What entertainment have you been into over the years?

All right fellow escapist members, Here's a little though/writing execise for you.

"What were the media/entertainment things that have shaped your life and how did you get into them."

It's a relatively simple question, but one that's gonna require a lot of introspection on your part.You don't have to talk about every little thing that you enjoyed over the course of your life; you can just talk about one little section if you wish. Really the point of this exercise is to get you to share a little (or a lot) about yourself and, in the process, get to understand yourself or at least bring back some happy memories.

I'll give a little example (covering from highschool until now):

When I first started highschool, There was a great shift in the entertainment that I enjoyed. Simply put, I was growing up and the children's stuff that had carried me through previous years was usurped by entertainment that was more suited to someone who had aged. For the most part, I stopped watching television and started reading advanced literature. I Read Catch-22 and Stephen Ambrose's "D-day", which respecively got me into 60/70s writers like Vonnegut, Heinlein, and Pynchon and got me into thurough WWII history books. During the beginning of Senior year, there was a great resurgence in reading and soon, my floors were covered in books and I suddenly became the go to guy for WWII history.

In terms of gaming, my parents let me get M-rated titles (after seeing the game themselves) and thus I was blessed with "Company of Heroes", my favorite RTS title of all time, and Bioshock, one of my favorite FPS titles of all time. I also got a wii, but after a few years, I stopped playing it in favor of my dad's XBOX 360. In 2008, one of my friends got me Team Fortress 2 on PC for my birthday and that was my introduction to PC gaming. I got Left 4 Dead for chirstmas that year, which along with TF2 would be a staple of my online gaming life in highschool. Along with games such as L4D2, supreme commander 2, company of heroes, and Battlefield: bad company 2, PC gaming took up a large portion of my social life (cuz all my friends gamed).

At the beginning of Highschool, Naruto had started playing on Cartoon Network, which sowed the seed of anime/manga in me. I had already been exposed to Anime through CN's Toonami, where I watched stuff like DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, and a few Hiyao Miazaki films. Soon I got so
much into Naruto that I spent and entire summer watching all of the subbed episodes from the first series on youtube, which also lead to my watching of Neon Genesis Evangelion and the End of Evangelion movie. I eventually started reading the manga version of Naruto via my public library, where I got into stuff like Fullmetal alchemist, case closed, and the uncensored version of Ruroni Kenshin. Via the reviewers at that guy with the glasses, I really got into Anime/manga again. I found free anime/manga sites to view stuff at my leisure and this culminated in my reading of the entirety of the Elfen Lied manga during the time when I was supposed to be studying for the Physics AP.

During the beginning of Highschool, I was introduced to Heavy metal music via one of my friends, when he introduced me to Rammstein videos on youtube. Soon I got, their albums "Mutter" and "Reise, Reise" and it was the only thing I listened to until I got sick of them (about 3 year later). By then, I got a couple of their other album and was introduced to other Heavy metal bands via my friends (bands like Sabaton and Nightwish) or by youtube (stuff like Opeth and Ensiferum). In senior year, I discovered a heavy metal store in the area which I raided a couple times and have never regreted it.

Your stories don't have to be this long; feel free to write as much as you want.

Basics have been, games, games, anime, games, raging at football, games, anime, raging at nfl, raging at more football, games and games.

Not a great story or even a lot of variety, but thats the gist of it all.

Although nowadays I have been raging at football a lot more (Liverpool are a joke, Dalglish Out!! ect), but ive also taken a keen interest in raging at politics and raging at the general population of britain as a whole. It passes the time and raises the blood pressure.

Books books books games books walking dead books comic comic comic book comic manga anime book book book book book book walking dead tv internet anime manga book. I like to read.

Games, movies, games, movies, more games, more movies, some football, more games.

wooty:

(Liverpool are a joke)

*cocks shotgun* You may want to think about what you just said.

To sum it up- it's mostly tv/ cartoons and then follow by games and abit of music in my High school years.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
Games, movies, games, movies, more games, more movies, some football, more games.

wooty:

(Liverpool are a joke)

*sharpens pitchfork* I'm with you on that one.

Jazoni89:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

wooty:

(Liverpool are a joke)

*raises Glock 17s* I don't care what you ladies are fighting over, but if any of you raise another weapon in here, you're losing your hands.
Anywho. my path of entertainment: Books, more books, movies, games, more games, even more games, repeat games x3, movies, games, books recently, and still games.

Cartoons and PS1/PS2 games until year 9, insomniac pretty much owning my childhood there, Then I lost years of my life to World of Warcraft, quit after developing a crippling case of self confidence issues, wasted my life watching shounen anime, got addicted to MW2, quit that for rage-induced reasons after 6 months, went back to wow for a few months, quit, started watching good story based anime, then I got into story based games starting with Mass Effect, and now I'm here reading visual novels.

/End abuse of commas.

My time tends to be consumed more by video game related forums than video games themselves these days. Also facebook.

The SNES and SNES era jRPGs shaped my entire life permanently.

Toonami helped turn me into a weeaboo. But still.

There's a point where you realize you've hit a turning point in who you are and what you want out of life that there's no going back.

Everything else is just a base on the rock. No matter how much other human beings might despise me or call me names.

wooty:

(Liverpool are a joke, Dalglish Out!! ect),

Are we going to have a problem here?

Rawne1980:

wooty:

A fellow Scouse?
Or well I can't call myself a scouse since I am not from Liverpool but I got into Liverpool through Sami Hyypiä who now is the manager of Bayer Leverkusen and soon the new Manager of Liverpool!!!
So yeah Finnish LFC supporter here and got into LFC through Sami!

On Topic:
Raging at Football, games, books, movies, working out, books, movies, football, football, working out, working out, books etc... So yeah, great life xD

Oh and the Internet of course!

If you excuse me I must go open a stream to the Newcastle - Liverpool game...

Rawne1980:

wooty:

Haha, Im not trying to "flame" at all, I am a 'pool fan and resident, and while I dont want to sidetrack this guys thread, lets just say im not impressed with the teams performances and the managers attitude after games. Not the season it was built up to be.

Jazoni89:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

wooty:

(Liverpool are a joke)

Oooh dear, stirred up a real hornets nest in here......*shakes nest*

But in all seriousness, its been a pretty dismal season from the one that was promised us in the summer.

Movies...and reading

the gaming thing is relitivly recent (I always loved games but I was never "into" them when I was younger...due ot circumstance mostly) I was really lucky in that I got a laptop capable of plying current gen games (more or less) I wanted to try bioshock because it looked interesting..it blew my mind and whatever it was I have been searching for it ever since (I found it in Mass effect, portal..ect)

Ive more or less recetnly discovered Comic books...I always wondered why they were rather "niche"

aparently there was some crash back in 96 that the industry "still" hasnt recovered from

anyway I ALWAYS wanted to read V for vendetta (I didnt realise I DIDNT have to puy the expensive "absolute" hardcover ecyclopedia size thing if I ever wanted to read it...no I dont know if thye got them after but affordable standard paperbacks existed...oh well..it looks nice on my shelf)

then looking at a secondhand bookshop I found "Arkham Asylum:living hell" it looked cool (it was..and disturbing) then I foudn this random trade paperback "Transmetropolitan" at the time i thourght the comic was called "vertigo"...

turns out it was rather brilliant

Reading and gaming take up most of my time. I picked up reading after my dad read the first few Harry Potter books to me when I was little and I think I got into 'serious gaming' because of my cousin.

Does the internet count?
I guess the internet has shaped me the most, but for generic entertainment I'd say games or cartoons. Games because they opened my eyes to how these 'kid's toys' can be artistic and amazing, and cartoons because I've become less cynical thanks to ponies.

Reading has been the main love of my life since before I can truly remember. The Redwall series by Brian Jacques in particular really captured my imagination at a young age. Started reading serious books (IE grade level 8+) at around age 9, tended to consume one 3-500ish page novel within about a week basically until I graduated from high school, by which point many of my favorite books had been reread so many times they were ragged as all hell. I still laugh at the memory of one of my middle school teachers' expression when I asked for help with a puzzling french term in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (P.S. If you haven't read it, it is an excellent book, but somewhat difficult to understand, and incredibly depressing as well, its relation to Disney's version pretty much only shares the name.)

I briefly flirted with model rockets, but couldn't find a venue for it after moving away from Indiana, I then moved on to model ships and planes for a time before losing patience with them.

First console I played with was the original Nintendo, followed shortly by the N64. Super Smash Brothers was my favorite game at the time, got very good at playing with Samus Aran for a character. Since then I've mainly moved to the PC for video game entertainment. There's just something about enjoying a game on a system you assembled and tuned with your own hands...

In terms of TV and movies, I don't tend to watch an incredible amount of either. Star Trek:TNG and later, Star wars, Frasier, Third Rock From The Sun, Lie to Me, and X-Files pretty much complete the list of visual media IPs that I watch repeatedly. It looks like I'll be adding Game of Thrones to that list, but there needs to be a bit more of it actually out first.

For sports, I played soccer/football for several years up until the beginning of my first growth spurts, at which point I ceased to really be agile enough to keep it up, even in defensive positions. I didn't play any sports for a while after that before going on to play defensive lineman for my high school for a few seasons. Had a particularly proud moment when myself and my two partners in crime stopped four running plays in row dead while inside our own five yard line. They should have gone for a pass, that was the only way they got so close to begin with anyways.

Trippy Turtle:
Reading and gaming take up most of my time. I picked up reading after my dad read the first few Harry Potter books to me when I was little and I think I got into 'serious gaming' because of my cousin.

... damnit, stop making me feel old

Popadoo:
Does the internet count?
I guess the internet has shaped me the most, but for generic entertainment I'd say games or cartoons. Games because they opened my eyes to how these 'kid's toys' can be artistic and amazing, and cartoons because I've become less cynical thanks to ponies.

Sure it does. I've spent countless hours on sites like That Guy With the Glasses, Gametrailers, Cracked, The Escapist (duh), serebii, and smogon. Hell, much of the stuff I've enjoyed is due to reviewers on various sites.

Vault101:
Movies...and reading

the gaming thing is relitivly recent (I always loved games but I was never "into" them when I was younger...due ot circumstance mostly) I was really lucky in that I got a laptop capable of plying current gen games (more or less) I wanted to try bioshock because it looked interesting..it blew my mind and whatever it was I have been searching for it ever since (I found it in Mass effect, portal..ect)

Ive more or less recetnly discovered Comic books...I always wondered why they were rather "niche"

aparently there was some crash back in 96 that the industry "still" hasnt recovered from

anyway I ALWAYS wanted to read V for vendetta (I didnt realise I DIDNT have to puy the expensive "absolute" hardcover ecyclopedia size thing if I ever wanted to read it...no I dont know if thye got them after but affordable standard paperbacks existed...oh well..it looks nice on my shelf)

then looking at a secondhand bookshop I found "Arkham Asylum:living hell" it looked cool (it was..and disturbing) then I foudn this random trade paperback "Transmetropolitan" at the time i thourght the comic was called "vertigo"...

turns out it was rather brilliant

From what I heard from guys like moviebob, the crash was caused by an oversaturation of "mature"(suitable only for the immature) comics that weren't very kid friendly. Without a fanbase of children, the comic book industry lost much of their growth and the void was filled with the anime/manga boom.

The only comic I've really read was the watchmen, which I made the mistake of reading when I was in a bad mood.

sextus the crazy:

From what I heard from guys like moviebob, the crash was caused by an oversaturation of "mature"(suitable only for the immature) comics that weren't very kid friendly. Without a fanbase of children, the comic book industry lost much of their growth and the void was filled with the anime/manga boom.

The only comic I've really read was the watchmen, which I made the mistake of reading when I was in a bad mood.

hoo boy....watchmen

also from what ive read there was a huge craze with the "collectible" side of things (somthing to do with how they released comics) and a thing with the distributors

also comics seem downright confusing for an outsider to get into (the fact that I started reading at 20)..did you know what there are comics that arnt just superheros? I didnt know that

My obsession has always been music, so I won't bore you people with that.

Graphic novels, or whatever they are called now, have always intrigued me. I read The Sandman years ago, and have been picking them up again since I lost my originals. When I grab a copy when I get the time I always check out the latest ones, and pick up some comics while I'm there.

Penguin: Pain & Prejudice is fantastic and freaking insane.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked