Will it ever be socially acceptable for men to wear make-up

Make-up can be used to make anybody seem more attractive, regardless of gender. All male celebrities already use it, before filming. Why then is there a social taboo preventing men from using it? Do you think the taboo will ever fade away?

Don't men wear makeup in some other cultures already?

if you're a clown it is always socially acceptable to wear make-up

I don't see why not. Like you said, movie stars wear them on shoots, singers wear it (KISS, GWAR, Ozzy.)

If you mean full on eye shadow and lipstick, probably not for a long time. If you mean things like that skin color powder stuff, Compound? (Yeah I'm a real makeup expert) than probably. Small steps before giant leaps after all.

A lot of male entertainers wear make-up, and in some cultures it is already acceptable for men to wear make-up. I assume you mean in whatever culture you're living in?? And I'd say yes, in most western cultures it will be very normal for men to wear make-up soon.

x-machina:
Why then is there a social taboo preventing men from using it?

Because its GAY. What are you, some kinda faggot or something?

Seriously though, I hope not. Socially acceptable seems to be equal to social standard these days, and if us boys and men have to start putting on make up everyday, its time for me to bounce and move to the bible belt. I really, really, really do not feel like wearing make up.

Men can already pull off certain types of makeup (unless his eyes are just naturally that dark around.) Though that opens up a whole new social stigma against people allegedly trying to look "emo" or "goth" or "punk". Screw that. I wanna wear eyeliner too!

In general, women naturally have lighter faces than men of the same ethnicity, and research suggests that this is an important sexual cue. Same goes for the shape of the lips. Although makeup for men will continue to be more accepted, I'm just presenting these as some natural reasons why it is more popularly used by women.

Also this reminds me of the lengths they had to go to make some of the has-been actors from this recent American Pie reunion movie look presentable:

Men used to wear makeup in the past, these things have a way of coming around again. I don't think most of us will be around to see it in any widespread way though.

Never!!! The only make-up a man is allowed is the blood of his enemies!
*ahem*
I mean sure, these things tend to happen in cycles. I'm sure as hell ain't gonna wear it.

Well i would like to try camo someday. Camo is a form of makeup right?

If dystopian films tell us anything...get your lipstick boys.

Ugh, i hope not.

Some types of make-up, like lipstick, won't ever be really suitable for men- because i just can't see how it makes a guy better looking. Why do guy's want to show off their lips? I think other types of makeup, like the stuff they give male actors or news readers or politicians before appearing on TV, may spread into wider use but i don't see myself ever using it- i'm too lazy tbf.

I hate makeup and wish women would wear less of it. As little as possible, preferably none.

More importantly, when will it be socially acceptable for women not to wear makeup for the majority of the time? There's no pressing need for it.

dear god i hope not, i dont want to spend anywhere near the amount of time, effort or money most girls put into make up and i dont see the need for it at all

Esotera:
More importantly, when will it be socially acceptable for women not to wear makeup for the majority of the time? There's no pressing need for it.

It already is, but men seem far more aware of that than women.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked