Shouldn't something be happening today?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

hi,

Shouldn't the internet be kind of 'disabled' today.

From my location everything is working just fine...

If Anonymous is going to take down the DNS servers, they'd most likely do it during peak hours. Otherwise the shock value is mostly gone. This is far from peak traffic time.

Anybody care to wager that they will fail at bringing down the internet?

Regnes:

Useless. That bet cant be lost. I could go into alot of technical detail as to why they wont succeed for long, if at all, but suffice to say, its as valid as the Rapture was. And im still waiting on that one to happen, its a couple months late now.

I have to admit, I'll be very impressed if they manage to make good on their threat. An attack of this scale is unprecedented, as far as I know. If they pull it off, even for just ten minutes, they'll be making history.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the effects of this potential petrol strike over here, and I don't even drive a car. This is how much faith I have that Anonymous can pull off this task.

Esotera:
To be honest, I'm more worried about the effects of this potential petrol strike over here, and I don't even drive a car. This is how much faith I have that Anonymous can pull off this task.

what you mean the strike which everyone agrees isn't going to happen.

Well like I said in the news post about it.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

I knew it wouldn't happen.

I can see an internet takedown hurting small businesses & MMOs, but not big business.

according to their twitter feed, they never planned to do this. They claim they were trolled on pastebin where the rumour first started, same place the take down facebook was announced?

James Landles:
according to their twitter feed, they never planned to do this. They claim they were trolled on pastebin where the rumour first started, same place the take down facebook was announced?

That's a very convenient thing to say if you've failed.

But then, Anonymous isn't exactly organized, anyone can call himself a part of Anonymous. That twitter could be one group of people, and the guys who want to take the internet down could be another group.

I don't get how anyone could believe that they could do it in the first place. How does one go about bringing down the internet in the first place?

Meanwhile back at the farm...

WTF is this shit all about? For shame escapist, advertising in the captcha?

x EvilErmine x:
I don't get how anyone could believe that they could do it in the first place. How does one go about bringing down the internet in the first place?

Meanwhile back at the farm...

WTF is this shit all about? for shame escapist, advertising in the captcha?

Wait until you see the Mass Effect 3 one which tells you to buy more DLC.

True enough, guess we will have to wait and see. Though I find it strange that they would announce beforehand their intentions? Surely that would give the admins concerned time to prevent it. Either they are (over?)confident in their abilities, or were indeed trolled?

Its still early isnt it? I mean, gamers and internet nerds dont do mornings.

Well, this one doesnt.

Yeah, I'm calling bs on this. I just don't think the can Pull off something this large scale.

Iron Criterion:

x EvilErmine x:

Your kidding right?....right?

Oh god when will it stop? Not to completely hijack this thread but does anyone else find that when they see adverts for a product everywhere it makes them less inclined to buy said product? Or is it only me?

Meh, I doubt their power.

What the whole internet is thinking:

x EvilErmine x:

WTF is this shit all about? for shame escapist, advertising in the captcha?

Yes, for shame they should look to advertising to get money.[Sarcasm]

Really? If you actually like surfing the Escapist site and using it, deal with the ads.

Something tells me that they switched to this type of captcha because they get paid a little bit for the ads shown in them.

Of course I don't see them since I pay for no ads. Deal with it, if you don't feel like paying for a membership.

I dunno about you guys, but the internet is definitely down for me.

x EvilErmine x:

Iron Criterion:

x EvilErmine x:

Your kidding right?....right?

Oh god when will it stop? Not to completely hijack this thread but does anyone else find that when they see adverts for a product everywhere it makes them less inclined to buy said product? Or is it only me?

Relax dude, I was just joking (though I could very well picture it). And I agree, no advert has ever been able to persuade me successfully (even if it is clever or humorous).

i highly doubt they will be able to pull it off although i am curious to see what the reaction would be to the net being effectivly gone for even 10 minutes would be

Yep, and really, who actually believed them? Like I said, they can't shut down the internet, then they'd have to go outside or something! XD

Sonic Doctor:
Really? If you actually like surfing the Escapist site and using it, deal with the ads.

Something tells me that they switched to this type of captcha because they get paid a little bit for the ads shown in them.

Of course I don't see them since I pay for no ads. Deal with it, if you don't feel like paying for a membership.

Of course, if the ads are so invasive, it'll make people tend away from the forums, less active forums, less traffic, less ad revenue. Not everyone has the money to burn to join the pub-club.

Sonic Doctor:

I've no problem with them using advertising else where on the site and good for you that you pay so you don't have to see them, well done.

What I was trying to get across is that I think it's quite cheep to change form the old cpatcha to this new one with adverts, at least with the old one we were actually doing some thing useful when we filled it in.

It is disabled. You just got so desperate for it that you have started hallucinating and think your on it now, this is actully an illusion, you are staring at a blank screen.

x EvilErmine x:

What I was trying to get across is that I think it's quite cheep to change form the old cpatcha to this new one with adverts, at least with the old one we were actually doing some thing useful when we filled it in.

eh..I found translating ancient protheian text rather tedious and in convinient

yeah..its 9:30 pm here..and nothing

bahumat42:

There's currently a half-mile queue to our nearest petrol station because everyone's panic buying. The strike might not happen but it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

smithy_2045:
I dunno about you guys, but the internet is definitely down for me.

I dunno, my internet went down for a very respectable minute.

Regnes:

Maybe they're just going for the big sites. Google, Youtube, Facebook. That kind of stuff.

I'm not going to give a crap, I'm about to go to work.

"Good luck", Anonymous! You keep "fighting the good fight", whatever the hell that fight even is...

Esotera:

bahumat42:

There's currently a half-mile queue to our nearest petrol station because everyone's panic buying. The strike might not happen but it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

oh yeah but its sorting itself out, ironically the tanker drivers are being paid overtime to fix this problem.

Evil government scheme to inflate their intake on paper worked, shameful really.

Substitute Troll:

James Landles:

That's a very convenient thing to say if you've failed.

But then, Anonymous isn't exactly organized, anyone can call himself a part of Anonymous. That twitter could be one group of people, and the guys who want to take the internet down could be another group.

To be honest, Anon is comparable to the various incarnations of IRA in Northern Ireland. Only, instead of terrorists molotov bombing streets, and shooting the occasional taxi driver, it's teenage script kiddies and thirty year old basement dwellers wearing sweat stained RSI gloves.

My point is every section of Anonymous is being all "no, don't listen to them! We're anon!" No, we're anon!" blah blah blah.

It's mildly amusing and infinitely pathetic.

The worst part is there's a lot of damage potential in the shit they pull. While I doubt they're capable of lasting damage (beyond vigilante life wrecking against individual people) they can do some stuff. And they tend to interfere with things internationally, which could potentially fuck up a tense negotiation stage in a situation they thought it clever to get their corrupting, grubby little paws on.

If the internet, and by extension these guys, had been around during the Cold War, we'd probably all be dead. But that's okay, because they're just dealing out 'justice'.

Daverson:
Yep, and really, who actually believed them? Like I said, they can't shut down the internet, then they'd have to go outside or something! XD

Sonic Doctor:

Of course, if the ads are so invasive, it'll make people tend away from the forums, less active forums, less traffic, less ad revenue. Not everyone has the money to burn to join the pub-club.

I haven't had to deal with any advertising I would consider invasive. Really, it's been basically the same as the old captcha system, but without being stone-walled by Arabic, Chinese, or the language of the duck people every other post. I'd say having to enter a captcha into the odd Pizza Hut themed box is a small price (if any, really) to pay for legibility. Plus there's been all that crap about the Escapist having some difficulty paying contributers (if we remember the Extra Creditz thing) so if this helps bring some stability, more power to them.

Vault101:

x EvilErmine x:

eh..I found translating ancient protheian text rather tedious and in convinient

yeah..its 9:30 pm here..and nothing

"...multiple projects are currently digitizing physical books that were written before the computer age. The book pages are being photographically scanned, and then transformed into text using "Optical Character Recognition" (OCR). The transformation into text is useful because scanning a book produces images, which are difficult to store on small devices, expensive to download, and cannot be searched. The problem is that OCR is not perfect.

reCAPTCHA improves the process of digitizing books by sending words that cannot be read by computers to the Web in the form of CAPTCHAs for humans to decipher."

source

Dunno where you got the idea that it was ancient protheian text from but the captcha the escapist used previously had a point to it other than stopping spam bots.

Regnes:

I will take that the internet as a whole will not be taken down TODAY.

x EvilErmine x:
snip.

I know what Capitcha is and why its there

I was just saying..I find the new thing they have a million times less tedious/convinet...even though..YES it is jsut hameless advertising

the "protheian text" thing was a joke (prothiens are a fictional race form Mass effect)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked