So Escapist, who inspires you?

Forums are too depressing now adays. I say we have a good discussion about who inspires us to lighten the tone. Who makes you strive to do something amazing? Who says the things that give you perspective. Who makes you feel like you have purpose.

I have to go with Carl Sagan. He has to be one of my favourite people.

That and Steven Fry. Proof that people can be celebrities for being witty, intelligent and cultured along side those who are for being amusing idiots. He is a good example of an intelligent voice of reason on television, QI is one of my favourite TV shows and its the most fun i have ever had learning about things.

So how about you escapist? What do you find inspirational?

My cat. I'm going to do everything in my power to eventually be able to live exactly like she does.

I'm a pretty big fan of Deadmau5 as I think his life is pretty amazing and how he got there. Dudes just a big ol tech nerd that met a rock star like Tommy Lee and took off from there. He makes the music he wants to make (electronic for your people that don't know) and doesn't give a crap what people think of it.

Shit sells like hot cakes and while nobody can totally not let fame go to their head, he stays true to his career and hasn't blown all his money on drugs and alcohol like most.

He keeps in touch with his fans on a personal level and runs his own facebook and twitter account and doesn't let management spit out bullshit merchandise ads and call it keeping in touch with fans.

He streams his music making process via webcams for the whole world to see and gives his true opinion on things no matter how much bad rep it'll get him.

While yes, dude can be a huge ass sometimes but I just have so much respect for his career and what he does. But take everything I say with a grain of salt because this is like 90% fanboyism and most people hate him as a person with a passion :P

Richard Carlson. He may have passed away but his book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...and it's all small stuff," is brilliant and is changing my life for the better.

Nobody inspires me. I don't need inspiration.

DugMachine:
I'm a pretty big fan of Deadmau5 as I think his life is pretty amazing and how he got there. Dudes just a big ol tech nerd that met a rock star like Tommy Lee and took off from there. He makes the music he wants to make (electronic for your people that don't know) and doesn't give a crap what people think of it.

Shit sells like hot cakes and while nobody can totally not let fame go to their head, he stays true to his career and hasn't blown all his money on drugs and alcohol like most.

He keeps in touch with his fans on a personal level and runs his own facebook and twitter account and doesn't let management spit out bullshit merchandise ads and call it keeping in touch with fans.

He streams his music making process via webcams for the whole world to see and gives his true opinion on things no matter how much bad rep it'll get him.

While yes, dude can be a huge ass sometimes but I just have so much respect for his career and what he does. But take everything I say with a grain of salt because this is like 90% fanboyism and most people hate him as a person with a passion :P

I dont hate him as a person, I just dislike his music. Which is also why I have no interest in knowing in how he is as a person.

OT: Im gonna say AtheneWins just to keep it gaming related. Hot girlfriend? Check. Good at games? Check. Trolled the fuck out of the WoW, COD, Starcraft and LoL community? Check. Lives at his moms house? Check.

(No, of course he doesnt really inspire me. But he was a God-tier troll in his day.)

I'm going to have to go with my Dad...he's managed to hold down two highly intensive jobs, help set up the first clinic for chronic fatigue in our region, run a business, and renovate a house, all whilst taking care of a family. There's no way I could balance all that stuff.

My enzymology professor is also pretty damn good at explaining things, and quite friendly. And Guido Van Rossum, for making the Python programming language, which I use pretty much every day.

Yep, you beat me to it.
Carl Sagan is possibly one of the most inspirational people to ever live on this pale blue dot.
I also get a lot of inspiration from a few animators, such as John Lasseter. He pretty much raised Pixar from the ground, despite Walt Disney Studio's best efforts.

George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Russell Brand, Louis CK, Simon Amstell and Patton Oswalt.

I'm a comedian and the balls these guys have/had are a constant inspiration to always keep pushing. Pushing myself to not just fall into the trap of getting easy laughs and pushing the audience to appreciate more than just easy laughs.

Hicks and Brand in particular are both incredibly intelligent, self educated individuals.

Simon Amstell's stand up is so personal as well. The courage it takes to just stand in front of a crowd and air all your imperfections and insecurities. He really manages to bring his comedy to a point where it can be as intelligent, moving and thought provoking as any play or poem while still being hilarious.

Lionel Messi is at the top of my list just because he is my favorite athlete. He had a growth hormone deficiency and was deemed too small to play professionally initially, and now he is the greatest footballer on Earth and has won the Ballon D'Or (Player of the year award) 3 years in a row, which is a feat matched by only one other player since the award's creation in 1956. He has also shattered multiple records including most goals scored in a single Champions League game (5), and most career goals ever scored for his team, FC Barcelona. All this and the man is only 24 years old.

Elad "Katha" Naim is another one in terms of one of my passions which is video editing. This is guy is the only person who could ever possibly bring tears to my eyes with nothing but a, brace yourself, Call of Duty video. His editing is sublime and absolutely incredible in all aspects.

As much as people may hate this game, just watch the video for the editing and the flow of it. It's incredible.

Milton Glaser is another big inspiration of mine since he is one of the pioneers of modern graphic design and created many things which are common place in that field such as the "I <3 NY" logo and he articulates himself extremely well. I use his work as an example for my own.

Michelle Sagara-West (author). Not only is she charming and witty, but her ability to express herself is both adorable and awe-inspiring. Plus her blog entries on raising her autistic son (he's 18 now) are just. . .they make me wish she was my mom, and that I'll be as understanding and compassionate as she is capable of being, rather than carry forward the insecurities from my own mother's parenting (she's a loving person, it's just. . .). Is that horrible?

Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche inspires me because he wasn't afraid to question society and social structure, and why people are so passive in regards to who they choose to base their ideals around. Nietzsche isn't the most popular, historical figure though, as certain, ignorant individuals believe his work to be "pre-Nazi" or that he himself was the pre-cursor to Nazi ideology, etc, which isn't the case, as certain Nazi's completely misinterpreted Nietzsche's 'The Will To Power'. Nietzsche's philosophies are quite depressing though, however, I'm still quite inspired by him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influence_and_reception_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche#Nietzsche_and_fascism
In case any one was interested, it's a good place to start.

Sami Hyypiä in football before I got injured.
My dad and mom are maybe not that big inspirations but I admire them.
wow... this question was a lot harder to answer than I thought.
I'll be back when I figure something out.

Stephen fry and james randi to a lesser extent

You do. For making this thread. I knew you had it in you.

DugMachine:
I'snip

I think I saw a quote that on reddit (regarding collaboration) where he essentially said he wouldnt want some idiot rapping/sining over his music about drugs/money/hoes or anything "club" related should it ruin the song...or somthing

which I TOTALLY agree and respect the guy that much for

as for me...I dont know..Ive never relaly been inspired by induviduals..more by Ideas and such

Lots of things.

Music is a big inspiration for me. I listen to good music with meaningful words and I suddenly want to write.

But I can also find inspiration from books, comics, movies, paintings. Hell I formed an entire story idea from staring at a ibuprofen gel cap while sitting in my car waiting for some fast food to be delivered.

But probably the biggest thing that inspires me is my best friend. She and I have been friends for close to ten years now, we roleplay alot and write stories back and forth for each and she draws and paints our characters. We're even trying to get into the webcomic business together.

a guy named jaime got kicked out of home when i was 14 and he slowly made me the man i am makes me want to strive to be more he also taught my to keep persvering as he kicked my ass at video games all the time so when i finally won it was worth it

Well right now I'd have to go with Warren Ellis. He never went to university and his writing kicks mine in the balls.
But that's just at this point in time.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson a.k.a. "We got a badass here" guy.

I don't think any person in general inspires me.

It's mostly things like good music, movies, comics, and video games that charge up my inspiration gauge.

BiscuitTrouser:
Forums are too depressing now adays. I say we have a good discussion about who inspires us to lighten the tone. Who makes you strive to do something amazing? Who says the things that give you perspective. Who makes you feel like you have purpose.

if things are going well in life hopefully my partner & family (kinda :P).

there's way to much negativity about relationships around in casual conversation and its almost never really offset against an equal hand being played representing the good stuff.

it seems, for whatever reason, bad things are far more socially comfortable to discuss than good.

so its worth pausing more than now and again to remember the good times and give yourself some much needed "perspective" imo.

I don't really have any role models, but the closest people I have as inspiration are J.K. Rowling, my sister and cats.

J.K. Rowling, because I, a budding writer, wish to be as successful. My sister, because she's been helping me through problems I'm having at the moment and she's done really well for herself. Cats, because why wouldn't you be content with a life of "eat, sleep, fart"?

Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, roughly in that order.

Oh, did you mean personally? Then Isaac Asimov and Mark Twain.

Well I love the English language, and it's what I'm studying in university, so I'll go with Shakespeare. Love his works, and he was masterful in his use of language.

Greg Graffin, singer in Bad Religion AND a Ph.D. in evolutionary biology. Really good thoughtworthy lyrics, and d-beat and science. Awesome stuff.

Dave Grohl inspires also me. He is a amazing drummer, and a great guitarist too.

And Carl Sagan, as the OP pointed out. Cosmos really gave me a lot to think about when I first saw it.

And a bunch of other awesome people, but I'm tired. Good night.

My heros:

Inspiration, you say? Well, I wouldn't know anything about tha-CHARLIE MOTHERFUCKIN' CHAPLIN!!

You are now inspired.

The Rock, without a doubt.

My Inspirations are unusual, but I have my reasons.

Winona Ryder
Audrey Hepburn
Laura Marling
Conor Oberst - Bright Eyes
Marcus Mumford - Mumford & Sons
Adam Brody
Carey Mulligan
Daryl Palumbo - Glassjaw
Will Pugh - Cartel
The band "The Used"
My Aunt Laurie :)

These people have shaped who I have become today.

Unfortunately as an introvert I have never been inspired by anyone but myself... A lot of people have done stuff I am impressed with, but due to being an introvert, I have never drawn direct inspiration from it... :/ I just don't know how it feels! I draw my energy to do well from inside!

There's this homeless guy I used to see on a busy street in a blue suit who tried to kick moving cars.

That guy has guts.

Gotta be Guthrie.

Dude's one of the most versatile players of his generation, with absolutely mental chops and incredible phrasing. Listening to Erotic Cakes or the Aristocrats makes me pick up a guitar every time just because of how inspirational the guy is. And he's humble and hilarious too, in response to being told that guitar greats were calling him the best guitarist in the world he replied, "That's good, I paid them handsomely to say that."

As I have on my Facebook's inspirational people section which allows fictional people, Barney Stinson and Darth Sidious, and maybe Gaius Baltar.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here