Weird "head popping" in the middle of the night.

I hope I don't have brain damage or something. And maybe I should be asking somewhere else first, or even seeing a doctor.

But I've notice in the past few years, that at least a few times a month, as falling asleep or when already asleep, I have a weird sensation that wakes me up.

Not literally my head "popping" or exploding, or I wouldn't be alive. But the sensation certainly feels like it. I get a sudden loud "bang" feeling that rings throughout my mind. And not just my ears. And it also doesn't sounds like I've actually heard something, but just in my head. Family members can also verify, they haven't heard anything. So it's all in my head and not me reacting to external stimuli strongly. Or at least not sound.

It's also not just the sensation of a loud "bang" sound, but it feels like a "bang" by all my senses. Like a tremor going throughout my whole body, but mainly my brain. It feels like a gunshot and I twitch and wake up. Not that I'd know what a gunshot feels like, but it's a major surge in my brain that replicates the feeling I get when I hear a lot bang. I also usually know enough to realize I was dream or thinking of something while sleeping just before it, and my brain basically BSoDs. I lock up and get this huge bang sensation and twitch as I wake up.

I feel literally disoriented, in a little pain, and as if my head is just going to fall apart. But mostly it's just startling. Again, it's almost like someone shot me in the head. I get a huge bang and sometimes my head moves to the other side of the bed, as if someone kicked it, because I twitch so hard.

Last night I got much the same thing, except this time for once, instead of a 'bang', it was more of a 'zap'. It felt like I was being electrically shocked and a current was going from my brain to my fingertips.

That would make it sound like some kind of nervous system thing. But the odd thing is, it seems to be emotionally variant. As it happens much more often when I'm feeling particularly depressed. Or maybe not "depressed", but filled with some kind of woe or something is bothering me. It's as if, like normal for the brain, my mind is trying to sort through the issues I'm facing throughout the day and come up with a solution in my dreams or otherwise sleeping, but runs into an "illegal operation" error and just freezes up and reboots. Creating a huge "bang" or maybe occasionally more "zap" sensation.

It can't be something as serious as a seizure. I know that. But I wonder if it could be something similar? If it helps to understand things, I already have other neurological problems, such as obsessive compulsive disorder.

Also, other than sometimes causing a little bit of loss of sleep. It otherwise doesn't harm my life that I notice. Is it worth seeing a doctor about? I'd hate to bother a doctor and pay money for something that seems so trivial.

Also, does this happen to anyone else here? Surely I cannot be alone. Otherwise I'll feel really special like a snowflake.

Have you been under a lot of stress lately, then you might have a early case of exploding head syndrome, because it fits the description perfectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

It's not as bad as it sounds, but I would definitely see a doctor for medication.

The best I can do is play wikipedia doctor

Aside from having a hilarious name, this is the closest comparison I know of.
Of course, it's not an exact match, and it's frickin wikipedia quoted to you from a stranger on the internet, so, yeah.

If it is actually causing pain and/or disorientation, it's probably worth seeing a doctor.
I wouldn't run screaming towards the hospital for something that's been happening for years, but getting things like that checked out is usually a good idea.

EDIT: The internet loves funny names. Ninja'd

Jazoni89:
Have you been under a lot of stress lately, then you might have a early case of exploding head syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

It's not as bad as it sounds, but I would definitely see a doctor for medication.

Wow, that sounds EXACTLY like what I'm going through. On every single detail.

Thanks, I'm glad I asked. I'm surprised I've never heard of it before. Yes, I definitely have "exploding head syndrome", what a funny name.

It would be insult to people with actually stressful lives to say that I have it bad. I'd say I'm the average citizen right now who is a bit worried about their job and the economy. Most of my problems are emotionally related to other matters. Biphobia. Friends who are engaging in self harm. Things that people on the internet would consider me whiny and annoying over if I made a big deal about it.

But apparently it's enough for me to have this "head exploding" thing. What a fascinating topic. Anyone else here have this "exploding head syndrome" thing?

LilithSlave:
I hope I don't have brain damage or something. And maybe I should be asking somewhere else first, or even seeing a doctor.

But I've notice in the past few years, that at least a few times a month, as falling asleep or when already asleep, I have a weird sensation that wakes me up.

Not literally my head "popping" or exploding, or I wouldn't be alive. But the sensation certainly feels like it. I get a sudden loud "bang" feeling that rings throughout my mind. And not just my ears. And it also doesn't sounds like I've actually heard something, but just in my head. Family members can also verify, they haven't heard anything. So it's all in my head and not me reacting to external stimuli strongly. Or at least not sound.

It's also not just the sensation of a loud "bang" sound, but it feels like a "bang" by all my senses. Like a tremor going throughout my whole body, but mainly my brain. It feels like a gunshot and I twitch and wake up. Not that I'd know what a gunshot feels like, but it's a major surge in my brain that replicates the feeling I get when I hear a lot bang. I also usually know enough to realize I was dream or thinking of something while sleeping just before it, and my brain basically BSoDs. I lock up and get this huge bang sensation and twitch as I wake up.

I feel literally disoriented, in a little pain, and as if my head is just going to fall apart. But mostly it's just startling. Again, it's almost like someone shot me in the head. I get a huge bang and sometimes my head moves to the other side of the bed, as if someone kicked it, because I twitch so hard.

Last night I got much the same thing, except this time for once, instead of a 'bang', it was more of a 'zap'. It felt like I was being electrically shocked and a current was going from my brain to my fingertips.

That would make it sound like some kind of nervous system thing. But the odd thing is, it seems to be emotionally variant. As it happens much more often when I'm feeling particularly depressed. Or maybe not "depressed", but filled with some kind of woe or something is bothering me. It's as if, like normal for the brain, my mind is trying to sort through the issues I'm facing throughout the day and come up with a solution in my dreams or otherwise sleeping, but runs into an "illegal operation" error and just freezes up and reboots. Creating a huge "bang" or maybe occasionally more "zap" sensation.

It can't be something as serious as a seizure. I know that. But I wonder if it could be something similar? If it helps to understand things, I already have other neurological problems, such as obsessive compulsive disorder.

Also, other than sometimes causing a little bit of loss of sleep. It otherwise doesn't harm my life that I notice. Is it worth seeing a doctor about? I'd hate to bother a doctor and pay money for something that seems so trivial.

Also, does this happen to anyone else here? Surely I cannot be alone. Otherwise I'll feel really special like a snowflake.

Exploding head syndrome, I have it quite rarely and not very severely. I am thinking then I hear one of the words as though it was an actual noise coming through a megaphone right next to me and my imaginary ears ring for a second.

I just asked the girl i'm seeing who also has it. I get it from time to time too, I thing its normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hmm, I had a little teeny tiny bit of this just a few minutes ago. I think I've had a little bit of this my whole life, but never actually bothered to look it up. I was slowly starting to drift back into sleep after waking up at 9:30 and I was having a lucid dream about flying into space and diving into the sun. I was trying to imagine how hot it would feel, when my brain seem to say "no you can't do that" and I heard a loud electrical buzz that pulled me out of it. In the past, I've also heard whispered words and the sound of someone dropping a book on the ground. For me, it seems to be a variation on hypnic jerks, which I have frequently. Those suck.

LilithSlave:
snip

As people have said, it could be exploding head syndrome (which seems worth having purely to be able to say you have exploding head syndrome)

If you don't mind my asking, what sort of environment(s) do you live and work in?

Somewhere with a lot of noise? Traffic areas, maybe some bastarding loud construction? Do you attend loud music gigs or raves, or just over do the volume on your ipod?

If you've been in really loud environments it could have damaged your ear drums, to the point where they start picking up small noises from inside your own body, as opposed to filtering them out like they're meant to. It would only happen in quiet conditions so an external source didn't disrupt it, so if it's a sleep thing, that's a possibility.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked