a show doesn't make you any less masculine. Would the show really have been so different if the show were about humans living in a gray/brown world reminiscent of Gears of War? Certainly not. Would this game, Gears of War have been any different if you plastered clown shoes and a rainbow-colored trail onto everyone's armor as you run around neon maps? No. It would still be the same.

The big thing about people's blind disdain for the show is they just look at the colorful ponies, and label it as "girly", "childish" or "gay". Yet, somehow, it's totally acceptable to, say... play a game like Banjo-Kazooie, which was designed for children, but was just so well-designed that older figures play it to this day. And it's about a talking bear and bird out grabbing puzzle pieces to rescue the bear's sister from a pot-bellied witch. And then, on the other hand, people would argue that Call of Duty is "manly" and "realistic", despite the fact that the series is so dang easy to play, and how the games hold your hand practically the whole way through and how you're this hulking powerhouse who can kill thousands without much effort because you can heal from bullet wounds by stopping to catch you breath. If people call this "manly" and "realistic", I wonder how they'll react to something like Mega Man and Kirby, or even Doom and Contra.

It doesn't matter how the appearance is. You gotta look under the hood.

Im in favour, not strongly though, because I do have to admit 'bronies' can be really really annoying sometimes.

I'm neutral. I've never seen the show and don't plan on seeing it. I'll admit I find it a little odd that so many young male adults watch the show, but I'm not going to start hating on them because of it. My best friend watches it and he's one of them meme-spewing bronies. What an asshole. Anyway, good luck with that paper of yours.

EDIT: I went ahead and read that "Cupcakes" fanfic that some posts mentioned. Umm...well...it's an obvious trollfic, so my vote won't change.

I've never actually watched the show but I know a few Bronies and have nothing against them. It's not my cup of tea, but live and let live. As long as you aren't forcing stuff on me or anyone else, I don't care.

I have friends who like the show, it's not my cup of tea personally. I finaly caved into my friends demands and watched the 1st episode and found it to be boring and too girly so I never watched anymore nor do I plan to. But people are free to like it, just don't harass me about "Why I MUST like it" because that's not going to make you any friends. It will more likey make you lose them.

So I'm neutral, as long as people as nice.

I wouldn't have a problem with 'bronies' if they weren't such obnoxious asshats that try to shove their fetish (yes, it's a damn fetish, get over it) down everyone's throats.

Okay, can we get something out of the way first? Whenever a fanbase is acknowledged as actually being a fanbase, shit get's crazy.

For example, in the Powerpuff Girls fanbase...

You waiting for something? Of course you are, what were you expecting me to say? When have they ever been acknowledged for anything? Now, if I mentioned let's say the Sonic fanbase and Invader Zim fanbase, I bet a ton of things just popped into your head. Mostly irritating things.

However, the brony thing is a bit...different. You see, when sonicfags and the Gir lovers appeared, they mostly kept to themselves, just occasionally leaking and exposing their craziness and stupidity. The bronies were sorta...everywhere, for a short time period. Meme posts everywhere, videos, etc, etc. People constantly trying to convert others to the herd and other shit apparently. Or at least, that's what I've been told. Whenever people talk about internet things like this, I'm never actually around to see it but that's beside the point. The point is that bronies were a bit too loud. Sure, things have calmed down, but let's be honest a part of the fanbase is stupid. Just like how a part of anything is stupid, crazy, etc.

Alright simply put, acknowleged fanbase=Bad...but to be honest, the fanbase could be a lot worse. Like, so much worse than you believe it is.

So much worse.

OT: I kinda like that show. That's it. I enjoy videos on it, the pictures, etc. Then again, I feel the same way for a lot of media I like. Futurama, Adventure time, etc.

Though, I don't like how the poll is set up so I have to be in favor of the show and the bronies. Not because I think they are the scum of the Earth (which I don't, for a lot of them) but mainly because what the fuck does a portion of a fanbase have to do with my enjoyment of a show?

Gonna try to be objective here
A majority of the fan base is crap. No one will deny that. The show it self is known for good voice acting high quality animation comparable to many web animations also done in flash. The characters have some depth to their personalities. The actual stories can range from terrible to meh to pretty damn good depending on your tastes, however the stories are well told most of the time. The show's humour can be hit or miss, once again it really depends on your taste.
That's really all I can think to say. Hope that helps.

I love the show, I'm okay with most of the fanbase. They can be a little overzealous sometimes.

neutral/indifferent
in other words i give zero fucks about both the fan base and the show(that I have yet to watch and don't plan on watching it)

TestECull:
I was indifferent to the show.

Then bronies showed up.

Now I hate the shoe.

yeah i hate that "shoe" too!

so what do shoes have to do with My Little Pony?

I'm not really the target audiance, but if I were a kid again I'd probably watch this to death with my sisters, nowadays, I just watch the show for the animation and voice-acting.

what can I say, I have a weakness to cartoons.

I think the show is a steaming pile but if people like, want to watch it, use it as their avatars etc I have no problems. Basically, it is not more me and I don't care what other people do in regards to it.

Not in favour. Pony memes arent funny.

Lugbzurg:

Watching such a show doesn't make you any less masculine.

Doesn't mean people don't try and prove how masculine they are despite watching the show.

Berithil:
how is this not slapstick?

Because ponies!

Lugbzurg:

And so was the majority of what was in that video.

No they haven't, you just have a definition that, for some reason, precludes slapstick elements that were considered slapstick elements back in the time of Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, the Marx Brothers, and yes...The Three Stooges.

Blargh McBlargh:
I wouldn't have a problem with 'bronies' if they weren't such obnoxious asshats that try to shove their fetish (yes, it's a damn fetish, get over it) down everyone's throats.

How is that a fetish?

ThePS1Fan:
A majority of the fan base is crap.

Funny, since people have denied it in this thread.

flare100:
Not in favour. Pony memes arent funny.

Ponies or otherwise, memes just aren't funny, period.

I am more amused that people have so little in there lives that they form their sense of identity from a TV show.

I don't really care for bronies, I think your rather irritating. But I don't really care enough to get pissed about it.

I think MLP is pretty good, I like it in fact. However, I cannot stand Bronies, jesus christ they're annoying.

favor is spelt with a u like this: favour. Learn it Amercans!

Sorry, my inner gramma Nazi shone through there. Anyway I think that everyone is entitled to there own opinion. If that is that MLP:FIM is a good show, they can think that all they like.

I'm a fan of the show, but as with any fandom, I'm not going to jump on board any sort of hype wagon. Nor am I going to judge the people who find it fun to do just that.
Neutral.

Zachary Amaranth:
How is that a fetish?

The show has become an object of obsessed devotion and irrational obsession.

Hookah:
I am more amused that people have so little in there lives that they form their sense of identity from a TV show.

I don't really care for bronies, I think your rather irritating. But I don't really care enough to get pissed about it.

Give it time.

Soon enough the word itself will fill you with unrelenting rage.

Fappy:
I think the fan base is wasted on MLP. I've seen it a few times before and I cannot for the life of me understand why people think its so funny. Because its controversial for men to like it I guess? Doesn't make much sense to me. As far as modern cartoons go I'd much prefer Adventure Time or Regular Show.

you sir, earn the virginity of 1000 21 year old women. you have summed up my thoughts exactly.

I like Game of Thrones, and can't wait to watch it later today when I have enough time.

You don't see me with a game of thrones avatar, and going to game of thrones forums, and wearing game of thrones t-shirts out in public. Then trying to convince the world that it is a real show worthy of respect.

The show I like doesn't need people to argue that it doesn't suck, or that it isn't ONLY for little girls.

In short- Brownies are like gay people. I don't care what things you do in your own home, but stop trying to push them on me. I will never understand.

The show's on two levels, like the original Shrek (something to keep the parents/sitters amused too). It's well animated, and a bit of fun.

As for the com- screw it, lets call it a fandom; It's like any internet-savvy group, there's the odd funny thing, but it's mostly somewhere between obsessive and outright creepy.

Well I even have a few toys and art prints so...

yeah, I like my ponies.

I was hovering between "neutral" and "not in favour", but eventually I voted for the latter. I don't begrudge the actual show (watched it once, didn't see what was so special), or even its fans, truthfully -- I can't think of one fandom that doesn't have a side helping of batshit crazy somewhere. What really, really annoys me is the exposure MLP gets. It gets shoved in my face whether I'm interested in it or not. I don't mean avatars or anything like that, but seriously, I visited some meme site not so long ago, and somebody had uploaded pony variants to every entry I looked at. Every. Entry. Then there's the people who use pony-related slang in completely unrelated, irrelevant topics, like "anypony" instead of "anybody".

Basically, what frustrates me is how usually, things like this tend to stay in their own corner of the internet, where all the related forums and fanfiction and whatnot are. If you don't like it, then you don't go there. Instead, it's like MLP has grown past that corner and is encroaching on every other area of the internet as well, and you're going to constantly be reminded of it and see it everywhere regardless of whether you like it or not. I don't hate the show or its fans, just how it's everywhere.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked