What's wrong with the new Doctor Who?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Speaking as someone who appreciates a lot of what RTD and Moffat have done over the series, I'm going to say s6 is where the series really went off the rails. Splitting the seasons (thus building up tension) only to have a completely anti-climactic finale, abandon many plot points

and the way River went from HBIC to someone who

And no, I didn't find the plot convoluted or difficult to follow. I guessed it after the first episode. And yes, I know this involved a younger River. It does not excuse her actions in any form whatsoever. One would think that at her age, she already would have known

is bad. It's not like it's hard to figure out.

Also, Moffat's egotism, sexism, and complete inability to accept criticism, however constructive, for his work hasn't helped in the least. I think he does a better job at Sherlock, for all it's handling of POCs and Irene Adler. I was utterly enchanted with s5 of Doctor Who (and in fact, it's my favorite), and I loved every single one of his episodes from that season as well as previous ones. I just think he either needs to change his game plan or hand the reins over to someone who's capable of that.

Its boring, predictable and not enough people die

Captcha - That's it

How fitting

I (sort of) dislike it because;
1. Stephen Moffat is great at building suspense in an episode, but executes the ep. in an absolutely crap manner(see the 2nd feat. James Corden episode).
2. The writers have made the entire universe un-scary(except for the Silence episodes; they were awesome), probably so that the franchise is more family firendly(I'm just nitpicking here, after all, I got into DW when I was only a child, no real problems with that
3.There is absolutely no mention whatsoever of past characters, or any torchwood crossover episodes, no mention to elizabeth sladen(R.I.P.), except in that brief crossover episode in SJA, no more mention of Martha or Donna anymore, and no more re-curring baddies.
4. NOT AS MANY DALEKS D:

I have only been watching Doctor Who for a month or so now and only finished season 3 of new Who recently, but I have some complaints that I don't mind leveling at the new series.
1)The doctor gets into too many romances. Every female companion has a romantic interest in the doctor. He splits up with the last one, gets a new companion and BAM new romantic interest.
2)The plots can occasionally get very dumb or confusing. Though right now I'm mostly raging at the season 3 finale and wasn't too pleased with Voyage of the Damned either. This is not the case for every episode in the new series, but there are some in there that are not well thought out.
3)I just don't like David Tennant and I have this bizarre feeling from I've seen of the fandom that his run of the Doctor is going to tear the show apart, in that a lot of people started watching the show because of the Tenth Doctor and expect more like him, whereas fans of the classic series are not as thrilled with the Tenth Doctor and want the show to move on. I know I'm ready to start watching the Matt Smith stuff and I'm still working my way through the New Who archives.
Just my thoughts though.
Edit: I forgot, one other thing, there has never been a 2-part episode in the new series (from what I've seen) where both parts were absolutely vital. You either get really extended set up that goes no where so they can justify the awesome second episode that solves everything or you get really interesting set up and then little pay off.

TimeLord:

Artron Energy powers TARDISes and the last piece of Artron energy in the universes exists in the heart of the Doctor's TARDIS. This is not a finite energy source since we've obviously seen the TARDIS refuelling due to the lack of the Eye Of Harmony. Screwdrivers aren't powered by Artron Energy and have their own power sources.

A quick look over at the Laser Screwdrivers page claims that it runs on Artron energy, though I can't vouch for the accuracy of the article. But from the sounds of it the TARDIS used the energy it gathered from places like the Cardiff Rift to store and refine into Artron energy. It also seems to linger in Time Travellers like the void stuff did.

TimeLord:
But why would the Daleks create an energy source to rejuvenate themselves that requires touch? It doesn't make sence for them to have used that specific technology for themselves.

I don't know, I didn't write the series. Though with as little information we have on Gallifreyan technology and the Dalek's methods of extracting it, it's not a stretch to speculate that they could use their manipulator to extract it. As for why they used it? Well Time Lords use it to regenerate and it's possible it was abundant on Gallifrey and Arcadia.

TimeLord:
EDIT: Oh and the limit was removed in a conversation between Smith's Doctor and Luke from the Sarah Jane Adventures. Luke specifically asks how many times the Doctor can regenerate and the Doctor replies that there is no limit.

As before it's entirely possible that the Doctor isn't aware of this limit, though I should imagine with how popular the revival was that it has been scrapped from the canon.

Whatever they did between the tenth and eleventh, that's whats wrong, except Rory, he's all right. Call it re-branding or modernizing; whatever, the series looks and feels off. Then again I very much doubt that I was their intended audience.

ThePS1Fan:
I just want to know, I've seen plenty of people say they don't like it but I've never seen any reasons why. I'm not trying to defend New Who (although I do like it) I just want to know what problems people have with it.

I like then new Doctor Who, up until the series 5 finale, that finale was utter crap, and most everything since then has been crap.

I positively hate Amy and Rory, because since they've become full companions together in the TARDIS, the writers have practically made them the top main characters in the show. There are actually several episodes that if they didn't tie The Doctor for most time on screen, they had more time on screen them him. The show is called Doctor Who, not "Amy and Rory faffing about while looking and sounding like idiots".

I also don't like that they totally ruined River Song as a character, she was actually interesting in the Silence in the Library two parter back with Tennant, but they messed up her character by making her the daughter of Amy and Rory, by creating that bullshit precedent that making love in the TARDIS creates a Time Lord baby. It would have made more sense and been much better, if the had to have River Song be a Time Lord, they should have made her out to be some old Time Lord from The Doctor's past, or just one that he hadn't met before.

I was actually jumping for joy when I heard Moffat reveal that either Amy or Rory will be killed in one of the next series episodes, and that they wouldn't be coming back. I'm seriously hoping they change it a bit and off both of them so that neither of them can come back.

somonels:
Whatever they did between the tenth and eleventh, that's whats wrong, except Rory, he's all right. Call it re-branding or modernizing; whatever, the series looks and feels off. Then again I very much doubt that I was their intended audience.

It feels off for good reason. Stories in Doctor Who, have always in some way been mostly about The Doctor, about the strange and mysteriousness of The Doctor and how he solves problems. More an more since Series 5 started, the show hasn't been about The Doctor, but has been about Amy and Rory, and River Song and her insanely stupid origin story.

Azure-Supernova:

TimeLord:

Artron Energy powers TARDISes and the last piece of Artron energy in the universes exists in the heart of the Doctor's TARDIS. This is not a finite energy source since we've obviously seen the TARDIS refuelling due to the lack of the Eye Of Harmony. Screwdrivers aren't powered by Artron Energy and have their own power sources.

A quick look over at the Laser Screwdrivers page claims that it runs on Artron energy, though I can't vouch for the accuracy of the article. But from the sounds of it the TARDIS used the energy it gathered from places like the Cardiff Rift to store and refine into Artron energy. It also seems to linger in Time Travellers like the void stuff did.

TimeLord:
But why would the Daleks create an energy source to rejuvenate themselves that requires touch? It doesn't make sence for them to have used that specific technology for themselves.

I don't know, I didn't write the series. Though with as little information we have on Gallifreyan technology and the Dalek's methods of extracting it, it's not a stretch to speculate that they could use their manipulator to extract it. As for why they used it? Well Time Lords use it to regenerate and it's possible it was abundant on Gallifrey and Arcadia.

TimeLord:
EDIT: Oh and the limit was removed in a conversation between Smith's Doctor and Luke from the Sarah Jane Adventures. Luke specifically asks how many times the Doctor can regenerate and the Doctor replies that there is no limit.

As before it's entirely possible that the Doctor isn't aware of this limit, though I should imagine with how popular the revival was that it has been scrapped from the canon.

It doesn't fit that the Doctor wouldn't know. He stopped the Master when he tried to gain a new cycle of regenerations from the Eye Of Harmoney (The Deadly Assassin). So he must of been aware that the Master's body was dying due to him being on his 13th form.

The Doctor never states that the background radiation is Artron Energy. He specifically tells Donna in 'The Runaway Bride' that his TARDIS holds the last particle of Artron energy in the universe and that the stuff that Donna had in her was a alien made liquid form and not pure Artron energy. Since he says this literally one episode after he goes on about the background radiation sucking the Daleks, Cybermen Doctor and Rose into the void (Doomsday) I doubt they are one and the same.

EDIT: Of course a lot of this is speculation. But speculation is cool.

Azure-Supernova:

They would have to scrap it somehow, because it is established canon. The Doctor does know about the limit, because he mentions it in that movie from 1996.

My favourite doctor is Tennant, but I quite like Matt Smith too. I was sceptical before I saw the first episode with him in it and then pleasantly surprised once I'd seen it. It's more that I don't like where Steven Moffat is taking the series; for example the new Daleks are shit and look like Super Morphin Power Rangers, all plastic and bright colours. Bleh.

I have enjoyed episodes that Steve Moffat has done - "Blink" is a favourite - but having him in charge of the entire series was IMO a bit of a mistake.

Sonic Doctor:
I positively hate Amy and Rory, because since they've become full companions together in the TARDIS.

New companions have been announced, I didn't like Amy or Rory either.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116452-And-The-Doctors-New-Assistant-Is

I find it rather odd that people are saying that they don't like the new Doctor Who for being too happy, goody-goody and filled with people that all love the Doctor. Clearly, they haven't even been watching it, because, it has gone all the more the total opposite of all these things since Matt Smith came on the scene.

Personally, I love the new style the show has taken on leagues better than before. Pre-Moffat was... painful. Embarrassingly-cheesy, most of the time. Now, the stories are more complex and imaginative. And to those that think that the Matt Smith Doctor has been spending far too many of his episodes on Earth, I say again... "watch the show". It's amazing how people's opinions can be formed, based of stuff that never actually happened.

ThePS1Fan:

Sonic Doctor:
I positively hate Amy and Rory, because since they've become full companions together in the TARDIS.

New companions have been announced, I didn't like Amy or Rory either.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116452-And-The-Doctors-New-Assistant-Is

I knew it before I saw that article. I said at the end of the post you quoted that I knew that Amy and Rory would be leaving, that Moffat said that in that coming episode, one of them would die and he means it this time.

I saw it in an article that was talking about the new companion and said death to come. It will have something to do with the Weeping Angels.

He is way too pleased with himself, when he gets things done is way too smug. DOn't get me wrong I love DOctor Who, BUT my god I want to beat him to death with his bow-tie at times.

That and also the third wheel... Rory... /sigh

Just....

/sigh

VoidWanderer:

Just....

/sigh

Sorry, how is Rory a third wheel? He's the one who married Amy, and a lot of people find the addition of a married couple on the TARDIS interesting, especially since we've been able to see the relationship grow. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Amy, and I dislike a lot of things about last season, but I disagree that Rory is a third wheel. I do think he should have gotten some character focus, though.

Zachary Amaranth:

Zen Toombs:

TheOneBearded:
Who has been saying that? I like this Doctor, although I liked Tennant better (he was my first Doctor). However, the stories can sometimes feel too "goody-goody" and I really don't care about Amy Pond.

"Goody goody"? the [Matt Smith] Doctor is FAR more dark and morally ambiguous than [Tennant] Doctor.

OT: Absolutely nothing.

He said stories, which I think is kinda accurate. They're rather sugary, even though the Doctor is not.

I don't know. The episode where Amy became trapped in the past was pretty dark for me. It was pretty standard until they start asking the questions like "How can we save one Amy without dooming the other?" and the answer being pretty much "We can't".

Some of the other episodes have been a bit "ehhh" but I would never say it's because they were asinine or just badly written but more that they're just not as good as the others.

OT: Reasons why though... people just don't like change. That's all I can think of. Can't understand why people don't like Amy though. She's definitely my favourite companion, Martha being my least favourite.

Stalydan:

I don't know. The episode where Amy became trapped in the past was pretty dark for me. It was pretty standard until they start asking the questions like "How can we save one Amy without dooming the other?" and the answer being pretty much "We can't".

Which is really the exception, rather than the rule. Even episodes with some seriously dark overtones end up having happy endings (The Beast Below is a pretty good example). And while the Amy episode (I think it's called "The Girl Who Waited") was pretty dark, a good chunk of season six was frosting, even while the arc was dealing with the Doctor's death.

It's not a bad thing. One of my favourite moments of the new series is the confrontation(s) at the end of the Eleventh Hour. But by the end of the season, it got kind of silly. And that doesn't make it bad, either. I think I like Smith more than even Tennant, so I'm not bashing the dude.

Though Series six did bother me in many ways that have more to do with the writing than the actor.

But I digress. Smith good, Doctor Who good, But show too sweet lot of times.

Flight:
He's the one who married Amy

And he's of such import that he gets called "Mr Pond" in what might as well be a case of genre savvy.

Zachary Amaranth:

Flight:
He's the one who married Amy

And he's of such import that he gets called "Mr Pond" in what might as well be a case of genre savvy.

Excuse me? What's wrong with a husband deciding to take his wife's name? Absolutely nothing. Women are expected to change their names, but if the men happen to make that decision, they're vilified. I have a lot of problems with the way their relationship is treated, but that isn't one of them. Aside from token joking around, Rory doesn't appear to mind being "Mr. Pond" in the least.

Stalydan:

OT: Reasons why though... people just don't like change. That's all I can think of. Can't understand why people don't like Amy though. She's definitely my favourite companion, Martha being my least favourite.

One of the things I don't like about Amy was a bit of intial `Blagh, pretty girl fancies Doctor, what else is new?`, that's why Donna was my favourite companion. Also, this may sound pretty shallow but I didn't think Amy fancying this Doctor was that believable, I just dont think Matt Smith is attractive. That may be kind of harsh of me though.

Martha was my least favourite too, though. She was just kind of a doormat for the Doctor, they could have done better things with her.

JasonKaotic:
The writing. To me the quality has dropped since series 3 (although that was more to do with the general feel of the series than the writing quality), but it got particularly bad in series 5.

I have to agree with you there. I think the revived series reached it's peak during series 2/3 (Although personally Christopher Eccleston remains my favourite Doctor) whereas series 4 was a big disapointment for me. The 2009 specials were great though. The newest series though? Eugh. In my opinion series 6 had only three properly good episodes(Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon/The God Complex, if you're wondering)

Steven Moffat.

Period.

Matt Smith works as the Doctor when Moffat doesn't screw him over. He wrote on great episode and made Captain Jack but then proceeded to break his own cannon and belabored two seasons on how Amy is special and the whole thing with River. They never should have explained River's background in the manner that they did. Rory was a great character that is always awesome, so long as Amy's not around to make him a sniveling coward. Heck, so much about the last two seasons is solved with either "the power of love" or "universal memory" by Amy while the Doctor and Rory do the majority of the work. At least the Bad Wolf plotline was a one-time Deux Ex and not the recurring mess that Moffat wrote.

The same problem I have with all the Dr. Who's, the doc always wins. Where is the suspense and the excitement if you know nothing is in actual peril?

It is like being told the score of a football game then watching it, you know who won and not knowing is what makes it worth watching. Sure the "how" is okay but it's hollow if you know the end result.

Plus the cheese! It has to be the most corny thing I have ever witnessed, I haven't seen all the baddies but they are either adorable (adipose), fucking useless (daleks) or just comical (slitheen) ... ok, I have seen one baddies that was awesome, the mechanical dudes wearing Victorian clothes and white masks.

Every set looks cheap and just lacking, it looks like the crystal maze! They could be part of the charm but it is off putting.

Freezy_Breezy:
Matt Smith broke the line between "Witty and confident" to "self-righteous and arrogant" in my personal books. I don't like people like that in real life, and I don't want to watch those sort of people on TV.

But I'm aware that's personal opinion and I don't run around screaming "It sucks, it sucks!" or anything. I just loved Tennant so much more.

I've been trying to find the proper words to explain why I dislike Smith so much, and I think this sums it up better than I ever could. Self-righteous and arrogant rather than witty and confident. Thank you.

Flight:

VoidWanderer:

Just....

/sigh

Sorry, how is Rory a third wheel? He's the one who married Amy, and a lot of people find the addition of a married couple on the TARDIS interesting, especially since we've been able to see the relationship grow. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Amy, and I dislike a lot of things about last season, but I disagree that Rory is a third wheel. I do think he should have gotten some character focus, though.

He might've gained some character/backbone in the later seasons, but early on he is the weak-willed character who tries to gain control of a situation by complaining and questioning everything. If he went with Amy at the beginning then he might have been fine, but he doesn't trust the woman he loves because of the Doctor...

I prefer Matt Smiths geeky, morally questionable doctor, but I think Tennant was a far better actor.

VoidWanderer:

He might've gained some character/backbone in the later seasons, but early on he is the weak-willed character who tries to gain control of a situation by complaining and questioning everything. If he went with Amy at the beginning then he might have been fine, but he doesn't trust the woman he loves because of the Doctor...

I was actually under the impression that the reason he doesn't trust the woman he loves because she kissed another guy the night before she was supposed to marry him. I do like his character development, though.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Hey, while I'm here, can I ask why so many people hate Martha? I thought she was alright. Yeah, she had that stupid romantic subplot, but so did Rose, who everyone loves for some reason. (She just annoys the hell out of me) And in "Last of the Timelords", she essentially becomes Gordon Freeman, so that's pretty badass, right?

I hated Martha when she was the Doctor's companion because at first she was so fucking stuck on herself and didn't really seem to give a shit about the people around her and then suddenly she was all in love with the Doctor and got all hurt when he fell the other chick in in that Family of Blood deal. She became a much better character in her later guest appearances and her guest appearances in Torchwood though, and then at the end of Tennant's run was married to Mickey.

Flight:

Excuse me? What's wrong with a husband deciding to take his wife's name? Absolutely nothing.

Except he didn't, so you seem to be getting offended for nothing.

But really, he was only important in 99% of cases because he was Amy's boy. They frequently made him comic relief to precisely that end. Which, I might add, is evident even in that "token joking around."

Rory gets a few moments to shine, but he's usually there because Amy and really little reason that would justify anything more than a background character. Additionallt, this is one of the reasons they keep killing him.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Hey, while I'm here, can I ask why so many people hate Martha? I thought she was alright. Yeah, she had that stupid romantic subplot, but so did Rose, who everyone loves for some reason. (She just annoys the hell out of me) And in "Last of the Timelords", she essentially becomes Gordon Freeman, so that's pretty badass, right?

Martha is "Not Rose." That's her biggest crime. the same way Smith is "Not Tennant."

I like Martha. The subplot wasn't all that big a deal, and she actually justified her presence in the TARDIS. I prefer Donna, who was annoying but had the best character arc of all the modern companions.

The big problem with the new series compared to the old one isn't acting or writing but format. The old shows were 4 to 8 30 minute episodes per story. For start that means there has to be more story than the current 1 hour shows. You had more room for character development, the Doctor would meet new people in each story and you got a chance to know them more and gave the writers more chance to explain their motivations. You also got a cliff hanger every week which built up the tension more than is possible with current format. There was a sense of time passing between each episode which made the show seem less like the Doctor defeating the Spuggles in 15 minutes. You had more opportunities for things to go wrong for the Doctor or him to be wrong about what is happening.

The new series is good and has some talented writers and actors, but the BBC in hope of selling into the US market went for the 1 hour with ads format. Which in fact gives only 42 minutes of time once you have taken out the credits and adverts. Its tough ask to pack each week a new setup and resolution in that time and get the same quality as the old series. It has done it on occasions, the The Empty Child being a case in point, but not consistently.

Zachary Amaranth:
snip

I apologize if I mis-read you, but I respectfully disagree that I'm "getting upset at nothing." Still, that's another line of thought for another time.

Back on-topic, I think Martha was disliked mostly because she wasn't Rose, and it took people awhile to get used to the idea of companions in Doctor Who to be leaving, as a lot of them came into DW around its reincarnation and so weren't used to the cast change-up, I think. While I don't always like the companions, I can't say I've ever hated one yet.

Matt Smith is a great doctor, and Moffat has written interesting stories - sort of. Season 5 was terrible, if you ask me, but season 6 was pretty epic, even though River Song is a totally unlikable character.

I'm more curious as to why so many people don't like Amy Pond... O_o

Still, Matt Smith isn't bad, but Tennant was better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked