47.4% (45)
Yes, they wouldn't have wasted the recources
15.8% (15)
15.8% (15)
Have to wait until Saturday to know
36.8% (35)
36.8% (35)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you think Toonami's coming back?

So on April 1st Adult Swim broadcasted Toonami for a couple hours.
From what I believe, it got a ton of views.
I know adultswim loves to troll and not give people what they want but do you guys think its coming back?
I'm on the fence but in a way it'd be a bigger troll to bring Toonami back permanently than to not because nobody would expect it.
And also maybe the massive piles of money they'd get could convince them.

If it comes back it'd be awesome but i ain't getting my hopes up. I've suffered that heartbreak a few too many times before.

I don't think we have adultswim in the UK, but it'd be awesome if they brought it back Toonami was my childhood.

I want it back so goddamn much it's not even funny.

One part of me wants to say 'no', and that they played a very cruel joke However, seeing as they had a ton of views that day, it would be foolish of them to not run with it since they're not doing too well from what I understand.

rayen020:
If it comes back it'd be awesome but i ain't getting my hopes up. I've suffered that heartbreak a few too many times before.

So have we all man, so have we all.

It was an April Fools joke. Sorry :(

It was most definitely a April's Fools Joke. However, with everything that will undoubtedly interact with the internet the positive reactions and negative comments of using something so beloved as a joke may gain us a re-release of Toonami in the near future. All we can do now is hope and send a nice clean message of how much we still love it. (chance of this happening are quite low but I gotta have hope or I would go to a sulking state)

Oh, that's what that was? I went to bed, turned on the tv and was like "Yu Yu Hakusho! Hellz yeah!" I had no idea why it was on. Kinda just assumed I never knew about it because I don't usually go to bed around 3 am.

gigastrike:
Oh, that's what that was? I went to bed, turned on the tv and was like "Yu Yu Hakusho! Hellz yeah!" I had no idea why it was on. Kinda just assumed I never knew about it because I don't usually go to bed around 3 am.

It was on at like 2:00 PM or so for a long time like 1998-2003 then it eventually got later then move to midnight. Can't remember the dates so don quote me on them it was so long ago.

It seems like a-lot of work for one april fool's joke. IMO.

Maybe AS/CN (Whoever decides matters like this. Toonami is under CN's feedback categories)
were doing a bit of a field test, to see if Toonami would-be/is still viable and able to draw in crowds.

While this was a great nostalgic surprise, it left many myself included wondering if this was just for tonight or would Toonami return next Saturday? Steve Blum has released an official statement on his twitter saying that the Cartoon Network block is not back for good and if fans want it they should do something about it.

"For the record, Wikipedia, I did NOT say it's here to stay. ...But I sure hope so. Let 'em know you want it, people.
Late. End Transmission. XO
T.O.M."

Naturally, a huge movement has started which I am a part of to get Toonami back on the air permanently. There is even a petition that has started. You can sign it by visiting the link below and there is even a fanpage devoted to bring back Toonami:

Toonami Petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon ... adult-swim

Bring Back Toonami fanpage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Ba ... 7080326089

You may be wondering, "hey, how can I help?" Good question. Obviously, sign the petition and you can even go straight to the source, Cartoon Network. Steve Blum recently posted on his official facebook fanpage about how you can do just that.

"Yo, Toonami Faithful...
Thanks for tuning in. Hope it kicked in some happy memories and kicked off a happy April! As you (hopefully) know, bringing Toonami back isn't up to me. I'm just a voice guy. Many of you want to know how to make your voices heard. Maybe start here... http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/
Go to "programming" then "Toonami"
Love you guys from the bottom of my servos."

So get out there and spread the word! Toonami is going to bring itself back. We can do this, the Mass Effect fanbase got Bioware to do something with there game. The Toonami fanbase is probably just as big, time to start sending letters and liking facebook pages and signing petitions. We can make this happen. :D

Also Adult Swim is asking the people on twitter if you want toonami back, I don't know about you but i do!

https://twitter.com/#!/adultswim/status ... 6824834049

#BringBackToonami

https://twitter.com/#!/VoiceOfOBrien/st ... 1344963585

I don't think it's a sure thing right now. It was an April Fool's "joke," but I suspect Cartoon Network will look at the ratings, check the twitter trends and online forums, etc., and might bring it back eventually if the demand is high enough (it looks like it might be). I wouldn't really be surprised if they brought it back to take up the early night portion of Friday and Saturday eventually though. That would be good enough for me.

I don't watch TV anymore but I did watch TV when I was younger and the only way I'd care if they brought Toonami back was if they went really old school and it was hosted by Moltar again.

I don't really know if it's coming back or not, because it appearing on April 1st is a major red flag.

But I remember it being on cartoon network, before adult swim took the 10:30 slot, and that was around 2008 or so. I actually kind of missed it, as soon as I saw the first two seconds of it starting I knew it was toonami.

DarthSka:
I don't think it's a sure thing right now. It was an April Fool's "joke," but I suspect Cartoon Network will look at the ratings, check the twitter trends and online forums, etc., and might bring it back eventually if the demand is high enough (it looks like it might be). I wouldn't really be surprised if they brought it back to take up the early night portion of Friday and Saturday eventually though. That would be good enough for me.

http://twitter.com/#!/adultswim

Adult Swim's recent Twitter kind of gives me hope to my aforementioned idea of the true purpose behind this joke.

I never got to watch it too often, less than a years worth, but when you remember what the robot looks and sounds like, you know there's something memorable about it.

I certainly hope they don't bring it back, or at least they don't bring it back with the same shows. I like new anime, not the same shows that were around when I was a kid. I was kind of pissed to miss Durarara.

I knew it was a joke when I saw the clips from the WB toonami spots
Good old touch of nostalgia though

The problem with trying to bring back Toonami is that it can't be done

Modern Adult Swim programming doesn't leave room on the channel for Toonami anymore, and the saturday animu block essentially soaks up the purpose of Toonami.

That said, AS could definitely use a good trimming. I think I'll start a tread about that now

I hope so, so much.

Having a nice block of time dedicated to the classics that I grew up watching would be phenomenal. Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, and soooo much more. Those were the freaking days.

Honestly, I see Cartoon Network giving it a shot, given the amount of buzz this April Fool's day.

I'd love for Toonami to come back. If it does, it might push Funimation to finally put out that Tenchi Muyo box set for the 1st 2/3 of the ovas. Having just the last 3rd is weird.

I could easily see this being a case in which they started it as an April Fool's joke and it ended up being so successful that they decide they have to bring it back. I remember coming home from school and watching Toonami when I was young. Just the bumpers were epic.

It would probably actually get me back into watching Television again.

Also, they still have some bits and pieces of Toonami remaining around for those of you who want to feel nostalgic.

Toonami Aftermath for one.

http://www.toonamiaftermath.com/

Really depends. They did quite a few things that don't seem like CN would allow AS to just blow a fuckton of their money just for one day. Then again...

It also depends on the perception of the wording. TOM did say "Until we meet again", and for those that payed attention and actually know how an April Fools joke works, you don't say April Fools before the joke.

Then again, you don't usually start the joke on a non-April Fools day.

I.. have no fucking idea what to believe. I'm waiting til Saturday, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :P

As much as I'd like to see it make a comeback and air some new anime I don't really see it happening given the long list of idiot moves executives have made over the last decade or so.

considering most of the episodes were either season enders or in the case of YuYu Hakasho an episode no where near where the last episode Toonami aired I'm pretty sure it's just a joke.

Also that was old TOM new TOM looks like he belongs in a trash heap.

Will just have to wait to find out.

Even if they do come back what would they even air?

Toonami come back? Well, it would be nice to see the old anime I watched while I was still in grade school. And it would be convenient to have Cartoon Network's anime lineup all in one place rather than sprinkled among the likes of Tim & Eric and The Squidbillies. And it is nice to hear Steven Blum's voice again...

That said, however, it probably wouldn't be due to the fact that it would most likely steal from Adult Swim's lineup. That and it would also interfere with Adult Swim's time slot too, appealing to an audience of the same age demographic as Adult Swim's (the people who grew up with Toonami). As Adult Swim appeals to a broader audience than Toonami and benefits from a wider portfolio of shows, I can't see Toonami resurfacing without either being moved to the 2-6 am timeslot or airing in the few hours before Adult Swim starts up, albiet stripped down to appeal to the target audience of their "live-action" shows whose timeslot it would share...

Wait, WHAT?! Aw man... Well, April Fool's Day joke or not, maybe the ratings will bring it back... (Crosses fingers)

EDIT: Also, I've been looking at the links for "Bring Back Toonami" posted earlier... and the links apparently don't exist. WTF?!

On twitter, they posted "thanks for the feedback and passion. Stay tuned.

Why did CN take down Toonami? Do they have a crippling fear of money and success?

Gottesstrafe:
Toonami come back? Well, it would be nice to see the old anime I watched while I was still in grade school. And it would be convenient to have Cartoon Network's anime lineup all in one place rather than sprinkled among the likes of Tim & Eric and The Squidbillies. And it is nice to hear Steven Blum's voice again...

That said, however, it probably wouldn't be due to the fact that it would most likely steal from Adult Swim's lineup. That and it would also interfere with Adult Swim's time slot too, appealing to an audience of the same age demographic as Adult Swim's (the people who grew up with Toonami). As Adult Swim appeals to a broader audience than Toonami and benefits from a wider portfolio of shows, I can't see Toonami resurfacing without either being moved to the 2-6 am timeslot or airing in the few hours before Adult Swim starts up, albiet stripped down to appeal to the target audience of their "live-action" shows whose timeslot it would share...

I don't think if it came back it would show Adult Swim things. It'd just take over for the bumpers during Adult Swim's Saturday anime block: Bleach, Kekkaishi, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and so forth.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked