Valve Fans.. I Want To Understand You

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Now I won't lie- this relates to the March Mayhem's Final Round of 2012 with Valve vs Bioware. When seeing the results that Valve was winning by a land side, I questioned some people for their reasons as to why they picked Valve. Even though personally I find it very silly if people vote for Valve mainly because of Steam.. a store, I have nothing against people voting for them otherwise like Portal 2 for example.

But this thread isn't about Valve fans being wrong, or why I dislike the,- no no, I like Valve actually and those supporting Valve have a right to do so. The problem is that I don't know much about Valve since sadly I never gotten really into their games like I did with Bethesda's. So this thread overall is about.. well, you! I want your feedback as to why Valve means a lot to you, why you love it, and so forth. If you're unsure how to post your feelings on Valve, I shall make questions to guide you in answering if you guys have the time:

1) When did you become interested in Valve?

2) How did Valve stand out to you more then any other gaming company?

3) Is there any flaws you've found in Valve or their games?

4) What do you hope to see in future Valve games? (as in what are the future games going to be based off of?)

Anything else, feel free to add. You don't even have to answer all these questions- they're just there to help you out if you feel like posting in this thread. See, I think personally that a lot of people get on Valve fans because Valve keeps getting in the final rounds and won two March Mayhem's I believe (if I am wrong, please correct me otherwise.)

Caramel Frappe:
snip.)

so its valve vs Bioware?..agian? (I missed out on the fun this year because of my ME3 induced Hiatus)

no surpise valve would be winning..since Bioware are satans pawn right now..aparently

to be fair Valve is definetly the PIXAR of the videogame world...saints compared the monster of EA

that said my relationship with valve is love/hate

steam....ooohhhh boy...steam..

I used to have a 6gb download cap, which made trying to work around steam a nightmare at times (By left 4 dead and its got 2.5 gigs worth of update i have to download) forced updating didnt work well for that

like the day I got fallout new vegas..so excited...but by then I had run out of internet..It needed to download like 20mb (or 100)...I raged so hard

also there was that random quote of "no more true single player in the future" which got me all annoyed

Caramel Frappe:

4) What do you hope to see in future Valve games? (as in what are the future games going to be based off of?)

snip bits

1. Valve's Games have always been a barrel of fun i have never been bored of any of there games. there funny scary intense and great game makers

2. the Steam Workshop and DOTA 2 is coming out soon. now i LOVE DOTA and portal is amazing

3. I think Half Life was over rated but still a good game

4. i would like to see a Fantasy RPG or even a Footman Frenzy sort of varient

But yes Valve is great game makers have good sense of humor and i think listens to the fans

Caramel Frappe:
-snip-

-snip-

1. About 8 years ago. Sometime around 2002.

2. They had an internet shop, an interesting one at that. Also the games they developed internally were of good quality.

3. Their offline mode isn't exactly offline. Nor is their shop cheap, despite it being digital.

4. I do not know, because as so far I've seen Valve cannot count up to three. In saying that, I'm sure they'll do just fine with whatever they wish to do.

I like Valve for Portal and Half Life, but they lose a lot of points with me since they only seem to be capable of making first person shooters. I mean, try for some variety for Christ's sake.

Anyway, to answer the questions.

1) 2011, when I rediscovered my passion for gaming. I got Portal for free during Portal 2's release, they impressed me so I gave them a good mark.

2) They stand out because of Steam, no other reason.

3) They only make shooters.

4) Don't make another shooter

Seriously, the first person shooter is one of the most limited genres in terms of innovation. You point your gun at things and you shoot them, that's all it's ever been.

Regnes:
I like Valve for Portal and Half Life, but they lose a lot of points with me since they only seem to be capable of making first person shooters. I mean, try for some variety for Christ's sake.

Anyway, to answer the questions.

1) 2011, when I rediscovered my passion for gaming. I got Portal for free during Portal 2's release, they impressed me so I gave them a good mark.

2) They stand out because of Steam, no other reason.

Well for #4 you're in luck, since DOTA 2 isn't a shooter. But then there's CS:GO.

Caramel Frappe:

One of my first games EVER was Half Life back in 1999 (the time I started playing games on the PC). Even though I was just a shrimp a friend of my mother got it for me for my birthday and I played the shit out of it on my rig (and roughtly 10 fps).

Well, from my standpoint today:
They don't follow trends. They do what they think would be more fun for their customers and this is to be seen in their games. They don't adapt stupid mechanics (like regen HP) to the games where your health matters (L4D and CS).
Also there is always a certain quality to the games. They run smooth, have next to none bugs and the following community support (on the PC) is extremly good.
Aaaaand: I use Steam. A lot. In this week I bought 2 games (Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! and Gotham City Impostors) and with the wide range of genres + the amazing pricedrops during sales I am more willing to risk a purchase because the 5€ won't hurt me. This way I discovered so many amazing games that I would've never played.
The unique way they tell a story. Most is told through setpieces, backgroud chatter and such. If you are not used to it you could think that there is no story in their games but I just say: You can't see the subtle messages in every thing that you see.

From my "dream job" standpoint: Valve is the perfect company to work for. They are not run by investors, they are run by Gabe who, in various intervies, himself said that he has no particular idea what his people are working on. As an employe you choose what project you want to work on and inform Gabe about it if there is a reason to inform him.

Release times. The all-known Valve Time problem.

I really hope that after DOTA2 they start to explore other genres. I'd like to see them go into the RPG part and release another gamechanger like HL.

Regnes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Swarm

The fun part is that both of them are free at the moment too, but Dota 2 is in the beta right now.

TopazFusion:

Vault101:
also there was that random quote of "no more true single player in the future" which got me all annoyed

What the ....? When was this?

hmm..somtimes after the relase of Portal 2 (in regards to its co-op)

I think it was one of those "random quote thats to vauge to actually mean anything except get people riled up" types things.....considering its forgotten its not much of an issue

maddawg IAJI:

The fun part is that both of them are free at the moment too, but Dota 2 is in the beta right now.

I'm not sure DotA 2 really counts. Icefrog made the game, Valve are just throwing money at him (well, that's not quite what's going on, but close enough).

Steam, Orange Box, Counter Strike, Half Life. Just 4 of the multitude of reasons why Valve are great.

1/ It would have been early 2001, after finishing Deus Ex I was looking for something new and a friend recommended Half Life. It wasn't quite as good as Deus Ex (of course) but it did have an interesting approach to story, and very impressive AI for the time.

2/ It was the approach to story that stood out for me, never breaking character. It was ground breaking stuff for the time.

3/ Richochet.

4/ I'm hoping for closure, just like most Half Life/Valve fans.

They never release a shoddy product, and then they continue to make improvements. Also they always either have the PC as primary development or a really good PC port.

Right after Half-Life 1. It hought it was a brilliant game and it actually was. One of the better graphics back then and probably the best A.I. for the time. Furthermore, the story was really good and I enjoyed being direct part of it - no cutscenes and all. And, of course, the multiplayer was mighty fun. All of this was reinforced in Opposing Force - cool story, nice setting, awesome multiplayer.

It's not like we had much of a choice back then, well, not as much as now, anyway. But what made Valve stand out was the incredibly ability of HL to be modded. I've seen amazing mods multiplayer and singleplayer alike. Some of them changed the game a lot, like the mod that was called Worms...because you were playing 3D worms. There was also one that I forget the name of, but it mixed up strategy with the shooting bit, and I mean planning and building bases (It was space marines vs aliens of some description). And, of course, there was Counter-Strike. None of these were actually Valve's work, but they were possible because of Valve.

Oh, yes. There isn't a flawless game. Valve's flaws range from bugs to balance issues but all in all their games are of sufficient quality to overlook those.

Frankly, I don't know. I wish they expanded on the Half-Life universe, maybe even bring back Adrian Shephard but Valve don't seem to want to release a lot of games. And the delay in the HL franchise makes me sad.

1) CS:S and TF2 really stood out to me after I'd been playing CoD on Xbox for a good while, made me realize what a decent FPS was. Also Steam is an absolutely amazing piece of software and has amazing deals in the store all the time.

2) Constant updates of their games, such as free content always being added to TF2 and L4D. Giving out freebies and amazing deals a lot of the time (like in the summer and christmas sales).

3) Hats.

4) Them being able to count up to 3? I just want more of the same really, since I love all of their games so much.

Seriously even if you're not a fan of their games, almost all of Valve (bar gabe) really do appreciate their fans, always giving them free/discounted content that you really don't see in any other of the money grabbing games companies (Again though - Hats)

When they brought out Half Life (1). That game is still the best singe player FPS ever made. Its incredible. It had some spectacular moments which got by without tight scripting, the immersion was unrivaled, and just the straight up shooting was decent as well.

2) How did Valve stand out to you more than any other gaming company?

Well, Half Life was just so good. It was obvious they were something special. They continued to build on that with titles like Counter Strike, Team Fortress or Steam, which was a terrible service at launch.

3) Is there any flaws you have found in Valve or their games?

Lately the quality seems to be dropping, but it could just be me. They seemed to leave the more serious path and go after more "fun" projects like Portal, L4D and Team Fortress 2. Those games are great, but they arent spectacular like the Half Life games.

Other than that, the Source engine can be a downright buggy, glitchy crashy piece of shit, and while it runs well on weak rigs, its got little to offer for anyone with a quad core.

4) What do you hope to see in future Valve games?

New IPs or another Half Life. Until now each Half Life has always had something that was revolutionary at the time, so part of me is hoping they wait until the next console gen to do Half Life 3. Gives them more breathing space, more power, you get the idea. And other than Half Life? Well, personally, I got fed up of games like Portal and L4D around 2 years ago, so yeah. New projects please.

Note: if the OP has not played the first Half Life he needs to slap himself, close this thread and catch up right now. Just saying :P

1) I got interested when I played HL2 EP2, I had no idea what the hell was going on, so after 10 minutes I stopped and played HL2. From start to finish I was hooked, and then I played Portal, and then HL 1 and all it's expansions. It was just one good game after another.

2)Valve really stood out to me with Portal, it came off as a very off beat game, the humour was out of this world, and it just sort of seemed like a risk almost. But they didn't sink a whole lot of money into it, but being younger and more oblivious at the time, it was just pure awesome. They're also the company that really introduced me to how important writing is in a video game. SH2 slammed the point home with me.

3)Yes, they do have flaws. L4D was the first time I got bored with their games, whereas HL2 has held my attention for close to 4 playthroughs. But it clearly wasn't my cup of tea (RE filling my love for zombies), and that was ok, I'm not going to love EVERYTHING they make, but then L4D2 came out, and I was really waiting for HL2 EP3, not the sequel to a game which hardly impressed me. but that's just me.

4)First, HL2 Ep3 or just plain HL3, Valve needs to pop a 3 onto the end of one of their titles at some point. Then I will be much more open to an original title, because in the back of my head, I'm still thinking, "where the hell is my HL3?"

squeekenator:

maddawg IAJI:

I'm not sure DotA 2 really counts. Icefrog made the game, Valve are just throwing money at him (well, that's not quite what's going on, but close enough).

Ya, and Icefrog is a Valve Employee now. Ergo, Valve is producing and developing Dota 2.
Wouldn't you say that, because employees of Bioware developed Mass Effect 3, that Bioware developed Mass Effect 3?

1. 2006 I bought HL2. My first pc game purchase. The minute the game started I knew this game was different than any other games I've played. From than on when I had heard of Valve news I was curious of what they would do next.

2. Many reasons here. They don't release games until it's done. They will bleed money for a game. A big thing about what they do is that they understand the medium. They are not going to tack on storytelling devices that you see from movies and books. They tell it knowing how a game works. And they understand atmosphere, pacing and quality.

And another high point is that they don't need high quality graphics to win over people. They do so much with so little assets.

3. I like that they spend time to make quality games, but sometimes it's too much time. Or, maybe the size of the game they tackle is too much that they could work on smaller games. I don't mind smaller quality games.

4. It's a double edge sword for me in that I would like to see them branch off more. But, I don't want them to lose what they have build off of. Though I hope to see them do more games with adventure to them. We're losing a lot of that.

Around the time they decided to make their games mac-compatible. (I'm a die-hard mac user because my macbook pro is the only computer I've ever owned that didn't explode in a hail of viruses after two years.)

They own Steam, which is probably the only form of DRM I'll ever accept, for the sole reason that they understand that one has to balance the restrictions of such a system with benefits (Cloud saves, easy access to patches and mods, etc. A lot of which Origin really needs to start copying if it wants to win.)

Their games are pretty much flawless. They just take their sweet-ass time making them, which frustrates me.

EPISODE 3 DAMMIT. I'm going into withdrawals! Also, more Portal if possible.

I voted against Bioware, because ME3 sucks and at least Valve hasn't let me down in a similar fashion ever.

Caramel Frappe:
Now I won't lie- this relates to the March Mayhem's Final Round of 2012 with Valve vs Bioware. When seeing the results that Valve was winning by a land side, I questioned some people for their reasons as to why they picked Valve. Even though personally I find it very silly if people vote for Valve mainly because of Steam.. a store, I have nothing against people voting for them otherwise like Portal 2 for example.

But this thread isn't about Valve fans being wrong, or why I dislike the,- no no, I like Valve actually and those supporting Valve have a right to do so. The problem is that I don't know much about Valve since sadly I never gotten really into their games like I did with Bethesda's. So this thread overall is about.. well, you! I want your feedback as to why Valve means a lot to you, why you love it, and so forth. If you're unsure how to post your feelings on Valve, I shall make questions to guide you in answering if you guys have the time:

Anything else, feel free to add. You don't even have to answer all these questions- they're just there to help you out if you feel like posting in this thread. See, I think personally that a lot of people get on Valve fans because Valve keeps getting in the final rounds and won two March Mayhem's I believe (if I am wrong, please correct me otherwise.)

Doing the mass effect 3 debacle, a large reason for hating Bioware was not the ending of Mass effect 3. But how they treated their fans poorly.

Valve always treats their fans awesomely. You can see it on how many people likes them, not just because of steam but because in general they seem very down-to-earth. People go to America to protest HL3 being delayed, Gabe Newell joins them then invites them for lunch. Thats the sort of stuff people like to hear, good PR. Bioware/EA lacks good PR.

As to answer your first question.. I've been with Valve for 12 years. Or rather, I've been a fan for 12 years, only actively following them since 2003/2004.

Back when I was 9 in 98 my Dad bought me Half life for Christmas. I loved it, it was awesome. A combination of nostalgia and them consistently releasing awesome games (seriously, portal 2 makes it into my top 5 games EVER) have kept them in high regard for me.

2) How did Valve stand out to you more thAn any other gaming company?

The previously mentioned nostalgia and consistency. Also, I know you said it shouldn't factor in, but steam is awesome. It has been my sole source of games for years and its constant sales mean I play loads of different games for wonderfully cheap prices. I'm not exactly loaded, so spending 30 on a game is a big decision, spending less than a fiver isn't. (which, hilariously, means I probably spend more on games in the long run anyway, I'm a sucker for deals.)

3) Are there any flaws you've found in Valve or their games?

Erm, I thought Half Life 2: episode 1 wasn't that great (but episode 2 is my favourite half life game). I also thought the lack of any weird weaponry (aside from the gravity gun, which rocked) a bit disappointing (no gauss gun, no weird ghostbuster-esque radiation beam gun, no bee-shooter). The portal series, however, is pretty much perfect.

Obligatory Half life episode 3 joke.

DoPo:
There was also one that I forget the name of, but it mixed up strategy with the shooting bit, and I mean planning and building bases (It was space marines vs aliens of some description)

You're thinking of Natural Selection. It's amazing. It's my favourite multiplayer game ever. There's a sequel coming out. Woot.

Regnes:

Portal may be first person, and you do shoot your portal gun, but it's hardly a first person shooter.

I am very confused... Bioware didn't get hate voted until the final round? Wow.

One main reason I think Valve stands above Bioware is that Gabe Newell - much like Notch - is just one of those nice human beings you hear about every so often, while I don't even know the CEO of Bioware's name. Plus, Bioware seems to be a controversy generator. To answer your questions:
1. Since 2 years ago, when I first got my hands on Portal.
2. They are able to chug out amazing game after amazing game, with unique designs on every one, and almost every aspect of every game they make is excellent.
3. Their delayed release dates on their star franchise, and their inability to complete trilogies.
4. Anything with the number 3 on it.

Caramel Frappe:

1: When I first played TF2 at a friends house I thought it was brilliant, although I didn't really know it was Valve until a while after. I just sort of gradually got more and more behind them as I went along.

2: They consistently released excellent games that I loved. I rarely bought any but I still thought they were great games that deserved attention.

3: Valve have a pretty erratic release schedule, one that is rarely ever keeping with any sort of schedule they might have drawn up. Even then that just means they're putting the time and effort into making sure their games are top notch.

4: The same sort of quality in all of their endeavours, I want them to continue to be passionate about making games.

Valve just always bring their best to the table when it comes down to it, their devotion to bringing out the best they can and their ability to always please a vast majority of players is something that deserves respect. The sort of work they do is rarely ever seen today, they're one of the best developers out there, if not the best.

Bobic:

DoPo:
There was also one that I forget the name of, but it mixed up strategy with the shooting bit, and I mean planning and building bases (It was space marines vs aliens of some description)

You're thinking of Natural Selection. It's amazing. It's my favourite multiplayer game ever. There's a sequel coming out. Woot.

Ah, thanks for that rminder. I loved the mod, it was awesome! It was just too long ago and I haven't played if for quite a while. I'm curious to see the new sequel.

1) Around mid 2009.

2) Because of Portal, Team Fortress, and Steam.

3) Some sections of their games tend to last longer than they should.

4) Generally, just them doing the same but better.

squeekenator:

maddawg IAJI:

Valve have a history of acquiring promising talent and concept and nurturing them. See; Counter-Strike, Team Fortess, Alien Swarm...and now Dota. Icefrog is now a Valve employee, they're not "throwing money" at him. They offered him a job and a chance to work on his project.

Oh and "Bioware" as a company doesn't exist, it's all EA with a Bioware stamp on it. Sure, they've kept much of the workforce, but EA is running the show and swinging the whips and such.

Caramel Frappe:

1) Around 2000-01, when I picked up a little game called Half-life Game of the Year edition from Woolies. Before that the FPS genre hadn't really interested me after a brief love affair with doom. In fact I bloody hated the FPS for killing off the point and click adventure like RTS's killed the 4X genre. But I kept hearing good things about it so I picked it up.

2) Well before Half life all FPS's where doom clones, the story was very much incidental nothing but a way to link together more corridors and key collecting. Half Life was different, the story was integral to the way the game progressed, I think the scene that really made me fall in love with that game was around the midpoint when you come across two soldiers with their backs to you chatting about how much of a dick Gordon is.

3) They have rather protracted development cycles and they forced you to have internet access to play HL2. Which I only had in the library and in the Uni computer room at the time. Also I can no longer play steam games offline at startup like I used to be able to do. Bit of a bugger when your internet goes down.

4) Half Life 2 ep.3 or just Half Life 3 in around 5 years.

I can answer all of those.

When I was involved in the oooooooold days of the first Steam beta

They didnt, it just made playing counter strike a lot easier

The list would be too big to fitas its mainly about steam, but I aint got the patience to type all that shit out.

Probably milking CS to death. But I would like to see more of the obscure indie/lesser known games on the store.

I'm not sure that poll was so much about valve being "good", as bioware being the "spawn of satan" right about now.

Origin, day 1 DLC, the mass effect ending debacle, SW:ToR's hideous bellyflop, thei're heavy handed concept of "consumer interaction"... it's hard to see past that and call Bioware a "good company", when Valve by contrast is at least consistently "alright" if not "amazing"

Back when Halflife was first released, before STEAM came along. It was a neat FPS that tried to gimme a good Sci-Fi story, and I loved that!

They were the first game company to make me download and use a shit program just to run their games.

See answer 2. STEAM was annoying as hell at first. Also, it would be nice if they still made full games for single players.

A $60 game worth playing would be nice. It has been so many years! Sure some multiplayer people love Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress, but I'm not among them. Gimme a full single player game please! Portal 2 was good, but lacked content. Good thing it sold 2 copies at launch. PS3 and a PC copy for my friend, so we paid $30 for the game, which is what it's worth.

I still have hopes for another good Halflife game.

TopazFusion:

Vault101:

What the ....? When was this?

They meant in it in the sense that even aa awesome single player game, like portal, will also have a co op option attached to it. By no means did they intend to scrap single player, just that it wont JUST be single player.

Without directly answering the questions, Valve has shown that they can and will constantly go above and beyond the call of duty (no pun intended) to support their fans. The Steam Store is just an extension of their philosophy, so it's easy to give them credit for that, even if it's not a game.

As far as their mistakes, they do a great job of making up for them. The whole L4D2 riot was really stupid on the whiny fans part, but Valve still did its best to make up for pissing them off. Eventually, sometime around when L4D2 was down to $5 on sale, all the content from L4D was added to L4D2. It sucks they made the older game completely obsolete, but no other company would do such a thing since it would mean cannibalizing the sales from the original.

I haven't been keeping up with March Mayhem this year on any level. But come on, Valve winning in Valve vs. Bioware made you think about Valve fans? Are you kidding me? After 2 BioWare shitstorms in a row, especially after Mass Effect 3, I'm surprised there are enough people to get it to the finals.

How about a thread asking people why they love a company who doesn't give a flying shit about them?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked