The death of.....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Is this site dying or at the very least slowing down? I have noticed a rapid decline in users and threads. I'm not tying to do one of those "ITS THE END OF (whatever)" overly dramatic things; It's just something I noticed.

If you do think it's slowing down what would you say is the cause? Is it the user base or maybe the stupid captcha? What do you think, and what could make the site better?

Don't give people warnings for getting into arguments with other people. All arguments can not be lumped together. You know I got into it with this guy one time and we were not calling eachother names or using bad language. Not even like it went on for that long either. After I came back, there was a warning for me. Little things like this that piss me off and make me hate this website.

Everyone's just busy serving ban sentences as a result of all the Mass Effect 3 controversy. Give it approximately 14 days.

Shit, I actually think it's the opposite.

You're seeing a decline in thread quality because everyone posts the same damn thread (and when a good thread does come up, it gets buried under people bumping those same damn threads). I would guess that the traffic numbers for the site are high, just there's less traffic in the threads because everyone's sick of the same topic coming up with the same arguments coming up with the same blah blah blah blaaaah.

New content is constantly being added to the site and some big names are coming in (I count Jim Sterling as a big name at least...)

I've been here for four years and have never gotten in trouble once (I sure as hell have tip-toed that line though). I have been a firm believer that the Mods of this board are the reason that this site runs as smoothly as it does. I have to give the benefit of the doubts The Escapist on the "I didn't deserve that warning!" complaints (nothing personal).

Has The Escapist made mistakes? Of course and these mistakes are going to drive people away but this site seems to know how to get its act together and learn from it's mistakes.

Or maybe the other side of the ship is on fire and I just don't realize it because I'm looking at the iceberg we're about to hit...

Shawn MacDonald:
Don't give people warnings for getting into arguments with other people. All arguments can not be lumped together. You know I got into it with this guy one time and we were not calling eachother names or using bad language. Not even like it went on for that long either. After I came back, there was a warning for me. Little things like this that piss me off and make me hate this website.

I think that's a reasonable complaint. If your not allowed to debate, or discuss issues what good is the forum? Also, the threads I have gone to where basically everyone just agrees with each other are boring.

TheVioletBandit:
Also, the threads I have gone to where basically everyone just agrees with each other are boring.

I agree

f
f
f
f
f
f
f
f
f
f

Just kidding haha

On Topic: This is like the 5th thread I've seen on this since 2012, all by different people. The forums ebb and flow, sometimes there's new stuff, and sometimes there's nothing

tippy2k2:

You're seeing a decline in thread quality because everyone posts the same damn thread. I would guess that the traffic numbers for the site are high, just there's less traffic in the threads because everyone's sick of the same topic coming up with the same arguments coming up with the same blah blah blah blaaaah.

I've been here for four years and have never gotten in trouble once (I sure as hell have tip-toed that line though). I have been a firm believer that the Mods of this board are the reason that this site runs as smoothly as it does.

Has The Escapist made mistakes? Of course and these mistakes are going to drive people away but this site seems to know how to get its act together and learn from it's mistakes.

Or maybe the other side of the ship is on fire and I just don't realize it because I'm looking at the iceberg we're about to hit...

You never gotten in trouble, not even once? that's pretty impressive. I have had one warning, for what I can't recall. I agree that the thread quality has been in decline. I have tried coming up with more creative topics, but people have seemed uninterested in them. Unless it's controversial or about sex it seems hard to grab peoples attention.

TheVioletBandit:

tippy2k2:

You're seeing a decline in thread quality because everyone posts the same damn thread. I would guess that the traffic numbers for the site are high, just there's less traffic in the threads because everyone's sick of the same topic coming up with the same arguments coming up with the same blah blah blah blaaaah.

I've been here for four years and have never gotten in trouble once (I sure as hell have tip-toed that line though). I have been a firm believer that the Mods of this board are the reason that this site runs as smoothly as it does.

You never gotten in trouble, not even once? that's pretty impressive. I have had one warning, for what I can't recall. I agree that the thread quality has been in decline. I have tried coming up with more creative topics, but people have seemed uninterested in them. Unless it's controversial or about sex it seems hard to grab peoples attention.

I haven't got a single warning either... and that is over 1000 posts! (including being sucked into a couple of arguements... I just make sure I argue with logic points, and without being petty!)

I don't think it is decreasing... just look at how mant pages of topics are posted in each day!! Loads!

its what ive nick named forum effect 3 enough with the fucking mass effect
give it time and it will pass, were also at the start of the summer game drought with no new exiting games being released and the old games have got less interesting with time, so we have less to talk about so traffic slows

one thing the escapist could do better is to show newest comments first as i just dont bother posting 1/2 the time when a post reaches 2nd page because i dont think anyone will bother to read it (i dont look at 2nd page topics unless its a thread i made) and maybe have a up vote/down vote thing for comments like FB does

also dont flame me or stomp on my face but the escapist community can come of a bit snobbish/humourless/elitist and that probably puts people of joining

xSKULLY:
its what ive nick named forum effect 3 enough with the fucking mass effect
give it time and it will pass, were also at the start of the summer game drought with no new exiting games being released and the old games have got less interesting with time, so we have less to talk about so traffic slows

one thing the escapist could do better is to show newest comments first as i just dont bother posting 1/2 the time when a post reaches 2nd page because i dont think anyone will bother to read it (i dont look at 2nd page topics unless its a thread i made) and maybe have a up vote/down vote thing for comments like FB does

also dont flame me or stomp on my face but the escapist community can come of a bit snobbish/humourless/elitist and that probably puts people of joining

You took the words right out of my mouth; especially with the "snobbish/humorless/elitist thing. That is pretty much my biggest problem with this forum.

Elementary - Dear Watson:

TheVioletBandit:

tippy2k2:

I haven't got a single warning either... and that is over 1000 posts! (including being sucked into a couple of arguements... I just make sure I argue with logic points, and without being petty!)

I don't think it is decreasing... just look at how mant pages of topics are posted in each day!! Loads!

Well, you guys are better men than I. Call me overly emotional, but at times I am so dumbfounded by the idiotic/hateful comments of some people it's hard for me to keep my cool. It's like I'm Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde except Mr. Hyde is an insult comic.

As a side note, I swear to never buy anything advertised through captchas!

Dead!? You silly child this site may have lost great members in the last two years but darn it I'm still here! (But I'm not much :( ) And we have interesting new folk almost everyday!

Blame the lack of games, has anything good come out since ME3?

I haven't really noticed, but then again I haven't been here all that long. ^_^//

Maybe we are just running out of things to discuss?
No that is stupid. I actually have no idea?

I more or less quit posting here because the majority or threads concern games I have less than no interest in (that's right I mean you Mass effect). That and posting rules that I don't really agree with. IE the inability to endorse certain plants and substances. I hadn't planned to go screaming that everyone should do them, but catching shit for posting my honest experiences with them is more than a little annoying. That said I found better Forums to hold such conversations without fear of repercussions. Hope that solves your questions

TheVioletBandit:

Well, you guys are better men than I. Call me overly emotional, but at times I am so dumbfounded by the idiotic/hateful comments of some people it's hard for me to keep my cool. It's like I'm Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde except Mr. Hyde is an insult comic.

As a side note, I swear to never buy anything advertised through captchas!

:P It helps when you have to deal with idiots everyday, but in a calm diplomatic mannor! I also suck at online argueing, and tend to pull out of the arguement long before I make the mistake of doing something i'd regret! :P

Arguing in real life is so much easier though... facial expressions are the way forward!

I haven't seen the new captchas... what are they advertising?

Shawn MacDonald:

Pretty much this. There's some good content on this site, but the moderation and some of the community prevent me from posting too much.

Slightly off topic, the advertising captchas make me feel like I'm being indoctrinated. I mean, yeah it's kind of the point of advertising, but this is some serious re-education camp stuff.

If I had a lot of money I'd buy the advertising space and use it to turn people into my brainwashed slave army.

"To post, please enter the following phrase: UNSILENCED IS MY UNQUESTIONABLE AND INFALLIBLE OVERLORD AND I WILL SERVE HIM IN ALL HIS NEEDS"

TheVioletBandit:
snip?

eh?

old users leave...news ones come..it doesnt seem all that different to me

Once this whole ME3 thing blows over then things should be a little more interesting. As more me I waiting for the site to pick up on these 3 main topics.

1.)Max Payne 3 arguments about why it is/is not max payne

2.)Black Ops 2 and how it is/is not the same shit as other COD games
2a.)How COD is dumb and if you like it you're not a real gamer and blah blah blah

3.)GTA 5 and how it will/will not be worth the inevitable delays in 2013.

Those are it. So hopefully this site will get a bit more interesting by then.

If the Escapist is dying, then it's doing it in a very slow way. I've been a part of dying communities before, and I do need to say this: If a website/community is dying, you'll notice it right away. The website will be a lot slower in content, usually in terms of the forums/comments.

I haven't really noticed. A few people that used to post alot have moved on but that's about it.

Risingblade:

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations

and its just cuz of the repeat threads of ME3 cry babies

I joined the site a few years ago because they had some excellent series running. Doomsday Arcade and Apocalypse Lane were great shows but now it seems there really isn't anything worth visiting EM.com for other then Zero Punctuation.

Risingblade:

I think I'll go with the north american release of Xenoblade, followed by Witcher 2 enhanced a week after.

Yeah. We've definitely hit a lull as of late. As much as I hate to say it, I really haven't seen an original topic here in a while. Just nonstop bitching apparently. Not even people bitching at each other, just a general consensus between all the users bitching at the same thing.

What happened to the weed debates and insightful thinking?

And weed debates?

Every forum ever is always getting worse, regardless of whether it actually is getting worse.

Zeckt:

Risingblade:

I think I'll go with the north american release of Xenoblade, followed by Witcher 2 enhanced a week after.

Those are out already? Damn I'm behind

Risingblade:

Zeckt:

Risingblade:

No no no, I mean Xenoblade comes out in a week and witcher 2 a week after. I hope THEY take some of the ME3 topics away ...

Zeckt:

Risingblade:

Zeckt:

No no no, I mean Xenoblade comes out in a week and witcher 2 a week after. I hope THEY take some of the ME3 topics away ...

I kinda doubt it, jrpg's are that popular on this forum and Witcher 2 already came out on PC it's just a port. So maybe a bunch of thread about why the PC version is superior would be the best we can hope for :/

This reminds me, I miss Maxthereaper.
Also it's not dying but I do notice more bans and suspensions.

Maybe people have something else to do?
I bet there'll be new and "old-new" users around all the time.
But I must say February was apretty active time for me here with laods of different threads but then came the ME3 thingy (haven't been into a single one of those threads) and hopefully April will go back to the February threading.

TheVioletBandit:

Shawn MacDonald:

I think that's a reasonable complaint. If your not allowed to debate, or discuss issues what good is the forum? Also, the threads I have gone to where basically everyone just agrees with each other are boring.

Debate is fine, when it devolves into poo flinging and name calling, then it's just insults and no longer a debate.

I don't think a decrease in forum traffic is a bad thing. I'd rather have a moderate sized userbase that I can recognise than a slew of repeat threads with endless unrecognisable users who just constantly reiterate the same idea because they haven't bothered to read anyone else's post. Not that it's their fault. It's just hard to get a sense of community when you can't tell one avatar from the next. I guess I'm saying I'd rather belong to the forum equivalent of a small town, rather than a big city where people barge past eachother and avoid eye contact, if you'll accept the analogy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked