Worst trends in the video gaming community

What do you consider the worst trends that the community gets involved in? Such as meames, habits, behaviors, ideals, culture ect

The community as a whole's attitude towards women needs some serious reworking. I think people also need to be more welcoming to those just starting to become interested in gaming, rather than just shrugging them off or insulting them for not knowing as much as you think they should.

Boycotters can get a little irritating. People get so uptight over little things in their game (like a bad ending sequence) and feel like they have to start a large protest over it : \ Seems a little ridiculous to me.

The Megaman Legends3 crowd is a little annoying to : \ People are literally refusing to buy Capcom games (that they would normally love to play) because Capcom cancelled a couple of Megaman games. I was a little disappointed to hear the news about MML3, but why would I protest over a game? I've got other games to play.

This whole Mass effect thing is getting old fast (not saying there shouldn't be discussion but it's fucking everywhere)

The biggest thing for me is the treatment of new players in online games. If you aren't as good as someone who has been playing everyday for a year, people literally try to shame you for not being good at something right away and blame you for losing the game.

Colour-Scientist:
The community as a whole's attitude towards women needs some serious reworking. I think people also need to be more welcoming to those just starting to become interested in gaming, rather than just shrugging them off or insulting them for not knowing as much as you think they should.

I gotta go with this one.

All the other trends are annoying, but not nearly as serious as the sexism.

I mean, my name is Ashley, which is considered a girl's name in North America (for some strange reason), and the amount of sexist crap I get sent over XBL for beating some guy's arse in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is terrible.

It's so fucking patronising.

Colour-Scientist:

I'd second that. Also the homophobia and racism, though it appears (at least to me) that the sexism is more common.

Daystar Clarion:

Colour-Scientist:

I mean, my name is Ashley, which is considered a girl's name in North America (for some strange reason), and the amount of sexist crap I get sent over XBL for beating some guy's arse in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is terrible.

Some english names, even in Britain, have switched genders over the years. Hell, some have done so multiple times.

ravenshrike:

Daystar Clarion:

Colour-Scientist:

Some english names, even in Britain, have switched genders over the years. Hell, some have done so multiple times.

I'm aware that names will change.

I just find it funny to be the victim of sexism, when I'm not even the gender said sexism is aimed at :D

Honestly, I think the worst trend is giving established developers free passes based on what they've done in the past.

Game Freak is a good example, they've been a bunch of lazy little fuckers for the past 12 years, offering little to no improvement with each new release. They love taking that one smash hit they made 16 years ago and repackaging it with a fresh coat of translucent paint, and not only do people continue to buy their games, they have the audacity to lie to themselves that they're still playing good games. If another company tried packaging a game of the exact same quality and asking you to pay 40 dollars for it, you would laugh at them.

Ocarina of Time for the 3DS also got on my nerves a bit. I was very psyched for this game, a remake of OoT, really great decision by Nintendo. Then I actually played the game and it became clear to me what they did, they didn't remake it at all like they said, it was a straight up port. It featured improved graphics and absolutely nothing else, they didn't even redo the sound effects or music which by today's standards could have been much better, it was a very lazy production and it showed. But the reviews it got, and the praise fans gave it, it was mind boggling. Nintendo gave them an N64 port with clunky poorly aged gameplay and they loved it, Nintendo took a big fat shit all over their faces and they loved it.

Which is why I'm glad people are up in arms against Bioware. I haven't played any of their games, but if they gave their customers a handful of shit and think they can steer away from taking responsibility, then fuck them. Good developers make shitty games every now and then, and if you let them get away with it they will keep on doing it. You need to grab them and rub their faces in the shit stain they left on your carpet, "You see that developer, BAD, that's a bad developer, BAD!"

Daystar Clarion:

ravenshrike:

Daystar Clarion:

I just find it funny to be the victim of sexism, when I'm not even the gender said sexism is aimed at :D

Y'know, it would be awesome if in some sort of vampire movie/book(one with real vampires, not the sparklefest love shit) where the vampire has a now common girls name(Interestingly, there are very few names that originated with girls and migrated to boys), introduces himself, gets laughed at by EVERYBODY present, and then rips them all to pieces.

ravenshrike:

Daystar Clarion:

ravenshrike:

Y'know, it would be awesome if in some sort of vampire movie/book(one with real vampires, not the sparklefest love shit) where the vampire has a now common girls name(Interestingly, there are very few names that originated with girls and migrated to boys), introduces himself, gets laughed at by EVERYBODY present, and then rips them all to pieces.

Fortunately for me, Ashley will always be synonymous with awesomeness :D

Colour-Scientist:

This is definitely the big one. I have the same username on the PSN as here, and people who are unaware of the whole MLP thing think I'm a girl, and the amount of sexist messages I get sent when I win at things is ridiculous. Also, the person I play with the most is a girl, and she is forever having to abandon lobbies because people become aware there's a girl, and either insult her, proposition her, or start trying to add her as a friend without even finding out what she's like as a person.

"the cake is a lie" LOLOLOL!!!1
"JRPG's are bad because they all have pointy haired angsty emos with big swords and cliche plot"
"Skyrim is not an RPG because I say so"
"Portal is the only good game in decades"
"PC is great and anyone who uses console is a pathetic loser who uses outdated hardware and is slowing down the progress of gaming" HURR HURR!

Need I go on?

Colour-Scientist:

Yep. People can be idiots sometimes.

Draconian DRM and also EA in general
fanboys in general
PC master race
console master race
the fucking console wars (it was cute in the 90,s now it just makes you look like a complete idiot)
people still making arrow to the knee jokes (the people who still make those jokes should get a explosive bolt to the knee)

henritje:

people still making arrow to the knee jokes (the people who still make those jokes should get a explosive bolt to the knee)

And they don't even have the decency to make the joke correctly, because it's in the knee and not to the knee.

Colour-Scientist:

I think that's a problem with stupid people in general, not the gaming community.

How about the trend to complain about every single game that becomes popular? Gaming hipsters are out in full force

Colour-Scientist:

but there IS no problem..no problem whats so ever..I dont see what the deal is, I mean games are MENT for horny sex crazed hob-goblins so I dont see why we should change anything or you know.why dont we just would men in speedos then? that'll fix it? wont it?

*sigh*...no...it wont

next point, "trend" implys its somthing thats changed over time

Im not sure my following point has ever changed

OMG!!! A RUMOUR/SCREENSHOT i DONT LIKE..RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYHTING SUCKS!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I just wish people would calm down...especially in regards to rumours and speculation

oh and..a reveiw gives a slightly negative veiw of a game you like? (a game already praised to hell and back?)

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!!!

and...this is just a pet peeve of mine

"*snort* why yes my good man....I dont play modern games anymore, I subsist on my old games completly, as current games are all trash..*nahahahahaah*"

Regnes:

Which is why I'm glad people are up in arms against Bioware. I haven't played any of their games, but if they gave their customers a handful of shit and think they can steer away from taking responsibility, then fuck them. Good developers make shitty games every now and then, and if you let them get away with it they will keep on doing it. You need to grab them and rub their faces in the shit stain they left on your carpet, "You see that developer, BAD, that's a bad developer, BAD!"

how do you know their games have been bad if you havnt played any? your talking like theyve been churing out games that literally dont work...and eat your hard drive and call you names

even DA2 isnt that bad (I havnt played it eather...but I can accept the fact that it was probably rushed at least)

I havnt reached the ending of ME3 yet I'll probably hate it...but personally ME3 has been amazing...

also It seems to me Bioware is kind of special in the amount of love/vile undiluted HATE it attracts...the fact they are tred to EA doesnt help

Regnes:
Honestly, I think the worst trend is giving established developers free passes based on what they've done in the past.

Game Freak is a good example, they've been a bunch of lazy little fuckers for the past 12 years, offering little to no improvement with each new release. They love taking that one smash hit they made 16 years ago and repackaging it with a fresh coat of translucent paint, and not only do people continue to buy their games, they have the audacity to lie to themselves that they're still playing good games. If another company tried packaging a game of the exact same quality and asking you to pay 40 dollars for it, you would laugh at them.

I'm not lying to myself, I believe they are good games.

OT: I think the whole "EA is teh devil" thing going around is annoying. Sure, I can understand why some people would dislike them. (Like that one guy from EA that suggested charging people money to reload their gun. WUT.)

All in all though, I think they get a little more flack then they deserve.

Sexism, Racism, and Hobophobia are probably at their casual worst in online gaming communites. Mainly because people just see it as a big joke.

Probably what annoys me most is the casual use of the word Rape as a descriptor for beating someone.. it's pretty damn offensive to anyone with a brain, let alone an actual victim.

Edit : Now that I think about it. Probably even worse.. the complete overreaction to EVERYTHING negative by large portiions of the gaming community. Seriously, guys, you do not threaten to kill someone over video game ratings. You do not send death threats to critics for disliking your favourite games. You do not win hearts by abusing the people who criticise games.

I used to post the worst trends in video games but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Also this Mass Effect 3 hate, I haven't even played the game or it's demo and I hate it now just because it's all people talk about.

Xan Krieger:
I used to post the worst trends in video games but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Also this Mass Effect 3 hate, I haven't even played the game or it's demo and I hate it now just because it's all people talk about.

huh..really? Ive avoided all ME3 related stuf..the only thing being "the ending sucks" as for the rest of the game..I dont know
as I said in my other post..theres somthing about Bioware that really gets people going

EDIT: and as I said just then its probably best I dont ask

Vault101:

how do you know their games have been bad if you havnt played any? your talking like theyve been churing out games that literally dont work...and eat your hard drive and call you names

The fact that I haven't played their games has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm simply saying that it's a good thing when fans take up arms against games that didn't meet their standards instead of just letting it slide.

I may not have played ME3, but most people have, and the general consensus is in, they're not happy.

Regnes:

Vault101:

The fact that I haven't played their games has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm simply saying that it's a good thing when fans take up arms against games that didn't meet their standards instead of just letting it slide.

I may not have played ME3, but most people have, and the general consensus is in, they're not happy.

aahh..I see

I dont know..as I said I think people tend to overract...the overwhelming negativity can get tiring at times

as for ME3..I..well its best I don't ask...at least not untill I finsih the game (and get over it)

Hurrdurrentitlementhurrdurrdurr.

Serious answers: The fact that sexism, racism and homophobia are still considered integral parts of the community is obviously a big problem. That said, I also hate how community loves to hate itself.

"GAMERS SUCK!" -Gamers.

I get that people want to distance themselves from the kind of gamers that yell racial slurs over XBL and threaten to "boycott" games that they end up playing on day one anyways, but it's hard to respect a group that won't shut up about how awful it is.

Unsilenced:
snip.

I'd prefer it to the alternitive..people generally beliving there arnt.."issues"

of coarse we are only one part of the bigger "gamer" population

The "Entitled" gamer. Not the ones involved with Retake Mass Effect (they're not entitled, really, just pissed), but the ones who boycotted Left 4 Dead 2

Using the word "rape" instead of "pwn" and the general anti-female yet boobs are awesome mentality.

Nothing wrong with the boobs are awesome part though, just remember that they come attached (sometimes to pillows).

JohnnyKvatch:
What do you consider the worst trends that the community gets involved in? Such as meames, habits, behaviors, ideals, culture ect

All of them really. The internet just over do most things...

Vault101:

Unsilenced:
snip.

I'd prefer it to the alternitive..people generally beliving there arnt.."issues"

While I do think there are issues worth paying attention to, I'm not sure that it's any better to address them just by going "Yeah well all gamers are terrible people except me because I'm different!" or, for that matter, "All gamers are absolutely terrible human beings, but I'm not a gamer! I'm just someone who plays video games and posts on video-game related forums!"

That's not really addressing problems at all. That's running away from problems like they're plague-infected badgers on speed, and doing that is pretty much the exact opposite of "helping." I'd almost rather they be ignored than have the definition of "gamer" become "he who is homophobic and racist" because everyone else is too afraid to defend the title.

Unsilenced:

Vault101:

Unsilenced:
snip.

"All gamers are absolutely terrible human beings, but I'm not a gamer! I'm just someone who plays video games and posts on video-game related forums!"

I dont think thats what people are saing at all

the term "gamer" is a loaded one..and somtimes heavyly debated, I would call myself a gamer (and Im sure plently of people here would)

Gonna go with sexism, number of times i have seen a girl or woman join a tf2 server or the likes and as soon as she speaks the server suddenly comes to life with white knights trying to "help her" or people chatting her up or smash talking her such as shes bad "because she is a girl".

Just treat them like you would anyone else, albeit bad or good, if your a smash talking douche smash talk her then just dont use her sex as a put down.

That and elitist jerks, your good at a game you dont need to seek attention from others so they admire you and lavish praise on you.

That and trolls.

Vault101:

Unsilenced:

Vault101:

"All gamers are absolutely terrible human beings, but I'm not a gamer! I'm just someone who plays video games and posts on video-game related forums!"

I dont think thats what people are saing at all

the term "gamer" is a loaded one..and somtimes heavyly debated, I would call myself a gamer (and Im sure plently of people here would)

I haven't seen it here (yet,) but I've seen a lot of people denounce gamers as a whole while playing games and denying the title.

It's a pet peeve of mine.

Unsilenced:
snip)

I haven't seen it here (yet,) but I've seen a lot of people denounce gamers as a whole while playing games and denying the title.

It's a pet peeve of mine.[/quote]

it understandable even if I dont agree with it

I would fit MOST definitions, so yeah....its silly to deny it because I dont want ot be associated with cerain types of people

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked