What do you think of the worst swear word of all?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Swearing really isn't offensive in most parts of the UK.

We grow up with it.

Most folks use bad language as a punctuation mark.

Since I don't consider the racial slurs to be swears, cunt is the only swear that I'd check my company before I said it.

I don't find swear words offensive. Insults may or may not be offensive, swear words can be used in the form of an insult, or just in everyday life (e.g. Where the fuck are my mittens?). In other words, it's not the swear word I find offensive, but the use of it; (but I rarely find insults offensive either).

Cunt is far from the worst swear word of all time. This is coming from someone who has swear sentences in their country's original native language so no a word means nothing.

Some words just resonate worse with other people. My mum hates the word "bastard", which I dont see the problem with and keep saying it, which eventually leads to phones or tv remotes being hurled at me for it.

But cunt? I go to enough football matches for it to not even make sense anymore, just becomes another word at them things.

Other people tend to get offended by cunt the most. Also, it makes me laugh when people use the word "fag" in an attempt to offend. It's the most impotent insult in the world.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

TailstheHedgehog:
Obviously I didn't want to get a warning from our amazing administrators so I didn't actually include the word in the thread's title (and I'm a little hesitant to use the word here in case some poor kids scan this), but just wondering what the latest ideas are on the swear word that indicates a woman's genitals, commonly accepted as the most offensive swear world in the western world. I don't know whether to be proud of offended by that fact...

Mates of mine on XBL say it all the time whilst playing, every so often I tell them off but mostly I just let it slip by. Guess I'm not that offended by it, but I still kinda cringe inside whenever it is said so I can't be completely desensitised to it. It's definitely not a light swear word, however, and if somebody does say it I tend to make presumptions on who they are based on that language.

And hey, I can't bring myself to use it here! More because I'm frightened of administrator backlash, though.... which would indicate the word is still heavily regarded as taboo.

Depends on the target, IMO.

Backwards for conveinence
Asian: CIPS
Black: REGGIN
Hispanic: KCABTEW CHINC
Gay: TOGGAF
White: TIHS-FO-ECEIP GNIKCUF

Honestly, whites (like me) got it easy.

You know if your Hispanic, CIPS is also a word you can take offence to. I never really got it. If anything I thought the worst for Asian was KNIHC though I never used it so I wouldn't know.

I don't think "Cunt" is such a horrible word, but I far prefer to use the term "pussy" to describe a vagina. Sounds much warmer and more inviting.

"Cunt" is hard and short, which pretty accurately describes the sex lives of the people who usually use the word. BA DUM TISH!

Rawne1980:

We grow up with it.

This.
But my mother does hate `See You Next Tuesday` as she calls it. If you use it in her house she will literally make you sit on the stairs for as many minutes as you are old, no matter how old you are.

Generally gendered insults get my back up, its basically like saying `You're a woman and that is a bad thing`.
Bitch doesn't annoy me, though. Just because my family is mostly women and tend to use it as a form of greeting `Alright, bitch?`. It's never been insulting to me because of that.

neoontime:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

TailstheHedgehog:
Obviously I didn't want to get a warning from our amazing administrators so I didn't actually include the word in the thread's title (and I'm a little hesitant to use the word here in case some poor kids scan this), but just wondering what the latest ideas are on the swear word that indicates a woman's genitals, commonly accepted as the most offensive swear world in the western world. I don't know whether to be proud of offended by that fact...

Mates of mine on XBL say it all the time whilst playing, every so often I tell them off but mostly I just let it slip by. Guess I'm not that offended by it, but I still kinda cringe inside whenever it is said so I can't be completely desensitised to it. It's definitely not a light swear word, however, and if somebody does say it I tend to make presumptions on who they are based on that language.

And hey, I can't bring myself to use it here! More because I'm frightened of administrator backlash, though.... which would indicate the word is still heavily regarded as taboo.

Hispanic: KCABTEW CHINC

You know if your Hispanic, CIPS is also a word you can take offence to. I never really got it. If anything I thought the worst for Asian was KNIHC though I never used it so I wouldn't know.

There's also:
Jew: EKIK

TailstheHedgehog:
Especially because it's so unfair that a guy gets called a stud for sleeping around while a woman is looked down on.

the funniest explanation i saw of this was "if a key unlocks many locks, its a master key. if a lock is opened by many keys, its a crappy lock." unfair? of course, but it makes sense for about 3 seconds.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
[quote="SycoMantis91" post="18.361262.14199928"]Cunt is about as offensive as "nipple". It's a word that relates to a female sexual organ. Thats like dick for men. But I know I'm a dick and I'm proud

"Cunt" is about as offensive to me as "and". I really do not give a cunting fuck about all these bad words.

Granted, im not going to run around screaming it front of kids, but really, who cares? Its just a word. What happened to "sticks and stones..."?

They were banned in playgrounds for promoting violence.

Here in the Netherlands we have the disgusting tendency to curse with diseases, Cancer and Typhus being favorites. Personally I find it extremely distasteful.

Neaco:

TailstheHedgehog:
Especially because it's so unfair that a guy gets called a stud for sleeping around while a woman is looked down on.

the funniest explanation i saw of this was "if a key unlocks many locks, its a master key. if a lock is opened by many keys, its a crappy lock." unfair? of course, but it makes sense for about 3 seconds.

But if you unlock a lock without a key, you're a master of unlocking...

Also, @TailstheHedgehog: That's just false, we get as bad a rep for anything sexual we do and get unfairly persecuted as disloyal assholes because of what others in our gender do. I know many females who have friends and are well-liked as much BECAUSE of their "loose" tendencies as any other quality they may have.

JochemHippie:
Here in the Netherlands we have the disgusting tendency to curse with diseases, Cancer and Typhus being favorites. Personally I find it extremely distasteful.

isn't that usually the point of swear words, blow of steam by breaking social taboos. People use to blaspheme, until it lost its shock value, and then they started with the vulgarities, and i expect when people stop caring about that we'll move on to worse things.

Also i don't think c**t is the worst word. i know this because my flat made a swear jar to pay for washing up liquid etc. and one of my flatmates got around it by googling swear words to find ones that weren't on the list. It was quite eye-opening. The jar has since been abandoned.

Right, so cursing isn't just about a single bad word, it's a science! Like Alchemy!

So, you've got your basic components, which are the "bad words", so this is stuff like:
-Arse
-Bitch
-Dick
-Fuck
-Cunt
(and many others)

Which are perfectly serviceable as everyday naughty words, but to get a good curse, you need to combine it with a reagent, obviously, this is a precise science, and simply combining two cursewords together makes you look like an idiot, the trick is make a better version of an existing expletive using an unprofane, yet still kind of offensive term, for example: "Cuntmaggot".

SycoMantis91:

Neaco:

TailstheHedgehog:

Also, @TailstheHedgehog: That's just false, we get as bad a rep for anything sexual we do and get unfairly persecuted as disloyal assholes because of what others in our gender do. I know many females who have friends and are well-liked as much BECAUSE of their "loose" tendencies as any other quality they may have.

Yes of course, that's why there are so many negative words to describe promiscuous men, compared to women.

SycoMantis91:

Neaco:

TailstheHedgehog:

@Neaco Which is about the same amount of time the neanderthal mind that spend time coming up with crap spends on just about anything.
But is it wrong that I actually wanted to laugh in good humour at that? The stuff people spend their time on...

@Syco: I totes gotta disagree with you man, obviously I'm not gonna waste anyones time getting into the details but I've kinda seen this social reaction in action. The man got off scot-free, the girl lost a few friends. The blame went onto her. REALLY weird. Not to say men are off the hook all the time, however - cheating is wrong no matter what sex or sexuality you are.

But I think we've steered this boat a little off the current xD

TailstheHedgehog:

SycoMantis91:

Neaco:

@Neaco Which is about the same amount of time the neanderthal mind that spend time coming up with crap spends on just about anything.
But is it wrong that I actually wanted to laugh in good humour at that? The stuff people spend their time on...

@Syco: I totes gotta disagree with you man, obviously I'm not gonna waste anyones time getting into the details but I've kinda seen this social reaction in action. The man got off scot-free, the girl lost a few friends. The blame went onto her. REALLY weird. Not to say men are off the hook all the time, however - cheating is wrong no matter what sex or sexuality you are.

But I think we've steered this boat a little off the current xD

I don't think it's completely false, I just don't think it's a male-exclusive thing. I'd say I've seen both sides of that kind of situation happen as many times as the other.

To me, cunt is the worst of the swear words, and even now you can maybe get away with using it once in a TV show, and only then if it's deemed 'necessary'.

Seems many don't care, but I do feel life would be nicer if you weren't hearing offensive language in public for no good reason. It's not the words as such, it's that their usually an expression of hate or anger, and even when they're used casually, it can feel like that.

To me, there's something wrong when you hear swearing coming from kids of like 5 in public, even towards their own parents.

To counter all this, I agree that, at least to me, if I was having insults directed at me, I'd prefer to take cocksucking, motherfucking cunt over things like failure, coward, loser, etc, as they're actually intended to hit out at a personal weakness. For instance, you can call anyone a cunt, but 'sticky balding midget' is very specific and if you called a young tall woman that she'd just be confused, not insulted. (Tho I chose some generic ones so as not to give any future enemies fuel for later forum arguments :D )

ClockworkPenguin:

SycoMantis91:

Neaco:

Yes of course, that's why there are so many negative words to describe promiscuous men, compared to women.

Most of those words date back to an era in which women were forced into selling their bodies for profit. They were inherited and took on new meaning. That has no point in this (rather pointless since both sides will never agree) debate. Also, pig is a pretty strong one. You don't really need much more.

GoaThief:
cuntybollocks

Shshshsshshshhhh! Don't say that word out loud! Cuntybollocks might hear it!

On topic :D
Cunt said in jest I have no problem with, though I don't use it at all. Fuck (a word I do use on occasion) as an aggressive word is displeasing to my ears, but it relieves pent-up anger (yep, you guessed it - online gaming) ;) effectively.

I'd say the least-effective swear word is tits, bugger or bloody. They're's just commonplace in language and even seems trivial to me now.

I'm just not one for swearing where I can help it, I have bigger and better words to use (srsly). In fact, thinking up big words now and exonerated is one I don't know, but have heard it being used on TV: To be found innocent of a crime they had already been convicted of.
Cool.
Prosperous, that's a nice word, too.
Chivalrous. Intellectual, exquisite, inundated...

I figure myself a bit of an artist: Musically, contextually...contextually! Ahem, literately and such. I just don't like using simple generic words when there are so many situation-specific tailored words to use. I'm not one for learning all about adverbs, adjectives and crap, but to me language is like an art. Grammar is important but not law, you need it for the right contexts.

Doesn't mean I don't use swear words though, like I said. I'm all for it to let off a bit of steam.

With me and my friends at least, cunt is the big swear word. You throw around fuck, shit, bollocks, whatever, freely, it's not going to offend anybody. They're just words.

But cunt, cunt is used when you really mean it, when you're really genuinally pissed off. If someone uses cunt, that means shit just got real.

Belgium man, just Belgum.

I think "Nigger" used in an offensive manner is worse than "Cunt". You can get away with calling someone a cunt, but there are racist terms that are worse.

I wish I could find that tv episode the BBC did on the word "Cunt". It was informative, and refreshing to see them be able to use the word in a sentence on prime time TV. Sort of like how South Park was allowed to say "Shit", and just went to town in that one episode.

Cunt is so inoffensive. It's like calling me a vagina, I literally couldn't care less.

The words that are really disgusting though, are racial slurs.
Those words have real, offensive, horrible meanings and connotations behind them.
People that throw them around like they mean nothing - ESPECIALLY the people that aren't from the group of people the words are intended to insult - are, in my opinion, without morals.

If you can just casually use a word that encapsulates hundreds of years of hate and abuse as if it means nothing, I have zero respect for you. You're a bad person.

Swears don't bother me.

However in certain contexts calling someone Gay or a Fag, or use of the word Nigger can offend me.

EDIT: I don't find them offensive just because they're 'bad' words but because generally when they're used they make absolutely no sense, or because the persons vocabulary is too shallow to think of anything interesting to say.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Hispanic: KCABTEW

"Spic" refers to Spanish/Hispanics, not Asians and "Wetback" referrers to illegal Mexican immigrants (who got a wet back from swimming across the Rio Grande), not all people of Spanish descent.

Calling a Japanese person a "Spic" or a Argentine a "Wetback", whilst confusing, wouldn't really be offensive as it would only serve to highlight and magnify your own ignorance.

The only thing i've ever felt hestitant to call comeone is a "stillborn wannabe" because it's dark and potentially personal. It tends to be more discriptive phrases or personal comparisions that hold actually offensive capability. On a more boring level "cunt" is probably the worst.

if you're offended by such ludicrousness, think of as car as http://theoatmeal.com/comics/c_word points out

As a rule, I don't care about people swearing; tone is far more important, as a rule, than the supposed severity of language, for me at least.

People could be swearing their heads off in an enitrely friendly way, just as it's possible to be breathtakingly offensive and/or hostile without swearing.

I really hate the N-word..
And I'm not even black

I'm English, around here it is often used instead of punctuation by many people. Here is an example:

C1: "Fkin Ell ya cunt, ow ya been?!?!?"
C2: "Aight m8, ow's the missus ya cunt?!"

And so on. It amuses me that anyone would be greatly offended by the word.

I still thing "Fuck" is the grandaddy of all swear words out there, with "fag" being the most offensive these days.
"Nigger" is still really offensive, but I think "fag" trumps it currently.

As for "cunt", I really don't see why it is so insanely offensive. Most of the time whenever tells me it is super offensive, they say "just because it is" with no real evidence. "Fag" and "Nigger" I can see being offensive, the same goes with "fuck" being top tier profanity. But "cunt" ? I really don't get it.

Words themselves are not inherently offensive, its all to do with the context and feeling. Take any word you want put enough feeling behind it and it can be akin to conventional swearing. saying bollocks when things go wrong is the same as saying bother if it's said in the same way.

Rawne1980:

We grow up with it.

Liverpool FC profile pic. No wonder. :P

OT:
We're pretty foul-mouthed in the UK so it doesn't bother us. Go on youtube and look up 'Can't say cunt in Canada' by Kevin Bloody Wilson. Hilarious song.

Also, from what I've been told, most Australians don't give a toss either :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked