What's wrong with the new Doctor Who?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I just want to know, I've seen plenty of people say they don't like it but I've never seen any reasons why. I'm not trying to defend New Who (although I do like it) I just want to know what problems people have with it.

Who has been saying that? I like this Doctor, although I liked Tennant better (he was my first Doctor). However, the stories can sometimes feel too "goody-goody" and I really don't care about Amy Pond.

TheOneBearded:
Who has been saying that? I like this Doctor, although I liked Tennant better (he was my first Doctor). However, the stories can sometimes feel too "goody-goody" and I really don't care about Amy Pond.

Amy is gone (thankfully).

ThePS1Fan:
I just want to know, I've seen plenty of people say they don't like it but I've never seen any reasons why. I'm not trying to defend New Who (although I do like it) I just want to know what problems people have with it.

I'm not really sure, I think Matt Smith is really good. Maybe it depends on when you started watching. I didn't get really into it until last season and I can't stand Tennant. My mom started with Eccleston and says he is her favorite and wasn't a fan of Tennant either.

People seem to have one or a mix of the following problems:

1) They're old school Doctor Who fans and can't ever be convinced that the new stuff isn't crap due to nostalgia

2) David Tennant isn't the Doctor anymore.

3) Matt Smith wasn't there first Doctor so they don't like him. It's sort of like with a step-parent. The step-parent maybe very friendly and likable, but people will dislike them out of spite for "replacing" their real parent.

4) They just don't like that sort of thing. Some people don't like cheesy sci-fi stuff. That's cool.

I personally, do like the new and old Doctor Who series. I enjoy David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Tom Baker the most, but in no particular order. I do not like, however, the frequency of bad episodes especially during the David Tennant run. It wasn't David's fault, it was the writing. Though he also had some really amazing episodes. I don't think it's the best show ever, far from it, but it is very fun to watch.

I personally, don't like Amy at all. Rory is cool, but not Amy. I'm glad she is on her way out.

I dont watch Dr. Who but Ill guess because its new.

you may have to be more specific...cine the "new" doctor who had been going for liek...6 seasons now?

I was a DR who fanatic back in 05 when it started..unofrtunatly I cant comment having not been up to date on alot of it

personally I alwasy prefered eccleson to Tennant..I just couldnt take him seriously

I think some people don't like how every seasons ending has to be bigger and more bombastic than the last, apparently "the universe is about to be destroyed" idea gets tired and cliche when it's used every season.

TheOneBearded:

"Goody goody"? the [Matt Smith] Doctor is FAR more dark and morally ambiguous than [Tennant] Doctor.

OT: Absolutely nothing.

ThePS1Fan:

It's not the old Doctor Who?

I don't know, this is news to me.

Zen Toombs:

TheOneBearded:

"Goody goody"? the [Matt Smith] Doctor is FAR more dark and morally ambiguous than [Tennant] Doctor.

OT: Absolutely nothing.

He said stories, which I think is kinda accurate. They're rather sugary, even though the Doctor is not.

The writing. To me the quality has dropped since series 3 (although that was more to do with the general feel of the series than the writing quality), but it got particularly bad in series 5. It's hard to take seriously and feels like they're trying to make it more kiddy.
And while Matt Smith is a good actor, I really don't think he makes a good Doctor. He's too young.

Well I just never liked Doctor Who in general! So I'm not one to judge on these things :)

Captcha: Sax and Violins...

The fuck? Is that a play on Sex and Violence?

I don't like the new Doctor because he can't wrestle. I mean, I watch the guy do his thing and I'm like, "You call that wrestling?", he's just talking and stuff, no attempt to even try wrestling. So overrated.

I love New Who. I've loved everything from 2005 onwards. I love Matt Smith and most everything that comes with him, as well as Tennant and Eccleston (who was my first Doctor).

Oh sure, there are some dud episodes, but even the duds are better than most stuff on the air these days.

What I don't like? Old Who, per-revival, pre-2005. Why? Because it's just so dated. I mean, the stories are okay, but they can't hold a candle to the new stuff (in my opinion). Of course the effects are bad because it was done on a shoe-string budget and all, but I just don't find the stories all that engaging anyway.

Though I live with a man (my father) who hates the new stuff. Why? I'm pretty sure it's a combo of factors including he's an old curmudgeon who doesn't like anything and he can't stay wake to save his life, so he misses most of the episodes, which you can't do with the new stuff. But I don't listen to him because if it came out after the 1980's, he's bound to hate it now.

Watching the most recent season put on netflix, the second season after Tennant is almost a chore. Every episode ends with the same instrumental that's trying to make the events seem more epic for frankly, unimportant shit. Every single thing, Amy's running away from the first creature of the episode *dunnunununanananu.* Plus it seems like they're trying to make a mini-series by making every single episode part of a bigger story while keeping the same aspects of the case by case format. Also there's like no exploration, almost every episode is on earth or just seems like it's in the near future, too many humans. It just doesn't seem like the strange new worlds that I got with Tennant.

I have no idea. I thought Eccleston was a badass Doctor, with all the anger and sorrow that comes with losing your entire race. Tennant was good too, playing off Eccleston's Doctor but showing that he's learned to grow and calm the anger inside of him. I think he even said as much in one of the season finales.

As for Smith, couldn't tell you what he's like as the Doctor. Maybe it's just him? Or maybe River Song being stuffed down the viewers' throats...

-The Smith Daleks are TERRIBLE
-Amy Pond is rubbish
-The stories are too wishy-washy
-Too much "Everybody in the galaxy loves the Doctor!"
-Writing can be TERRIBLE at times

The last season of DW really lost it for me. I hope the new one is better.

The writing is awful! Absolutely horrible. The season finales never make sense and are far to over the top. The monsters are badly designed and most importantly the writing staff are lazy.

Our cybermen and the alternate cybermen look exactly the same now... Also it ignores established cannon like the fact that our cybermen were basically extinct by 3000AD and all of a sudden there are fleets of them at Devil's Run.

There are no nods to cannon, the established continuity of the series and the writing sucks.

I am so disappointed that the 50th anniversary is being handled by Moffat's terrible team.

Also, the whole River Song timeline makes NO sense. She is somehow a timelord... And River Song is not a likeable character who is being forced down viewers throats.

I quite enjoyed the runs of the Ninth and Tenth, but I can't get used to the Eleventh. For my part, I don't enjoy most of Steven Moffat's writing, or his vision for the show, and since he's heading it up now, I have a problem. Also...

DalekJaas:
And River Song is not a likeable character who is being forced down viewers throats.

This. Absoutely this. Hated her from the moment she showed up and acted like we were supposed to care about her. (Though I did enjoy the first few minutes after her regeneration in "Let's Kill Hitler." That was amusing.)

Tennant is hotter. I didn't even know of Dr. Who until the fangirls swarmed to it.

darkstone:
I think some people don't like how every seasons ending has to be bigger and more bombastic than the last, apparently "the universe is about to be destroyed" idea gets tired and cliche when it's used every season.

Quite true, although when you have all of time and space at your fingertips, the universe is always under threat from something.
I did enjoy seeing how the doctor almost died. after nearly 1000 years, I want to see a bit more mortality in him.
Finally, because someone else already brought it up, the newer River song. As a character, I approved of her in "silence in the library", but in the newer version, where she is a bit of psychopath, I just dislike her. Strongly.

TehCookie:
Tennant is hotter. I didn't even know of Dr. Who until the fangirls swarmed to it.

This is true. *fantasizes*

But I can't say I ever hated New Who. Tennant was my first Doctor as the first time I discovered the show was when I was younger and thought that it was some awesome cool thing on randomly at 2am on PBS channel 13 when my mother tells me that nope, it's just Doctor Who. Anyway, I saw only 3 random episodes in no particular order. Each a different season.

When I finally decided to try and catch up on Doctor Who, I started with Eccleston. He was a good one to me. By the time that season was over, I literally had to reattach myself to David again because I was mourning Christopher. You can imagine my fan grief when he finally had to go too.

Matt's not bad. He has his own charm. But I'm still working on catching up on the show. I do think some of the stories can be a smidgen boring. That's probably why I'm procrastinating now.

Personally I think he's too similar in manner to Tennant's Doctor. They're both crazy, hyperactive, brilliant, and occasionally dark.

Frankly I love them all, the new doctors are wonderful, and the old ones were extremely good, cant wait for the new season to start

The writing for me, it's too soap opera-ey.

Also, everyone spends all the time blathering on about how wonderful the Dcotor is, he never gets any time to, you know, be wonderful. The companions are there to cheerlead and tell the audience they should like the Doctor, they don't get to work as characters.

In the one where they brought the Weeping Angels back, except they changed everything that made them scary, there was a great bit when the commander of the unit points out to the Doctor that it's alright for him, he'll just fly off at the end of the episode, he's not the one that has to tell the families why their sons aren't coming back. Now, they need more of that sort of stuff, people who can talk to the Doctor as an equal, and tell him when he's wrong.

River Song was thrust down our throats, and the writers are desperately trying to bludgeon us into liking her, but she's only the worst, the other get this as well.

Also, new Who relies too much on throwing stuff at the screen and hoping people like it, but not bothering to flesh it out or fit it into the story in a way that makes sense. Many, many ideas had potential, but they were wasted, being dropped and forgotten in favour of the next one.

Oh I've got one. The Doctor's brilliance often comes from plot armour, it's hard to build any kind of tension with the Doctor when you know shit like this will happen:

Combined with the Master's Archangel Satellite network, which the Doctor has had an entire year to get in tune with, this has the effect of charging the Doctor with the combined psychic energy of the people of Earth. This enables the Doctor to restore his youthful physiognomy and end the Master's control

I couldn't have pulled a bigger load of bullshit out of my arse if I'd tried. I'm still pissed off about the whole Deus Ex Machina from Last of the Time Lords...

i'm just gonna copy paste something about Dr Who from and old thread.

please pay close attention to the blue paragraphs if you wish to understand Dr Who and why certain types of people complain about it so much.

Sleekit:

Ubermetalhed:
There seems to be a hell of alot of these threads going about at the moment. I think this is the third I've seen in the last two days.

I'm hopefully correct in saying that fans of the classic series prefer Matt Smith, as his Doctor has the depth and complexity of the originals.

Where as fans of the new series gravitate to Tennant for whatever reason that maybe. As a classic fan this is completely beyond me.

i pretty much agree with this.

a mad man in a box. definitely.

reminds me of certain aspects of older doctors way more than "oh look im "out there" because i wear converse all stars" Tennant ever did and especially of "my own" "mad" Doctor Tom Baker.

er....ye ^^ anyways, moving on...

all and all it seems a great many people who have become fans off the back of the relaunch have never really grasped on to what Dr Who actually is (or who it's truly aimed at). this is not Star Trek, or Battlestar, or SG1 or any other "mainstream" sci-fi show that is aimed at and supposed to be scrutinised by teen to thirty something "sci-fi fans".

this is a show about making 8 year olds shit themselves and leap into mum and dads arms (or ofc "behind the sofa"™) who then in turn grow up to become adult Who fans and if you watch ANYONE involved in making the show talk about their initial exposure to Dr Who (including Tennant btw) on the likes of Dr Who Confidential they ALL relate a variation on this theme.

Matt Smith more than has his moments and indeed i remember a singular scene from one of his early outings where he was in Amys bedroom and i think he was simply talking in hushed tones about the start of his journey in which for a utterly sublime moment he managed to pull off, in full close up, looking every bit of the ancient 900+ year old Timelord he's supposed to be (despite the often childlike exterior) and personally that's when i decided, despite his young age, he was a truly great choice to play The Doctor.

in short, because of the hiatus and relaunch, there is a fundamental disconnect going on between what Dr Who actually is and what certain people expect it to be.

I'm enjoying the New Who, as you call it, but recently the writing has taken a turn for the worse - which is a shame, because I really did enjoy Moffat's episodes in the earlier seasons - but now it seems to be getting really formulaic - Smith throws out the "I'm going to beat the odds and save the day and be awesome" monologue pretty much every episode at this point - not his fault as an actor, it's just bad writing. Hopefully they'll shake things up next season, I couldn't stand the Christmas Special.

I've liked all the runs of doctor who save the new round with Matt Smith; I feel the writing has taken a huge hit since davies left and the current writers have been doing all they can to both insult and outdo the davies era. Story and characters have simply been lacking in imagination and scope.

Too bad, really, as there have been a number of things I've liked with the matt smith run but they've all been overshadowed by terrible writing.

RE captcha: why don't I ever seem to get any of the fun ones anymore? "Little Caesars"?! boring.

They all have their charms. With Tennant's doctor, whenever he's about to do something dangerous, and just a bit crazy, he'd explain it. Ok, he'd explain it like he was reading a disclaimer so you'd have to rewind, play back in slo mo to catch it all, but he does explain things. Matt's doctor is a bit more secretive. Rather than explain things and spoil the surprise, he just smiles. Explanations come after the deed is done. He also has more of a meanstreak than the last. Where Tennant objected when the daleks were suddenly pushed to near extinction, Smith would do it with a menacing glare, then the next second swap back to that goofy smart guy and say "Show's over, lets go home."

And yes, it is technically a children's show, but it's a GOOD children's show. It's got all the cliches - smart hero, amoral, not so smart villains - but enough actual drama and a bit of creepiness is there so that adults can enjoy it as well. Not true of sooooo many other kids shows.

I don't like this business of everyone standing around talking about how awesome the Doctor is ALL THE TIME. Sometimes it feels like they really are just there to stand around and admire him. I remember a few scenes when Rory (of all people) actually stood up to the Doctor and told him off for playing with people's lives. I remember these scenes because they don't happen very often, and they should. It's one of the things that makes me like Rory.

I think a lot of it has to do with both Amy and River growing up idolizing the Doctor. I want a new companion, one who approaches the Doctor with a healthy dose of skepticism, like Rory does. And a smaller supporting cast.

Hey, while I'm here, can I ask why so many people hate Martha? I thought she was alright. Yeah, she had that stupid romantic subplot, but so did Rose, who everyone loves for some reason. (She just annoys the hell out of me) And in "Last of the Timelords", she essentially becomes Gordon Freeman, so that's pretty badass, right?

TheOneBearded:
Who has been saying that? I like this Doctor, although I liked Tennant better (he was my first Doctor).

Pretty much this. Although I must admit something has felt off since Series 5, can't quite put my finger on it.

I've only been a fan of the new Dr. Who series, never really got into the old one much. I like the new Dr Who, including Matt Smith's doctor. On the whole the series is more creative than your standard SciFi fare; solutions and plot resolutions doesn't depend on gunplay or techno-fixes.

Matt Smith is goofier than either of the two previous Drs. Much less angsty than Tennant or Eccleston. Some of the writing has been a lesser quality, I'm pretty tired of Daleks and Cybermen as villains. I really enjoyed the series arc for the most recent season.

Okay, and I say this as a Moffat Fanatic.... ( seriously I own a copy of everything the guy has done since the year 2000) Since Davies left the show's overall quality has taken a hit.

Matt Smith does a good job as The Doctor, but Moffat I think is suffering from the George Lucas syndrome if you will... When he had someone to reign in the crazy he made something genius... ( in George's case The Original Star Wars, in Moffat's The Weeping Angels, or Captain Jack Harkness) But when let loose and with no one to tell him no we get Gun Gans or in Moffat's case an ignoring of previously established cannon)

Moffat is a great writer, he is the man behind MY favorite show. If you want modern proof of this go watch Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and you will see what I mean. But I think he is too close to this ( he made an entire character back in 2003 whose entire purpose was to call for the return of Dr Who...) Now he literately "runs the show" he can't pull himself back enough from the character to discern the good from the bad.)

And it is frustrating, because when I heard that Moffat was gonna take over the reigns and steer The TARDIS, I quite literately jumped for joy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked