So, It Seems We Have A Mouse (EEK!)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, it can now be confirmed that we have a mouse problem. One of the roomies saw one in the pantry. Before that, the other two saw one dart across the kitchen and we found a chip bag that had been torn open at the bottom. Every once and again, I can hear it now, scratching about at something or other (keeping the broom close by now). How can we go about getting rid of ol' Micky? I'd rather not use traps (messy), and bringing in a cat isn't an option (one of the roomies is allergic and doesn't like cats, and as of now, the landlord says no cats even though the other tenants have two cats and one loud ass dog) even though the rest of us want to have one.

Well, when I was in university, we found out we had a mouse. We discovered that it was burrowing into our cereal and rice, and we were finding little poops in places, and at night we could hear it scurrying in the walls. Being four highly intelligent, problem-solving university students, we decided the best way to go about things was to distract the mouse. If it was preoccupied with something else, we figured, it wouldn't eat our stuff. So we bought a huge flat of scones from Costco, and took the wrapping off, and put it in an empty cupboard, away from our stuff. Soon we had dozens and dozens of mice. It was like miceapalooza, 24/7.

Don't try that, by the way. It wasn't a very good plan.

There are mouse traps these days that don't kill you know. Bulkier and more expensive, but there.

you can get non lethal traps that are basically tubes with a bent in them and a door that falls down and the mouse can't back out and you then simply dump them outside somewhere.

and enterprising person could possibly make one as its a relatively simple design:

you put some food in the far end to entice them in btw

they like chocolate more than cheese

don't let them stare at you or you feel rotten and want to adopt them...

I found a scorpion in my house the other night. I'll take the mouse. I'd take pretty much any household pest over the scorpions.

I'd suggest something like this.
Set it with something sweet, cheese is over-rated :)
Hope you catch your little speedy Gonzales.

As some have said... a trap that closes the mouse in, be it alive or dead afterwards, tends to be the best way. If you poison the mouse, expect it to hide, die, and begin stinking the place up. Don't try hunting the mouse yourself, they're quick and can hide almost anywhere (I've only gotten like... 2... that way. Usually I wind up just wounding 'em, then face the same problem that poisoned mice pose). Nowadays I just leave it to the cat, but since that's not an option for you... cage traps are a good thing.
Also, peanut butter tends to be really good mouse bait.

Id just like to point out that the supposedly non lethal traps can still kill them. Mice can die from panic if they are trapped overnight.

As other people have stated, you should probably use non-lethal traps.

This sort of reminds me of one time I went to Home Depot and saw some sticky traps. For those who don't know, they catch whatever vermin steps on it and they stick there. Unable to move.

It seems pretty cruel to be honest. A mouse could potentially starve to death on there. :'(

Get a empty roll of toilet paper (the cardboard roll) and stick some peanut butter in one end. Balance it on the edge of a counter or table (close to where the mouse was seen) with the PB side over the edge. Then put a empty trash can below the toliet paper tube.

Caught 3 mice using this technique, good luck!

Well I have a cat but she is basically useless when she's in the house as I've had to catch a few mice since she was content to slap it a few times and then leave. The way I did it was I had a plastic bag and I would physically chase the mice around until I was able to grab them. But all the times the mice were very small mice so if the mouse is a good size or looks like it would bite you I wouldn't recommend my method.

bb gun, depending on the state you live in you might need a hunting license.
or you can make a live trap and keep it as a pet.

Get a trap, either one. I remember having to trap one by hand with a video case. Another one that got in got chased by the cats and ended up getting flattened against the skirting board by a vase. Had to peel the thing off by the tail.

Well there is rat posion but I wouldn't recommend it as you have to be careful not spreading it too much.

Do what I did, get a small plastic box with a lid and go to where to the area where the mouse visit the most. Leave a trail of bits of biscuits leading toward you as you bend/ kneel down with the box ready in hand. Keep competely still until the mouse is in the open and take the bait. Once the mouse is in position slam the box right into it and get the lid and carefully slide underneath to close it (the mouse will try to pop its head out). Once it is secure set it free.

Ok sure my is cost free but it will cost you your time or you better have alot of free time to pull this off.

Pretty much any trap out there can kill em, even the supposedly non lethal ones. A lot of mice just flip the fuck out and die because their heart goes into overdrive.

I have cats, lots and lots of cats.

I don't think there is a mouse within about a mile of our house.

The non lethal mouse traps are quite good, mice love peanut butter so use that as bait.

Owning 3 cats you wouldn't think I'd need mouse traps. Well my cats contribute more to my mouse problem than solve it, they go out, catch a live mouse and bring it into the house, usually meowing loudly to let me know. They then let live mouse go which scampers off and hides. I wake up in the morning to find all 3 cats patiently staking out the bookcase.

Of course cats being cats, they get bored/tired/hungry and give up leaving me to deal with the mouse problem.

Sleekit:
you can get non lethal traps that are basically tubes with a bent in them and a door that falls down and the mouse can't back out and you then simply dump them outside somewhere.

and enterprising person could possibly make one as its a relatively simple design:

you put some food in the far end to entice them in btw

they like chocolate more than cheese

You can make one of these yourself.

Get a cardboard box, a sock, some cheese and some good tape. Cut a hole in the box and cut the toes off the sock, then attach the sock going *in* to the box. Put the cheese in there too. If you ate it during the other steps, go get more.

Once the mice are inside, the sock obviously collapses behind them. They can't get out, but more can get in.

That's how I deal with them. Take them out to the countryside and let them go near a hedge. Easy for me, because I live in the countryside.

Pretend you thought it up yourself for bonus points.

soren7550:
So, it can now be confirmed that we have a mouse problem. One of the roomies saw one in the pantry. Before that, the other two saw one dart across the kitchen and we found a chip bag that had been torn open at the bottom. Every once and again, I can hear it now, scratching about at something or other (keeping the broom close by now). How can we go about getting rid of ol' Micky? I'd rather not use traps (messy), and bringing in a cat isn't an option (one of the roomies is allergic and doesn't like cats, and as of now, the landlord says no cats even though the other tenants have two cats and one loud ass dog) even though the rest of us want to have one.

Traps aren't messy, it's not like the mouse gets ripped open. To use traps you do need someone willing to carry the trap outside or to the trash and open it to get rid of the mouse. If that's not an option you could go with those one-use traps that close around the mouse sealing it inside a can-looking thing. I don't suggest poison, it's unpleasant to just find dead mice lying around, and you wouldn't want to accidentally poison the dogs or cats of the other tenants. If none of those appeal to you, you could always buy some thick plastic bins to keep your food in, it probably won't get rid of the mouse, but it will prevent the mouse from spoiling your food.

Peanut butter and a bucket near a ledge. They can't climb out but they love the stuff. Just hang it above the center where they'll think they can get it.

I was expecting a thread about someone who used a laptop who finally got a mouse. I am disappoint.

Dude. Mouse trap. Thing slams down on the mouse's head, kills them instantly. No mess, just a dead mouse carcass.

For the sake of humanity, I implore you NOT to use glue traps unless you are a sadistic bastard.

You can buy these glue traps which are flat trays about the size of a DVD package with a very sticky surface.

You just put one out in the kitchen, put some peanut butter in the center, the mouse'll get stuck and suffocate, and voilá.

I suggest leaving out huge piles of mixed grain and miniature GPS sensors that look and smell like grain. Once the mice eat them, you can track them to their homes, place cats outside, and wait.
A further bonus is that you'll then know exactly where the cats are at all times for the next week.

NUKE THE SITE FROM ORBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I vote for the humane trap, and note that Maltesers seem to be irresistible to mice.

Just be sure to take the little furball for a relatively long walk before letting it go, or it'll find its way back. Try quarter of a mile away, somewhere with dense undergrowth.

Snarky response: if the landlord won't let you get a cat, get a snake.

Cats are evil. Read the description of sociopathic personality disorder. It can be summarised as "cat." They're not welcome here. I'd rather have songbirds eating out of my hands than have someone's feral brute torture them slowly to death for its own amusement.

If you have one, you very possibly have many. It takes a patient man to catch and release time after time with the humane traps.

I recommend good ol' fashioned skull crushing mouse traps. Lay out a bowl of poison too, they take it back to wherever they're nested and eventually they die from it.

A mouse can't go very long without food at all, their core temperature drops and they die from that. Making sure your food is unreachable might just do the job. If all else fails you can do what I did and accidently step on 'em.

I've had a bunch of mice in my home for the past couple of weeks now, simply because the people I live with refuse to clean up their fucking garbage.

I swear, I would've moved the fuck out if I could afford it.

Anywho... Just get some mouse traps. Regular ones'll snap their necks like a twig.

Edible Avatar:
Get a empty roll of toilet paper (the cardboard roll) and stick some peanut butter in one end. Balance it on the edge of a counter or table (close to where the mouse was seen) with the PB side over the edge. Then put a empty trash can below the toliet paper tube.

Caught 3 mice using this technique, good luck!

I was going to suggest a generic 'live catch' trap, but that is a brilliant idea! Where did you hear about that method?

Casual Shinji:
You can buy these glue traps which are flat trays about the size of a DVD package with a very sticky surface.

You just put one out in the kitchen, put some peanut butter in the center, the mouse'll get stuck and suffocate, and voilá.

Dude those things are like a fucking SAW movie for mice unless you check then constantly, and even then you have to dish out the final blow. They will either chew off there own limbs in a desperate attempt to live or struggle till they break their own bones.

kill the fuckers if you want, but thats akin to outright torture. May as well throw it in a mini-iron bull.

There are different ways to handle a mouse/rat problem.

If you carefully lock away all the food in air-tight glass or hard plastic containers and make sure to keep everything clean, the mice will go hungry and will leave your house to go in search of food. When they find another source, they'll set up camp there. They'll forget all about your house and it's suddenly stingy hosts.

Or you can use 'cruelty-free' traps and release it later on when you find it. If it hasn't died from a mini-heart attack from sheer terror.

I don't suggest poison, because then the darn animal can die in the walls and it will stink. I assure you, it will smell absolutely awful and then you'll have to remove it somehow. Costs could be a little high on this one.

But whatever you do, please do not use glue traps. It's needlessly and ridiculously cruel and sad. I'd rather you use the snap-traps than glue-traps.

SaneAmongInsane:

Casual Shinji:

Dude those things are like a fucking SAW movie for mice unless you check then constantly, and even then you have to dish out the final blow. They will either chew off there own limbs in a desperate attempt to live or struggle till they break their own bones.

kill the fuckers if you want, but thats akin to outright torture. May as well throw it in a mini-iron bull.

I never used them myself. I only ever saw them being used on that exterminator show on the Discovery Channel.

And since the OP didn't want to use standard traps because of the mess, I thought this would make for a good alternative.

Lucem712:
I'd suggest something like this.
Set it with something sweet, cheese is over-rated :)
Hope you catch your little speedy Gonzales.

Peanut butter. Use peanut butter. Apparently they love peanut butter.

The best thing to do (if you don't want to kill them) is to just cut off their food supply. Put everything in airtight containers and such, they will move on.

BloatedGuppy:
Well, when I was in university, we found out we had a mouse. We discovered that it was burrowing into our cereal and rice, and we were finding little poops in places, and at night we could hear it scurrying in the walls. Being four highly intelligent, problem-solving university students, we decided the best way to go about things was to distract the mouse. If it was preoccupied with something else, we figured, it wouldn't eat our stuff. So we bought a huge flat of scones from Costco, and took the wrapping off, and put it in an empty cupboard, away from our stuff. Soon we had dozens and dozens of mice. It was like miceapalooza, 24/7.

Don't try that, by the way. It wasn't a very good plan.

But it sounds so good, how could it possibly fail?

Sleekit:

D'awww...

One of the roomies already named it. He calls it Pepperjack. -_-'

spartan231490:
Traps aren't messy, it's not like the mouse gets ripped open.

The boyfriend bought a kill trap that seems to imply otherwise.

Richardplex:
I was expecting a thread about someone who used a laptop who finally got a mouse. I am disappoint.

Sorry to disappoint.

SaneAmongInsane:
Dude. Mouse trap. Thing slams down on the mouse's head, kills them instantly. No mess, just a dead mouse carcass.

For the sake of humanity, I implore you NOT to use glue traps unless you are a sadistic bastard.

Casual Shinji:

I lol'ed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked