Youth Culture: Gamers. (Read if you are aged 12 to 23!)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello,

My name is Tessa Steur and I study Pedagogy. For my current assignment I have been given the compelling and thrilling task to investigate into a youth culture.
Me and my project members are researching gamer behavior, so for example how much time you spend on a game and the emotions that play a role in this. Now I, as a gamer myself, know that there are a lot of prejudices about gamers. But I do hope you find the time to answer my survey truthfully so we can spread a little love for all gamers out there because we are not that bad.

So if you are between the ages of 12 tot 23 you can click the link and fill in the survey.
The questions are made from multiple choice and open questions which you can decide to answer with yes, no or maybe or give a little more information. That is your choice. We would love to hear more input from people and we do not judge anyone from the information we are presented with.

The survey is completely anonymous, the information that we gather from this survey will be kept in a class of 20 students and a teacher.

Link to survey: www.thesistools.com/web/?id=260252

I hope you do consider taking the survey, it does not take long and it will help us with our research!
If you have any questions regarding the matters of the survey or research you are free to private message me here.

Tessa Steur

I dont know if this is allowed (forum rules and such)

but hey..Ive some time to kill

done.
I think the questions are a little leading though.

You would probably do better to write the list down in your post and let people fill it out on the Forums.

I filled out your survey, though.

Hi!

Yes the questions are leading, but sadly my teacher was really narrowminded in the setting up of questions. We were really forced upon these types of questions, sadly. (Our other groups were not content with their youth cultures questions as well and they have other groups like hiphoppers etc.) That's why I said to answer as honest as possible so we can get the prejudice out of gaming! :) And since I'm not really a forum gal I don't check as often and this program brings the survey straight to my mailbox/account and since I'm rather busy with other schoolwork and assignments it's a pro! (It also uses an SPSS file which I have to give to my teacher as a result and rather than wasting an hour or two putting all the results together, this program does that for me! ;) but thanks for the tip)
But thanks a lot for filling it in!

Also, about the forum rules, if they do not wish this set up on the forum here, then may it be so.I thought off-topic was a bit more sensible for this matter. :)

Age discrimination.

I demand a survey for us old bastards .. er .. "mature" folks, yes, thats what I meant.

Rawne1980:
Age discrimination.

I demand a survey for us old bastards .. er .. "mature" folks, yes, thats what I meant.

Haha! Sadly my study is focused on adolescents ;) If 23 years wasn't that far away from you, you can take the survey as well. Pretend you are 23 again :)

Vault101:
I dont know if this is allowed (forum rules and such)

I say its cool, this is research, and we here at The Escapist would never impede science.

I'd take part but I'm 30, so I'll do what I did as a teen when wanting to see an 18 film at the Cinema and lie about my age. Hopefully it helps your studies, unless your course professor is masquerading as an Escapist user right now, which while possible, is improbable.

MonsterTess:

Also, about the forum rules, if they do not wish this set up on the forum here, then may it be so.I thought off-topic was a bit more sensible for this matter. :)

Your cool, just don't spam the forums please.

If you need any help with this site, feel free to ask myself (i'm a mod here) or any of the users actually, they are a friendly helpful bunch.

MonsterTess:

Rawne1980:
Age discrimination.

Haha! Sadly my study is focused on adolescents ;) If 23 years wasn't that far away from you, you can take the survey as well. Pretend you are 23 again :)

Filled it out and I'm 24, wanna fight about it? :P

That last question really annoyed me for some reason. Hopefully my answer wasn't too hostile... :/

Antitonic:

I'll fight, its time for my 4 oclock fight,
*gets out white glove and slaps antitonic* have at you good sir, I demand satisfaction.

Antitonic:

That last question really annoyed me for some reason. Hopefully my answer wasn't too hostile... :/

I've only just filled it out and I've forgotten the last question, was it "have you ever felt bad about your gaming?"
Well since the question made you angry then the answer would be yes, yes you have felt bad about your gaming, your immediately hostile reaction is typical of having your feelings questioned... next you'll feel denial, and then possibly self loathing at the realisation you have felt bad about something as frivolous as gaming.

I hope that helps Antitonic!

MonsterTess:

Haha! Sadly my study is focused on adolescents ;) If 23 years wasn't that far away from you, you can take the survey as well.

Sadly i'm way ahead of being 23.

In fact, being 23 was that long ago I can barely remember it.

DigitalSushi:

Antitonic:

I'll fight, its time for my 4 oclock fight,
*gets out white glove and slaps antitonic* have at you good sir, I demand satisfaction.

I unconditionally surrender. :P

DigitalSushi:

Antitonic:

I've only just filled it out and I've forgotten the last question, was it "have you ever felt bad about your gaming?"
Well since the question made you angry then the answer would be yes, yes you have felt bad about your gaming, your immediately hostile reaction is typical of having your feelings questioned... next you'll feel denial, and then possibly self loathing at the realisation you have felt bad about something as frivolous as gaming.

My initial reaction was "No, of course not." followed by "Wait, why should I? Why should anyone?". I feel that if you enjoy something, and it isn't harmful to yourself of others, there's no real reason you should feel bad about it. There could be imposed reasons (like an Amish kid enjoying a strip club), but normally if it feels good (and doesn't hurt others) then why not?

DigitalSushi:

Kind of. Yay!

I completed the survey, but a few of the questions were kind of hard to follow thanks to grammatical errors (things like subject/verb disagreement, not pedantic stuff like comma placement.) I understand that English is probably not your first language, but it might help in the future to get a native speaker to go over your survey questions; there's a couple that really had me scratching my head as to what you were actually asking.

And all filled out, If I took that survey a few years ago the answers would have been completely different since I gamed a whole lot. Ever since I've started Uni my gaming time has gone down so I could study and it looks like it's going to keep decreasing but it doesn't bother me.

Owyn_Merrilin:
I completed the survey, but a few of the questions were kind of hard to follow thanks to grammatical errors (things like subject/verb disagreement, not pedantic stuff like comma placement.) I understand that English is probably not your first language, but it might help in the future to get a native speaker to go over your survey questions; there's a couple that really had me scratching my head as to what you were actually asking.

Sorry for that, the questions were translated by me, but I have a lot of other things going on with other school work, so I'm really a chipmunk at the moment! ;)
Usually I really slap myself around for that sort of stuff, but to translate the questions we had from Dutch to English is really hard, some of the essence gets lost and I think this is why my questions can be a bit mind boggling. I'll look into it now for future survey takers and try to make the questions more grammatically correct! Thanks for the tip!

P.S. I do not want anyone to feel angry or saddened by the questions. We do not judge and if you do not feel comfortable answering the questions just put a simple N/A there! We don't want to pressure people into doing something they don't want to do.

A big thanks once again, this really helps!

Is it strange that I need to do the math each time to figure out how old I am?

Apparently I'm 24. Good to know.

Antitonic:

Don't worry! I get where you are coming from. This questions is not meant to be hostile, we're actually doing our best to debunk all the prejudices that are circling around the gamer community. (Me rooting for it more than my fellow project members). Happy gaming! :)

MonsterTess:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Sorry for that, the questions were translated by me, but I have a lot of other things going on with other school work, so I'm really a chipmunk at the moment! ;)
Usually I really slap myself around for that sort of stuff, but to translate the questions we had from Dutch to English is really hard, some of the essence gets lost and I think this is why my questions can be a bit mind boggling. I'll look into it now for future survey takers and try to make the questions more grammatically correct! Thanks for the tip!

P.S. I do not want anyone to feel angry or saddened by the questions. We do not judge and if you do not feel comfortable answering the questions just put a simple N/A there! We don't want to pressure people into doing something they don't want to do.

A big thanks once again, this really helps!

It's cool; I understand not having enough time to go over something like that with a fine tooth comb. Also, I didn't find the questions to be particularly hostile; you may be getting a lot more answers of "no" than "yes," but considering what you hope the data shows, that would be a good thing, not a bad thing.

Pretty interesting survey, actually.

Hope it all goes well :)

Thanks! (I've really made a record now for myself of posting seven times on a forum!)
So far the results that I've seen are very informative, I've hit near 50 surveys filled in now.
I really want to thank you guys for doing this! I did not expect such a great turn out for this :)
I generally avoid fora but I think I'll visit the Escapist more often, seeing how friendly and helpful the people are here!

Done and done.

Veel geluk met je onderzoek. :)

So tempted to look at the questions... but I don't want to throw off your numbers. I'm old enough that I was a gamer when 8-bit consoles were a new thing.

I think the survey is very leading - either it was written by a non-gamer who thinks gamers are all childish and completely addicted to our games, or by a gamer who themselves has lost friends / jobs / had fights caused by a lack of control over their own habit.

Done. Good luck with the results of your survey.

I've also forwarded the link of it to some other folk I know that don't really come to the Escapist. Hopefully it helps.

ToxicOranges:
I think the survey is very leading - either it was written by a non-gamer who thinks gamers are all childish and completely addicted to our games, or by a gamer who themselves has lost friends / jobs / had fights caused by a lack of control over their own habit.

The OP did say that the teacher overseeing the project is pretty foredeeming towards gamers

ToxicOranges:

Hiya!

Like I said somewhere earlier, we had a teacher who was very narrow minded. The questions are very leading, as a gamer myself I know this is not the reality of things. Other groups from my class are faced with the same difficulties, but they have to work with the prejudices of hiphoppers and gothics.
I'm an avid gamer myself, I really enjoy spending my time playing a good game, so I get where you are coming from with the questions. Sadly, because our teacher would not approve our research if we do not use these questions, we decided to beat the odds, so we can hopefully shine a good light on the gaming community!
I hope you can understand, I don't mean to hurt anyone or shine a negative light on a community! :)

I'll just say this, your test seemed to focus on the social shut in with the amount of questions like "Did you ever skip school to game" just seems crazy to me.

MonsterTess:

ToxicOranges:

Hiya!

Like I said somewhere earlier, we had a teacher who was very narrow minded. The questions are very leading, as a gamer myself I know this is not the reality of things. Other groups from my class are faced with the same difficulties, but they have to work with the prejudices of hiphoppers and gothics.
I'm an avid gamer myself, I really enjoy spending my time playing a good game, so I get where you are coming from with the questions. Sadly, because our teacher would not approve our research if we do not use these questions, we decided to beat the odds, so we can hopefully shine a good light on the gaming community!
I hope you can understand, I don't mean to hurt anyone or shine a negative light on a community! :)

Thank you for clarifying on this. I was almost curious if you were working with Fox News on some crazy headline article about how gaming KILLS KIDS SOCIAL LIVES!

MonsterTess:

ToxicOranges:

Hiya!

Ahh! I did not realise the quiz wasn't written entirely by you! My apologies for the earlier aggression. I have filled in the survey; hopefully it goes someway towards convincing your teacher that gamers are not all basement dwelling savages with no lives, or at least to some degree!
Good luck with the analysis! :)

DigitalSushi:

Armchair psychologist? There are multiple reasons to become hostile in such a situation, I for one felt patronized by the entire survey, the questions seemed leading and seem to only want negative results. Even though it appears Antitonic agrees with you, I just want to say that what you've explained is definitely not the only explanation of why someone would become upset about these questions.

Aprilgold:
I'll just say this, your test seemed to focus on the social shut in with the amount of questions like "Did you ever skip school to game" just seems crazy to me.

Hi!

The questions are based on categories that we will use for our research. We have categories like; attraction, tolerance, emotions and conflicts. These are generally known categories that can be seen in a youth culture. Since these types of cultures are teens and adolescents finding themselves in society and experimenting with what they like. (I can give you a lot of more info on this but that would really bore you, haha!)
The questions are really focused on those aspects, and from what I have seen we have been given some very useful answers!

Shotgun Guy:

I for one felt patronized by the entire survey, the questions seemed leading and seem to only want negative results.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you know that I don't mean anything negative by this survey! I explained earlier about my teacher. We're really delving into the prejudices of youth cultures and it irks me out big time as well. But we're rooting for a very positive research result!
Thanks for filling it in!

MonsterTess:

Shotgun Guy:

I for one felt patronized by the entire survey, the questions seemed leading and seem to only want negative results.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you know that I don't mean anything negative by this survey! I explained earlier about my teacher. We're really delving into the prejudices of youth cultures and it irks me out big time as well. But we're rooting for a very positive research result!
Thanks for filling it in!

It's fine, I wasn't personally mad at you, I think you'll find most people aren't going to give negative results, possibly negative attitudes.

MonsterTess:
I generally avoid fora but I think I'll visit the Escapist more often, seeing how friendly and helpful the people are here!

Yeah, that soon wears off haha

Donesies, I can see where people are coming from, the questions have a "not gamer friendly" tone to them.

Still if this survey acts like a dog in command & conquer and removes the fog of war around gaming, I am happy to help.

To Shotgun Guy:
I'm not going to post anything personal that I've just seen on the topic here, but I can tell you people are being really honest! Even about negative things, which is really nice to see as well. :)

To all:
Anyway, since I will not be active on the fora anymore this evening; if you have any questions regarding the survey feel free to private message me if you want anything answered. I'll answer them as soon as possible!

Shotgun Guy:

DigitalSushi:

Armchair psychologist? There are multiple reasons to become hostile in such a situation, I for one felt patronized by the entire survey, the questions seemed leading and seem to only want negative results. Even though it appears Antitonic agrees with you, I just want to say that what you've explained is definitely not the only explanation of why someone would become upset about these questions.

Firstly, MonsterTess actually states that the questions were written by her teacher, so if they are leading its because that teacher wanted to yield a "certain result". I'm not going to berate MonsterTess for trying hard for coursework. You haven't mentioned it but others have with regards to grammar, she's in the Netherlands btwactually.

I never said that my explanation was "right", I was merely making light of the situation, if you look really hard, you'll notice that my comment to Antitonic was actually based on a Simpson's quote. So no I'm not an armchair psychologist, just some dude quoting stuff for fun internet conversations... which makes me sound like a moron since I have no original thoughts

:(

Alot of it applied to me as a child but not so much now since I have grown up alot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked