How would you improve the escapist?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

i would change the forum layout slightly by

1. showing newest comments first so everyone's comment gets seen and the conversations move's on, also i simply dont bother commenting 1/2 the time when a thread reaches its 2nd or 3rd page and not at all beyond that (unless its a thread i started or im quoting someone) because i dont think anyone will see it based on the fact that i dont look through more than 1 page of comments and sometimes not even that

2. having a like/dislike on comments in a Facebook style so if you agree with some one or just like their comment/post you can give it a like, if you disagree or dont like it you can dislike, this would also allow people to search threads by most likes instead of just newest.

3. please make it simpler to use the forum commands like embedding pictures or you tube video's call me stupid but its very annoying when i try to add a video clip or image and it wont work (this can happen to me regardless whether or not i get the command right)

xSKULLY:
1. showing newest comments first so everyone's comment gets seen and the conversations move's on, also i simply dont bother commenting 1/2 the time when a thread reaches its 2nd or 3rd page and not at all beyond that (unless its a thread i started or im quoting someone) because i dont think anyone will see it based on the fact that i dont look through more than 1 page of comments and sometimes not even that

No. Gods no. I've been on forums for like fifteen years now. This change would be like asking me to read a book from the bottom of the page to the top. No.

In general, I like the site as it is. Wouldn't complain if they ditched a lot of their shows and just enslaved the LRR crew to make funny shows every day instead. Really, that's all I care about here. LRR/Feed Dump and Yahtzee.

1) The problem with that scenario is that people are still not have their opinions seen by the majority of readers and will only get pushed backwards into obscurity rather then being a part of those inbetween pages between 1 and the latest page.

2) No, we've had this conversation thousands of times over before and I have to say that I would prefer the escapist not to have this. Largely due to the fact that just about every forum that uses the 'cheers and jeers' system tends to have a community that abuses it. People will get upvotes for simply being popular while those who share less popular opinions will get down voted. Heck, some forums I know of actually use that as a system for reporting posts that are against the code of conduct.

3) I actually think the commands are pretty simple. Granted, it can become complex if you're looking to dye your words in a specific shade of color, but for the most part, its actually pretty simple.

xSKULLY:
2. having a like/dislike on comments in a Facebook style so if you agree with some one or just like their comment/post you can give it a like, if you disagree or dont like it you can dislike, this would also allow people to search threads by most likes instead of just newest.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There would be too many problems with all the lack of discussions and the forum celebrities and the hey hey!

NO

Yeah the escapists forums are about the best ones I use.

I really wouldn't change them.

1. Any inactive threads that exceed a long period of time (let say three months) without any new posts will automatically be locked up therefore elimate any nerco threads.

2. When you click on the new topic button to make a new thread it will take you to the seach page first where you must type anything related to your thread idea first (you cannot skip). This is to ensure that the thread topic isn't a copies of another thread made in the past.
While there are some threads that can be repeated, you will have to message a mod first to allow your thread idea to be repated.

Also with 3 you made, for your information it isn't that hard to learn the command codes. Sure I did used to think it would of been easier for the typical code buttons to be used like many others forum out there but I like the fact I was force to learn abit of the codings. I understood the codings better (well maybe the fact that I can understand abit more of my uncle coding works).
You will get used to it over time.

1. No. It's a terrible idea to force it everybody.

2. Not really. I can see it being useful for likes only but dislikes...trust me you don't want to see what happens then.

3. First I disagree - you cannot "get the command right" and not work. You either mistype it or not. But I agree, a little editor would be nice. I tire when I have to type a long message and use bold/italics tags throughout. But maybe that's the point - maybe the Escapist forums are supposed to not be colourful and pretty (oh god, the abuse of BBcode I've seen). Also it makes it easier to make people mess up bad

What I'd like is customizable browsing. I prefer seeing more comments on a page. The maximum or at least ~100. I know it's not the same for everybody, so they can set it however they want to. Also, the reverse order of comments can be a personal choice. I abhor it with all my heart but I know others like it. And I'd prefer to see the time in a 24 hour format.

Actually, to be honest currently the time is displayed in 24 hour format, but there is JavaScript that runs after the page loads and rewrites in into am/pm.

maddawg IAJI:
1) The problem with that scenario is that people are still not have their opinions seen by the majority of readers and will only get pushed backwards into obscurity rather then being a part of those inbetween pages between 1 and the latest page.

2) No, we've had this conversation thousands of times over before and I have to say that I would prefer the escapist not to have this. Largely due to the fact that just about every forum that uses the 'cheers and jeers' system tends to have a community that abuses it. People will get upvotes for simply being popular while those who share less popular opinions will get down voted. Heck, some forums I know of actually use that as a system for reporting posts that are against the code of conduct.

1. currently all post made after the first page become obscure but if the comments updated so the newest ones were shown first everyone gets an equal amount of views, were as in the current system the oldest comments get the huge majority of views and id be surprised if a comment i left on page 3 of 5 would get any views at all

2. i wasnt thinking of a reddit system of like/dislikes being used to show social status or "fame" just as a way of saying i agree/i disagree on individual comments. I see how this could be used as a social standing thing but id like to think that the escapist community is mature enough for it not to go that rout and if it does we can say yep bad idea and get rid of it again

Hoplon:

d'aww thanks! We appreciate your patronage.

Scarim Coral:
1. Any inactive threads that exceed a long period of time (let say three months) without any new posts will automatically be locked up therefore elimate any nerco threads.

2. When you click on the new topic button to make a new thread it will take you to the seach page first where you must type anything related to your thread idea first (you cannot skip). This is to ensure that the thread topic isn't a copies of another thread made in the past.
While there are some threads that can be repeated, you will have to message a mod first to allow your thread idea to be repated.

Also with 3 you made, for your information it isn't that hard to learn the command codes. Sure I did used to think it would of been easier for the typical code buttons to be used like many others forum out there but I like the fact I was force to learn abit of the codings. I understood the codings better (well maybe the fact that I can understand abit more of my uncle coding works).

Force people to search for old threads, if one exists they cannot make a thread. Lock all old threads.

That is the worst idea of all time.

Nasrin:

Hoplon:

Well we do not appreciate you, begone mortal.

Tis time for an uprising, escapists UNITE!

(oh god please don't ban me, it was a joke! *cowers*)

Scarim Coral:

this seems like a very good idea, and would have probably stopped the landslide of mass effect 3 threads from clogging up the gaming section

however i would change locked to delete

Matthew94:

Scarim Coral:

Force people to search for old threads, if one exists they cannot make a thread. Lock all old threads.

That is the worst idea of all time.

Sorry but I just hate the amount of nerco threads popping up (even in the rule/ guide on here say nerco a thread is against the rule) and seeing the same threads being made over and over (*cough cough when some new person asking why MLP is popular).
Beside I did say that if you want a thread to be made again then message a mod to do so.

xSKULLY:

Scarim Coral:

this seems like a very good idea, and would have probably stopped the landslide of mass effect 3 threads from clogging up the gaming section

Second idea is great, however the escapist just did a massive redesign, so they might not do another one for ages.

Matthew94:

xSKULLY:

There would be too many problems with all the lack of discussions and the forum celebrities and the hey hey!

Forum celebrities? Already got those. Zeel. Falloutjack, caramelF, me, the list goes on.

ResonanceSD:

Forum celebrities? Already got those. Zeel. Vault101, me, the list goes on.

Oh lawd, he's a celebrity now...

Btw I'm pretty sure Zeel is gone.

ResonanceSD:

Matthew94:

xSKULLY:

Forum celebrities? Already got those. Zeel. Falloutjack, caramelF, me, the list goes on.

You, a celebrity? Lol, what a kidder :D

Matthew94:

xSKULLY:

NO

i dont see how this would lead to a lack of discussion or a celebrity culture

1. lack of conversation: you can still talk to people and voice your opinion even say why you liked/disliked their comment/thread if anything this will lead to more feedbacl being given as instead of thinking oh i agree with X and not voicing that opinion you can think oh i agree with X and thumb up X's comment

2. i fail to see how it would cause celebrities, its not like people care so much how many likes a comment they make gets on youtube or facebook that they get all "E famous" over it and i doubt the escapist will be any differant

Nasrin:

Like "gone forever" gone? Wow.

Oh, here's a suggestion:

Newly registered members must have their new threads (not posts, just threads) moderator approved for a week. Should kill those spam monkeys.

EDIT: Did I say a week? Maybe a month...

xSKULLY:

Matthew94:

xSKULLY:

NO

1. lack of conversation: you can still talk to people and voice your opinion even say why you liked/disliked their comment/thread if anything this will lead to more feedbacl being given as instead of thinking oh i agree with X and not voicing that opinion you can think oh i agree with X and thumb up X's comment

2. i fail to see how it would cause celebrities, its not like people care so much how many likes a comment they make gets on youtube or facebook that they get all "E famous" over it and i doubt the escapist will be any differant

Just like on other forums people who are known will get upvoted into the heavens and vice versa. Then you would also get wars breaking out in certain debates.

Just look at the scum pit that is N4G to see how shitty a like system really is.

Lack of conversation. Yeah, this could go either way but a lot of threads could just end up empty with a ton of yes/no votes everywhere.

Aris Khandr:

Nasrin:

Oh, here's a suggestion:

Newly registered members must have their new threads (not posts, just threads) moderator approved for a week. Should kill those spam monkeys.

You must be joking... we have 14 mods and they're all volunteers. Who has the time to do that?

Nasrin:

Aris Khandr:

Nasrin:

Oh, here's a suggestion:

You must be joking... we have 14 mods and they're all volunteers. Who has the time to do that?

14 mods you say?

Maybe you need a bit of help... I can swing a hammer fairly hard.

xSKULLY:
i fail to see how it would cause celebrities

Because people vote based on popularity, not based on merit.

Matthew94:

Nasrin:

Aris Khandr:

Oh, here's a suggestion:

14 mods you say?

Maybe you need a bit of help... I can swing a hammer fairly hard.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

They're listed at the bottom :)

Nasrin:

How many threads get started by non-spambots in the first week? I've not seen too many. We get the occasional "I'm doing a survey for X class in college", but that's about it. Another option would be to just not allow new threads by new members at all for X time. Maybe set up an official thread for "I'm doing a survey for college" that they can post to in Off-Topic, and otherwise lock things down a bit. It's just that the spambots are getting to be really tiresome.

-Lower the rate of CAPTCHAs appearing, if not removing them entirely
-Removing advertisement CAPTCHAs
-More subforums (such as TV shows)
-Increased avatar size
-Threads with no new posts get locked to prevent them from being necro'd
-Decrease the amount of threads you can make over time (no making ten threads in one day)

Yeah, most of my complaints are ones that PubClub supplies. But THAT SHIT WILL NOT BEAT ME.

How would you improve the escapist?

a meme posting ban

just my personal opinion.

Matthew94:

xSKULLY:

Matthew94:

NO

Just like on other forums people who are known will get upvoted into the heavens and vice versa. Then you would also get wars breaking out in certain debates.

Just look at the scum pit that is N4G to see how shitty a like system really is.

Lack of conversation. Yeah, this could go either way but a lot of threads could just end up empty with a ton of yes/no votes everywhere.

1. people are well known on the escapist :0 might be because im new but i haven't noticed that, ive seen people who post frequently but never seen anyone as famous and ive certainly never agreed with someone else's opinion simply because they are popular on the internet (admitably i may be in the minority on that one)

2. i dont think people will forgo commenting just to vote yes/no, if you look at the view to comment ratio only about 1/10 people who view a thread will leave a comment and i think its those people who will ad their voice to the conversation as opposed to the minority who comment simply not bothering to comment any more

just look at polls, allot of threads have yes/no polls these get a roughly sequel proportion of comments to views as poll-less post and there are typically more polll votes than comments (from what ive seen)

Nasrin:

Hoplon:

Is it still nice when the other forums I post on all belong to MMOs?

View new posts in the forums. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase xD

Nasrin:

ResonanceSD:

Pretty sure the joke was obvious Nasrin :p

But still, my point is that we have got active members on the forums who develop their own status. Zeel is/was one :p

And im pretty sure a + 1 button that had no effect on foeum post ranking (kind of like exactly what a fb like is) wouldn't cultivate a celeb culture here.

I'd get rid of all these sports online ads, that's for damn sure.

Nasrin:

Hoplon:

I would replace our community manager with one that knows to capitalize her posts.
It was a joke. Please don't kill me. I'm kidding. You don't know where I live. Hah!
In all seriousness though, I would add a function that let's you report a thread without opening the thread in question.
Because off-topic is currently flooded with spam, and I honestly can't be bothered to open every single thread to report them.
We need someone to clean up that mess.
Get what I'm saying?
Chop chop.

Seriously though. Help me Nasrin. You're my only hope. It's a bloody mess out there.

ResonanceSD:

Nasrin:

ResonanceSD:

Pretty sure the joke was obvious Nasrin :p

But still, my point is that we have got active members on the forums who develop their own status. Zeel is/was one :p

And im pretty sure a + 1 button that had no effect on foeum post ranking (kind of like exactly what a fb like is) wouldn't cultivate a celeb culture here.

What would be the point if it had no effect on forum ranking? You want comment karma, a la reddit?

Nasrin:

xSKULLY:
i fail to see how it would cause celebrities

Because people vote based on popularity, not based on merit.

im probably in the minority here but i dont care how popular i am (or anyone else is) on the escapist just what they have to say and how they say it, but as i said im probably in the minority

i can see how a culture of X is famous lets all upvote X could be harmful, it all depends on how important likes are to people, i would see them as not really mattering maybe it would be nice to get 10 upvotes on a youtube video you linked to or on a well put together argument and if someone is being obnoxious or if you disagree with them you can hit the downvote as opposed to being the be all and end all of the community and the whole community revolving round getting lots of likes (that would make me sad)

maddawg IAJI:
Heck, some forums I know of actually use that as a system for reporting posts that are against the code of conduct.

Heh, that kinda made me curious. Which guy would I be? The guy with tons of dislikes where ever he goes? Or the guy with loads of likes? Or maybe one of the guys that no one bothers rating.

OT: All terrible ideas in the OP. Sorry.

I would like to have more subforums though. Maybe one for "Other media" - books, movies and TV.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked