How much can you drink before feeling like death the next day?
1-2 units
4.3% (10)
4.3% (10)
2-5 units
5.1% (12)
5.1% (12)
5-10 units
17.9% (42)
17.9% (42)
10-15 units
22.6% (53)
22.6% (53)
15+ units
12.8% (30)
12.8% (30)
I am Thor, god of the Norse. What is this hangover you speak of?
36.6% (86)
36.6% (86)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Your alcohol tolerance

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

April Fools edit: disregard everything written below, you've been tricked. This thread is now a ME3 flamewar until the 2nd of April.

Inspired by my celebrations last night, I became curious about how much alcohol the average person on the escapist can drink without regretting it the next morning. Does it vary for you at all? Do you have any miracle hangover cures, or do you believe in the hard, cold science of banana pancakes in the morning?

1 unit is equal to 10ml of alcohol (UK definition). You'd get about 2 units in a pint of beer, a glass of wine, or a double shot of vodka.

Edit: Wow! Nearly 30% of us claim dominion over the Nordic people. Maybe we should start a user group or something.

More than a bottle of wine usually means I'm going to feel pretty rough when I wake up.

That's about 10-15 units?

EDIT: my hangover cure is lots of water, two eggs and toast. Followed by lots of hangover tv.

No matter how much alcohol i have put into my system at one time, i have never suffered a hangover, and i drink pretty frequently

TheTim:
No matter how much alcohol i have put into my system at one time, i have never suffered a hangover, and i drink pretty frequently

Same here, but I do not drink that often.

Four bottles of Magners Cider, and a couple of shots is enough for me.

I don't get much of a hangover if I drink that amount.

I've never had a hangover, but then I can only drink so much before my body throws it all up. I've never got stonking drunk because my body simply won't allow me to hold that much alcohol in at once.

Nowadays I would probably shit myself and die if I as much as smelt beer, since I havent drunk a drop of alcohol for about a year now, but previous to that?

No hangover. All credit goes to Smash's amazing hangover prevention, which consists of drinking a glass of fucking water before you pass out. People, its not that hard.

lisadagz:
I've never had a hangover, but then I can only drink so much before my body throws it all up. I've never got stonking drunk because my body simply won't allow me to hold that much alcohol in at once.

What are you, some kind of old man? Get with the times, dude. In 2012 we throw up and continue drinking.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Nowadays I would probably shit myself and die if I as much as smelt beer, since I havent drunk a drop of alcohol for about a year now, but previous to that?

No hangover. All credit goes to Smash's amazing hangover prevention, which consists of drinking a glass of fucking water before you pass out. People, its not that hard.

lisadagz:

What are you, some kind of old man? Get with the times, dude. In 2012 we throw up and continue drinking.

The strategic chunder has been around for a long, long time.

Well, I find that drinking icy water helps me. Cold showers are pretty good too. Just tried them this morning, and they still work :) I'd say I'm in the region of 8-10 units, don't drink that often though.

Forgive me if I start to twiddle my metaphorical Nordic beard. I come from a long line of iron-stomached heavy drinkers. I've only had one experience of being hung over and that was when I emptied a 70cl bottle of vodka, walked from the kitchen to the living room and collapsed face first onto my friend's sofa until afternoon the next day.

Though half a bottle of spiced rum and I'm emptying my stomach everywhere.

I don't get hangovers, even if I've mixed beer, wine and spirits.

I can't recall ever getting a hangover, even after my worst experience where I drank a 26oz of rum on top of a couple pints of beer- and that's about 30 units by your standards.

TheTim:

Same here, although I don't drink like I used to (everyday and getting shit faced every weekend) I never once suffered with a hangover, and I enjoy mixing my drinks and sometimes going pretty excessive.

I've never really had a hangover, but I guess about 7 units is my optimum.

FamoFunk:

TheTim:

Same here, although I don't drink like I used to (everyday and getting shit faced every weekend) I never once suffered with a hangover, and I enjoy mixing my drinks and sometimes going pretty excessive.

Can I join the club? I've had a hangover once in my life, when I got shitfaced at Christmas. Even after drinking vodka straight a few weeks ago didn't give me a hangover >_<
I get drunk after about half a bottle of wine, if it's fairly strong.

Hang overs are cake. Just drink lots of water and take aspirin.

Throwing up fucking sucks though. I don't think drinking till you puke is fun.

Well the most alchol I've drunk at one time is 2 440ml cans of Carlsberg and 1 330ml bottle of Miller's. I wasn't even close to drunk but I don't know my tolerence. Oh, and Carlsberg definitely isn't the "best lager in the world"

Esotera:
1 unit is equal to 10ml of alcohol (UK definition). You'd get about 2 units in a pint of beer, a glass of wine, or a double shot of vodka.

I don't mean to be macho or anything but UK standards seem pretty weak. A standard shot has about 30 mL of alcohol.

I chose 10-15 as my poll option before reading this, now I'd have to changed it to 15+. I usually start my night with a mickey which means I am up to 37 units by your definition before I even head to the bars.

All that being said, I do get hungover but I have never once puked during or after drinking. My hangover cure usually consists of drinking a lot of water and getting some greasy bacon and eggs for breakfast/lunch. Every time I booze excessively, I fail to drink water before going to bed but I do always somehow remember to remove my contact lenses (and store them properly).

I don't drink at all, so I would probably buckle under the minimum.

A whole naggin of Absolut Vodka mixed with a 1.25 liter bottle of coke will have me tipsy, 2 will have me drunk, 3 will have me absolutely polluted. I usually have 1 with some shots,cider,beer and other stuff in there as well. I can handle alcohol quite well. I remember halloween when 3 shots of vodka, the bottle of coke with vodka had me stumbling around.

And the best part, never get hangovers. No matter how much I drink the worst I got was a sickly stomach.

Esotera:
Inspired by my celebrations last night, I became curious about how much alcohol the average person on the escapist can drink without regretting it the next morning. Does it vary for you at all? Do you have any miracle hangover cures, or do you believe in the hard, cold science of banana pancakes in the morning?

I can't drink for shit any more. I used to be able to put away two 350ml bottles of vodka before a night out, but not any more.
Nowadays a bottle of wine and a couple of beers guarantees me feeling like shit the next day, so I voted 5-10 units, and that's pretty much constant across alcohol types.
And in terms of cures, I'm one of those people that can't eat when hungover, so walking it off works for me! Pint or two of water before going to sleep also helps!

Goofguy:

Esotera:

I don't mean to be macho or anything but UK standards seem pretty weak. A standard shot has about 30 mL of alcohol.

Just checked, the UK shot definition is between 25 and 35 ml, the US one is 44ml precisely. So it seems you lot like spirits more than us! I remember that our lovely warm beer is a bit stronger though, so it's all good! :P

Edit:

ToTaL LoLiGe:
Well the most alchol I've drunk at one time is 2 440ml cans of Carlsberg and 1 330ml bottle of Miller's. I wasn't even close to drunk but I don't know my tolerence. Oh, and Carlsberg definitely isn't the "best lager in the world"

Yeah, Carlsburg is fucking rancid lol. I've tasted homebrew that was nicer...

TheTim:

Bloody youngsters. It'll happen when you get older.

I have a pretty high tolerance for booze, I don't really keep track of how much I drink but I know that it generally takes a lot for me to feel shit in the morning. I find that staying up too late and not getting enough sleep to recover is the worst thing for me.

Y'know... I don't know any more...

Used to be pretty damned high... I could drink three bottles of wine and still geek-out in chemistry without any problems. Bizarrely, my alacrity went up when 'tipsy'. These days, when I drink, I drink a lot... just over a very long period of time. *drink* *drink* *piss* *drink* *drink* *piss* *eat* *drink* *drink* *piss* *drink* *drink* *piss* is how a fair few Saturdays/Sundays go these days and it's almost impossible to get drunk that way.

How many units is a can of beer?
I can take a 12 pack and feel just a little bit dizzy, guess that put me 10-15 or 15+.

I've never had a hangover, despite the amounts of alcohol i ingest, guess i'm lucky. Though i do always drink like 2 pints of water before i go to sleep. That probably helps.

I've never had a hangover before, so I really don't know what to say for it. But the most I've probably drank at one time is two, three cups of 151 proof rum and cokes that were about 3/4 rum or so. xD No hangover. But it was a wicked sweet time.

I try to get a glass of water in every two drinks or so. It usually keeps me feeling well. I went to a bachelor party two weeks ago and had
-Two Old Fashioneds
-Five Beers (two Fat Tires, two wheat beers from a local brewery, and one stout whose name I can't remember)
-One Irish Car Bomb
-Three Oyster Shots

I mixed in lots of water, and felt fine the next morning. But if I screw up and don't drink water? I basically just take my computer in the restroom and periodically throw up while watcing movies and promising myself that I'll never drink again. It's the very definition of pathetic.

My roommates goes running when he has a hangover. I want to punch him.

I've never had a hangover and that isn't just idle net balls.

I appear to be incapable of feeling rough the next day, and I'm really not boasting when I say I'd be more than a little surprised if I couldn't drink everyone on these forums under the table. I've never actually met anyone who can keep up, not to say they aren't out there. Just that I haven't met them.

My tolerance is pretty high despite being pretty skinny. I don't get hangovers - weirdly I used to get them at about sixteen, but I'm twenty now and haven't had one in ages. Stomach turns a little bit when I wake up but that's about it, I think the trick is to chug a pint of water before you go to bed, been doing that for ages.

Never been hungover. Never been drunk. Never want to. What's the point?

I voted Thor, only because you didn't have a proper option for me...

I AM ODIN ALLFATHER, FATHER OF THE GODS AND MIGHTY SMITER OF SMITING!!

Ahem...Yeah, I just seem to have a stupidly high tolerance for alcohol, makes nights out expensive.

Archroy:

The strategic chunder has been around for a long, long time.

You're showing your age dude, it's a tactical chunder these days.

Captcha 'down the hatch'.

Is this new Captcha fucking psychic or something? It always seems to be kind of relevant.

Well, I can down the cocktails. I think being a French Duke helps. Beer however, about two pints and I am a gone, sir.

It's not how much you drink, but how big you are in the first place:

John Candy says it best:

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked