What's wrong with the new Doctor Who?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Never really heard that. Being and old Doctor Who fan, I have plenty of criticisms for the new series (especially the Russel T. Davies years, the over use of River Song, and the lackluster writing in series 6), but I still like the series, and most everyone else I know does too. :/

I'm not entirely sure. I began watching with the ninth doctor, going back to see the exploits of the 7th and 8th after that, stuck with the series through the Tennant-era and continue to watch to this day. While I do miss the 10th, I can say that I enjoy the 11th as well. I suppose the problems people have with the series would come from someone not liking Amy Pond, or Matt Smith's portrayal of the character, or Moffat's writing. Personally, I don't see a problem in any of those things.

I watch Doctor Who for the Companions and no one else. They are the most interesting part of every episode, their interactions with the universe that the doctor inhabits keeps me watching the show. The problems comes when they get to be routine and common place. As soon as what they are seeing does not register anymore, the show becomes boring.

The Doctor is the least interesting part of his own show. There is no drama or conflict with him. Essentially, he is boring. It does not matter which one it is. There is no one more powerful than him in that universe. He cannot die, otherwise there is no series. He does not get hurt, and he must be around for the climax of the story because the situations cannot get resolved with out him, or someone like him.

You know, the show might have been interesting to me if I watched them when there were other time lords around. The whole idea of other people just like him acting as oversight or foils are would have made the show better.

The last series finale was utter crap, but apart from that I like the new modern series. I think David was better but Matt Smith is very good too.

darkstone:
I think some people don't like how every seasons ending has to be bigger and more bombastic than the last, apparently "the universe is about to be destroyed" idea gets tired and cliche when it's used every season.

This, though they got to the point it was happening every episode. I liked the earlier new-series ones, like when they went to the end of the universe, and to when the sun evvelops Earth. I want stuff like that.
And the writers seems to have gortten lazy. In the Christmas episode, the characters were stuck in a tower which was slowly melting because it was raining hydrochloric acid. And how did they get away? The building took off and flew into a space wormhole. Deus ex machina at it's core.

Matt Smith broke the line between "Witty and confident" to "self-righteous and arrogant" in my personal books. I don't like people like that in real life, and I don't want to watch those sort of people on TV.

But I'm aware that's personal opinion and I don't run around screaming "It sucks, it sucks!" or anything. I just loved Tennant so much more.

The episode solutions are less interesting of late.

I miss the first weeping angels episode. That was a good episode with an interesting resolution.

The newer episodes just end with a techno-bable solution, nothing particularly ingenious just a wave of the sonic wand and the bad guy blow's up. :(

I personally loved Who up until Series 5. From there I just couldn't get into the plot. Smith is a great actor, and a great Doctor I think, even considering the enormous shoes he had to fill after Tennant(who has consistently been rated one of the best Doctors of all time, at least from the polls I see on this site).

The problem isn't with Smith I think, it's with Moffat. He was great when he was writing his own little episodes(obligatory mention of Blink), but when it comes to managing an entire series, and particularly creating story arcs, he's simply not as good at it as Davies was, IMO.

Nothing and don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.

I personally don't enjoy Smith. I want to. I really do, but he just get's on my nerves.

But honestly, it's all a case of "You never forget your first Doctor". Less in the literal sense and more in the sense of people don't like change and Who fans are the worst about this. Whatever THEIR vision of the universe is, it is the correct one.

This goes for fans new and old and I think we just need to get over it and let other people enjoy different things than us WITHOUT calling them shallow children.

I'm talking to YOU "Classic" Doctor Who fans!

Sleekit:
i'm just gonna copy paste something about Dr Who from and old thread.

please pay close attention to the blue paragraphs if you wish to understand Dr Who and why certain types of people complain about it so much.

Sleekit:

Ubermetalhed:
There seems to be a hell of alot of these threads going about at the moment. I think this is the third I've seen in the last two days.

I'm hopefully correct in saying that fans of the classic series prefer Matt Smith, as his Doctor has the depth and complexity of the originals.

Where as fans of the new series gravitate to Tennant for whatever reason that maybe. As a classic fan this is completely beyond me.

i pretty much agree with this.

a mad man in a box. definitely.

reminds me of certain aspects of older doctors way more than "oh look im "out there" because i wear converse all stars" Tennant ever did and especially of "my own" "mad" Doctor Tom Baker.

er....ye ^^ anyways, moving on...

all and all it seems a great many people who have become fans off the back of the relaunch have never really grasped on to what Dr Who actually is (or who it's truly aimed at). this is not Star Trek, or Battlestar, or SG1 or any other "mainstream" sci-fi show that is aimed at and supposed to be scrutinised by teen to thirty something "sci-fi fans".

this is a show about making 8 year olds shit themselves and leap into mum and dads arms (or ofc "behind the sofa"™) who then in turn grow up to become adult Who fans and if you watch ANYONE involved in making the show talk about their initial exposure to Dr Who (including Tennant btw) on the likes of Dr Who Confidential they ALL relate a variation on this theme.

Matt Smith more than has his moments and indeed i remember a singular scene from one of his early outings where he was in Amys bedroom and i think he was simply talking in hushed tones about the start of his journey in which for a utterly sublime moment he managed to pull off, in full close up, looking every bit of the ancient 900+ year old Timelord he's supposed to be (despite the often childlike exterior) and personally that's when i decided, despite his young age, he was a truly great choice to play The Doctor.

in short, because of the hiatus and relaunch, there is a fundamental disconnect going on between what Dr Who actually is and what certain people expect it to be.

Indeed, while the writing has been down right terrible the last two seasons I think Matt Smith is the best of the new Doctors. He is properly alien and strange, much like Tom, Troughton, and McCoy. Mostly though the companions are nowhere near as good as the originals, Jamie, Leela, Sarah and Romana all run rings around the mopes dished up in new Who (Donna excepted, because Catherine Tate can ACT!)

I like Matt Smith as the doctor, and I do like Amy Pond to be honest, even more so Rory is awesome!

What I don't like is River Song, god I hate that character, she brings so little to the series, and I feel her "mythos" and how it was presented didn't correlate.
When she was first introduced she seemed to look up to the doctor as her better, well the doctor she knew and not Tennant. But the new River is always one step in front of the Doctor with her "spoilers", which just annoys me.

And I think that is one of the reasons people dislike Matt Smiths doctor, there are to many people that knows better than the Doctor, and that doesn't fit imo.

But Smith still has the best part in the end of his first (or was that second) episode, when he tells the alien to run. That was a really epic moment :D

Started disliking Doctor Who half way through Tennant's tenure as the Doctor - although I enjoyed Donna Noble as an assistant. Not sure why but nowadays whenever I watch new Who I have a compulsion to find a cordless drill and drill an escape route for my brain.

Give me Old Doctor Who any day of the week!

I like the new series but Matt Smith feels like he is trying too hard to channel David Tennant and Tom Baker. Every actor that has played the doctor has made the role theirs and unique, that was one of the joys of the show Matt Smith feel like he is just copying what has came before. And he writing has really gone down hill, to many little things that are so obliviously ageist the established lore, massive plot holes and a really stupid tardis design. It bug the hell out me, I miss the old tardis where it actually looked like a functional craft not a pinball machine gone crazy.

Also River Song, hands down the worst character in Dr Who, ever; new series and old. The show would be so much better without her in it.

RevRaptor:
I like the new series but Matt Smith feels like he is trying too hard to channel David Tennant and Tom Baker. Every actor that has played the doctor has made the role theirs and unique, that was one of the joys of the show Matt Smith feel like he is just copying what has came before. And he writing has really gone down hill, to many little things that are so obliviously ageist the established lore, massive plot holes and a really stupid tardis design. It bug the hell out me, I miss the old tardis where it actually looked like a functional craft not a pinball machine gone crazy.

Also River Song, hands down the worst character in Dr Who, ever; new series and old. The show would be so much better without her in it.

Not quite, Adric is still the worst. At least Alex Kingston can act.

My issue with Matt Smith is that he looks.......odd. I guess it's from many of his facial features being too pronounced while others seem to be lacking. I dunno.......he's just strange looking to me. Not that it matters much as Tom Baker will always be Dr. Who to me. He's the one I remember watching when I was a child.

Zen Toombs:

TheOneBearded:
Who has been saying that? I like this Doctor, although I liked Tennant better (he was my first Doctor). However, the stories can sometimes feel too "goody-goody" and I really don't care about Amy Pond.

"Goody goody"? the [Matt Smith] Doctor is FAR more dark and morally ambiguous than [Tennant] Doctor.

OT: Absolutely nothing.

Okay, maybe not the stories, but Smith gives off a "goody-goody" vibe. While Tennant made me believe he was somewhat mad, when Smith gets his moments he acts like some kind of man child - always really giddy and full of energy. It's just a little to weird to take seriously.

Being honest, I never watched the original. I mean to someday just not now, I'm not even caught up with the current series. I've only gone through Eccleston and some of Tennant. I loved both of them and, although some of the companions have gotten on my nerves, it hasn't taken away from my enjoyment of the show.

So it might be a case of "They changed it, now it sucks" or there could be problems that only the people who've watched the original know about.

One problem I have with the show is that it focuses too much on the Doctor being straight up silly now for pretty much everything. Tennant did an amazing mix of humor and serious with a perfect way to handle both. I think Smith is doing well with what he's given, but he's just given one silly thing after another. It makes the Doctor come off as incredibly immature even in situations where people are dying around him/because of him.

I also hate the fact that so many series end up the same. The bumbling side-kick who stumbles around most the time getting into danger ends up saving the day through some sort of mcguffin. I kind of like how Tennant's run ended differently, but overall that seems to be the general theme.

I hate River Song. Other than that all the problems are pretty minor. A few episodes were rather shit and they shouldn't have had the weeping angels move on screen.

This "classic who fans can't accept change" thing is bullshit. It's the excuse making of people so afraid of an opposing opinion that they have to reach for excuses so hard they dislocate their shoulder. I think Classic Who is fantastic, easily one of the finest Sci-Fi series in history. I think New Who is balls (I'll get to that in a moment). Considering I only heard about Doctor Who in 2008 I don't think nostalgia enters it.

I haven't seen Matt Smith. The last New Who I saw was End of Time, a finale so fantastically pompous and overblown that, off the top of my head, I can't think of a season finale that's worse. New Who (up to where I saw) is just so dumb and so unsubtle. The plot's are essentially the standard Good vs. Evil, which is fine, most of Classic Who was that too. But it's just so much more noticeable with New Who. With Classic Who, the format served as a way to bring the big ideas to the screen. In New Who, it IS the idea. And try as they might to change some names around in the plot synopsis it just doesn't cut it.

New Who tries to compensate its lack of variety or creativity by making things appear more important than they really are. The over-editing is a pain but nothing comes close to the score sounding like cue cards telling you how to feel. Honestly, it's just insulting and I can see through the smoke and mirrors to the lack of depth or emotional resonance it's trying to hide. It's the sound of a TV show patting itself on the back, the damning thing being that it has very little to congratulate itself about.

The characters suck, yeah, are you surprised I came to this reaction? Listing them all would be pointless so I'll just talk about the worst of them, the 10th Doctor. I don't blame David Tennant, I'm sure he's a fine actor. I'm sure this characters lack of consistency is on the writers. The 10th Doctor switches between goofy Saturday morning cartoon and humorless, grating whiner at a whim and the transitions between the two are as subtle as a cement truck. Occasionally, if the writers are feeling daring, they'll make him come off as menacing but it's about as believable as a child playing dressup. I could forgive that if he just wasn't so boring. When he's on the screen my eyes glaze over him and his words degenerate into meaningless syllables. I have to try harder than I should to stay focused on him. And that's terrible.

I should stop, I've given you people enough with which to tell me I'm wrong and an idiot and an obvious nostalgia blinded philistine but know that I just scratched the surface here. Classic Who is flawed as hell, I'll admit that. The production values are just a little too cheap to ignore and the pacing can be inexcusably slow at times. But that it can be so cherished despite these problems speaks for its genius.

Zen Toombs:

TheOneBearded:
Who has been saying that? I like this Doctor, although I liked Tennant better (he was my first Doctor). However, the stories can sometimes feel too "goody-goody" and I really don't care about Amy Pond.

"Goody goody"? the [Matt Smith] Doctor is FAR more dark and morally ambiguous than [Tennant] Doctor.

OT: Absolutely nothing.

No he isn't the show is just CALLING him on his dubious actions. 9 was FAR more morally grey than 10 OR 11.

The problem is that Moffat can't write an averarching plot. His episodes from the Davies era are EXCELLENT, but now that he has more freedom as a writer and has to now keep the plot GOING instead of grinding it to a screeching, mind-shattering halt (blink has nothing to do with anything, lets face it) he can't quite hack it. When the episode is plot-only, it seems to be well done, but davies was good at having plot IN the filler, which gives you a nice sense of continuity. Moffat clearly wants to take the show in a darker direction, which could be fun, but he pulls back on the reins and creates happy endings in situations that should be unresolvable.
Craig is doomed, but BABY SCREAMS force a spot weld and pistons to reverse themselves
The doctor has to die or else the universe will unravel. but its okay because it only has the be something doctor-SHAPED that dies, not the doctor himself.

it's no spaceship powered by love, or cement pad dickgargling, but its still pretty bad turnaround.

That said, I love matt smith as the doctor. Tennant was excellent, but smith just brings a fun energy that mixes tennant and eccleston well. Plus, he didn't have rose or martha tagging along. Amy can be a bit of a bitch at times, sure, but she's a lot closer to Donna than she is those two horrible people. Well, martha's not so bad a PERSON i guess, but a terrible character nonetheless.

My biggest problem with the new series IS the companions. We have had ONE companion who never wanted the doctor's time-traveling cock. We have had NO companions who didn't turn out to be the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE at least once. We haven't had a proper male companion either (they almost made it with rory, but he's still too second fiddle to amy), as mickey was a burden they ditched as soon as they could, and Cap'n Jack... wanted the doctor's time-traveling cock. At least he only wanted it because he wanted to fuck the man, not because he was DESPEWATEWY IN WUV with him.

Finally, to quote Phelous, "Fuck you, River Song!"

Possibly because every once in a while the Camera angle catches Matt Smith in such a way that it looks like they've transplanted his face onto a body that was a bit smaller than one the face originally came from? I dunno I think Matt Smiths doctor is fine.

Matt Smith is fantastic as the doctor

problem is the writing for the last season was utter shit, i swear they educated the mass effect ending or something (thats right people you cant have any thread without ME3 now mwahah) but seriously apart from like 2 or 3 good episodes it was rubbish

I think there's a lot wrong with the new Dr Who series, and IMO I think it all falls down to the actors, when they re-launched the series Christopher Eccleston was quite good, but after that I really lost interest, I guess it was injecting new life into an old series isn't always a good thing... Just think what they'd do to Dad's Army if they did a revamp of that.

Also... Happy now? #$%%

I have no problems with Matt Smith playing The Doctor, hell if there's a good episode he can be great! The problem is that he's got bad material to work with. Most of the time the episodes focus on the companions and while that can be OK in some cases, here there's just something about the companions here that rubs me off the wrong way. I don't why, they just REALLY irritate me. Recurring character River Song is a character I particularly hate the most in all her smug, "I know something you don't", mary sue-ness. Another huge problem is "The Power of Love". This seems to have come up a few times in recent episodes where in the end the newbie of the week has to believe in someone else to save the day. It happened in the 2011 christmas episode, it happened in the James Cordon one (another character who I want to take a blowtorch and chainsaw to) and it happened in that one with the doll house. Chances are it happened a few times before then aswell and every-fucking-time I literally call out "Bull-fucking-shit!" at the screen.
There have been a few good Moffat episodes like The Doctor's Wife and The Rebel Flesh two parter but dammit they are only the delicious blackcurrant jelly found at the bottom of a shit and backscab flavoured trifle.

Azure-Supernova:
Oh I've got one. The Doctor's brilliance often comes from plot armour, it's hard to build any kind of tension with the Doctor when you know shit like this will happen:

Combined with the Master's Archangel Satellite network, which the Doctor has had an entire year to get in tune with, this has the effect of charging the Doctor with the combined psychic energy of the people of Earth. This enables the Doctor to restore his youthful physiognomy and end the Master's control

I couldn't have pulled a bigger load of bullshit out of my arse if I'd tried. I'm still pissed off about the whole Deus Ex Machina from Last of the Time Lords...

Why is that bad? It wasn't a 5 minute answer at the end. They spent the whole of the last 2 episodes discovering that the Archangel Network was being used by the Master to psychically shield himself from the Doctor and making him charismatic enough to become PM of the UK. And they dropped hints about Saxon/The Master throughout the series like they did with Bad Wolf. The Doctor, like all Time Lords, is a psychic being, a fact that has been expressed many times in the new series at least. It stands to reason that a psychic being like the Doctor could tap into the network the same way the Master was connected to use it himself. Since the network was designed to pacify human resistance and basically keep them scared against him, the network was already tuned to humans. Therefore Martha spent a whole year travelling Earth to spread word of the Doctor and his plan to as much of the world as possible. The Doctor then tapped into the network and used the building psychic power generated by the humans as a weapon against the Master, and reverse the damage he'd caused to him by removing his ability to regenerate.

Yeah it's not plausible outside of Doctor Who, but we're talking about a series where a two-hearted millennia old psychic sole survivor of a dead race that had a war through time with mutants inside metal death machines.
I would say it makes sense as far as the rest of the canon universe goes.

I'm personally quite fond of the "New Who" including the 9th/10th/11th Doctors. I'd like to get into the older series... but I'm also lazy.

TimeLord:
The Doctor then tapped into the network and used the building psychic power generated by the humans as a weapon against the Master, and reverse the damage he'd caused to him by removing his ability to regenerate.

Well that's where I start having problems, a Time Lord's regenerations are stored as individual 'lives' rather than as a vast pool of life and regeneration can be triggered at will. Even if we were to accept that regenerations are based on a vast pool of life, rather than individual 'lives', that life is not made of Psychic energy, but the same kind of time-based energy that fuels the TARDIS. Time Lords have never exhibited the ability to convert raw psychic energy into time energy.

Hell they even used this concept with the Dalek in Van Statten's museum and then again with the Genesis Ark, the Dalek being revitalised by the energy and the Genesis Ark being activated by it. Am I asking too much for the new series to even take into account any of the pre-existing lore? Then again, I doubt they'll stop at the 12th regeneration if it's still popular.

Azure-Supernova:

TimeLord:
The Doctor then tapped into the network and used the building psychic power generated by the humans as a weapon against the Master, and reverse the damage he'd caused to him by removing his ability to regenerate.

Well that's where I start having problems, a Time Lord's regenerations are stored as individual 'lives' rather than as a vast pool of life and regeneration can be triggered at will. Even if we were to accept that regenerations are based on a vast pool of life, rather than individual 'lives', that life is not made of Psychic energy, but the same kind of time-based energy that fuels the TARDIS. Time Lords have never exhibited the ability to convert raw psychic energy into time energy.

Hell they even used this concept with the Dalek in Van Statten's museum and then again with the Genesis Ark, the Dalek being revitalised by the energy and the Genesis Ark being activated by it. Am I asking too much for the new series to even take into account any of the pre-existing lore? Then again, I doubt they'll stop at the 12th regeneration if it's still popular.

I hesitate to point this out but you realise they've already buried the 13 lives thing and a Time Lord can regenerate almost an unlimited number of times unless outright killed?

I'm not a complete expert on the older series but I don't recall regeneration being described as either individual lives or a pool of lives. And regeneration has never been an at will thing as far as a can tell. It can be delayed and put off for as long as possible and can even outright refuse like the Master did, showing that it is a conscious choice to stop. But every regeneration I know of has been triggered by death/near death situations, 9's cells were dying from the energy of the Vortex, I think it's reasonable to assume he held off until Rose woke up so she would have some understanding of what happened. 10 obviously held off to say goodbye to his companions before finally letting it happen. River regenerated because she was dying as a kid and then because she was shot as Mel. The Master regenerated on Utopia when shot but refused on Earth. The Doctor has always stated his age as a culmination of all his regenerations. I dont think he's ever said "This life is X years old". Despite him probably not truly knowing how old he is (an assumption created based on the inconsistencies of his previous lives giving different answers whenever asked) so maybe regenerations are part of a Time Lord's pool of life.

The Master said himself "What would happen if I suspended your capacity to regenerate" before turning the Doctor into Golum. 11 stated that the Time Lord's abilities, regeneration and sensitivity to the Time Vortex came from thousands of years of exposure to the Time Vortex (presumably to do with the Untempered Schism on Gallifrey) so it's a gradual genetic DNA change when they were evolving.

I don't think the Van Statten Dalek and Genesis Ark are the same things. The last Dalek used Rose's DNA to repair itself (somehow, either way it wasn't Time Lord tech). The Genesis Ark is a Time Lord creation that can only be opened by "the one thing a Dalek can't do; touch"

You're making an assumption that 10 turned the psychic energy from the Archangel Network into "time energy" to heal himself, but considering that the Master did the opposite by altering 10's DNA to suspend his capacity to regenerate using a handheld screwdriver, I'm not sure what your point is.

TimeLord:

I hesitate to point this out but you realise they've already buried the 13 lives thing and a Time Lord can regenerate almost an unlimited number of times unless outright killed?

I think the old series said that it was enforced by Time Lord law, and the council of Time Lords once granted the Master his lives back, in exchange for helping them find the Doctor. Now that the Time Lords are gone, I don't think there's anything stopping the Doctor regenerating again.

Then again, I only watched a few old series episodes, but one of the ones I saw was the Five Doctors, and it was discussed there.

redisforever:

TimeLord:

I think the old series said that it was enforced by Time Lord law, and the council of Time Lords once granted the Master his lives back, in exchange for helping them find the Doctor. Now that the Time Lords are gone, I don't think there's anything stopping the Doctor regenerating again.

Then again, I only watched a few old series episodes, but one of the ones I saw was the Five Doctors, and it was discussed there.

Yeah I think that kinda ties in with the who "Time Lord Victorious" idea that 10 went with in 'Waters Of Mars' when he kinda went a bit nuts and realised he was following the rules of his people when he was enforcing his own rules basically and thought he could go nuts and change time to what he wanted. Obviously he was wrong but it makes the point that the Time Lords did create a lot of the rules and regulations to govern Time Travel. Including maybe the 13 lives thing to basically keep their population in check.

Infact, the TARDIS wiki states that Rassilon created the regeneration process for the "Gallifreyan Elite", but imputed the parameter of twelve regeneration cycles to "avoid decaying biogenic molecules" (BFA: Zagreus). This makes sense when the Master asks for more regenerations on his 13th life his body is decaying due to being near the end of it's life. With Rassilon dead it makes sense to assume that the limit is no more. However what consequences that will have the Doctor are obviously unforeseen as of yet.

TimeLord:

I'm not a complete expert on the older series but I don't recall regeneration being described as either individual lives or a pool of lives. And regeneration has never been an at will thing as far as a can tell. It can be delayed and put off for as long as possible and can even outright refuse like the Master did, showing that it is a conscious choice to stop.

In War Games the Second Doctor's regeneration is forced by The Time Lords without any life threatening elements, he even laments as his regeneration happens with no regard to his own will. However I wasn't aware that the 12 cycle limit was revoked, when was that? As far as I was aware it was introduced because of the risk of depreciation and integrity of Gallifreyan DNA, Omega said as much when Rassilion initially proposed they simply make Time Lords immortal. The energy would be there, but the biological bodies would decay.

TimeLord:
The Master said himself "What would happen if I suspended your capacity to regenerate" before turning the Doctor into Golum. 11 stated that the Time Lord's abilities, regeneration and sensitivity to the Time Vortex came from thousands of years of exposure to the Time Vortex (presumably to do with the Untempered Schism on Gallifrey) so it's a gradual genetic DNA change when they were evolving.

Earlier episodes state that Rassilion introduced regeneration to the Time Lords, just as he did their ability to remain fixed in time and space, as this wasn't a native trait to all Gallifreyans. It's only ever been mentioned by the man himself and Omega, so it's unlikely that any of the Time Lords knew the true source of their abilities and could only guess.

As a result I don't think that the '12 regenerations' is so much a Time Lord rule as it is a limitation imposed by Rassilion.

TimeLord:
I don't think the Van Statten Dalek and Genesis Ark are the same things. The last Dalek used Rose's DNA to repair itself (somehow, either way it wasn't Time Lord tech). The Genesis Ark is a Time Lord creation that can only be opened by "the one thing a Dalek can't do; touch"

The energy that powers the Sonic Screwdriver, TARDIS, Laser Screwdriver, the Genesis Ark and presumably a lot of other Gallifreyan technology is the same energy that Daleks adapted to use during the the Time War. I'm sure if you go gallavanting around the internet you'll eventually find a name for the stuff, but it was named in the radio series I'm sure.

Either way it's that very energy that the last Dalek extracted from Rose's DNA, with her having travelled with the Doctor in the TARDIS she had built up enough to power the Dalek. The very same energy is transferred by Mickey when he touches the Genesis Ark.

TimeLord:
You're making an assumption that 10 turned the psychic energy from the Archangel Network into "time energy" to heal himself, but considering that the Master did the opposite by altering 10's DNA to suspend his capacity to regenerate using a handheld screwdriver, I'm not sure what your point is.

The point is that the Master incorporated Lazarus' aging technology into his Laser Screwdriver and then reverse engineered it to age the Doctor. It's possible that the technology the Master used to suspend the Doctor's regenerative abilities was similar to the technology used by The Time Lords to manipulate other Time Lords regenerations.

I don't like the show, period. It's neither future fantasy nor hard science fiction. It's half arsed, and my Star Trek spoiled arse keeps calling the science out on bullshit.

BUT, and this is a huge but.

Tennant made the show for me. In general, any show with laughs can get me, and Tennant provided the most. Smith provides less, while the writing is even more bullshitty, ultimately resulting in more hate from me. I still enjoy it, but not as much as I did in Eccleston-Tennant times.

Azure-Supernova:

TimeLord:

I'm not a complete expert on the older series but I don't recall regeneration being described as either individual lives or a pool of lives. And regeneration has never been an at will thing as far as a can tell. It can be delayed and put off for as long as possible and can even outright refuse like the Master did, showing that it is a conscious choice to stop.

In War Games the Second Doctor's regeneration is forced by The Time Lords without any life threatening elements, he even laments as his regeneration happens with no regard to his own will. However I wasn't aware that the 12 cycle limit was revoked, when was that? As far as I was aware it was introduced because of the risk of depreciation and integrity of Gallifreyan DNA, Omega said as much when Rassilion initially proposed they simply make Time Lords immortal. The energy would be there, but the biological bodies would decay.

TimeLord:

Earlier episodes state that Rassilion introduced regeneration to the Time Lords, just as he did their ability to remain fixed in time and space, as this wasn't a native trait to all Gallifreyans. It's only ever been mentioned by the man himself and Omega, so it's unlikely that any of the Time Lords knew the true source of their abilities and could only guess.

As a result I don't think that the '12 regenerations' is so much a Time Lord rule as it is a limitation imposed by Rassilion.

Yeah I'd known about the Time Lords creating the 12 cycle limit (see above your post) and while I think that is the most likely canon explanation there are still conflicting explanations from other episodes too.

From TARDIS Wiki;

Another explanation stated that Time Lords had triple-helix DNA: the third strand was added by Rassilon to enable regeneration. (MA: The Crystal Bucephalus)

Yet a third idea posited that it was exposure over billions of years to the Untempered Schism that caused the Time Lords to be able to regenerate. (DW: A Good Man Goes to War)

TimeLord:

The energy that powers the Sonic Screwdriver, TARDIS, Laser Screwdriver, the Genesis Ark and presumably a lot of other Gallifreyan technology is the same energy that Daleks adapted to use during the the Time War. I'm sure if you go gallavanting around the internet you'll eventually find a name for the stuff, but it was named in the radio series I'm sure.

Either way it's that very energy that the last Dalek extracted from Rose's DNA, with her having travelled with the Doctor in the TARDIS she had built up enough to power the Dalek. The very same energy is transferred by Mickey when he touches the Genesis Ark.

TimeLord:

The point is that the Master incorporated Lazarus' aging technology into his Laser Screwdriver and then reverse engineered it to age the Doctor. It's possible that the technology the Master used to suspend the Doctor's regenerative abilities was similar to the technology used by The Time Lords to manipulate other Time Lords regenerations.

Artron Energy powers TARDISes and the last piece of Artron energy in the universes exists in the heart of the Doctor's TARDIS. This is not a finite energy source since we've obviously seen the TARDIS refuelling due to the lack of the Eye Of Harmony. Screwdrivers aren't powered by Artron Energy and have their own power sources.

But why would the Daleks create an energy source to rejuvenate themselves that requires touch? It doesn't make sence for them to have used that specific technology for themselves

EDIT: Oh and the limit was removed in a conversation between Smith's Doctor and Luke from the Sarah Jane Adventures. Luke specifically asks how many times the Doctor can regenerate and the Doctor replies that there is no limit.

Not much, I mean I like it. While I started with mr. christopher I found matt smith to be the best one of them.

Although that let's kill hitler episode was so lame, almost as lame as some of the season 4 episodes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked