Marriage is no longer sacred.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

You read that right. Marriage is an outdated tradition in modern day society. Divorce is a somewhat common thing today, and that's a shame and all that jazz. Now, I'm just going to come out and say this: When you get married, you vow to each other to be with each other until death do you part. Not until somebody better comes along, not until you get bored of one another; until you die. I understand people change and personality's are like rolling stones, but it's a rolling stone you chained yourself to, forever. At this point you maybe calling me old school and I need to get with the times, but this is where the whole sanctity of marriage thing people keep yammering on about comes into play. Marriage is a tradition, a tradition some people don't seem to grasp the concept of. I'm not calling you a bad person if you're divorced or anything, I'm just saying marriage, at this point in society, is no longer needed. I'm going to stop here and keep explaining as the thread continues

That's why all marriage vows should be "Til hot blonde secretary with great tits do we part"

Yay for generalizing! I wasn't aware that everyone must at some point get divorced, thank you for explaining that to me :D

This is as stupid as the threads complaining about women being heartless bitches and men being sex crazed douchebags.

Eh.. sorry, I don't believe a piece of paper means someone should stay with someone who abuses them forever and ever, amen. *shrug* Personalities do change, and some change it to be expected. But, when it comes to the point that the change either makes you constantly miserable or actually puts you in danger, sanctity can go fuck itself, in my humble opinion.

This is really a HUGE generalization. Do some people take for granted their ability to get married? Yeah, they do, and it's sickening, really. But that doesn't mean that it's something that should be abolished completely. Sure, maybe it needs some upgrading for the times, but not all people are the same. Some people, myself included, fully plan on sticking to the 'until death do you part'. Unless circumstances arise, of course. But that's our right, to chose if we want to divorce or not, just as it's our right to chose who and when we want to get married to.

Lucem712:
That's why all marriage vows should be "Til hot blonde secretary with great tits do we part"

That's amazing I laughed hard.
OT: I don't give two shits about marriage because I'm not religious, I don't need a god I don't believe in two give the green light on my loving of a woman. In todays world we don't need marriages. Unless your religious

Did The Escapist crowd just go through a bad breakup or something?

Marriage itself is great; people are stupid. People get married too quickly, too young, because someone got knocked up, or feel like they have to because it's what they're "supposed to do". Very few are doing it for the right reasons.

My parents had me at 17 and were married at 18...they had three of my four "stupid reasons to be married" and shockingly, divorced when I was...3? My Dad was a drunk and my Mom decided that living like that was not worth it.

imahobbit4062:
Yay for generalizing! I wasn't aware that everyone must at some point get divorced, thank you for explaining that to me :D

This is as stupid as the threads complaining about women being heartless bitches and men being sex crazed douchebags.

Yay for generalising some more! Surely all marriages go with the "until death do as apart", umm, part. There isn't a single one that doesn't feature that promise. Except for my uncle's wedding I was to. And my cousin's. Actually I first became aware of "until death do us apart" due to Hollywood movies. I hadn't even heard of anybody using it beforehand.

novixz:
When you get married, you vow to each other to be with each other until death do you part.

Not necessarily. Our vows didn't include any such thing.

(Also, born in 1996? Jesus. I literally have shoes older than you.)

Marriage stopped being sacred when divorce became the norm.

Look at it this way, if marriage is the sacred joining, is divorce the sacred separation?
That's what Catholics need to get into their fucking heads. Marriage is now a Civil thing, not a religious thing.

DoPo:

imahobbit4062:

Yay for generalising some more! Surely all marriages go with the "until death do as apart", umm, part. There isn't a single one that doesn't feature that promise. Except for my uncle's wedding I was to. And my cousin's. Actually I first became aware of "until death do us apart" due to Hollywood movies. I hadn't even heard of anybody using it beforehand.

Yay for completely missing the point!
I never said all marriages go with "until death do us part". I said that not every marriage ends in divorce. Or perhaps you can't read?

Marriage was never sacred. Nothing is sacred.

Marriage is a tradition that has simply changed. Is it necessary? I think that's a pointless thing to consider. Either people want it or they do not, that's all that matters. It can suit what people want for their lives or it might not, and they can decided what to do with it from there.

imahobbit4062:

DoPo:

imahobbit4062:

I never said all marriages go with "until death do us part". I said that not every marriage ends in divorce. Or perhaps you can't read?

Sorry, that was addressed at the OP. I just wanted to build on what you said.

Also, another thing I know through movies only:

ToTaL LoLiGe:
OT: I don't give two shits about marriage because I'm not religious, I don't need a god I don't believe in two give the green light on my loving of a woman. In todays world we don't need marriages. Unless your religious

Marriage is only a religious thing. Where I came from, we have civil marriages (or civil unions, if you wish), where a man and a woman just go and sign some papers. You can have your church ritual separately or on the same day or not at all.

DoPo:

imahobbit4062:

DoPo:

Sorry, that was addressed at the OP. I just wanted to build on what you said.

Also, another thing I know through movies only:

ToTaL LoLiGe:

Marriage is only a religious thing. Where I came from, we have civil marriages (or civil unions, if you wish), where a man and a woman just go and sign some papers. You can have your church ritual separately or on the same day or not at all.

My apologies then good Ser.
*bows*

Marriage hasn't been "sacred" for hundreds of years. Just ask King Henry VIII.

(PROTIP: "'Til Death Do You Part" is not carte blanche for "Off With Her Head".)

Lucem712:

red head or even brunette... not a fan of blondes.

Marriage is not sacred.

It's just a legal system.

Since society and the environment has changed, marriage is in need of redefining.

Also til death do us apart was easy when your life expectancy is only til 60.
Now t hat many people easily make it in to their 80s, that a tough vow to live up to.

Melanie McGreevey:

Lucem712:

All 'Hot Blonde Secretaries' are non-refundable after being opened. Please contact your local Woman Warehouse for more information, deals and to issue complaints.

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT 'WOMAN WAREHOUSE'!

Marriage was never sacred to begin with. You are just sort of making a pact with another person and thats it. Really hard to go against your natural urges to want to mate with everything that moves. People like to pretend that marriage is this ultimate step into the right direction. Yeah it's nothing more than a way to screw you if you want out, divorce here we come.

Lucem712:

Melanie McGreevey:

Lucem712:

All 'Hot Blonde Secretaries' are non-refundable after being opened. Please contact your local Woman Warehouse for more information, deals and to issue complaints.

BAH! i didn't read the stupid fine print! That'll teach me.

What if you get married without someone uttering the phrase "til death do you part." it's entirely possible.

I admit it, I'm a hopeless romantic. Right now, I'm in love with a girl, known her for two years, we get along great. Once we both graduate from college and get jobs, I just might ask her to marry me. I would love to spend the rest of my life with this woman. I would love to raise a family with her. I would love to grow old with her and have my last words to her be a joke about how I expired before those McDonald's coupons on the fridge did (followed by I love you or yadda yadda, something like that :P)

But if I ever do marry her, and sometime down the line something happens and neither of us are happy anymore...why should we both be forced to endure the rest of our entire lives in a loveless marriage just because it's "tradition"?

It's nice to have something to believe in, and love is hardly the worst thing to bet on, but sometimes things change, and you have to let go.

the sanctity of "marrage" isnt somthing thats been around since the dawn of time

its entirly cultrual...its not some magical thing

Of course marriage isn't sacred. That would be stupid. However, it is fallacious to say we can just get rid of marriage since it is no longer religiously significant. Marriage is a necessary institution that has many important legal ramifications.

It's sad that there's a lot of divorce, but there's a sliver lining to it. You realize that in the past, the reason why divorce was rare wasn't because more couples loved each other - oh no, no, no - the couples of previous generations were just as dysfunctional as they are today! It's just that divorce was socially unacceptable and it usually spelled doom and ruin for women. In the past, getting a divorce was a good way for the woman to end up mired in poverty and for the man to be excluded from any chance of corporate promotion or social status (it was worse for the wife in all regards, though. Don't forget that).

The Couples of the 30's and the 40's didn't love each other more or have less affairs - they had affairs by the truckload. It's just that divorce was a whole lot scarier back then. If you were a woman, getting divorced was a good way to ensure that you'd be out on the street, starving, and you ran the risk of never seeing your children ever again. You'd lose all face as well - divorce was a big social no-no.

Divorce was rarer back then because fear kept people in deeply unhappy marriages. Abusive marriages. Marriages they didn't want to be in. Yes, the modern greater freedom to get divorced has caused some problems (1/2 children grow up in divorced homes), but would you prefer that people remain stuck in marriages that don't make either party happy?

The real problem is not divorce or marriage - it's the "rush-rush", "if-it-feels-good-do-it", "to-hell-with-the-consequences" thinking of many Americans when it comes to relationships. So many are founded on nothing but lust and shallow qualities that don't last with time. Yeah, he or she might look hot NOW, but time wears away all good looks eventually. If you base your relationships on "Oh gawd, he looks so, like, Hot!" or "Damn man, she's got a big ol' ass! Ah's like the boobs!" then you are setting yourself up for failure. And too few Americans understand that. So many young ones get married in their twenties, unaware of the fact that they cannot escape age anymore than anyone else and that one day their good looks with fade away.

Divorce is not the problem. Marriage is not the problem. The problem is rushing into relationships without considering long-term (decades long) compatibility and personality. Before you marry, think to yourself: "Will I want to spend time with this person even when age and time ravages our faces to the extent that both us look like sun-dried burlap sacks?" If the answer is no, don't get married. If the answer is yes, consider getting married.

Because we will all look like Sun-Dried Burlap sacks eventually. You cannot escape old age. It will come for you as surely as the tide moves in and out. Age is inevitable. Your looks WILL fade and there is NOTHING. YOU. CAN. DO. ABOUT. IT. Nothing. You cannot run from time or old age. It will come for thee.

Sounds like you've got a pretty big chip on your shoulder for a 15 year old. Mayhaps you have some family members going through a divorce and you needed a place to vent?

Sure, it's pretty crappy. My parents got divorced shortly after I started going to university. I was pretty angry for quite a while. However, now that they're both seeing other people, they're wayyyyy happier than during the last few years together. I am thrilled for the both of them, no one should have to feel stuck in a floundering relationship.

I understand what you mean about commitment to one an other but as some people grow closer to each other, others grow further apart. In my opinion, they're not doing themselves or their loved ones any favours if they're only staying together because it's convenient or they've become used to it.

requisitename:
Eh.. sorry, I don't believe a piece of paper means someone should stay with someone who abuses them forever and ever, amen. *shrug* Personalities do change, and some change it to be expected. But, when it comes to the point that the change either makes you constantly miserable or actually puts you in danger, sanctity can go fuck itself, in my humble opinion.

Well it is a commitment not a piece of paper and that is why you shouldn't get married unless you are a 100% committed not 99% nothing less than 100%. If you are in any way unsure in the slightest you should not get married.

OT:
Marriage does work just people don't take there time to prepare. My parents are not divorced and very happy and same with my grandparents and I am sure so will I (I have been with my gf for 6 years).

Umm...duh? We've known this for years now.

Lucem712:

Melanie McGreevey:

Lucem712:

Woman Warehouse? I think you mean Woman Whorehouse.

novixz:
You read that right. Marriage is an outdated tradition in modern day society. Divorce is a somewhat common thing today, and that's a shame and all that jazz. Now, I'm just going to come out and say this: When you get married, you vow to each other to be with each other until death do you part. Not until somebody better comes along, not until you get bored of one another; until you die.

So you'd rather two people who don't love each other anymore stay together forever for the good of what? Making marriage an attractive option to others? Not using the satanic devorce option?

Also you are assuming that people get divorced primarily because of affairs or boredom, and while I don't deny that that is a percentage of the list of reasons, it's not the only reasons.

I broke up with my girlfriend that I'd loved for two years not because of someone better or from boredom, just because I didn't love her anymore. That happens too.

Korolev:
It's sad that there's a lot of divorce, but there's a sliver lining to it. You realize that in the past, the reason why divorce was rare wasn't because more couples loved each other - oh no, no, no - the couples of previous generations were just as dysfunctional as they are today! It's just that divorce was socially unacceptable and it usually spelled doom and ruin for women. In the past, getting a divorce was a good way for the woman to end up mired in poverty and for the man to be excluded from any chance of corporate promotion or social status (it was worse for the wife in all regards, though. Don't forget that).

The Couples of the 30's and the 40's didn't love each other more or have less affairs - they had affairs by the truckload. It's just that divorce was a whole lot scarier back then. If you were a woman, getting divorced was a good way to ensure that you'd be out on the street, starving, and you ran the risk of never seeing your children ever again. You'd lose all face as well - divorce was a big social no-no.

Divorce was rarer back then because fear kept people in deeply unhappy marriages. Abusive marriages. Marriages they didn't want to be in. Yes, the modern greater freedom to get divorced has caused some problems (1/2 children grow up in divorced homes), but would you prefer that people remain stuck in marriages that don't make either party happy?

The real problem is not divorce or marriage - it's the "rush-rush", "if-it-feels-good-do-it", "to-hell-with-the-consequences" thinking of many Americans when it comes to relationships. So many are founded on nothing but lust and shallow qualities that don't last with time. Yeah, he or she might look hot NOW, but time wears away all good looks eventually. If you base your relationships on "Oh gawd, he looks so, like, Hot!" or "Damn man, she's got a big ol' ass! Ah's like the boobs!" then you are setting yourself up for failure. And too few Americans understand that. So many young ones get married in their twenties, unaware of the fact that they cannot escape age anymore than anyone else and that one day their good looks with fade away.

Divorce is not the problem. Marriage is not the problem. The problem is rushing into relationships without considering long-term (decades long) compatibility and personality. Before you marry, think to yourself: "Will I want to spend time with this person even when age and time ravages our faces to the extent that both us look like sun-dried burlap sacks?" If the answer is no, don't get married. If the answer is yes, consider getting married.

Because we will all look like Sun-Dried Burlap sacks eventually. You cannot escape old age. It will come for you as surely as the tide moves in and out. Age is inevitable. Your looks WILL fade and there is NOTHING. YOU. CAN. DO. ABOUT. IT. Nothing. You cannot run from time or old age. It will come for thee.

Thank you. It always makes me uncomfortable when people don't take the whole "Until recently, divorce meant that you were screwed over, especially for women" aspect of the matter. Divorce isn't an inherently evil terrible thing.

I think marriage should remain an option, if nothing else than for making things a lot more smoother legally and such for someone you're going to spend at least seven or eight years. That, and it does make a difference for the kids.

Traditional marriage is being used as an economic bargaining chip by your parents. Unless someone is living in an arranged marriage with a rich, neckbearded landwhale who leaves the toilet seat up, I don't want to hear a word about how much they love tradition.

Marriage is something I'm not bothered about. I'd happily never get married to who I'm with.

But I do think there is some truth in the OP, divorcing does seem to be easier, but I also think a lot of people no longer put effort into saving a marriage like they used to.

But then, no one should stay in a marriage or with someone they don't want to, it depends how important marriage is to you.

From what I can tell, getting married is actually a huge financial burden for an old and archaic system. For who really needs a piece of paper to make it official that you love someone?

Marriage is to the populace as the numbers 9 and 10 are to critics. Overused. You should save it for something/someone really special.

Hah!

Part of me agrees with you, that the concept of "till death do us part" and staying with 1 partner for your whole life, died a while ago. People casually marry each other for shits and giggles these days.

The part that disagrees, says that the "sanctity of marriage" is a societal creation and never really mattered in the first place. Society changes all the time, and while it seems bad to consider marriage like a "fad", it technically could be. With more people questioning religion, more marriages are being done as a government practice. Religion made marriage a "you are going to live with this person for the rest of your life and god says its a cool thing", but without religion, it is a "you should live with this person for the rest of your life, but you might change your mind later". I mean, without religion, you could argue that marriage is just a piece of paper saying "I am with this person and everyone knows it".

I imagine I will probably get married with "that special someone" someday, but if she doesn't want to get married, I won't really care. Marriage is that official "HEY EVERYONE. WE LOVE EACH OTHER AND LIVE TOGETHER". If people don't care for that, then that is their prerogative.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked