Mega Millions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, here in the United States right now, the Mega Millions lottery jackpot is at an all-time high - $640 million. There's a bit of a craze over it - a lot of people at my work and friends on Facebook are talking about it, and many have bought tickets. I even caved and bought a couple tickets a while ago. And the drawing is tonight.

So, have any of you guys bought any tickets? Or have any interesting related stories to share? For instance, one of my sister's friends on FB that lives in another state said he saw a guy buy 150 tickets.

Or, you can share what you would do with the winnings.

Me, I would try to not go crazy. I would get all of my family out of debt, and buy them all a new house and/or car (and myself, natch). And then maybe I'd go back to school and then work as an artist like I've always dreamed.

Not a fan of lotteries.

Considering I've got more chance of being hit by a meteor.

That's on fire.

Also the meteor is made of diamonds...

Also, the meteor is electrified after passing through a storm...

Also, the meteor is the home of a sentient race of super badgers...

Also, the badgers are made of chocolate...

Daystar Clarion:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

I was under the impression that the meteor was also being pulled by super giant mutant unicorns with monocles, top hats and they too were on fire.

Gizmo:

Daystar Clarion:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

I was under the impression that the meteor was also being pulled by super giant mutant unicorns with monocles, top hats and they too were on fire.

Their union was on strike after the intergalactic super truffles reduced their radioactive mega dome, their wig wham off a woofing engine was compromised through theorhetical omniversal overdrive.

Daystar Clarion:

Gizmo:

Daystar Clarion:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

Their union was on strike after the intergalactic super truffles reduced their radioactive mega dome, their wig wham off a woofing engine was compromised through theorhetical omniversal overdrive.

Of course, I knew there must of been a reason. I'm sure in spirit they're participating in full force.

Captcha: Thunder Storm. This may of something to do with things as well.

Never bought a lottery ticket. I figure there's a reason some people refer to it as the "stupid tax."

Jedoro:
Never bought a lottery ticket. I figure there's a reason some people refer to it as the "stupid tax."

I wonder what people that have won think of this phrase?

I don't usually buy lottery tickets, but I think I'd make an exception to that if we had a jackpot that high

ThaBenMan:

Jedoro:

It's a bunch of poor people spending what little spare money they have in hopes of a miracle. One of those poor people wins it, the government takes about half of it in taxes, and the rest are now even poorer for nothing. Compared to everyone else who plays and loses, the opinion of a handful isn't worth much. Yay, your life's infinitely better, but now it's going to encourage people to hope it's their turn for a miracle, which leads to them getting shot down and being a bit poorer and more miserable than before.

ThaBenMan:

You should play, and find out. There's always a chance you'll win.

You won't, of course. But there's a chance!

You just know that some old already well off bastard is going to win it anyways so i don't see what all the fuss is about.

Jedoro:

ThaBenMan:

Jedoro:

It's a bunch of poor people spending what little spare money they have in hopes of a miracle. One of those poor people wins it, the government takes about half of it in taxes, and the rest are now even poorer for nothing. Compared to everyone else who plays and loses, the opinion of a handful isn't worth much. Yay, your life's infinitely better, but now it's going to encourage people to hope it's their turn for a miracle, which leads to them getting shot down and being a bit poorer and more miserable than before.

It is unfortunate when you look at it that way. The companies do urge everyone to "play responsibly", so if you really are spending all the money you have left on it, then that's no good. The way I look at it is, you can just spend a few bucks and have a bit of fun.

BloatedGuppy:

ThaBenMan:

I love how small the chances of winning are.

I mean, I'm statiscally more likely to trip over a briefcase with a couple of million in it, than actually winning it through a ticket.

ThaBenMan:

Jedoro:

ThaBenMan:

It is unfortunate when you look at it that way. The companies do urge everyone to "play responsibly", so if you really are spending all the money you have left on it, then that's no good. The way I look at it is, you can just spend a few bucks and have a bit of fun.

And it'd be nice if people did just do that, but the poorer you are, the better that jackpot looks, and the more willing you are to risk what little you have to win it.

Daystar Clarion:

BloatedGuppy:

ThaBenMan:

I love how small the chances of winning are.

I mean, I'm statiscally more likely to trip over a briefcase with a couple of million in it, than actually winning it through a ticket.

Citation needed, but only because I want to know my odds of becoming a millionaire by walking down the street.

I haven't bought any tickets but if I did and I won. With that kind of money I would do pranks like break into a family's house and cover all the walls in gold leaf, or fill their toaster with diamonds. Stuff like that.

I only buy a lottery ticket if the jackpot is 300 million +. It's fun to think "I have a chance" every now and again.

Jedoro:

The ironic thing about that is a good chunk of the money goes to education in the state.

640 mill?

yeah i got a ticket, i have no illusions of winning though, but can't win if you don't play

While the odds of winning the lottery are extremely small and generally a waste of money, I'll buy a ticket when the jackpot is obscenely large.

My mother mentioned she'd like to buy a ticket. I'm not sure she did though. Not much opportunity, perhaps.

I watched this show that's about lottery winners and what their lives are like now. During the commercial break, it gave us trivia.

Such as you have a higher chance of being attacked by a shark than you do winning the lottery.

Daystar Clarion:
Not a fan of lotteries.

That's on fire.

Also, the badgers are made of chocolate...

The chocolate badgers on their own are good enough for me. The rest is just icing on the meteor, as they say.

22 tickets this month. Not one matching number. Fuck the lottery. I'm robbing a bank.

I bought one $5 quick-pick ticket since this is supposed to be some kind of 'record' high where the Cal.Lottery is concerned. I had never purchased a lottery ticket before. I didn't expect to win, my quick pick numbers weren't even close. However, if there is no winner for the jackpot this evening, I just may go buy another one. It's only a couple of dollars, and I like the general attitude of other ticket-buyers.

People are always in a good mood and super stoked when they get their tickets. The atmosphere is so hopeful and positive, it's contagious. The most that happens with people around here when they don't win is some shrugging, some 'Oh Wells' and they all continue on until the next Jackpot. They know their odds, but it's just fun to be apart of something and pretty much have the same chance as everyone else. lol

Edit: As for what I would do with all that money, I know exactly what I would do. I would move somewhere green with my Husband, have a modest house (with my own office and library) on a large property, a large garden, a few chickens, a proper covered clothing line, I'd then open my own business (organics/botanicals, or something) and then shell out some dough to members of my family (not all of it, but a generous amount). I'd donate generously to my chosen charities every year, and live off of the rest. I'm a pretty simple person.

Everyone who buys a ticket for a big jackpot is an idiot.

Because EVERYONE ELSE IS BUYING ONE TOO.

Buy a ticket for the crappy little small jackpot after a big draw, where your odds (while still pathetically small) go up dramatically. And if you can't be happy with 5 or 10 million, you never will be.

I was wondering what the huge deal was about this.

personally I would pay off college, get a new car, maybe a house (id have enough even after taxes), then invest a good bit, fill my bank account, and after i went through most liekly not even 3 million yet I'd start donating I guess. holding that much cash makes you a good target.

I payed a dollar for a few hours of excitement and suspense. Did I win? Nope. Was the thrill of being a potential millionaire worth a dollar? I'd say so. At least you can compare how close you were with most anyone else, and strike up a fun little conversation.

The odds are something like 1 in 176,000,000. Statistically more likely to get struck by lightning, something my dad has experienced, and yet he's been playing the lottery for years with no jackpots under his belt.

Really, though, I'd almost be afraid to win that much money. There's a lot of desperate people out there, and your name and address are public records...

UPDATE: According to the Associated Press and a spokesperson for the Maryland Lotto Comission, A winning ticket was sold in Baltimore County.

The funny thing is, you have far less chance of winning thanks to the craze surrounding it. You'd be far better going for a "low" jackpot (around 10-30 mil). It's still a retarded amount of money, but you have tenfold the chance of striking rich. Still abysmal odds, though.

I was hearing a lot of things about it on Facebook tonight and I was honestly wondering what all the fuss was about. Now that I know, I kind of wish that I'd bought a ticket. I've never bought one before, but you know. You never know. I know the odds are ridiculously against me, but it's a risk, a gamble, and that's what it's all a bout. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks to say that I tried.

Apparently Canadians can play in this lottery. And some did make the drive across the border. But from where it says the wining ticket was sold no one from here did. Still the lucky person who won. I really hope you give back to your community, than flee into the night cause A LOT of people are hating your guts right now.

I'd spend a few dollars on the lottery if I had been in the states.

Jedoro:

Yes, clearly all people who play the lottery are morons.
Way to be an arrogant douche

I don't play, you are more likely to get a girl pregnant while she is on the pill and you are wearing a condom then winning. Those chances are so low its not really even fun.
Though if I did win something like that I would through a million at the Wasteland 2 dev team, find a good charity for a couple mill, pay off my student loans, buy a house and a car, and invest most of the rest.

fenrizz:
I'd spend a few dollars on the lottery if I had been in the states.

Jedoro:

Yes, clearly all people who play the lottery are morons.
Way to be an arrogant douche

If you buy because you think its fun than thats fine your paying for entertainment, but if you are buying because you think you have a chance then yeah your ether stupid or really bad at math. Acknowledging this does not make you a douche and you should settle down they made a joke everyone I know calls it a stupidity tax or a tax for people that are bad at math even the people who play.

madster11:

Buy a ticket for the crappy little small jackpot after a big draw, where your odds (while still pathetically small) go up dramatically. And if you can't be happy with 5 or 10 million, you never will be.

I don't think that is how that works. The only risk you have by waiting for the larger jackpots is having to split the pot, but half, or hell, even a tenth share is better than buying for the smaller lotteries.

CNN's news feed on facebook says the winning ticket was sold in Baltimore County...I assume and hope they're talking about Maryland because that's where my Gammy lives. I don't know if she got any tickets but if anyone could use the money it's her. I didn't buy any tickets personally though...I probably should have because hey, peer pressure. The thing is though, I thought about something while fantasizing about the mega millions...my family. I haven't seen a majority of Dad's side in years (being literal) and know if I won I would be getting all kinds of calls and, visits from my fair-weather family.

I'm just going to continue hoping Gam hit and doesn't know it yet because if she actually hit and she knew it we would have got a call by now.

madster11:

Personally I'd be more than happy with just 1mil (after taxes, etc.) :P

Put it on a savings account. Even with a crappy 2% interest, you still make a nifty 20k a year. :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked