Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

"Death is always smiling at us. The only thing a man can do is to smile back."
-Maximus Decimus Meridius, Gladiator.

"I too once felt the feelings that you carry now. I questioned the things whose true forms are invisible. But when all was said and done, all I was left with was nothingness and disgust. And to that disgust we all carry I simply say: Not I" - Dr. Zorndyke.

The above quote is a commentary on the pointlessness of hatred and vengeance. It is a rejection of those petty sentiments that cause us to say and do things that harm others for no reason or profit.

That Guy Ya Know:
SMAC is full of these every time you research a technology. Some of my favourites:

"Resources exists to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill."

-CEO Nwabudike Morgan.

"Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why should the future be different?"

-Col. Corazon Santiago

"What Goes up ... better doggone well stay up!"

- Morgan Gravitonics, Company Slogan

"Some would ask how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all?"

-Sister Miriam Godwinson

I need to stop before I type every quote in the game.

No, you must continue. Here, let me help you with one of my favorites:

"The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist. Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say 'It cannot be done.'"

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

"And can you offer me proof of your existence? How can you, when neither modern science nor philosophy can explain what life is?" - The Puppetmaster Ghost in the Shell

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out." - Dolorous Edd from A song of Ice and Fire.

"How come I never make friends like that?"
"You need to get out more."
"We're in another galaxy. How much more out can you get?" - McKay and Beckett from SGA.

It's stuck with me since I first saw it.

"I always thought that life was about standing your ground, no matter how strong the current was. But going with the flow isn't so bad after all. As long as it takes you forward."

"People can't be just tied together. They have to connect. Otherwise, they'll find themselves bound hand and foot."

"I might cry tomorrow, but I may be smiling the day after. That's enough. That's the way life is. If I don't lose hope - tomorrow will come. Tomorrow will come if we don't lose hope..."

Nana is awesome.

If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

- The Nameless One.

"You were deafened."
"At last you could hear..."
"You were broken."
"You were whole..."
"You were blinded."
"And at last....you saw..."

- From KoTOR II

[quote="Vault101" post="18.361804.14207068"]
"..divine bloodline or not..you can't fuck your sister and expect any good to come out of it"
-guy whos name I forgot, preacher

That was Herr Starr.
From the same comic (and from memory, so maybe it wasn´t like that)

"-Did you met any Welsh?
-No...
-Have you ever eat turnips?
-Yes.
-Well. they are the same."

bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you. - Tyrion Lannister

It was worded even better in the book I believe, it struck me in each regardless and is wonderfully worded in each format

"Life is a negotiation. We all give, to get what we want." - Mordin Solus (read rapidly with nasal tone), ME2.

"I cant believe the special stories that have been made up about our relationship with the universe at large, because they seem to be too connected, too local, too... provincial. One of the aspects of God came to the earth, THE EARTH mind you, and then look at whats out there. it just... just isn't in proportion." - Richard Feynman, physicist.

The last one i remember somewhat, so i watched the video where i first heard it again,great vid on youtube "THE FEYNMAN SERIES (part 1) - Beauty", quote is actually from an interview with the man in 70s or something.

If you cannot defeat your enemy with the weapon you do have, then imagine one with which you could.

- Archer from Fate Stay Night (Visual Novel)

I love this quote because, while it has a direct meaning in context, you can apply it to pretty much any situation and I think it still has something important to say.

"Everyone has diffrent ways to grief. Some people fuck at funerals. I cut of heads."- Travis Touchdown, No More Heroes

"No one touches Oghren's junk and lives!"- Oghren, Dragon Age Awakening

"If smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon. The crowd goes wild with dismay and then commits mass suicide." Karkat, Homestuck

"Oh look commander, they're making a new Blasto movie. Also a expo on losing weight with biotics.....oh, and GIANT KILLER ROBOTS invading everywhere......these people have no idea."- Joker, Mass Effect

"very generation thinks that its battles are the greatest of all time. Time keeps marching on."
- Kotor Jolee Bindo

"very generation thinks that its battles are the greatest of all time. Time keeps marching on."
- Kotor Jolee Bindo

There are a couple.

"I was weak. That's why I needed you. I needed someone to punish me for my sins. But that's all over now. I know the truth. Now it's time to end this."
James Sunderland, Silent Hill 2

"I do what I do because I like to do."
Alex (narrating), A Clockwork Orange (book)

"THIS IS SPARTA!!!" -300

ME3 got something right for us soldiers:

"Who's like us?"
"Damn few. And they're all dead."

Wish that became a thing with my unit. Sadly, only two of us actually play Mass Effect.

"Bulkhead may be...too large for this world, but his inner strength know no bounds."
-optimus prime from Transformers Prime

i don't watch the show but when i saw that clip, i cried tears of inspiration because it was optimus friggin prime (voiced by the original, peter cullen, which is extra awesome)

"I don't wanna have to kill anyone, I just don't like bullies."
-Captain America from the recent Captain America movie

having been bullied myself when i was in elementary, middle, and high school, this quote just struct such a huge chord with me personally.

"THE BOULDER FEELS CONFLICTED"
-The Boulder from Avatar; The the last Airbender Book 2: earth

the boulder is conflicted

"Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage. The spirit gone, man is garbage. That was Snowden's secret. Ripeness was all."
Catch-22

I like this one because it gives the protagonist a more noble reason to not participate in the war than cowardice. It undermines the senseless violence that occurred for the last 40 chapters (by which time he's lost practically all his friends) but still gives a glimmer of hope for him to hold onto. It makes the ending that much more satisfactory.

*while doing an obstacle course*
"Is your name Joey?"
"No"
"Cause I'm going to call you Slowy Joey!"
"But that's not my name..."
"What's that SLOWY?!? I can't understand you because you're talking so slow!!!"
-Psychonaughts

*while doing an obstacle course*
"Is your name Joey?"
"No"
"Cause I'm going to call you Slowy Joey!"
"But that's not my name..."
"What's that SLOWY?!? I can't understand you because you're talking so slow!!!"
-Psychonaughts

It a speech that starts around 8:39. My friends and I use to always make stuff up and adults always took it the wrong way.

And this because of how horribly true it is.

Chiasm:
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

AM- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

It's amazing how much that one paragraph alone can set the story for the rest of the game to follow.

I love both the game and the short story that it was based on. I thought it had the best voice acting ever even though it was made in the 90s!

OT: "Even in the deepest darkness, there is light" - Sora, Kingdom Hearts
That phrase is what I base my life around. No matter what bad stuff happens, it can always get better.

"They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear."
-The God-Emperor of Mankind

"Listen closely Brothers, for my life's breath is all but spent. There shall come a time far from now when our chapter itself is dying, even as I am now dying. Then my children, I shall list'n for your call from whatever realms of death hold me, and come I shall no-matter what laws of life and death forbid. At the end I will be there. For the final battle. For the Wolftime."
-Primarch Leman Russ

Did I mention I really love me some Warhammer40K?

For me, it's "Never say never ever." It's from Doctor Who and it was the Doctor who said it.

The actual context of the quote is not fantastic as he was saying it about the possibility of him and Rose being separated (she said they were never ever going to be torn apart, and then he said this line, and then two episodes or so later, that's exactly what happened), but the quote stuck with me. I think it's a good quote to try and live by, and I know it's easier said than done.

I've let it sort of become my life motto, but it is difficult sometimes. Still love it though.

"There's some good in the world, and it's worth fighting for."

Samwise Gamgee- Lord of the Rings.

JaceArveduin:
"Was it red-red-green, or red-green-red?" -Scorch, Republic Commando

"Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, then there's something you don't know." Foaly, Artemis Fowl.

"According to some, 2 heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.

2 Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind." Bartimaeus, Bartimaeus Trilogy

Theoden's speech on the Fields of Pelennor

I'm bad at remembering quotes, same for jokes XD I knew the basics of the Barty one, but had to look it up to get it exactly.

Your choice in novels is impressive, if I do say so myself

Also,

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me."
- The Code of the Sith

I dunno why this one speaks to me. It just... does. It's definitely much better than the Code of the Jedi, what with the "there is no emotion" bit.

2fish:
Only to those who want for nothing else need find beauty in a piece of rock."- Nicomo Cosca

Except for that's bullshit, because I can assure you even the most amateur Geologist can find beauty in a piece of rock :P

Ima go ahead and say:

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants." - Frank.

That quote is so deep, points for guessing what it is from.

"'We had no choice'. Always 'we had no choice'. Those are our magic words. We repeat them to ourselves again and again. But you know... the magic never worked! All we're left with is regret."

"The hardest person to know is yourself."

"A defeat learned from is more important than an empty victory."

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes, well, the bar... he eats you."

"The Dude abides."

"The enemy's gate is down" -Ender Wiggin

You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy. "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged."

This has stuck with me for years. They are very powerful words, it's a pity more haven't heard them.

Star Trek was full of messages like this, it's a shame many claim it's just a show for "nerds".

"I've got a boner for murder!" Sarge, Red vs Blue. Just because it's funny.

"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" Deus Ex trailer.

And for all the wrong reasons; (paraphrasing)
"If you're not prepared to die, then you're already dead." ME3 trailer. Such a stupid line that I can't get it out of my head.

"Death need not be the end of hope." - That one guy from Drakengard.

"God was a dream of good government. You will have your god, you will create him yourselves." Morpheus, Deus Ex.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked