I just watched my sister beat her daughter up in the front yard..

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

My suggestion is to examine context as much as possible. Keep in mind, that kind of treatment is NEVER okay. However, you can't be of much help to anyone if you don't know what the situation is. Tell your sister how uncomfortable her actions made you feel. Convince her that no matter what the crime, there are better more productive punishments. If, as has been said, apple has been a bit of a tramp. . . Consider that a beating will only serve to alienate people who she's supposed to feel safe with. A better punishment might be something like a 20 page research paper on STD's, complete with sources. Oooor a visit to a maternal ward to see someone give birth ( not a pleasant experience ). Something that actually serves the purpose of punishment, is constructive, but does not make her feel unsafe with the very people she needs the most.

Veldie:

cookyy2k:

CPS all the way, if you confront your sister it'll be a huge argument about how you don't understands or you can't tell her how to raise her kid or something. Anonymous call to CPS and they'll do all the important checks and such and act appropriately. That could be parenting classes, support for your niece or full removal in extreme cases. Either way it's what's best for your niece that should come first.

she would know its me who called em no one was outside there and i was known by window

And? If she's abusing her kid, it's a moral imperative that you tell someone. Your sister should not be a parent (or at least, should be required to get some extensive retraining first), and you're enabling abuse by not acting.

Imagine if that head-smack would have broken a bone or something. Or left some bruises. Surely you've seen one of those movies with girls that are being abused by their boyfriends/husbands, and will just say "oh...I fell..."? It's kinda like that. It's exactly like that.

However, your sentence seems to be implying something else. Is the only reason you aren't telling the authorities because you don't want your sister to know that YOU were the one that made the call? If so, the most gentle way to say this is: grow a spine, man (woman? I haven't paid attention). You're letting some possible awkwardness get in the way of stopping abuse. That's horrid.

Edit: Actually, just watch this movie that my high school watched in Health class: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Would_Tell

It's kinda like that.

Volf:
I'm sorry but your niece's name is apple?

OP. Unless you think Apples life is at risk, I'd try to stay out of it if I was you.

Yeah I was going to ask this as well

The slapping could be warranted. i can be ok with that, under certain circumstances. However, slamming her head against the door was crossing the line.

Get both of them into the same room, and confront them both of them about it. This is important: Be very stern, with both of them, but don't get angry. Don't yell, and don't escalate things. keep your voice low and calm. if either of them start yelling, just stop talking and observe. You could learn alot, but be ready to intervene if your sister takes a step in the wrong direction.
hear both sides of the story. ask many questions, but don't let the conversation heat up too much. If you think that slaps were warranted, great. whatever. However, after the main conversation, excuse Apple and tell your sister she stepped over the line. after you're done talking with your sister alone, warn her that if she crosses the line again, you will take further action.

It's what i would do, and i think its a reasonable thing to do.

On that slightly morbid note.... Cheers.

Blargh McBlargh:
Was your niece being a brat?

If so, bitchslaps are wholly deserved. Kids these days could use a good ass-whooping every now and then. :/

I like how the people going "ZOMG CALL CPS" don't seem to realize that they could potentially ruin someone's life over something trivial.

Yep and if the cops want to beat the snot out of people for minor offenses than they should be allowed to do that, dumb ass adults could use a good ass-whooping every now and then too.

Do something, I wouldnt go for CPS right off the bat, but do something. Domestic violence is never okay, and if you're seeing this behaviour in public, its likely to be going on worse at home. It doesnt matter if shes was your sister, or just some stranger, its your civic duty to at least make people aware of this. Hitting a child makes your sister a coward and a bad parent.

I know its hard to actually stand up about this kind of thing, but just remember, youre in the right here. You have the moral high ground, and you should exercise it. After all, you don't want to be an enabler like this guy.

Blargh McBlargh:
Was your niece being a brat?

If so, bitchslaps are wholly deserved. Kids these days could use a good ass-whooping every now and then. :/

I like how the people going "ZOMG CALL CPS" don't seem to realize that they could potentially ruin someone's life over something trivial.

Do you want to be Blarg McBlarg? Didnt think so. So remember, do something.

Mr Pantomime:

Uh...I think you may have forgotten a crucial word or two there.(NOTE: I am not Blarg McBlarg, the guy you quoted. Just noticed that bit of nonsense and thought I'd intervene. Speaking of which...)

OP: At the very least, confront your sister about it. I wouldn't call the cops just yet, but don't just forget about it, either. Find out exactly what happened first, and go from there. The fact that you even need to ask this is actually kind of mind-boggling to me, especially since you're apparently old enough for your sibling to have a 14-year old daughter. That means you're almost definitely an adult, so my advice: Act like a damn adult.

Seriously though, get off your computer RIGHT NOW and GO TALK TO HER.

Volf:

OP. Unless you think Apples life is at risk, I'd try to stay out of it if I was you.

It's not that bad I knew someone named Moon-beam. Hell my dad wanted to name my brother after a pirate it sounds bad ass until you find out his name was Mary.

soren7550:
CALL THE FREAKIN' POLICE!

HOW ABOUT NO?!

Jesus. It's one thing to call the police on the neighbor you don't know who's beating their kid on multiple occasions.

Calling the police because your sibling took the punishment too far? That's pathetic. You really wanna be the cause of your sister's kid getting put into foster care because you saw a argument that got out of hand that most likely is a rare occurrence? That's the kind of over-reaction that ruins every single person involved in that situations lives.

Be a responsible adult and member of the family. Tell your sister to cut the shit and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I've nearly been a victim of this type of over reaction that you're suggesting, and I'll tell you that little Apple over here doesn't want to lose her mommy because she ignored her warnings about hanging out with that good ole pothead Lucy.

Radeonx:

Johnny Impact:
There isn't going to be any victory for you here. If you stay out, you'll feel guilty for doing nothing. If you try to talk to your sister, you'll get a shitstorm of "don't tell me how to raise my kid." If you call CPS, you'll feel like a coward for dumping the problem on someone else. If you broach the subject with your niece, she'll probably get angry and tell you it's none of your business.

Abuse means everyone loses. Resign yourself to feeling bad in some way. Then decide what you would like to feel bad for doing.

You're right, but here's my added two cents.
As someone who was physically and verbally abused throughout my childhood by a parent, I'm most definitely biased, but I think that you should do SOMETHING.
I'd probably say talk to your sister about it, and if patterns of this stuff continues, call CPS. Even if you ignore it, make sure to do something if this stuff continues.

Jeez, hope things turned out alright for you in the end and you're not too wrecked by that parent =( *hates seeing really bad effects of these types of things on good people who does not deserve it*

But the both of you are right. You can;t just sit around and let these things happen. If nobody intervened in it, it'll just go on until it's too late and the victim is messed up forever. Cops should be a last resort though. A good talking to from a family member, such as yourself, is a good first step. Just be calm about it

I have to say that anyone who calls their kid Apple probably does not have their best interests in mind. Even having that name is hilarious but given the situation you should investigate any child abuse as it could lead to serious emotional issues for her in life.

Off the record I would suggest she change her name.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Mr Pantomime:

Uh...I think you may have forgotten a crucial word or two there.(NOTE: I am not Blarg McBlarg, the guy you quoted. Just noticed that bit of nonsense and thought I'd intervene. Speaking of which...)

OP: At the very least, confront your sister about it. I wouldn't call the cops just yet, but don't just forget about it, either. Find out exactly what happened first, and go from there. The fact that you even need to ask this is actually kind of mind-boggling to me, especially since you're apparently old enough for your sibling to have a 14-year old daughter. That means you're almost definitely an adult, so my advice: Act like a damn adult.

Seriously though, get off your computer RIGHT NOW and GO TALK TO HER.

It might be because my brother is yelling nonsense in my ear, but I dont see it. What exactly is wrong?

I'd have called the police if I'd seen that. If I didn't go and beat hell out of your sister myself.

If a smack is ever necessary, it's because they insist on doing something *dangerous* like messing with a gas hob or putting their fingers in sockets. If you smack your kid because they won't do something you *think* they should do, because they won't run for money or work at some other kind of fund raiser- no matter who it's for, then you're just the scum of the earth.

it all depends on how apple (who names their kid apple?) looks towards you, if she looks up to you go talk to her, if not talk to the sis. if she screams stay calm, just say that you think she was out of line. if she does not get totaly hysterical great. problem solved if she gets hysterical try to keep talking till she calms down

I must be one of the few people that actually like the name Apple?
Although it is a little weird, but it isn't that bad, is it ?

As for my 2 cents, I got ninja'd on page one by:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.359520-I-just-watched-my-sister-beat-her-daughter-up-in-the-front-yard#14177571

So Apple isnt the only one she has exposed to physical abuse? Call CPS. Seriously. I doubt they will take the kid away but at least she could get some parenting lessons, it seems she needs them.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Veldie:
Im all for spankings but that seemed exessive it was over a fund raiser to get money for apple to cheer next year
Apple is 14 btw

Alright guys, be honest; who just imagined a montage of a giant Apple going through the first 18 years of her life? Being born ("Congratulations, its an Apple!"), rolling on its own for the first time, getting beaten up by her dad when she brings home a male banana, at graduation with one of those funny hats they wear in the US....

that is exactly what i imagined, how dare you call me boring, except it was a male apple she brought home

I dunno, Tag in?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Veldie:
Im all for spankings but that seemed exessive it was over a fund raiser to get money for apple to cheer next year
Apple is 14 btw

Alright guys, be honest; who just imagined a montage of a giant Apple going through the first 18 years of her life? Being born ("Congratulations, its an Apple!"), rolling on its own for the first time, getting beaten up by her dad when she brings home a male banana, at graduation with one of those funny hats they wear in the US....

No, just me? Fine. You guys are no fun.

OT: Talk to Apple about it. See how she feels.

I wish we could like posts like this. Seriously, I laughed like as mofo on this.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Veldie:
Apple is 14 btw

OT: Talk to Apple about it. See how she feels.

I did...

Anyway, you should totally smack your sister up and ask her how she likes it :D

I'm not saying that would do any good, but it would be interesting!

exessmirror:
it all depends on how apple (who names their kid apple?) looks towards you, if she looks up to you go talk to her, if not talk to the sis. if she screams stay calm, just say that you think she was out of line. if she does not get totaly hysterical great. problem solved if she gets hysterical try to keep talking till she calms down

If she gets hysterical, SMACK HER! SMACK SOME SENSE INTO HER! CALM YOURSELF, WOMAN! DAMMIT!

Unless I see it with my own eyes I refuse to believe that a mother would slam her own childs head into a door.

Veldie:

cookyy2k:

Veldie:
So as my usual day to day things go im sitting by my window with it open and I see Apple my niece come angerly out the front door then Kelly comes out after her and tells her to come here I see her bitch slap apple across the face and hit her a few times then as shes going to door i hear a thump apple i couldbt see due to limited view but apple says kelly slamed her head on the door

My sister is sitting in living room atm after yelling some and taking apples phone

Im not sure what i should do or say to her or ignore it

Apple is 14 btw

So how should I go about this?

CPS all the way, if you confront your sister it'll be a huge argument about how you don't understands or you can't tell her how to raise her kid or something. Anonymous call to CPS and they'll do all the important checks and such and act appropriately. That could be parenting classes, support for your niece or full removal in extreme cases. Either way it's what's best for your niece that should come first.

she would know its me who called em no one was outside there and i was known by window

Still call. Awkwardness doesn't compare to physcial violnece. If she had no qualms about doing this in front of you, what does she do at home? Also, even if she did this out of anger, the pain is still the same, and you can't take anything back, whether it be in anger or not.
CPS wont just take your kids away, never to be seen again. They have help for cases like this, where a little counseling and guidance can alter a family for the better.

If you feel like you need to get involved, then deep down, you know something isn't right. Better safe than sorry mate.

If she's as unreliable as other Apple products she probably deserved it.

*bad um tish*

Thanks for alot of great responses il try talking to her when she gets home from work

I think girls in my family have anger issues

My mom hit me with a clothes hanger before plastic and broke

They both throw shit around often destroying it and there in mid 50's and mid 30's..... my mom and sisters ages

Volf:

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to stand by and do nothing.

Staying out of it is not an option. Call CPS, take your sister to task over it, whatever - but doing nothing is simply not an option.

How is this even a question? Call the cops and child protective services.

Talk to your sister about your concerns. If she pulls out the "it's my child, I can do what I want" card, tell her it's not about her, but her child. If you are unsure, talk to your own parents and explain your concerns to them. Be present and don't hide your thoughts.

Be respectful and cautious and do it in a private setting face to face, but be firm about your concerns. No parent reserves the right to assault their children.

Bear in mind that CPS is always the last option. CPS is to be employed in severe cases of abuse.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Now I'm seeing that too...
Damn that is funny.

OT: Uh, I wouldn't do anything. Maybe if it escalates to a brawl or something, call the police.

I thought this was a bad copy/pasta at first. And now all I can think of is Chell having a convo with jump...I mean Apple.

Veldie:
So as my usual day to day things go im sitting by my window with it open and I see Apple my niece come angerly out the front door then Kelly comes out after her and tells her to come here I see her bitch slap apple across the face and hit her a few times then as shes going to door i hear a thump apple i couldbt see due to limited view but apple says kelly slamed her head on the door

My sister is sitting in living room atm after yelling some and taking apples phone

Im not sure what i should do or say to her or ignore it

Apple is 14 btw

So how should I go about this?

Bro, whatever you do, call Child Protective Services and / or the police who will then contact Child Protective Services. Being beaten by a trusted authority figure can and will fuck you up later, if it continues it can lead to mental health disorders. Think of the future and call 911, bro.

Quaidis:
You may be over-exaggerating everything. Unless Apple goes to school with a black eye and a concussion, I don't think the slap upside the head was all that harsh.

If you're concerned, go to your sister and ask her (in one version or another), "So this morning I saw you beating the absolute snot out of your kid. What on earth did she do?"

Should the answer your sister give not be satisfactory to the situation, further describe to your sister that anyone in the neighborhood could have seen that and that she should tone it down in the future. That you'd hate to see someone freak out and call the cops over something stupid.

The more you bend things out of proportion or sit on it dreading, the worse it's going to be for you. Confront the problem head on and don't act like it's huge, or you'll just end up freaking out your sister. Be mature on the matter, state your opinion.

Now obviously if Apple is sustaining injuries, or is getting her ass handed to her every day, you should call authorities on the matter and voice your concern to them. But for all you know Apple may have been a tramp (which kids at age 14 tend to be) and may have deserved it.

Yeah, I don't think taking her head and hitting it into the door, after beating her up [with fists, or feet I'm guessing] is not acceptable punishment for a child, and yes, a 14 year old is still a child.

Also, its a federal offense and like I said above, it can and almost guaranteed to cause mental disorders later in life. I had a very special person have to go to the hospital over heavy hallucination and stress related problems along with memories of being beaten by her mom attacked her to the max, causing a mental break down.

anthony87:
Unless I see it with my own eyes I refuse to believe that a mother would slam her own childs head into a door.

I don't man, humans do some wierd shit, like rape their own child or rape a five month year old.

JoesshittyOs:

soren7550:
CALL THE FREAKIN' POLICE!

HOW ABOUT NO?!

Jesus. It's one thing to call the police on the neighbor you don't know who's beating their kid on multiple occasions.

Calling the police because your sibling took the punishment too far? That's pathetic. You really wanna be the cause of your sister's kid getting put into foster care because you saw a argument that got out of hand that most likely is a rare occurrence? That's the kind of over-reaction that ruins every single person involved in that situations lives.

Be a responsible adult and member of the family. Tell your sister to cut the shit and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I've nearly been a victim of this type of over reaction that you're suggesting, and I'll tell you that little Apple over here doesn't want to lose her mommy because she ignored her warnings about hanging out with that good ole pothead Lucy.

As someone who has been in this sort of situation before (on the receiving end), I know full well that it'll only happen again, eventually being a frequent thing. I really wish I had been able to call the police, but alas wasn't. If this little shit of a mother is beating her kid around like this, then clearly she doesn't love her daughter, and the daughter is better off without her.

I'd recommend calling the police... but I think it would be better to get a handle on the situation first, see if it's likely the kid will end up with mental issues. Just... talk to her, maybe she had her own issues to deal with.

(Also, she named her daughter Apple? ...Meh, could be worse.)

If this is a one-time thing, I'd just stay out of it. People have bad days, tempers get out of hand. If this is something that has happened before, with any kind of frequency, call social services. I'm all for spanking to, but you don't beat on your 14 year old daughter.

Veldie:

lolz...

seriously though, I wouldn't do much of anything. I've seen worse and I also feel like you're not telling the whole story (though arguably that whole thing was over the line)... but parenting is a tricky thing and mistakes are made.

My dad once through my sister across the entire kitchen into the oven.

He once came after me and I tackled him into a couch... wasn't very physical with me afterwards, lolz...

But I don't hate my father and I'm not traumatized about it.

I myself am only going to use spanking as like a quick slap on a hand if they reach for something hot that they shouldn't, and I will NEVER EVER EVER hit a child out of anger.

It'll be awkward, but you need to do something about it. Talk to your sister about it, and if she doesn't relent, you need to contact the authorities.

That's the kind of crap that screws a kid up forever, makes them aggressive, hateful, violent.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked