Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

war... war never changes
-Fallout

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you"
"Organics do not CHOOSE to fear us, it is a function of your hardware"
- Legion, from an old Mass effect 2 trailer.

"Your technology is based on that of the mass relays, OUR technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire"
"Your words are as empty as your future"
"The cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve,advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished"
"Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us, is irrelevant. We simply...are."
"We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization have been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure"
-Sovereign, a reaper from Mass effect.

"Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater"
"You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control"
"Your fight against inevitability, DUST struggling against cosmic winds"
"Know this as you die in vane, your time WILL come, your species WILL fall. Prepare yourself for the arrival..."
-Harbinger, another reaper from Mass effect 2

This, exactly... is why I was so disapointed that there were no reapers to talk to in ME3...

That and the fact that the citadel just gets captured and dragged to earth with no explanation whatsoever on the fate of its defenders and the millions of civilians on board. (Conrad Verner, Bailey, Aria, the council,...) I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned these before... or is it just because of the mess that the last ten minutes were?

EDIT: oh and to add my own quote;

-"We use it to smuggle rations, weapons,..."
-"Basically everything the UNSC considers contraband?"
-"Basically."

(I find myself using the word 'basically' more often than I should and nearly always in that tone.)

"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." - Dad from Fallout 3

So many meanings...

"Who are you, that you do not know your history?."
"Burn away the flags. Begin again." - Ulysses from New Vegas

Also, from GTA IV

Niko - Capitalism is a dirty buisness
Roman - Like war?
Niko - ...not exactly

Trillovinum:

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you"
"Organics do not CHOOSE to fear us, it is a function of your hardware"
- Legion, from an old Mass effect 2 trailer.

"Your technology is based on that of the mass relays, OUR technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire"
"Your words are as empty as your future"
"The cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve,advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished"
"Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us, is irrelevant. We simply...are."
"We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization have been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure"
-Sovereign, a reaper from Mass effect.

"Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater"
"You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control"
"Your fight against inevitability, DUST struggling against cosmic winds"
"Know this as you die in vane, your time WILL come, your species WILL fall. Prepare yourself for the arrival..."
-Harbinger, another reaper from Mass effect 2

This, exactly... is why I was so disapointed that there were no reapers to talk to in ME3...

There is the one reaper destroyer that you speak to on Rannoch.

But other than that yes I totally agree, another verbal confrontation with harbinger would have been awesome.

Also about the fate of the people on the citadel after it is captured, well I can only assume that they all died or some got evacuated. I can also only assume that every living being in the galaxy is dead now that the relays exploded.

Okay 2

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Ork Warboss
live by this phrase everyday

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The Sith code as Darth Bane taught it
I follow most of the code part from the force bit

"We are shadows in the shape of men" - Liquid Snake to Solid Snake in MGS4

I knew this bloke once, right and he used to masturbate so much that he grew very fond of his hand. So much so, that he began to talk to it and he put a little face on it and he called it Muriel and after a while Muriel began to talk back to him. He would get her all doled up in make up and specially made little clothes and at night she'd go down and make intense, mad, passionate love to him. Anyway, one night about three am he wakes up in a cold sweat and hears all this panting and moaning and groaning coming from the next door neighbours apartment. He looks down at his hand, there's nothing there. Its gone. Its just this bloodied stump. So he staggers out into the hallway and he sees that the next door neighbour's doors is wide open. So he pops his head in and what does he see, on the bed, his hand, Muriel, all dressed up to the nines, make up on, going down on the next door neighbour.It's a true story.

Danny from He Died With A Felafel In His Hand.

"I wish you intelligence because luck runs out."

-Thalantyr, Baldur's Gate

"We can't allow sentimentalism, to interfere with the growth of scientific knowledge." - Doctor Kensaku Ijuin in the movie Godzilla vs Destroyah.

I used this quote to conclude an essay once. I've always wanted to hear this quote played when you discover the scientific method in Civ V.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives

~Ned Stark

that wasn't really the case though with Arya

onewheeled999:
It's not exact, but it's something along these lines..

"What makes you think humans can help? They haven't even figured out their own religion."
-Gatatog Uvenk (Tuchanka, Mass Effect 2)

Actually, that's a quote from an asari police officer in Illium, before going to the crime scene when you meet Samara.

OT:
I'm going to say the obvious one. Would you kindly guess what is it, like a good slave?

"If I fail to offer myself, we will surely be overrun. My fate would be the same."
Selfless Cathar
Magic the Gathering

"As long as we can utter a prayer or lift a weapon, we have the power to fight back."
-Thalia, Knight-Cathar
Magic the Gathering

"I wish my work could shelter everyone, yet I pray we are never so few that it does."
Gavony Ironwright
Magic the Gathering

"Thraben is our home and I will not see it fall to this unhallowed horde."
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Magic the Gathering

I just can't but love the humans in the Innistrad block.

and for the actual video game quote:
Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.

Only by allowing strangers in, we can find new ways to BE ourselves.

both are from The World Ends With You... those two quotes really changed how I look at things.

Raven's Nest:
"You can't predict how people will act... But you can change how you'll respond... " - Commander Shepard

This is probably one of the wisest things I've ever heard in a videogame and has given me pause for thought many a time over the years.

When does s/he say that?

soren7550:

Raven's Nest:
"You can't predict how people will act... But you can change how you'll respond... " - Commander Shepard

This is probably one of the wisest things I've ever heard in a videogame and has given me pause for thought many a time over the years.

When does s/he say that?

At the end of Garrus's side quest in Mass Effect 1. You must take Garrus with you and choose to let Dr Saleon live.

Doing this alters some of Garrus's dialogue in the other games too I'm told?

"................"
-Gordon Freeman, Half Life

"War, war never changes"
-Narrator, Fallout

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! -Warhammer 40k

And the one guy who could threaten us lives in another country and isn't in the slightest bit intrested in our stupid operation -FUCK THAT, lets go shoot at him! -From a zero punctuation review, technically said by a fictional character.

VEGETA! What does the scanner say about his power level?
It's over NINE THOUSAND!
WHAT!? NINE THOUSAND? THERE'S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT -Dragon Ball Z

I need a bigger fucking gun -The salvation war

I regret to report that I am no longer fit for duty... -Random hobgoblin after saving his commander from a boulder, the order of the stick

And how the FUCK has no one said this yet: The cake is a lie -Portal

"People were rendered mute by fools who spoke many words but said nothing. For whom oppression and cowardice were virtues, and freedom... an obscenity." - sampson (Carnivale)

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."

- Angela Orosco, Silent Hill 2

"Monsters? They look like MONSTERS to you?"

- Brother Vincent, Silent Hill 3

"My name is Oerba Dia Vanille. I'm a L'Cie, from Gran Pulse, and to everyone on Cocoon... Evil. Shoot me! For your son!"

- Vanille, Final Fantasy 13

"Bella, it's mummy. I came to get you!"

- Zombie Melissa, Siren Bloodcurse

"A man who rushes into battle is not a brave man. He is merely a stupid man with a big sword"
-Odysseus, Lord of the Silver Bow

"You can't fight ideas with bullets" - Deus Ex

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world" - Gman

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is there is no mystery."

- Judge Holden, Blood Meridian

"It is the folly of men to believe that they are great players on the stage of history, that their actions might affect the grand procession that is the passage of time. It is an insulating conceit a powerful man might clasp tight to his bosom that he might sleep away the night, safe in the knowledge that, but for his presence, the world would not turn, the mountains would crumble and the seas dry up. But in the remembrance of history has taught us anything, it is that, in time, all things wll pass. Unnumbered civilisations before ours are naught but dust and bones, and the greatest heroes of their age are forgotten legends. No man lives forever and even as memory fades, so too will any remembrance of him.It is a universal truth and an unavoidable law that cannot be denied, despite the protestations of the vain, the arrogant and the tyrannical."

-From one of the Horus Heresy books

"Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me that believes in you!"
God damn is it cheesy but I love it.

JamesStone:

onewheeled999:
It's not exact, but it's something along these lines..

"What makes you think humans can help? They haven't even figured out their own religion."
-Gatatog Uvenk (Tuchanka, Mass Effect 2)

Actually, that's a quote from an asari police officer in Illium, before going to the crime scene when you meet Samara.

Really? Damn, I could have sworn it was on Tuchanka. Oh well, good eye.

"Perhaps it is man who should rule the galaxy, man, whose lives are so short, and whose ambitions not so grand..."

Corax, Primarch of the Raven Guard

"We determine the guilty, we decide the punishment"

Oath of the Adeptus Arbites

"Sometimes, the only victory that can be claimed is assuring that your opponent does not succeed..."

The Emperor of Mankind

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole COUNTRY decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else- The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or consequences.

When the mob & press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell them all- 'NO. YOU MOVE.'"

-Captain America.

Not a game, but there's one line from Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead that got me to tear up:
"We don't want to be there first. We want to be there too."

Also, VAE VICTIS!

Cipher1:
"You keep your head down, you get on with it and then you die... if your lucky"

Ergh, I know that quote but I can't think of where it's from and it's bugging me, where is that quote from?

It's not really a line, but a full conversation. But Death from the Discworld books is one of my favorite characters of all time and this is one of the big reasons why. It sums up human nature pretty well.

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET-Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME... SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point-"

MY POINT EXACTLY."

[Everything] - Halo 2

I can't help it, I just love(d) that game so much.

GamerAddict7796:
"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." - Dad from Fallout 3

Don't you mean the Book of Revelations haha?

I do dig Thucydides' 'The strong do what they will, and the weak suffer what they must.' from the Melian Dialogue. Mostly because it's one of the earliest descriptions of power structures and still stands as a valid interpretation of modern society (all societies really).

Mass Effect Series

Commander Shepard: You deserve better tali.
Tali: I got better Shepard, I got you.

Harry Dresden
"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Doctor Who
Mind you, I quite like hope. Hope's a good emotion. And here it comes.
Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King. But the point still stands

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Just a scratch, fly boy. But I think...I think your on your own now.

Epictank of Wintown:

"Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

-Alfred Pennyworth to Bruce Wayne

These are just a few. I'm sure I'll remember more.

First, I love both of those films. Second, I read that unsnipped portion out loud and gave myself chills. Michael Caine delivered that last line perfectly.

Captcha: narrow-minded. What are you trying to say, Captcha? Jeez, it's resorting to insults now.

Edit: Oh, crap, right, OT:

"Metal Gear!?!?"

Second Edit:

"Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired."

"Those of you helping us test the repulsion gel today, just follow the blue line on the floor. Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news: bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"A man chooses, a slave obeys" -Andrew Ryan

That line is something I think whenever I make a choice.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked