Best movie soundtrack?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well, simple really. What do you think is the best soundtrack ever put under a movie?
For me, there can only be one winner: Titanic. It's as instantly recognizable as it is good.

The Shawshank Redemption.

Absolutely brilliant soundtrack for an absolutely brilliant film.

Brooks was here.

The Lord of the Rings Soundtrack. Howard shore is a genius.

I know everyone uses this too often, but it really is great:

Oooh that's difficult!

I'm going to say the 28 Days Later soundtrack. Especially this track

This song is played during the climactic scene and it just fits it so goddam well. Actually gives me goosebumps without fail every time at 2:15.

Honourable Mentions;

127 Hours - Especially 'Liberation'
I see that LOTR has already been mentioned - I particularly love the bit from 2:00-3:15 in 'A Journey in the Dark'
Moon - The main track and 'Memories' are great
The Inception Soundtrack. DUMMM DUUUUUUUUUUUUMM DUUUUM DUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMM!
I'd also say Requiem for a Dream, but it's so horrendously overused now that I don't enjoy it anymore :( It was on fucking Panorama the other day!
The Bourne films
Bladerunner, obvs
Sunshine
There Will Be Blood

"I'm Finished!"

(Will anyone notice the joke?)

Edit:

Toaster Hunter:

Pinkie-Pie-Party:
I know everyone uses this too often, but it really is great:

Snap!

Right now I'm way too hooked to Drive's soundtrack to think clearly.

Inception for me.

Keep in mind that it makes everything epic. And that was just the trailer music.

Proverbial Jon:
Are you aware that Zack Hemsey only composed the trailer theme? The Inception movie soundtrack was actually by composed by Hans Zimmer. Not that it makes your choice any less valid, Hans Zimmer's music is awesome!

I was really saying that if you liked the trailer music, chances are you're going to love the actual movie's soundtrack, since they're both composed in a similar way. And thanks for telling me that, I didn't know Zack Hemsey only did the trailer music, I thought he and Zimmer co-operated in the entire thing. And Hans Zimmer is awesome.

Highlander.

seriously its virtually a whole original Queen album full of "hits" and there's very few that compare to that from a certain pov...ie mine as a Queen fan :P

from an orchestral score pov i'd certainly go along with LOTR.

Anything Clint Mansell touches is usually gold.
Ones that come to mind:

Overall soundtrack favorites on the top of my head (and I'll prolly get shit for this considering most Escapist tastes), I think would be Attack the Block, 8 Mile, and Slumdog Millionaire

edit: Granted, this is excluding most animated movies, since having an awesome soundtrack is almost a guarantee in that genre.

I really hate Clint Mansell. His music is so overwrought and pretentious. Can't stand Requiem for a Dream, and the Mass Effect 3 Piano leitmotif just shrieks "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FEEL SAD AT THIS SCENE, PLEASE VIEW DYING CHILD AND BE SAD."

Now, there can only be the late Basil Poledouris.

Scott pilgrim music.
It's actually jiztastic.

While it wasn't an original soundtrack made for the film, Watchmen's was pretty sweet.
I mean, Sound of Silence, Unforgettable, Ride of the Valkyries and Hallelujah, just to name a few.

Soviet Heavy:

Now, there can only be the late Basil Poledouris.

You win.

Or, should we make it a tie as...

I guess it would be Pirates of the Caribbean, Lion King & Inception for me.

The Judgement Night soundtrack at the time was pretty original

Blade Runner, Vangelis is a genius, probably the most influential soundtrack ever.
Sunshine, John Murphy's best work in my oppinion.
2001: A Space Odyssey, a great classic soundtrack that perfectly fits the tone of the film.
A Clockwork Orange, Another amazing classical soundtrack.
Lord Of The Rings, epic and completes the movie in my oppinion.
Akira, works amazing, does the opposite of Blade Runner, instead of using synths to get the futuristic feel there is alot of percussion etc.
Brazil, the main theme is Iconic although I dont think it was written for the film originally.

Sleekit:
Highlander.

seriously its virtually a whole original Queen album full of "hits" and there's very few that compare to that from a certain pov...ie mine as a Queen fan :P

from an orchestral score pov i'd certainly go along with LOTR.

You saw the sequel, right? Wasn't it amazing?

Lost Boys....

I rest my case.

Probably this. Really love this soundtrack.

No one's said Moon? You're upsetting Gerty, you monsters. I was very happy to hear they got this guy in to do Mass Effect 3's soundtrack.

Wow, I honestly thought this thread would be entirely populated with the Tron soundtrack as the majority of answers. I'm not entirely sure what I'd pick, do musicals count?

Once Upon a Time in the West: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Q8h-fDfEI
Once Upon a Time in America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jFrXO22_o
The Third Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEsWi88Qv0&feature=related
On Her Majesty's Secret Service: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJnK-uWbfQ
Vertigo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC5AzFc3coo
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQGGQ-FCe_w
Princess Mononoke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdctS6E97hA

And these are just the original compositions! Movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Pulp Fiction, and Goodfellas have plenty of classic music in them too.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End has a great soundtrack.

Many of it's orchestral movements are derived from the first film, but Hans Zimmer added tons of additional layers and atmosphere making it sound hyper beautiful and epic.

Toaster Hunter:

Dammit, ninja'd.
Apocalypse now gets an honourable mention for the Ride of the Valkyries and This is the End.

Pirates of the Caribbean has some beautiful music throughout all three movies. Also, Dark Knight.

probably can't pick a favourite so here's something amazing.

How To Train Your Dragon has an awesome soundtrack. Otherwise LOTR, or anything by John Williams, he's a genius.

I really liked the Jurassic Park Soundtrack. It's become a running gag with my friends to throw our hands in the air during the major crescendo around the middle of the song

Hmmmmm... wow, that's a tough one. I can think of hundreds of movies with great soundtracks, but a more recent one that I really liked was Megamind. I mean, it had Back In Black, Highway To Hell, Crazy Train, Welcome To The Jungle, and they all fit perfectly!

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut definitely deserves a mention as well. There wasn't one bad song in it really.

Original music... probably Gladiator... I love those themes!

Unoriginal: Either 500 days of Summer, Sucker Punch or Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels.

Heavy Metal had some really good music:

Remember the Titans: Trevor Rabin - Titans Spirit

I'm going to vote James Horner for Avatar's soundtrack. It may have looked stunning but Avatar would have been nothing without Horner's strong soundtrack. I can picture Pandora perfectly in my mind just by listening to this score, it's so beautiful, violent and tragic. We'll just forget about that awful track by Leona Lewis shall we?

Honourable mentions for Horner's Titanic as well. Ultimate respect for keeping an Irish vibe throughout the whole soundtrack. The ship may have been conceived by a Liverpudlian company but it was built by Irish hands.

Aerosteam 1908:
Inception for me. Keep in mind that it makes everything epic. And that was just the trailer music.

Are you aware that Zack Hemsey only composed the trailer theme? The Inception movie soundtrack was actually by composed by Hans Zimmer. Not that it makes your choice any less valid, Hans Zimmer's music is awesome!

Toaster Hunter:

Agreed. As far as fitting music to a particular setting goes, Howard Shore had it down to a very fine art with TLOTR.

Star Wars no doubt, Funny enough though the soundtrack has become so well known that it's hardly considered a soundtrack anymore but more an pop culture icon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked