Disturbing events close to home

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You hear about murders and crime happening every day, but have you had some events that hit close to home? I've had a few.

Several years back at my sister's law school graduation one of her fellow class mates was brutally murdered and dismembered with her parts stuffed in a dumpster. I had just met her a few days prior to this happening.

Today a guy who I knew fairly well from middle and high school punched his 3 month old daughter in the head because she wouldn't stop crying. He was trying to take a nap. The child died from a skull fracture a few hours later. Now he is in jail.

Until recently, my neighbourhood was pretty quiet... even if we have had one house with a bunch of scum in it long term, they are rarely there.

About six months ago one of those "facebook parties" kicked off at the end of the street and all hell broke loose. Cops with dogs and horses, helicopters, the works.

We found out a few years ago that our home used to be home to an abusive asshole and his victim/wife. We'd long wondered why there was a latch on the kitchen side of the laundry door, and why the door had a hole repaired in it.. figured it was because of a breakin. In fact, it was where she finally managed to break out of the laundry where he locked her when he went out.

The bar my wife worked in got attacked by a gang of twenty drunken aboriginals with machettes and axes. The regulars had to lock them out and call the police with the help of the staff. Fortunately my wife wasn't there at the time.

Ando85:

Several years back at my sister's law school graduation one of her fellow class mates was brutally murdered and dismembered with her parts stuffed in a dumpster. I had just met her a few days prior to this happening.

Very similar to this.

A friend of mine years ago moved to Blackpool.

A few months later we got news he had been beheaded and they found his body in a bin. Head was never found.

Not really. For some reason where ever I live is a great place for criminals to hide from the police. More than once I've had to pass through a blockade of police cars to get to work. We've seen the helicopters and police dogs.

My bank has been robbed 3 times.

IDK, nothing big really. Not like brutal murders or child molesters.

Just a couple of miles away from where i live, a guy murdered his disabled girlfriend not too long ago. He ran from the police for a while, but he got found a couple of weeks later.

Fucking dickhead, I hope he rots in jail.

Also, where I used to live, two miles away some homeless teenage girl got chopped out and put in a suitcase in Morrison's car park. The guy who found it must of been traumatized. It was also very strange, because it was pretty much a crime free area too, no murders happened for at least two decades.

A man was tied to a chair and burnt alive a few months ago, a few miles from where my girlfriend lives.

Captcha:

Abide with me.

That is fucking creepy, given the topic.

There were two murders in the village I grew up in. But one was before I was born and the other when I was about three.
The second one was committed by a guy my mum went to school with, he'd been having an affair with a woman or something and then ended up strangling her. My mum ran into him at the post-office just before he got arrested (and she had all her kids with her), I imagine that was awkward.

Other than that, last year a guy down the road from us tried to/may have set fire to the courthouse cause he didn't like a sentance his friend got. I think he's in jail now.

But sadly its mostly suicides. There have been two people throw themselves in front of a train that I know of since I've been living here (about 2 1/2 years).

I had my house broken into twice while I was at university, the same house both times. First was at Christmas when me and my housemates were all away back home for the period, when we returned to the house we were renting we found it had been broken into - they never found the culprits though it was believed it was a disgruntled ex-employee of our landlord, who had copies of the master bedroom key made, since the bedroom doors had all been unlocked normally even though the front window was smashed. The second time was at Easter, again when we were all away. We came back again to find it broken into again, and guess what? Both times one of my housemates, the last to leave, didn't bother turning the burgler alarm on. At all. In fact, I was probably one of about two or three people (out of ten of us) who did always remember to put the alarm on when leaving the house for ANY reason.

Thankfully I got most of my stuff back from the insurance, including a brand new Xbox 360 (and the idiot thieves fogot to take the power cable when they stole my first Xbox, so it was useless to them anyway :P). The next place I lived in was a lot safer and we did always put the alarm on, so nothing to worry about there...

EDIT: Oh, also, the place I was living in at that time (where I'd like to go and live again when I find fullt-time work)? It was one of the haunts of the Yorkshire Ripper, and I lived last year right opposite Hyde Park in Leeds (where he attacked at least one of his victims), and I plan to be shooting a short film soon in the home of film-making, Roundhay Park, where he attacked another of his victims too.

there was a few months ago a few gang related murders. in a week 5 ppl got killed, 3 on the same day

A few years ago someone in my old area got shot with an air rifle. Over time there've been plenty of people stabbed there too. That was in the rough side though. Our half was nice but once you crossed the main road it got dangerous and it looked awful aswell: thin, dirty tracksuit-wearing junkies skulked around with cans of Diamond White and the only bit of grass they had was occupied by gypsies who left all their rubbish on the side of the green.

about 6 months ago the old woman that lived in the house behind mine went missing, a few months later her elderly husband offed himself.

Just recently they found his wife... stuffed in the septic tank.

There was a rape just down the street from me last year sometime. The rapist still hasn't been caught.

The closest one for me would be these guys who shot a another guy t the gas station right next to my dad's work. I think he died. :/

Several years ago a little girl was kidnapped about 5km from where I live. It was over some sort of business dispute. The guy that kidnapped her lived a few doors down on my street. Armed police raided the house and had forensics go through. While a cop with an assault rifle stood guard outside.

EDIT: This is New Zealand BTW. Our police don't carry guns unless they have prior knowledge of a person having a weapon.

My neighborhood has had a few ups and downs...and by a few I mean spurts of boredom followed by some pretty ridiculous shit. The latest thing that happened was this; 3 teens were messing with a shotgun, it goes off, one dies and the other two run off like jack-asses. This happened about 5 minutes (average walking pace) from my front door.

Remember the Beltway Sniper who plagued the DC area back in 2002? The first fatality happened about 5 minutes (driving) from my front door and right outside of my then-girlfriend's neighborhood.

Other than that there hasn't been a lot in the way of major crimes that I can remember. My neighborhood is between green and, yellow where it comes to being a hot-bed of gang activity so there's that.

Once a year, we have this parade followed by heavy drinking in my town.

So, one day, someone I knew gets stabbed and dies while at this festival. The guy who stabbed him goes to prison.

And what happens? Two years later, exactly two years later, that guy gets out of prison and visits the festival again. I almost shit my pants.

Two years ago a girl from the college I went to at the time, and which happens to be my campus for University, was raped and murdered by a man pretending to be someone else on Facebook. He since got arrested and slashed pretty badly across the face in prison.

I'd heard there was another murder two or three weeks ago but haven't found any details, so I'm taking what I've heard with a pinch of salt.

A woman stabbed her brother to death after threatening several people at a party he was holding, he gave her a knife and said she should do it or leave. She did it.

It's not a particularly nice town, especially as far as violent crime goes. A close friend of mine was GBH'd by his own brother.

Wow mine seems so g-rated compared to everyone else. The only thing i really remember is that about 10 years ago a cougar (mountain lion, not sex in the city) was found chilling on the walk out patio of my neighbour. It was about 5 feet away with only a glass patio door between them.

My first school was in Deltona, Florida which I'll now always associate with the "Xbox murders" in 2004.

I played baseball in Sanford, Florida (just south of Deltona) for a solid year which is where this whole ugly hoodie murder business is playing out.

There was one of those horrific multiple vehicle pileups on the stretch of road I used to use to get to school last summer, which was all over the national news for a couple of days. That was pretty strange, since big car crashes (to me at least) often don't seem as emotive as more "personal" incidents (murders, rapes etc), until they happen in your area.

A couple of terms ago there was a series of rapes and sexual assaults by the same guy against students from my university and the other university in the city. The women were grabbed off well-lit, residential streets and everything. Thankfully no-one I knew, even indirectly, was hurt, but I didn't go outside at night without my boyfriend or some male friends for a while. That felt strange as well, because though I'm obviously aware of that sort of basic safety precaution usually, it's different when you genuinely and rationally feel that something might happen to you. The city is usually incredibly safe too. Never thought I'd be scared to walk "my" streets, you know?

Just over a year ago while I was at college a cop was shot and killed right outside my mom's house. The hospital across the street had to replace a bunch of windows that got hit by stray bullets; lucky it wasn't my mom's house.

Honestly, been kind of afraid to go in the city since then.

Someone who I would've considered a mutual friend got done for armed robbery whilst we were still in sixth form. (17yo)

My next-door neighbour got burgled, could have been me but we got an alarm. These things happen though.

My dad, when I was 10, got dump-tackled after a game of rugby when he went for a drink at the mess' bar. His head caught the corner of the bar and he suffered concussion. Just as he's leaving the hospital the next morning he mentioned he felt pressure in his ears. Luckily the doctor heard him and rushed him in for a CT scan. He was suffering a brain haemorrhage and had the doctor not spotted this, he would've been dead by the end of the day. Despite this he's had several promotions in his job since, but he does suffer with some short-term memory loss at times.

When I was a toddler my parents refused my grandparents to take me to the states for a holiday. They were involved in a head-on collision with a speeder on the way to the airport. They suffered broken bones and to this day I don't know the damage to the rest of the car. Probably for the best. I waste no sleep on this one because one change to the past can change events in the future. If my parents said yes, my grandparents car could've left later, missing the collision.

But hell, I'm sure people have had worse. So no wasted sympathy on close calls for me ;D

As for my geographical area, an expecting mother was stabbed repeatedly, then her house burned down a few weeks ago. A few weeks before that a husband who was separated from his wife waltzed into her hairdressers with a shotgun, let rip and injured 2-3 people, then walked into the woods near my housing area to top himself, burglaries happen all over the place and it isn't Newport if there aren't druggies pleading you for money around the city centre. Not to mention the rapist who got thrown in prison after raping a teen girl by the train-station. Other than that it's a nice area though, minus the monthly high-speed accidents on the 70mph duel carriageway by my house.

My uncle had a certain brain injury while at home. He was a very outgoing person, loved to sail and ride motorcycles. But he didn't talk to family or friends a lot. So it took a week or two untill my father finally found him. He had been lying in his home, half alive all that time. At the hospital his closer relatives could still get a word or two out of him, and then they let him off life support. Also, it was the most touching funeral I've ever been to. I'd never even know what kind of person he was until I heard people speak of him at his funeral. They told some amazing stories.

Rawne1980:

Ando85:

Very similar to this.

A friend of mine years ago moved to Blackpool.

A few months later we got news he had been beheaded and they found his body in a bin. Head was never found.

I live very near to blackpool (closest town apart from Poulton) and didn't hear about this, then again, I don't really keep up with the news that well, otherwise nothing that bad has happened to anyone I know, just somone got stabbed outside of the 6th form that I went to a year before I went there.

Someone was murdered down the street from a friend of mine in her house.
What really freaked me out was when he just said "Oh, yeah. That kind of thing happens all the time up here. Pretty much everyone else on the street is on heroin."

And my high school RMPS teacher's children went to Dunblane primary school at the time of the massacre.
And Dunblane is less than an hour's drive from my town.

There was a kid I served in the army with... talented, charismatic, model soldier... fun dude to hang out with, too. I didn't know him all that well, but I was the guy who wound up assigning him to a barracks room and handling several equipment snafus for him (I was a surplus soldier with no position open in what I had trained to do.. so I wound up in headquarters).
...so I also had to help clean things up when he killed himself. For some reason that tore me up worse than any of the friends I had previously lost on deployments.

Oh, also one of my old sergeants committed suicide by police officer a few years ago (public disturbance call, started shooting when they arrived... he was firing blanks). Not that he lived anywhere near me at the time.
and they say we're not the new Vietnam generation. heh.

AndyRock:

I live very near to blackpool (closest town apart from Poulton) and didn't hear about this, then again, I don't really keep up with the news that well, otherwise nothing that bad has happened to anyone I know, just somone got stabbed outside of the 6th form that I went to a year before I went there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6206646.stm

It was quite a few years ago it happened. We were 17 then and i'm 31 now so it wasn't a recent thing.

He was from Burnley (the town we live in) and moved to Blackpool looking for work. I didn't hear about it for a while, I was in the army.

My friends name was Chris Hartley.

Parts of the teenager's body were found behind the resort's New Central Hotel later that day but his head has never been recovered.

And that was the most disturbing part of it.

Last year a student at my college disappeared. When they finally found her body in the woods nearby they said she had been beaten, raped, and then lit on fire when she may have been still alive.

We were on lockdown for months and to be honest I carried a small knife around with me whenever I went out late at night.

So, at my old school, a temporary teacher got Year 7 students to hold Dry Ice (which is -A Lot Celcius) for as long as they physically could withstand doing so... Without any kind of safety gear. Most of them got hideous blistering, some of them were taken to hospital, and at least a couple of them are going to be scarred for life.

Man, am I glad I'm out of that place.

Where I live it's been pretty quiet. The past two years things are starting to turn out crazy though. People get stabbed frequently(by different attackers every time). Only one person has died from it afaik, but tons have gotten disfiguring scars. Often young women are the victims.
Also had an event during the time UK had problems with people rioting. The Swedish youngsters decided to try and kickstart such events here as well, so they trashed our subway and the shops surrounding it.
Fucking retards.

LittleMikey:
There was a rape just down the street from me last year sometime. The rapist still hasn't been caught.

quote + avatar = :'( im scared

The only thing i get here locally is the unending supply of meth heads & child abusers. I really wish i could provide the punishment for the child abusers, they would suffer greatly.

we had behind the old hardware store down the road many years ago a guy get killed in the carpark over drug related things from memory... the funny thing was the next morning i walked past the crime scene and didnt see any tape or anything. Forgot to say that while in high school we were taken out onto the school oval for a fire drill.. or so i thought as it turns out later i found out on the news a gunman was on the run near school grounds and police helicopters and cars were in the area.. i always thought the school was stupid later on for putting the entire student populous in a wide open area instead of keeping them in the buildings during the situation.

Murder-suicide in a crack den across my street two years ago.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked