Stuff you thought when you were a Kid

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Thinker:

Elementary - Dear Watson:

Binnsyboy:

Yep. Lost every single time :D

and what did your significant other say about your attempt at some comatose action?

Well I woke up half way through, very confused... I had aparently woken her up, she said after that I initiated it... but all I remember is waking up half way through... pretty decent feeling though... felt damn refreshed in the morning! :P

Heeyyyy... I remember this story from the other thread!

:P Yeah... I don't have many stories! :S

So far the only thing I can think was that

Double D from Edd, Ed and Eddy was a girl.

Can't remember anything right now.
I was really smart as a kid.

I just remember one thing, but it was more naivity than anything. My grandfather had a sword in his house and I asked why he had it. My family said he used to fight bad guys during dictatorship in Portugal, and that's why he was arrested.
It's a fact he was arrested because he was fighting against the dictatorship, but the sword was just collection item :D But I believed this until very old, like 12 maybe.

i thought that if i shut off a game, the characters would continue, finish the game, and go to sleep. then, everything i played after that first shut down would be a dream.

I thought that you had to pee in someone to get them pregnant... i was a fucked up child.

hulksmashley:
I thought that Professor Snape was a woman for the longest time.

I still don't know why.

Until the second movie came out, I thought Lockhart was a woman. No idea where I got that idea from.

I thought everything was self aware. So I'd try to catch those bastards out by turning away, and then looking back real quick.

haven't seen it in this thread, but everyone thought it: the clouds are made at the giant factory chimney's.

I thought you could wreck a computer by turning a computer back on after shutting it off if you hadn't waited at least a half minute or so. To this day, I have no idea where that notion came from.

That I could fly down the stairs..

Turns out I couldnt.

Airsoftslayer93:
I thought that you had to pee in someone to get them pregnant... i was a fucked up child.

Yeah i thought that to, your not alone with that one.

knight of some random number:

I thought my toys would get up to no good, when I was asleep or out of my bedroom.

I thought videogame characters would talk to each other, when a video game was paused.

thought that too and I still think that video game characters do that. I guess you would call that an overactive imagination but its fun. I also means I'm unable to be an asshole in games.

OT: I thought that the light stayed on when you close the refrigator.

For whatever reason, I managed to convince myself that monsters were hiding in the shadows of my laundry room, and if I didn't make it back upstairs in time, the monsters would eat me.

I never really thought about everything back then being black and white for two reasons. 1, I read Calvin and Hobbes. 2, I never thought about the past that much.

Edit: I also was scared of swimming for the longest time because I had accidentally gone and gotten myself submerged completely underwater while at a pool.

Oh, and then there was the time where I had convinced myself that the Grand Keeler Theater was the Grand Killer Theater.

Don't ask.

I thought that the Burger King was real. Like, an actual Monarch with a palace and everything.

I used to think China was giant toy factory. This was because all i knew about China at that age was that it was a place and toys came from there.

I used to think that real-life noise affected videogames, when i was playing Hitman when i was nine (parenting!) i would hold my breath and tell anyone in the room to be quiet when i had to be stealthy.

It was my deeply-held belief that Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding.

When i first heard of an Eyetoy, i thought that it would actually put me in the game, as in, i would be able to talk to in-game characters.

I used to think that clouds came from power station chimneys.

I was terrified of swimming until i was about 11 because when i was 4/5 i slipped and fell into the pool while absolutely convinced that there was a Great White Shark hiding in there somewhere.

EDIT: 1000th post! Now do i get to see the basement?

as a child of 6, i saw the movie "JAWS". from that day i was terrified that sharks lived in every swimming pool. as a man of 22, i am still a little scared that sharks hide under the pool cover if i don't take it all the way off.

scornedbythenine:

Angry Juju:
I used to think that pressing B + Down before the pokeball closed would improve my chances of catching a Pokemon

check before posting you retard
this thread is for childhood-missconceptions

You might want to edit your post before you get yourself a warning. I understand the joke that you're trying to make but calling someone a retard turns it from a joke into annoying trolling.

If you weren't joking then god help you.

I thought of another one.
When I was younger I thought that at night there where vampires in the dark and I would subsequently sprint to the light switch and the only thing that would save me would by putting the light on. I dont think that anymore. I think the grudge is in the dark now, its way scarier

I was so sure that everytime I left the house, my dolls would throw a huge party and have fun only to stop when I came home. I think it was that one time I swore I left my doll in the kitchen and she ended up on my bed when I got home from school.

The Tails doll thing was real.

Black holes were everywhere and if I became an astronaut I would probably get sucked into one when I went into space.

that if you drink caprisun in the right conditions then you would gain the power to transform into a liquid and fly.

When I was about 6 or 7 I used to think that the world consisted of only 2 countries, Canada and the United States. It's funny 'cause I remember asking my Mom if Canada was the entire world and she told me that "No, there was the US too." So I then concluded that the half the world was Canada and the other half was the US. I even remember the mental image I got from that.

Wow, a lot of people believed some pretty weird crap it seems. I don't think I believed anything particularly stupid as a kid. I mean, I was afraid of the dark, but I didn't actually believe monsters existed. I knew I was being irrational so I would try to force myself to walk slowly upstairs after I'd turned the lights off, but I always ended up sprinting after a few steps.

DrRockor:
I thought of another one.
When I was younger I thought that at night there where vampires in the dark and I would subsequently sprint to the light switch and the only thing that would save me would by putting the light on. I dont think that anymore. I think the grudge is in the dark now, its way scarier

I use to do that as well but I thought it was Satan trying to kill me

scornedbythenine:

Angry Juju:
I used to think that pressing B + Down before the pokeball closed would improve my chances of catching a Pokemon

check before posting you retard
this thread is for childhood-missconceptions

Dude, calm down.

OT: I was petrified of our basement. Like, scared shitless. It was the scariest place in the world. All sorts of evil monsters lived there, but the worst one was a judge(wtf!?). The judge one was from some nightmare I had where my sisters' friend (who I really liked since she was always very nice to me, making it all twice as bad, as I was "betrayed" by her) convincing me to go down in to the basement because it's not dangerous. I was really hesitant, when all of a sudden she got really long arms with claws and threw me down there. Then there's this judge with white wig, hammer and everything who sends me falling through a completely black, uh thing with lots of random colors (again wtf!).

Oh and also, I thought shelves were creatures from Siberia which we had enslaved to hold our stuff. AGAIN wtf.

I was very weird. Very, very weird.

Edit: Rewrote entire OT since it was very poorly phrased and was written as short as possible because auto-correct was doing it's best to make me fuck up.

Rikomag132:
OT: I used to think our basement was scary as hell, and probably would've done so still if we hadn't moved. We had the creepiest basement ever.

Nothing wrong with being scared of the basement, In fact I am still scared of basements in general. I've only ever been in one house with one but dude I only went down there once and it freaked me out

I always thought that the underground railroad, a term used to describe a secret series of hiding places for american slaves to make it to the north, was a subway.

Tazzy da Devil:
I thought that the moon was a hole in the sky that lead to heaven, and that's why it glowed.

That, is adorable.

I used to believe that when a car was driving along its front wheels were spinning forwards and its back wheels were spinning backwards. Sounds stupid I know but it was the result of an optical illusion, which are easy to fall for when you're 4.

I thought that babies were pooped out... I was close! kinda... Also, until 11/11/11 I never thought an arrow to the knee could be annoying in a way that didn't involve physical pain (Don't count that if 14 is too old for these misconceptions) (Also, god, how do I live with myself, I just made an arrow to the knee joke)

It's not really something I believed, but whenever I heard something about either death or something that scared me (which was a fucking lot) I would be scared for months. Heard you could get a heart attack from eating to much food in grade two, basically stopped eating food for about four months. Heard a nerf thingy being thrown at a sporting event, someone jokingly said it was the Borg, hand to sleep with my rooms light on for about two months, then progressed to having the kitchen doors light blaring through. At one point I was legitimately scared of Shrek!

I thought that everyone was a robot except for me.

Well, I was half right.

Stuntcrab:
So far the only thing I can think was that

Double D from Edd, Ed and Eddy was a girl.

That would sound both dirty and obvious to someone who didn't know about the show.

When I was a very young kid, I believe that since you could only be born your birthday, logic of the universe would have it that you could only die on your birthday as well. I would get really nervous at my grandfather's birthday parties...

I used to think that every time I stuck my hand under something (bed, dresser, tv stand, etc.) that the universe would break it at the legs and it would either crush me or my arm. I'm still afraid of reaching under anything.

I used to think that "state" was synonymous with "country" and that all countries, like China, England, France, and Italy were part of The United States of America which made up the entire world.

I can't really remember having any weird beliefs other than that, but I have a friend who thought that the reason people went to sleep at night was so that the government could put dew on the grass.

I had no idea that boobs included nipples, until I found hentai that is...
I also kind of assumed that once you were an adult, you wouldn't get to play exciting or physically active games. Instead, you'd play board games or bocce ball or horse shoes, rather than run around, climb on things, and jump.
Later, I found this to be false:

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked