Do you think the escapist should have a category for dating?
Yes (man)
23.9% (45)
23.9% (45)
No (man)
57.4% (108)
57.4% (108)
Yes (woman)
2.7% (5)
2.7% (5)
No (woman)
10.6% (20)
10.6% (20)
Yes (intermediate)
1.6% (3)
1.6% (3)
No (intermediate)
3.7% (7)
3.7% (7)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The Escapist Luuuuuuurve corner?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I'll keep it short and sweet; do you think the escapist should have a small dating esque section on it?
The Escapist connects so many like minded people, I even know some people who are dating who met on the escapist. I was just wondering if people thought it could/or should become official?
If you agree or disagree, post your reason for either please!

No I don't know why there's a seperate option for each gender, put your hand down

I am neither for nor against it I think it has a lot to do with whether there is a real demand for it. Also I think it would be a little sad because it is a mostly male audience here so it would be a ton of guys all swarming a womanless area and when any woman enters they would just all gang up whether it is intentionally or not.

No. This is a gaming site, not a dating site.

I'm all for folk PMing and things starting from there, but not a special part of the forums for it.

I never even considered it, but maybe that's just my defect as a man.

If there becomes sufficient demand for it, I see no reason not to.

Heck, we have a section for Religion and Politics and those cause flamewars like nothing else.

FamoFunk:
No. This is a gaming site, not a dating site.

I'm all for folk PMing and things starting from there, but not a special part of the forums for it.

Then surely the off topic forum shouldn't exist? Y'know, since it's a gaming site.

Honestly don't care. I wouldn't use it, simple as that really. Have it if you want it literally won't affect my life one bit.

aba1:
I am neither for nor against it I think it has a lot to do with whether there is a real demand for it. Also I think it would be a little sad because it is a mostly male audience here so it would be a ton of guys all swarming a womanless area and when any woman enters they would just all gang up whether it is intentionally or not.

That'd be good for a giggle though... Actually never mind, that would not be good for a giggle, it'd get pretty dark pretty quick.

Meh, I'm not so sure. Maybe it'd have some uses, and could be a fun little addition, but maybe it would come off as a bit creepy? Also, look at the ratio of men to women on here. There are like several dozen men for every woman on this site. At least. :P

I want to say yes because I'm terribly lonely and generally unlovable but... I dunno.

Hell fucking no. Not only is this website a complete sausage fest, its also a gaming centered sausage fest.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Hell fucking no. Not only is this website a complete sausage fest, its also a gaming centered sausage fest.

Is it that sausage-y? I wonder what the percentage is. I know I assume everyone's a dude unless I check their profile, even though I'm a girl :\

Lucem712:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Is it that sausage-y? I wonder what the percentage is. I know I assume everyone's a dude unless I check their profile, even though I'm a girl :\

Probably like 95:5. Maybe even 98:2 when you exclude all the guys pretending to be women.

I don't think it would work, this escapist is abit of a testical festival. It could get creepy, there would need to be forums for each region.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Lucem712:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Probably like 95:5. Maybe even 98:2 when you exclude all the guys pretending to be women.

Wow, I just got a super disturbing image. The dude from 'GAMER', the movie. (How appropriate)

If you want to talk about dating then go to the advice section, 1/3 of threads are about dating.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Lucem712:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Wasn't there a recent poll that put the numbers at like 80% men, <15% women, and the remaining % were transgender or asexual?

OT: I agree with Smash here. The ratios are way too off for it to be worth it.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I have to agree with SmashLovesTitanQuest here. I mean, I would love to, but I doubt it'd really be useful. Heck, even assuming the women are around 10% or more, and all of them were single, you still have the issue of people being from all over the world.

Lucem712:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Lucem712:

Wow, I just got a super disturbing image. The dude from 'GAMER', the movie. (How appropriate)

Well, if we do have some guys patrolling these forums pretending to be a girl, maybe even jacking off from time to time, I have a total boner killer as my avatar. Like: "You better not be doing what I think you are doing. Put your dick back in your pants. Stop pretending to be something you are not. Walter White really, really, really disapproves. Want me to go Heisenburg on you?"

I love my avatar, but im gonna change it soon anyway.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Lucem712:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well, if we do have some guys patrolling these forums pretending to be a girl, maybe even jacking off from time to time, I have a total boner killer as my avatar. Like: "You better not be doing what I think you are doing. Put your dick back in your pants. Stop pretending to be something you are not. Walter White really, really, really disapproves. Want me to go Heisenburg on you?"

I love my avatar, but im gonna change it soon anyway.

You know, until you mentioned it, I never noticed how judgmental your avatar was. I'm a little sad to see it go[1]

[1] (Is totally not a stalker or anything >_>)

Nah, I really don't think it would mesh well with the site as is. Plus there are people from all over the planet on here. Good luck getting a date with someone in England when you're living in California.

ToTaL LoLiGe:
I don't think it would work, this escapist is abit of a testical festival. It could get creepy, there would need to be forums for each region.

"TestiFest 2012" popped into my mind as soon as I read that. That needs to be a thing.

OT: Maybe. The demographic isn't quite that skewed, but it's still enough that the men overwhelm the women here by a lot. It wouldn't really work out all that well, though a separate relationship (in general) forum might work.

Nooooo. I get creeped on enough as a female on the Internets as it is. I can't even imagine the sort of creeping that would go on in that sort of a section, and what sort of creeping would spill out of it. If I wanted to find a relationship online, I would go to an online dating website.

Nope.

go to a dating site for that. escapist is a dignified site for discussion and gaming not for weird people who don't have the guts to talk to somebody.

guys pretending to be girls? thats just creepy...

....not that i would know why....Because I am ABSOLUTLY NOT a guy pretending to be a girl.........

...so..uhh...like I'll probably go watch a romcom and...eat yogurt...and other girl things...later.....

MALE
No, this is not E-Harmony this is a gaming site granted we have an off topic forum and a jobs forum we are still linked to gaming and i just do not see it linked to dates.

Granted I would not be opposed to such, I mean while it feels out of place i can understand the desire for it and if it existed I may even use it.

Let me think about this...

Literally the worst idea I have heard all week. It just would not work out well.

I don't like the idea. This is a place for games, not a place for people to find dates. If they meet on here, talking through PMs, that's fine. But I don't want this to become a dating site, especially a themed dating site, yuck.

I would not oppose it, I just would not use it. Maybe if it was just for our avatars?

Single blue eye looking for female friend to play mature co-op games with. Prefer girl who is near my level but not so good I lose a lot. Relationship tree unlocks when our friendship hits level 3. Upon sexing you unlock a relationship card of my eye wearing no pants.

(captcha says "Sick Puppy" yup, dead on.)

ryanxm:
I don't like the idea. This is a place for games, not a place for people to find dates. If they meet on here, talking through PMs, that's fine. But I don't want this to become a dating site, especially a themed dating site, yuck.

That reminds me, I actually think they tried to create something like this with memebase.com.

...it was terrible.

lol really? We can't even go to months with out some whiny bastard bitching about how mean gurlz are, and the white knights and feminist feuding with them.

ToTaL LoLiGe:

Okay sir, you win the thread. "Testicle Festival" needs to be a thing. Right now.

OT: I'm not OPPOSED to the idea, but frankly, there's no way in hell it'd work on a site like this. As previously mentioned, the male-female ratio is just too vast.

Is this because of all the hotties in the latest picture posting thread? Grrrrrrowl.

Female here:
Mmmmmmmm, no. I'm not super against it, but let's not do that. Doesn't seem like a good fit for the site.

TheNaut131:

ryanxm:

That reminds me, I actually think they tried to create something like this with memebase.com.

...it was terrible.

It's ok, we're here for you man, we're here for you.

I don't really see why not. I think it would be a better place for all the relationship-related threads we get, which is what I had initially thought entering this thread, but I guess it's meant to be the equivalent of a dating site?

Well, whatever floats your boat.

If it did become a thing, I honestly don't think it'd last very long at all.

Sure, although I know I wouldn't use it since most escapist live thousands of kilometers away from me, and I come here to read about games and whatnot, not to date anyone (even if it was that hottie that added me as a friend here).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked