Valve Fans.. I Want To Understand You

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I'm a fan of Valve because I LIKE THEIR GAMES. Boom.

And that's not a selective liking as with Bioware (where I only ever really enjoyed KOTOR and Jade Empire, but those were great games), bar the fact that I've never played Ricochet I have clocked hundreds upon hundreds of joy-filled hours with Valve's games.

Half Life, Portal, Counter Strike, TF2, Left 4 Dead, Day of Defeat. These are brilliant titles, and for a guy with a pc that's only really capable of semi-old multiplayer games and old single-player games Steam is a dream come true (especially since Valve's titles fall largely into those categories).

And don't you think it's a bit insulting titling the damn thread as "wanting to understand you"? Sure, if you accidentally stumbled upon an online community that enjoyed meeting up with each other to vomit into each other's mouths that might be a little hard to "understand". But this is a fucking videogame company, that makes videogames, great videogames, so I'm guessing you only called it that (as silly a title as it was) so it wouldn't seem like another stupid, pointless Valve vs Bioware thread.

Caramel Frappe:
1) When did you become interested in Valve?

2) How did Valve stand out to you more then any other gaming company?

3) Is there any flaws you've found in Valve or their games?

4) What do you hope to see in future Valve games? (as in what are the future games going to be based off of?)

Hey Caramel, it's cool to see you outside of your KS thread! Anyway;

1. I became interested in Valve after playing Half-Life 2 for the first time in 2007, as a part of The Orange Box

2. Valve is particularly community oriented, and often listen to suggestions made by fans, and incorporate mods into finished games (Counter-Strike, for example). Outside of Mojang, they're perhaps the most community-focused gaming company I know of.

3. Yes, there are flaws, all games have flaws! However, the Half-Life series, Portal, and Team Fortress are significantly less flawed than most other series I've seen.

4. Episode 3, obviously. That being said, I also wouldn't mind an entirely new engine for Half-Lfie 3. The Source Engine is seriously showing its age at this point.

Pegghead:
Don't you think it's a bit insulting titling the damn thread as "wanting to understand you"?

Nope.

I think everyone would be a lot happier if most people would take the time to understand one another. Yes, Valve is a great videogame company but since I am not (or haven't) invested my time into their games like I do with Bethesda's games (Skyrim for example), I can't understand or picture why Valve is so amazing, if not perfect in most gamer's eyes.

So that is why I made this thread my friend. I actually learned a lot from the people who were kindly taking their time to answer my questions. And this relates to the time I made a thread called, "Atheists, I Want To Know More About You". It was a thread on what they believed in, how it applied to life, and their opinion on other specific questions. Everyone was fine with that, some even thanked me that a Christian wanted to understand Atheists because you know.. religion seems to clash with beliefs or the other way around.

In respect, no I really don't think this is offensive at all. I really couldn't name this thread anything else because in truth I really do want to understand the fans, be in their shoes when picturing the love for Valve. There's no way it can be offensive, since I am not judging nor being negative toward the Valve community. Besides, anything I could of done would not please everyone. If I named the title differently, it might of been fine with you but someone else may of taken it offensively to heart. Sad, but it happens in life.. you just can't please everyone even if it's for good intentions.

I'm too lazy to answer the specific questions, so I'll just say I've loved Valve since I first played Half-Life 1 way back when that came out. I think I still have the CD around here somewhere... After that I kind of forgot about them I admit, never got around to playing Half-Life 2 or CounterStrike, but when the Orange Box came out I got that and loved the hell out of Portal.

Kinda wierd, most people bought the Orange Box for Episode 2 and TF2, then got Portal as I prize. I heard so many great things about Portal, I bought it for that, and got HL2 and TF2 as a prize. I had played the original Team Fortress so I figured, what the hell I'll give the second a try and loved that as well as HL2. Not long after I got Left 4 Dead and that is probably the game I have played most on Steam. Every game I have ever played by Valve is totally awesome. Except CounterStrike, I didn't like that, but that was a mod, so it doesn't count.

Besides that, Steam is awesome, completely non-intrusive and quite generous, particularly with their sales. Though I will say that since the Mann Co. store and, later, the Portal 2 Robot Enrichment thing they've kind of gone downhill. TF2 is not a game that can support a free-to-play model, I'm sorry, it wasn't designed for that! Also they are EXTREMELY slow with their releases, but I can forgive them for that, because they're just so damn good. If Duke Nukem Forever had turned out as good as Half-Life 2 or Deus Ex, I'd have been fine with the development time, but it didn't, so whatever...

I will say I'm dissapointed in their future game lineup, CounterStrike: Global Offense doesn't interest me in the least. Though I did play a little DotA back in the day, I never got all that into it, so I couldn't really care less about DotA 2. And I'm not going to bother mentioning HL2:Ep3, at least announce it guys! We don't need anything else, just give us a logo and say it's coming eventually!

I will say, Valve's got it's quirks, but overall, they're probably my favorite developer. Everything they make is just so damn awesome. Any one of those games would make me love their developer, the fact that they were all made by the same guys just makes me love them that much more.

not too much longer after the Orange Box came out. mainly cause I wanted to try portal, really enjoyed it, and saw i had 4 other games to try, and so i tried them, and really enjoyed them too.

their interaction with their fan base. Every game Valve does now has a commentary mode where the guys at valve talk about the game, give info, fun comments and explinations for why they did various things. Also, Gabe (valve CEO) has a constant open line to the community by giving his email address out freely and does reply back. other companies, gotta go through customer support ect...

Also, Valve's support for start up/ indie developers by helping them out with Steam. I have tried more indie games that i probably otherwise would never have heard from because steam will put them right up there next to big games like Skyrim on the front page. (not to mention that they have let some developers host their games on steam servers at no charge, just to help them out) and these are all just a few examples, i could go on.

I'm sure there are, not everything they've done has been met with open arms, rainbows and bunnies. fans were outraged when l4d2 came out so quickly after the first one, and not to mention the amounts of fans saying where is the next Half Life game? but i would say in this case the good things coming from valve heavily outweighs the bad.

4) What do you hope to see in future Valve games? (as in what are the future games going to be based off of?)
I'm really interested and excited to see where valve goes. Valve has the time, the financial means, loyal fan base, as well as no higher pressure from parent companies, so they are able to really play around and see what works, what doesn't and how to really push technology of gaming further. They are in a great position that few other companies are in because of how risky and costly its become to make a big name game.

Forgot to add, another reason I like Valve is because of Gabe Newell. That man epitomizes just about everything right about the gaming industry.

For example, in an interview with Developer Magazine, he said this:
"In general, our approach to our customers is, every day, to ask what we can do for them."

That alone speaks volumes.

Also, to anyone annoyed at the delay of, or lack of info on, Half-Life 3, Erik Kain over at Forbes wrote a rather enlightening article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/02/04/have-patience-with-valve-the-next-half-life-will-be-amazing/

The reason that I adore Valve is pretty simple, I love every single game that they have produced.

They also are the ones who made my favourite most played game Counter Strike: Source

Caramel Frappe:

Assassin Xaero:

First off, I find this funny since you are obviously a huge BioWare fan.

Truth be told, I am actually a huge Bethesda fan lol. It's just I really adore Tali, she's probably the only reason why I loved the Mass Effect series so much. Everything else from Bioware is alright to me, but almost every game Bethesda made- I can't get enough. Still playing Skyrim and haven't completed everything from the day it came out @_@

You mean... I was wrong? But... but... this is the internet, I can't be wrong! It just doesn't work like that! Uhh... umm... *runs away*

edit

When I first played the demo for Half-Life 2. It was 2007 and was sort of "behind the curve" at the time since I mostly still played Ps2. I loved the demo and when I played the full game it changed my perception of videogames, mostly with it's presentation. It still stands as my favourite shooter today

Unlike a lot of their competitors, they actually seem to know what they're doing on the PC, in terms of Gameplay and Business decisions. Also, Steam has made PC gaming a MUCH more viable option for me.

Someone already said they should make something other than shooters... Well, I wouldn't consider Portal a shooter, but I would like them to step away from the first person perspective and try something new. DOTA 2 isn't really my kind of game so that won't fix the problem for me.

They need a new engine. I'm sure they know that

Zachary Amaranth:

Vault101:

to be fair Valve is definetly the PIXAR of the videogame world...saints compared the monster of EA

LOL. They're more like Wal-Mart: Millions of apologists who will praise them even while crying about EA doing the same thing.

It's amazing what a little propaganda will do for a company's reputation. Valve's DRM is okay, but Origin;s DRM, which does the same thing (check the internet for validation) is TEH DEBUL!

buisnes practices aside...I was mostly refering to the general style of their games (I mean portal even looks like it could have been made by PIXAR) the fact that they arnt under preasure from big ol evil publishers to do crapy things and have a loyal fanbase and good will

I mean Im not a steam lover by any means (like i said..love/hate) but extra credits even did a peice comparing valve to PIXAR (somthing to do with their production cycle)..so yeah I think the decription still fits

1. I became interested in Valve once I played Half life... so long ago, no idea when but long time ago for sure.

2. Yes, to put it simple they have 3 games in my top 10 and have very few games in the first place

3. Steam's ban policy is bollocks they make to few games

4. Anything to be honest. Like i say one of the problems is a lack of games, Half Life 3 woul be nice and I did get dome DOtA2 beta in as well as watch the first ever DotA2 championship looks fantastic, feels fantastic .

Assassin Xaero:
As a side note, I don't get BioWare fans. I forced myself to suffer through played Dragon Age and a bit of Mass Effect, and their games are horrible. Dragon Age's combat was less engaging than Minesweeper, the characters were all bland and boring. The story wasn't much better, either. But, their games are obviously not for me, which is probably why I can't stand them. Why I don't get BioWare fans though is because some (probably a lot) of them seem to be such fucking babies. Oh, the game had a bad ending? Honestly, I can't think of really any game that had a really good and satisfying ending (maybe Crisis Core, but that was more sad than anything). Quit crying about it and move on.

Dragon Age: Origins was the only Bioware game I have enjoyed since KotOR. And even KotOR was outdone by its incomplete sequel, in my eyes. I like Bioware, I enjoy their games, but I don't think they've really done anything especially great. If ME had gone off without a hitch, it would have been ace, but since the whole ending controversy happened, that series is marred regardless. Even so, to each their own. I'm not one to judge why people should or shouldn't like something.

Towards your "satisfying ending" quip, I believe Far Cry 2 Catherine L.A. Noire Metal Gear Solid 4 was the last game with an ending I came out purely satisfied with. That was 4 years ago since it was released, or at least approaching 4 years.

Four years.

I agree with you completely on the ending controversy. So they lied about the ending. What a shame. Don't buy their next game if you're so up and butthurt about it. Bethesda lied shittons about Oblivion's gameplay, and nobody lined up to protest a re-do. Everybody was orgasmic about it instead.

hermes200:

Caramel Frappe:

1) Although they where always around, I am not a PC gamer, so I became interested after The Orange Box.

2) Because you can see they are really smart, and like to treat their users as if they were really smart too. Their games are always super polished and they are known for taking creative decisions against marketing tactics (making the protagonist of Portal a woman and Team Fortress 2 an animated FPS are two examples that come to mind).

3) Yes, several. I think Portal 1 is too short, and Half-Life too long (and it also has some serious pacing issues)...

4) I am among other people that wish to see an Episode 3 or a Half-Life 3 game. Possibly a tie-in with the Portal universe.

I don't think its fair to label portal as that because it was never intended as a full price release (to the point of being part of a four game pack lol) If it was released at the AAA price point that would be valid, but technically it was released at a quarter of that, which seems worth it to me.

Caramel Frappe:

As it's early o'clock I'll just be lazy and do numbered replies instead of articulating myself in a more expansive manner;

1) Half Life, Xmas 1998. What an amazing game and the multiplayer really sat well with me too.

2) I wouldn't necessarily say they're the ultimate company but they're one of the best in the gaming world. The games are always quality and Steam is a great tool/product.

3) There's not enough Valve games and/or they don't "do" the number three.

4) Left 4 Dead 3 is overdue, I'd like to see that as it's been three years since the release of L4D2. I'd rather wait for a full Half Life 3 with a massively updated version of source that will blow us away. I have patience. HL2 Episode 3 could be a filler but I can see why they'll just go straight to a full third game. As for new IPs, I'll just leave that to them - Valve know their shizzle and I trust their judgement.

Caramel Frappe:
-Snip-

Fair enough, but I honestly had the impression beforehand that this was going to be something like "I want to understand how anyone could be STUPID enough to enjoy such STUPID games"...maybe I just worry too much about that sort of thing.

But yeah, my answer's in my post, and at the end of the day for anything like this we don't consider ourselves fans of their work because we get paid every time we play, we enjoy it because they're just good games.

Caramel Frappe:

1)when i bought the Orange box, it was Portal that sealed the deal

2) the story, and the writing, i found Portal very unnerving, being alone all the time, the writing was the only thing that made me keep going

3) Chell and Gordon Freeman are very boring protagonists, they never speak, i don't like it when protagonists never speak, it makes them seem like slaves to the voices they hear over the radio. the onyl time it worked was with Jack in Bioshock

[spoilers] and he really WAS a slave to the voice on his radio [/spoilers]

4) Half Life 3, no, not Half Life 2 episode 3, a full, freaking, game. i didn't wait years for an episode that is only a few hours long. other than that, i expect alot more physics based games, and maybe a third Portal game.

on another note, your Avatar is AWESOME!

on a third note, i would have voted Bioware in the poll, if they hadn't sold their soul to EA

well ive gained more enjoyment from tf2 then any other game this year so..... they got my vote

Whats to understand? People give credit to valve for steam, thats it. As a developer they are truly unimpressive. The predominantly buy out tech teams instead of actual internal development. What little development that has gone on has been in refining source engine. So basically people worship Steam like it is their benevolent gaming benefactor and Valve is like the Mother Mary that begot steam unto the world.

Hail Valve full of Grace, the Gabe is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst gamers and blessed is the fruit of thy sales.

Amen!

................./eyeroll.

Had a hiatus from computer games for about 6-7 years. First game I purchased since the days of the N64 was The Orange Box. Half-Life 2 was the best thing I'd ever seen. I put it down to my absence - all games were as good. But after buying others soon found out that a game that was 3/4 years old was possibly the best game around. First time I'd heard of Valve was when the dude's valved head showed up on the load screen. HL2 is now 8 years old, and I've not seen a single player FPS to rival it.

Attention to detail. It's simple, but that's all it is. Half-Life 2 had a good story, fluid, intuitive controls, a good understanding of building tension and when to release it. This, in my opinion, is the key to writing good books and creating good films; far too many studios try to let fancy graphics do all the work. Compare Jaws with Deep Blue Sea for example and you'll see what I mean about tension. In games I refer to Ravenholme and the final battle in HL2ep2. Waiting for that lift in Ravenholme or in the underground car park, or trying to destroy the striders with the Magnussons - I've never been so engrossed in anything. I cared about the people in the game and the fate of the game world. The tension aspect is evident in the AI Director whose presence is ubiquitous throughout L4D - the first time I played a finale on L4D it was just intense.

Even the games without a strong storyline such as L4D show a real attention to detail. Touches like the graffiti on the walls or the dead survivors lying covered up throughout the game drop in little bits of the story without you really realising (see also Portal). I never get tired of watching the opening sequence to L4D. It seems they could teach Hollywood a few things about building tension. The likes of RE don't even come close in building that tension.

I usually play my single player games through on the hardest setting first time round, and the only one that has offered a similar game experience imo is the first Bioshock.

When I think about the best titles I've played in the last few years, they all have some quite serious problems, but are good despite those problems. Bethesda's New Vegas and Skyrim are riddled with bugs. GTAIV managed to turn a franchise originally obsessed with Hedonistic free will into a game that was dull in far too many places - I'd often find myself sitting in traffic to complete missions - that's not fun. The dull moments simply don't exist in the Valve series, they're so well paced.

Just more of the same. Keep pushing the boundaries and innovating and I'll keep buying the games. I just hope the company doesn't go under or get absorbed by something evil because their marketing isn't as good as their game design or something stupid.

Vault101:

Caramel Frappe:
snip.)

so its valve vs Bioware?..agian? (I missed out on the fun this year because of my ME3 induced Hiatus)

no surpise valve would be winning..since Bioware are satans pawn right now..aparently

to be fair Valve is definetly the PIXAR of the videogame world...saints compared the monster of EA

that said my relationship with valve is love/hate

steam....ooohhhh boy...steam..

I used to have a 6gb download cap, which made trying to work around steam a nightmare at times (By left 4 dead and its got 2.5 gigs worth of update i have to download) forced updating didnt work well for that

like the day I got fallout new vegas..so excited...but by then I had run out of internet..It needed to download like 20mb (or 100)...I raged so hard

also there was that random quote of "no more true single player in the future" which got me all annoyed

I have to ask, is that the dog from footrot (forgive the spelling) flats combined with Garrus? Secondly, does the make you an Australian or New Zealander?

Zachary Amaranth:

Vault101:

LOL. They're more like Wal-Mart: Millions of apologists who will praise them even while crying about EA doing the same thing.

It's amazing what a little propaganda will do for a company's reputation. Valve's DRM is okay, but Origin;s DRM, which does the same thing (check the internet for validation) is TEH DEBUL!

Wait are you trolling? Have you just ignored the threads about EA banning people who got falsely quoted, or ranting on Bioware's forums, or modding their games, or having another account that uses the same computer get banned and then every single account connected to that computer getting banned? And then when you get banned its not just on the forum, you are locked out of playing every single game you own through Origin (I'm sorry, "leasing").

When has Valve done this? Offer up some evidence of Valve pulling any of this shit and I'll go right along with hating Valve and Steam too.

You're the one making the statement, so please back it up with evidence, and no people don't hate Origin solely for the DRM.

I opened my account in 2007. Prior to this I held quite the hatred for this so-called Steam service and it's funny online ways. Since my first transaction I've changed my views quite a bit.

I wanted Audiosurf REALLY bad and at the time Steam was the only way to get it in any legitimate way.
I also look forward to their deals, I recently picked up Deus Ex: Human Revolution for $7.36 cents due to a 66% off sale and a 33% off coupon I had from the Holiday sale.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the ending to Half-Life 2, I really would have much rather been given a gun and put a bullet in Breen' head personally. Other than this the only other actual Valve game I've played is Portal and it remains one of my favorite games of all time.

I want to shoot Breen in the head, I would play Half-Life 3 or whatever just to shoot him in his dickhead face and have it be canon, because I'm sure that there's mods that let you do it already, I want it to be part of the official story.

Caramel Frappe:
When seeing the results that Valve was winning by a land side, I questioned some people for their reasons as to why they picked Valve. Even though personally I find it very silly if people vote for Valve mainly because of Steam.. a store, I have nothing against people voting for them otherwise like Portal 2 for example.

I think a massive majority are going to be voting for Valve due to Steam. After all its a contest about developers, not specifically the games that devs had made and ignoring everything else they have done. Steam after all is one of the biggest things for the gaming indutry in a while. It completely changed the way we think about buying games and has been incredibly successful. On top of that they have Half Life, Counterstrike and Portal. I know is meant to be the developer for a year, but past impression always come into it.

You're mostly looking at them as a game developer rather than the entire developer, which many many people are.

Half Life 1. A friend had picked it up and we played it together on his cobbled-together kitbash desktop computer. It was a hell of a thing.

Atmosphere. It's hard to put it into words, but I don't think a lot of companies 'get' atmosphere like Valve does, and how to integrate it into their games. Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 2 would probably be the best examples I can think of aside from. Look at how much of Portal is told purely by colors, by the starkness of the test chambers, by those first tiny breaks in the calm facade. Consider, for all its gameplay flaws, Half Life's Xen areas, how intensely alien and jarring the experience was, and the sudden feeling of being stripped of what had until then been comfortable understandable surroundings. What they do, they do damn well.

Unlike most, I don't fault them for Valve Time, at least not as the primary flaw; rather, it's a symptom of what is also their biggest strength. Over-ambition. Gabe & Co. strike me as the sort who, if they made Molyneux-style promises, would basically refuse to go to print until they tried for all they were worth to see those promises through. Case in point, Episode 3/Half Life 3. They want a game that can live up to the legacy and the delay. To say that would be difficult at this point would be like saying the ocean is sorta wet. If they promise the moon and stars, their next meeting won't be how to scale back expectations, it'll be outlining how to start their own space program. That means good games, but often brutally long development times.

I would love to see Valve tackle the open-world sandbox genre. I really think going wide-range a la Bethesda's Fallout & Elder Scroll games would be a perfect for their ability while also serving as an experiment in how they would do outside the controlled range. They enjoy being able to tell a very controlled story, but it's clear from their games that they can think WAY outside the box in terms of area designs and problem solving options. To see that displayed on a massive stage would be awesome.

And from the non-game side, I'd love to see more expansion of Steam. I admit, I'm a fanboy of the service. More games, more services, and more cool interconnected bits like the Workshop and the awesome fun that was the holiday sale blitzkrieg.

You have thousands of posts, you can't seem to compute that valve got voted higher in march madness, judging from your deluge of posts in the official thread, and now you continue to post essay length responses that fail to accomplish stating much of anything that I find relevant or important in any way. Plus, your avatar is kind of annoying. I'm sorry OP, but I just plain don't like you. You should attempt to do something that matters instead of hanging around a forum so much.

Caramel Frappe:

I got Portal for free whenever they made Steam available on Mac, and I've been hooked ever since. Er well, actually I got Portal, played it and loved it, but then I didn't make any other purchases for a while. Then I got into G-Mod videos and the Meet the Team videos for TF2, which got me to buy TF2. Then after I got through Portal 2, I was interested in Black Mesa (and again G-mod videos got me thinking) so I ended up with the Half-Life suite. Now all I need to do is play L4D and L4D2.

The impeccable quality of their games and the little details they tweak to make the experience as smooth as possible very much sticks out to me. They definitely stand out as the gamer's gamemaker. They don't just talk the talk when it comes to customer service, they actually deliver. All you have to do is play their games to see that.

Though the quality is very much appreciated, they have a hard time sticking to schedules, which is extremely frustrating as a customer.

A bit more regularity in release schedules. I rather like their idea of episodic gaming they had all those years ago with HL2 Episodes 1 and 2, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside. But if not more frequent games, then at least a bit of certainty in their release schedule. Right now we know basically nothing about their future release schedule, even for the relatively near future, which is really rather odd when you look at other developers. So, yeah. Clarity of release schedules and what the hell they're even working on would be nice.

I more or less consider Valve to be the Pixar of the games industry. They are innovative and consumer-centered. Everything they do in their games is to improve the experience of the end-user. And not only that, I just love their sense of humor. They are big, but they still have a lot of heart, which is definitely something when you start looking at the latest escapades of other developers/publishers (that means you, EA).

grimgor42:
You have thousands of posts, you can't seem to compute that valve got voted higher in march madness, judging from your deluge of posts in the official thread, and now you continue to post essay length responses that fail to accomplish stating much of anything that I find relevant or important in any way. Plus, your avatar is kind of annoying. I'm sorry OP, but I just plain don't like you. You should attempt to do something that matters instead of hanging around a forum so much.

Alrighty then.

It's fine if you don't like me- or if you find my posts to be meaningless.
But you're always free to debate with me anyhow even if you disagree with what I stand for okay? :}

mrhappy1489:
snip

I have to ask, is that the dog from footrot (forgive the spelling) flats combined with Garrus? Secondly, does the make you an Australian or New Zealander?[/quote]

yes...that is "Garrus-dog"

and I am Australian (though when I was a kid I thourght footrot flats was Australian)

Caramel Frappe:

About 4 years ago. Saw some Left 4 Dead footage then decided to pick up the Orange Box for the cost of dirt.

What stood out of me is the quality assessment. The games are playtested until even someone who only has basic motor skills can play and get a firm grasp at what to do. And all the big releases (Half-Life, Portal, TF e.t.c...) are usually bug and glitch free, there's a few, granted, but still, they're usually quite rare.

The release schedule is well, rather inconsistent.

This one's hard as Valve cover a large percentage of the spectrum on settings and styles, but if pressed, I'd say it'd be good to seem them mess with Psychological Horror.

Because Valve are gods of game developement an you should bow to their will, mortal!
Seriously though, I think what really sets Valve apart is their ability to actually design games. They know that they are designing an interactive experience and they account for that in how they make the game. They make clever use of level design to attract the players attention to certain places. They craft puzzles that aren't too hard but can still be a challenge. The writing, while generally sparse is really solid. They are willing to try and support new ideas and concepts. Their actual technical ability is extremely good (the Source engine is 8 years old and its still performs really well).

Probably the most important point is that they haven't actually made a bad game. I can think back to every Valve game I've ever played (which is most of them) and every last one of them is in the "really damn good" category. It's clear that a lot of time, effort and thought goes into everything they make.

When I first got a PS3. The Orange Box was insanely cheap, so I picked it up. I fell in love with Team Fortress 2 and have been a strong supporter of Valve since.

They CARE about their fans. They listen. Just look at TF2. It's 6+ years old and it STILL recieves weekly updates, adding new fan-made items, patching bugs, fixing balancing issues, etc.
You get the feeling that they truly CARE about what they do, unlike, say, Activision or Infinity Ward.
Their games are full of unique style and charm. Left 4 Dead? It could easily be a mindless FPS with zombies. But Valve made it so that teamwork and strategy play major roles in the game. THe survivors? They could have all been nameless soldiers. But Valve gave them all unique personalities and backstories. Valve just goes that extra mile, and it SHOWS.

Whenever they update, a bug fix is usually needed. This can be said of any company really, and Valve usually has everything patched up within a day or two of the update.
There's also Valve Time and their seeming inablility to count to 3.

Who knows?
Honestly, Valve are all over the place.
I doubt we'll be seeing a sequel to TF2.
Half-Life 3 is always on the horizon, but who knows when that'll come out?
I think another Portal game is likely, but not anytime soon.
Same for L4D.
Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be great.

EDIT: I actually recall thinking that Valve may try a sci-fi game.
When Half Life came out, FPSes were huge.
When TF2 came out, online FPSes were huge.
When Left 4 Dead came out, FPS horror/zombie games were huge.
Now, we have games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Killzone, and the like, I wouldn't be suprised if Valve chose Sci-Fi as the next genre to flip on its head and completely dominate.

BanthaFodder:
1) , I wouldn't be suprised if Valve chose Sci-Fi as the next genre to flip on its head and completely dominate.

uhhh...WHAT?

what genre would you put Portal and Half life into?...hmmm...let me think

oh right..SCI FI

tell me..how are they not sci fi?

NiPah:

When has Valve done this? Offer up some evidence of Valve pulling any of this shit and I'll go right along with hating Valve and Steam too.

So you didn't actually read what I said, went directly into Steam defense mode, and kinda proved my point. Irony is kinda funny sometimes.

Zachary Amaranth:

NiPah:

So you didn't actually read what I said, went directly into Steam defense mode, and kinda proved my point. Irony is kinda funny sometimes.

That was taken out of context, I told you the reasons that people hate Origin, and ended by saying that Origin's DRM is not the sole reason for the hatred. There are multiple reasons people hate Origin, if you pick one of their lessor evils and make a statement "see Valve does the same exact thing" you're just ignoring the larger picture.

And you do make a good point, people mainly hate Origin because of EA, that doesn't mean there aren't additional valid reasons to hate them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked