Persecution Complex

It's everyone else's fault! They're just vilifying me because I'm not like them.

I fucking hate persecution complexes. But why do people develop them in the first place? I've seen friends who are otherwise emotionally stable explode at the idea that someone else doesn't agree with their hobbies, and then begin heaping blame on everyone else thinking that because of a disagreement, the other person is actively attacking them.

Why does this happen? And what can be done to fix it?

hmmmm.....

because the Idea is apealing in a way....vailidating yourself in the belif that your always crusading against the close minded haters (Ive had it at some point)

Is it safe to comment here?? they aren't watching me are they??.....

Well I'd have to agree with Vault101, it is a way of making yourself feel better, or important. I mean if everyone is out to get you, you must be important right? Also, some people are just overly sensitive and every slight or perceived slight is amplified in their heads, so they attach more importance to it. Not sure how you'd go about fixing it, I mean if it isn't too severe, you could try just talking to them; but if it's bad, they'll see that as another attack.

So people can invalidate the comments of detractors? I guess some members of every fandom are too insecure to simply shrug off criticism and have to go and pick apart someone else saying they don't like it (even if it's a completely subjective thing). As Vault101 said, it allows them to belittle their opposition and imagine they're the noble moral crusader. Of course, that doesn't actually work, it just entrenches your position and usually leads to flame wars in forums.

As for fixing it? I don't think you can, in the same way that some people are never going to realise that others are going to like what they don't like regardless of how much they rant about it (which is the reverse of persecution complex, thinking about it)

You do realise the other side is just as common? And that people often believe other people are attacking them because they deserve to be attacked/are always wrong and are worthless.

If anything this thread is an abstract form of you raging against persecution, so I hope you realise how stupid this all is. Nothing can be done to fix it, you only make it worse by openly getting angry and therefore validating either side of the persecutory beliefs.

Either can be an indicator of mental illness if severe enough to be noticeable on a regular basis (so maybe stop and think about that before you 'fucking hate' something), if you actually want to do something about it try to stop and understand why the other person is responding how they are.

I've never heard of a persecution complex, but in the few psych courses I've studied I've been told that this basic reaction to blame others even when it's your own fault is a method the psyche has of protecting your self-image, self-worth, and self-esteem. Sounds like a guess to me, but that's what I've heard.

The worst of this kind is the conspiracy theorists, always thinking that their little club are the only ones who know the truth/aren't paid off.

I've always seen it as something natural. I mean, isn't it an evolutionary thing to kind of have this rivalry between people? Instead of 'u no touch my food' it's now 'U no think differently' Because we've gone from hunter/gatherers > social society

Cavan:
You do realise the other side is just as common? And that people often believe other people are attacking them because they deserve to be attacked/are always wrong and are worthless.

If anything this thread is an abstract form of you raging against persecution, so I hope you realise how stupid this all is. Nothing can be done to fix it, you only make it worse by openly getting angry and therefore validating either side of the persecutory beliefs.

Either can be an indicator of mental illness if severe enough to be noticeable on a regular basis (so maybe stop and think about that before you 'fucking hate' something), if you actually want to do something about it try to stop and understand why the other person is responding how they are.

I didnt think the OP was talking abotut he kind serious enough to a mental illness but jsut a general attitude held by the "nerd/geek" population

but yeah....I forgot that people actually still think like that (I was on yahoo answers where somone was inquiring about the "comic book crash" of 96 and there were a couple "they stoping doing pintless things/they all got laid instead" comments...it baffles me..do people think they are cool or somthing when they say that? have thease dumbasses ever even bothered to pick up a comic book or videogame?

anyway my point is stuff like that makes me angry enough, such a reaction (as in persecution complex) is almost understandable

and of coarse its cathartic to ramble on about things...as I just did there (an dmy first post where I unfairly refered to my sister as a dumb bitch)

Perhaps its more to do with people being unable to perceive different types of criticism. I think a lot of people will assume that anything said contrary to their opinion is in some way an insult to themselves.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked