one planet = multiple senteint species?

Pages PREV 1 2

Didn't the Drell and the jellyfish-like races live on the same planet in Mass Effect?

Fieldy409:
I remember In star trek enterprise there was this one episode where two sentient races lived on this planet, and a plague was killing the more advanced one.

It was retarded though, the doctor from the enterprise actually figured out the cure for this plague and then refused to give it to the dieing race because it would be meddling with their natural evolution. Apparently the less advanced race was destined to inherit the planet or some such nonsense.

I refuse to accept that evolution is more important than a sentient creatures life. I really wish archer didnt end up agreeing and deny them their cure.

If that is the episode I think it is, you got it slightly wrong. Both societies lived on different planets, and on both of them that plague broke out, but only one had a plant which contained something to heal it. The other, originally more advanced planet, didn't have that plant, so they traded all kinds of commodities for the medicine. When the plague was completely eradicated, both societies were addicted to the medicine, and only the one supplying it overcame the addiction, while the other planet mistook the withdrawal symptoms for the plague. Dr.Crusher wanted to give them a non-addictive substitute to overcome these withdrawal symptoms.

[edit]Sorry, I only just noticed that you referred to Cpt.Archer. Did the writers run out of ideas when they made that new series?

I'm surprised that the Gungans and those other people on Naboo haven't shown up immediately.

Ranorak:
Didn't the Drell and the jellyfish-like races live on the same planet in Mass Effect?

As far as I remember, the Hanar pretty much adopted the Drell, because their original homeworld was uninhabitable, so this probably doesn't count.

I always thought it was more like adaptation within one species: Dwarves evolved from the people who went into caves: therefore they became shorter, grew more hair (lack of pelts to make clothes) and became stronger.
Elves usually seem to come from forests, where they need to use agility and speed to get around. Plus, the forests always seem to have some kind of magic spirit.

It's like how humans in the north have fairer hair and skin than those on the equator (because the sun causes the darkening, which protects them from UV radiation. In the north, you don't usually need that).

Ultratwinkie:
This always bugged me.

In fantasy, you can have many sentient races. Dwarves, humans, elves, lizard people, cat people, whatever. No one bats an eye at the many sentient species evolving and sharing one finite world.

However in Sci-fi, I have yet to see the same situation. By this I mean multiple races on one planet.

sci-fi had some-too.

see : voyager http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Natural_Law_(episode)
two races evolve, one stays protected by a shield barrier and thus survives the other ones 'advancements'.
--------
but its always that one race evolves faster and tends to enslave or kill the other one.
and sometimes the races tend to be extinct due to mixing them and one being genetically dominant.

hell we even shared this planet with homo neanderthalensis for a time (still have around 2% of their genetical material in us.)

before they somehow 'vanished' *hiddes axe in the garden*

so they can be multiple races on one planet if :
a) do not have dominance genetically wise and tend not to screw around too often.
b) the evolved one does not try to kill and enslave the other ones.
c) they both are equally strong and capable to fend off the other ones but do not have the bloodlust to continue fighting when they have the upper hand.
d) are separated from each other due lack of technology and willpower to circumnavigate their world until the different races have evolved to a point where they can communicate and 'handle' each other

In fantasy, maybe--species evolve "hiding" forms (elves in forest, dwarves in cave, "hobbits" everywhere). In real life, the "most" intelligent species (assuming all such can travel and adapt to live everywhere) would see the lesser races as direct competitors for food, water, etc., and immediately begin pushing them to the margins, then to extinction. There's strong evidence that early man did this to the hominids of the time. In a Sci-Fi world, this would probably involve some kind of "our ancestors conquered our planet, before we conquered the stars".
The same thing could happen to produce a "planet of hats", where the strongest socio-political system would squash the others, producing a world government, world religion, world flag, etc.

Ultratwinkie:
This always bugged me.

In fantasy, you can have many sentient races. Dwarves, humans, elves, lizard people, cat people, whatever. No one bats an eye at the many sapient species evolving and sharing one finite world. However in Sci-fi, I have yet to see the same situation. By this I mean multiple races on one planet.

For example, lets say multiple races evolve on a single planet. They all both intelligent, all civilizations.

There seems to be an unspoken rule where:

One race -> one planet in sci-fi.

So I ask, is it possible for multiple sapient species to evolve on one planet? And is there any instance of this happening in any sci fi? I have yet to find anything.

Edit: I was kinda looking more at Humans and the cat/lizard people somehow evolving (unrelated genes) than the neanderthal connection. I also edited to replace sentient with sapient, since it seems to be a better word.

Here's one example for you. Doctor Who. Silurians, also known as 'Homo Reptilia'. A lizard-man race that evolved on Earth long before humans, and were forced underground into hibernation after the human species evolved and bred like rabbits. They appear in sveeral stories, and humans almost always mistake them for an alien race, while the Silurians are pretty desperate instead to wipe the 'apes' off the planet and reclaim what they consider to be their rightful world. Basically, extreme racism...

Ultratwinkie:
This always bugged me.

In fantasy, you can have many sentient races. Dwarves, humans, elves, lizard people, cat people, whatever. No one bats an eye at the many sapient species evolving and sharing one finite world. However in Sci-fi, I have yet to see the same situation. By this I mean multiple races on one planet.

For example, lets say multiple races evolve on a single planet. They all both intelligent, all civilizations.

There seems to be an unspoken rule where:

One race -> one planet in sci-fi.

So I ask, is it possible for multiple sapient species to evolve on one planet? And is there any instance of this happening in any sci fi? I have yet to find anything.

Edit: I was kinda looking more at Humans and the cat/lizard people somehow evolving (unrelated genes) than the neanderthal connection. I also edited to replace sentient with sapient, since it seems to be a better word.

Sapient does not mean what you think it means. You wanted sentient, or maybe just intelligent. Sapient as an adjective means "wise, or attempting to appear wise" and as a noun means "a human of the species Homo sapiens" Sentient, on the other hand means "Able to perceive or feel things: "sentient life forms"".

OT: I find it unlikely myself, unless you mean two races that are very close, like Neandertals and Cro Magnon. For two different types of creatures(like mammals and reptiles) to both evolve all the way to the "peak", they would pretty much have to be isolated from each other I think.

At least using the only reference point we have, Earth, one type of creature heavily dominates the others, preventing them from reaching the same heights of evolution. Like how mammals were generally small and low on the evolutionary ladder when Dinosaurs roamed. Or now how mammals have prevented most other orders from evolving very far.

I mean, now the only truly large creatures that aren't mammals are condors, and crocodiles, and sharks, and mammals far outnumber them. So maybe it could happen if one was land based and the other was water or air based instead.

So I don't see it being possible that two land-based sentient species could evolve on the same planet.

I would say it is near impossible because as the species evolve it's in their nature to compete with resources from other species. It's how evolution works on Earth. The better the member of a species is at competing for resources, the more likely that species is to succeed over the other given that evolution steers the species down a more successful path of living... if you know what I mean.

But given the sheer amount of stars in our galaxy, especially under new-found knowledge that most of these have solid planets circling them, it would actually be highly probable there are planets with life out there with different methods of evolution. Maybe sapient species that can co-exist due to an abundance of resources, unlike our planet where early life had to essentially terra-form the surface and the oceans to create oxygen, a more effective source of respiration.

I mean, just LOOK at this zoom-able picture of our galaxy, give it a shot. It's fascinating to think how many solar systems there are.

HTML5: http://djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html
Requires a HTML 5 compatible Internet Browser... basically, latest versions of anything except IE, because it just outright can't do HTML5.

Also, aren't Apes sapient, but primitive? They use tools and share emotions and can communicate primitively with humans. Like, hello, I like, I don't like, Can I have, You've annoyed me...
...and aren't Dolphins borderline sapient? They communicate, have a social structure like man and ape, show compassion to each other and humans, conduct sex recreationally like humans and apes etc.

barbzilla:
Well there is Star Wars. Tatooine has 2 sentient races evolving on the same planet (Tusken Raiders and Hutts). I am sure there are other examples as well.

Actually, it's the Tusken Raiders and the Jawas. Hutts came from the planet Varl.

I think it would be harder to find multiple sapient species evolved on a planet if they were human-like in terms of their world-view. But I think all bets are off with aliens. By their definition, they are not human. Without any examples aside from Earth, it's all but impossible to have a surefire answer.

There are also a ton of variables to take in consideration. With humans, it was fairly easy to get anywhere habitable on the planet and defeat the competition (it took a while but it was done.) I think a planet with more isolated continents may have a better chance for multiple species to live parallel.

You could also have a species evolve on land and another underwater. Being underwater has limits in terms of technological development, but life itself is overcoming adversity, so I don't see why not. Or you could have 2 sapient species living symbiotically (like the Iskyoort in one of the Animorphs books). Given the diversity of life on our planet alone, I think there's a universe of crazy out there.

Last point in this rambling post: If evolving sapience is a one-way track (all intelligent species think like humans do), then I imagine it'll be a lot harder finding a world with multiple advanced species.

barbzilla:
Well there is Star Wars. Tatooine has 2 sentient races evolving on the same planet (Tusken Raiders and Hutts). I am sure there are other examples as well.

As far as the likelihood of this happening though, the chances are very slim. Somewhere (must dig through my books to find the reference) I have seen an article on the multi-intelligence theory in relation to evolutionary survival. Because evolution of different species happens at different intervals it is unlikely that multiple species would evolve hyper intelligence at the same time. This poses a problem to multiple intelligent races existing on the same planet as one of the stages toward intelligent evolution is usually a hostile stage. This would lead to one species destroying the other.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Hutts are native to Tatoine

OT: I think the 1 sapient species per world in sci-fi is certainly due to "the one that removed the others in same way, shape or form"

Ranorak:

yes, but they didn't evolve on the same planet. The Hanar saved some of the Drell when they overpoluted their planet into oblivion

Halfstache:

barbzilla:

Actually, it's the Tusken Raiders and the Jawas. Hutts came from the planet Varl.

Oops, right on man. I always forget about the damn Jawas.... evil little bastards ripped me off on a droid a while back.

Because the probability of two entirely separate "paths" of sapience forming is bloody slim. However common ancestor, now we are talking... but wait, then they are competing no? It only takes one hard time for the more aggressive / fast breeding race to eliminate the other. And looking at the history of... anywhere in the universe, expecting these two races to get any decent civilisation before one murders or out-breeds the other is a crap-shoot deluxe.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked