Ken Levine (creator of BioShock) nominated as one of Time‘s 100 Most Influential People

First of all, read this. Finished reading it? No? You didn't even click it? Oh come on, it is only 1 short paragraph...

Fine. I'll put it here since you don't want to click it:

Time Magazine:
In 2007, Levine gave us BioShock, a dystopian game that folded Ayn Rand, psychological egoism and laissez-faire capitalism into a mind-bending first-person shooter. It was a masterpiece that helped spark the "games as art" debate. "When nothing matters but the market, whenever you make anything everything, you have horror," Levine explained at the time. His propensity to elevate the conversation makes the designer one of gaming's luminaries. Expect him to challenge players again with a sequel, Bioshock Infinite, due out this fall.

Ok, now that you've read it, what do you think about it?

Here's my two apples: I don't think he should make the list. BioShock was a pretty sweet game and it looks pretty and all, but I can think of at least a dozen other games that are not only better games, but look a lot better as well. Why are the creators of these games not getting put on the list? I also get that Levine is a pretty cool guy and has been fighting for the whole "games as art" thing, but so have others and their arguments are better, their voices louder.
I'll be honest, I don't know much about the guy besides this, his Wiki page, and a few other posts I found in a brief search, but I still remain unconvinced. But hey, I'll let you decide--quite literally since you can vote whether he makes it or not, by clicking on that link there (no account is needed)--whether he deserves it or not.

He's a better option than Manaj, Rihhana, Gaga, Tebow, Lin and a bunch of others.

Plus his games have been pretty good as well.

Well shit.

I'd say no, seeing how he's just a game designer, but compared to the idiots they put on this list, absolutely.

Edit: The again, there's a few authors on the Time's list that deserve it, so I think I'll just say that to a definite yes. He deserves it.

As much as I love Levine his being on this list is ridiculous there are many other people who deserve to be this list more than him.

Time Magazine is full of bullshit anyway. For example, take a look at their Man of the Year award, out of the last 10 years, only 6 of the winners being actual people. My favourite being 2006 when I won the award, totally wasn't expecting that, was just sleeping in high school, I guess they have good taste every now and then.

100 is a big list, i would be hard pressed to fill it.

First off, BioShock was great but it wasn't that great.

Second, Ken Levine threw away all respect he had earned from me with his comments about Mass Effect 3's ending. Fuck that man.

He is one of the leading creative figures in the largest entertainment industry in the world.

If that doesn't get you at least put into the consideration for a "most influential" list, I don't know what does.

Woodsey:
He is one of the leading creative figures in the largest entertainment industry in the world.

If that doesn't get you at least put into the consideration for a "most influential" list, I don't know what does.

You could argue he lost his creativity a long time ago.

>Take System Shock 2
>Remove the stats and some RPG elements
>Ayn Rand'ify it
>End Result: Bioshock

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked