Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

"Had to be me. Someone else might've gotten wrong"
--Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2/3

"Church, do you ever wonder why we're here?"
"You know Caboose, I used to not care. I just went along with orders and hoped everything would work out for me. But after all that's happened, do you know what I've learned? It's not about hating the guy on the other side because someone told you to. I mean, you should hate someone because they're an asshole, or a pervert, or a snob, or they're lazy, or arrogant, or an idiot, or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to, you have learn to despise people on a personal level. Not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them, and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total fucking douche bag."
--Caboose and Church (Red vs. Blue Episode 100)

"A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all you think about. You can focus on it and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, well maybe, just maybe, it'll come to you."
--Church (Red vs. Blue Revelation Episode 20)

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the rocket propulsion test chamber!"
--Gordan Freeman (Freeman's Mind Episode 19)

"Remember Billy, you must never put your ring on, or Ring Wraiths will come and stab you to death with knives, pointy knives, that burn with the fires of a thousand evils"
"Coooool!"
--One Ring to Rule Them All 2

"I like all religions. If you have a problem in your life and you just deal with it using religion, that's fine. I use Google, but whatever you need."
--Simon Amstell(Never Mind the Buzzcocks) - I guess technically that isn't fictional, but it's from a TV show so I'm going to count it.

"Friends who wanna stay friends don't discuss two things: politics, and religion."- Cole Phelps

My life has been much better since I started putting this one into action.

This is actually fairly recent, as in last week recent, was watching OMFGCATA's playthrough of the Pandaren starting zone in the mists of pandaria beta when they read out this line from the quest text (to the best of my knowledge as the youtube video was in low quality so I couldn't read the text myself, curse my bad net connection)

"We do not live to find ourselves, we live to create ourselves"

I paused the video and sat there for a good 15 minites, its something I'd never thought of before.

So often in life we think about what we should be, who we should be, society is all about finding ourselves. People worry about fate, about destiny, about who they should be, finding who they are. Lord knows I've fallen into those traps myself but that... that threw me for a loop.

It said to me I shouldn't be hunting for myself, he isn't out there, I'm here, now, I'm me and everything I do is creating me, not meeting some predetermined man I'm supposed to be, there is no set fate. I am what I make myself, what life I choose to create for myself.

So thank you random Pandaren NPC quest giver for giving me that to think on and a rather refreshing sense of freedom and control over my life.

Wenseph:
"We all have our delusions" - Aria T'loak.

Eve, the female krogan, says something about turning on a light and there will be darkness no more, but I forgot the exact wording.

Those are the ones I remember right now...

I think this is close: "It only takes one candle to light a fire, and then the darkness is gone."

OT:
In war, victory.
In peace, vigilance.
In death, sacrifice.
-Grey Wardens, Dragon Age

"I only have two rules. The first rule is to never kill someone without a reason."
"And the second rule?"
"You can always find a reason to kill someone.
-Saren and David Anderson, one of the Mass Effect novels.

EDIT: Definitely paraphrased:
"The worst insult an enemy can suffer is to be ignored."
-Warlord Okeer, Mass Effect 2

"None of us are the heroes we're supposed to be."
~Link, There Will Be Brawl

"I'm not a hero. Heroes let people down."
~Megaman, Captain SNES (later echoed by Alex)

"A man chooses. A slave obeys. Are you a man, or a slave?"
~Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

"Our world, with its rules of causality, has trained us to be miserly with forgiveness. By forgiving them too readily, we can be badly hurt. But if we've learned from a mistake and became better for it, shouldn't we be rewarded for the learning, rather than punished for the mistake?"
~Narration, Braid

Literally everything from Alpha Centauri.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Alpha_Centauri

In particular:

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole, indistinguishable from the original in every way, including the so-called "moral value" of the art itself. Nothing can transcend its smallest elements.
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

To understand a thing is to know the manner by which it might be destroyed. A fundamental understanding of the basic building-blocks of the Universe is essential, then, to the total destruction of everything.
-Foreman Domai, "One Tool, One Thought"

Begin with a function of arbitrary complexity. Feed it values, "sense data". Then, take your result, square it, and feed it back into your original function, adding a new set of sense data. Continue to feed your results back into the original function ad infinitum. What do you have? The fundamental principle of human consciousness.
-Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "The Feedback Principle"

"Go to the graves of a thousand dead soldiers and ask them if honour matters. Their silence will be your answer."
- Javik; Mass Effect 3

That really hit me. I mean, honour is great and all, but dead is dead.

"There are no men like me, only me."
- Jaime Lannister; A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones

I just like the quote. I mean, there is only you. No one is exactly like you. There are people who are similar to you, but in the end, there's only you.

"Everyone's gonna die, its a natural part of life...but if life's has no purpose you're dead already."
- Kiba: Wolf's Rain

Probably one of my many favourite quotes from the show. Such a beautifully sad anime D:

The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed. The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate...Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed... Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are...Death awaits you."
~Nyx, Persona 3.

Knowledge of the truth is not everything. Yet drunk with truth, you exceeded your role and became too involved... Now, learn for yourselves whose wrath you have brought down!
~Izanami, Persona 4

Yeah, r.i.p.
~Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human revolution

That's all I got for philosophical stuff.

"Duty is heavier than a mountain. Death, lighter than a feather."
Lan Mandragoran, Wheel of Time

This is the one quote that stuck with me while reading this book.

"Bear witness to my sin, and you become a breeding ground for my horror."
-Joel Calley, Concession.

It just sounds so good.

There's only two ways this can end. And in both of them....you die. -Duke Nukem

"A man chooses, a slave obeys." Andrew Ryan

"So this is how it ends. Well then listen to me you stupid idiots! I am undefeatable, you can never stop me, death is only the beginning! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll see you in HELL!"
Jeremiah Gottwald, Code Ment
I'm tripping BALLS!

Jedoro:

Wenseph:
"We all have our delusions" - Aria T'loak.

Eve, the female krogan, says something about turning on a light and there will be darkness no more, but I forgot the exact wording.

Those are the ones I remember right now...

I think this is close: "It only takes one candle to light a fire, and then the darkness is gone."

OT:
In war, victory.
In peace, vigilance.
In death, sacrifice.
-Grey Wardens, Dragon Age

"I only have two rules. The first rule is to never kill someone without a reason."
"And the second rule?"
"You can always find a reason to kill someone.
-Saren and David Anderson, one of the Mass Effect novels.

EDIT: Definitely paraphrased:
"The worst insult an enemy can suffer is to be ignored."
-Warlord Okeer, Mass Effect 2

Yeah, it might be, thank you.

"Four Gods wait on the windowsill
Where once eight Gods did war and will
And if the Gods themselves may die
What does that say for you and I?

Now, three Gods wait on the windowsill
Where one God's blood was lately spilled
While black tongues lap at the spreading pool
And build the strength they need to rule

When two Gods wait on the windowsill
The wick of the world is burning, still
But when one God in triumph shouts
The candle of the world goes out

And when that candle, bare and white
Sheds at last its dancing light
Then we will rouse, with raisÚd rod
To pierce the very house of God"
--The Quartet for the Dusk of Man

My father was born on the ship to America, but the way that he talked about Ireland you would think he always wore a kilt and ate nothing but haggis. And he hated the british for what they did to his great grand parents, that he never knew.

John Marston. It went something like that.

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings

Optimus Prime

When I was in the corps we didn't get no fancy shmancy tanks, we entire platoon got sticks and a rock, and we had to share the rock.

Sgt. Johnson. Again it went something like that.

Give it to me, and I'll do what you shoulda did, ten minutes ago.

Convict from the dark knight.

Luke3184:
Snip (with pain in my heart)

... amazing. Your quotes are the ones that really stopped me in my tracks and made me think, more so than the others so far. Thank you for posting them.

OT: (wall-o-text inc.) 1967 Parole Hearings Man: Ellis Boyd Redding, your files say you've served 40 years of a life sentence. Do you feel you've been rehabilitated?
Red: Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.
1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society...
Red: I know what *you* think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word. A politician's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?
1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, are you?
Red: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.

Andy Dufresne: That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you... Haven't you ever felt that way about music?
Red: I played a mean harmonica as a younger man. Lost interest in it though. Didn't make much sense in here.
Andy Dufresne: Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget.
Red: Forget?
Andy Dufresne: Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
Red: What're you talking about?
Andy Dufresne: Hope.

Both from The Shawshank Redemption.

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - No, you move."
--Captain America

It means I stand up for my convictions.

It means I don't despise anyone whose convictions run in opposition to my own.

It means that Captain America is pure awesome!

Two that mainly stick out are:

Stephen King - "Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness."

And:

Sherlock/Mycroft Holmes - "Sherlock Holmes: Look at them. They all care so much. Do you ever wonder if there's something wrong with us?
Mycroft Holmes: All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage, Sherlock. "

There are more but it would take forever to type them out.

The number one moment in mass effect is when Mordin said "Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong" before entering the tower.

"Thank you."
-Spider Jerusalem

"STOPRIGHTTHERECRIMINALSCUM"

aaaand
"MY FISTS, THEY ARE MADE OF STEEEL!!!"

Two quotes that I live by:
"Keep on keepin' on" and "Life's a garden, dig it!"
~Joe Dirt, best David Spade movie ever

But as the day when the world declared in one voice, we will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive. Today, we celebrate our Independence day!

Saw this movie when I was about 5 years old, this has stuck with me ever since.
Starts at around 0:34

Be mindful of your thoughts, they betray you - Obi Wan Kenobi

Be careful when bantering the idea of democracy. The very thing that makes it appealing can also be it's own undoing. When one gives power to so many, even the most meager citizen, then greed and vanity shall overtake reason and wisdom - Ascentia Kortai

I think life would be a lot easier if ignorance was painful. Every time you did or said something totally stupid, you get a little shock of brainfreeze - Unknown Comedian

Great minds think alike, and idiots think in unison - Matthew Ryder

It's overkill, investigation is implied in our mandate - Darth Vader

One does not achieve wisdom or experience by simply staying alive. My kind live for billions of years, and yet you can see before you the rash actions of the select few, child. The ideal of wisdom comes from learning from one's mistakes, and also by planning to have many more in the future. Do not fret over failure, failure is how we grow - Ascentia Kortai

Those who overthrow a leader have a simple choice to make about the people they now rule. Enslave or slay - Matthew Ryder

Seasons change, tastes change, but people... people never change. You delude yourself believing otherwise - The Dark Prince

"Hope is what makes us strong. It is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost."
- Pandora from God of War III

It's been sort of stuck in my head for two years now.

Also, Chaplin's speech at the end of The Great Dictator.
"You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men!"
Love that part.

"Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy. But so often, the legacies we leave behind... are not the ones we intended."

- Queen Myrrah end of Gears of War 2

An awesome quote, very true today. Once I saw how that full story played out, the quote fit all the better.

I believe that there are things one chooses to do in life, and also things that are chosen for one to do in life. -Lilly, Katawa Shoujo

Have I ever apologized for my blindness even once? You can't help the way you are born, Hisao. There's no point in apologizing for who you are. You are a beautiful person, Hisao. Please don't apologize for that. -Lilly again, Katawa Shoujo

The only people a superhero can save are the people he sides with. -Archer, Fate/stay Night

personaitor:
Listen up! I don't care if that thing is God's own anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop. We're not gonna let them have it. What we will let them have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in. Am I right marines? "Yes Sir!" Damn right i am.

If you don't know who said this, I will have to slap you.

That one has stuck with me over the years, but just because it's badass. however, for a more thought provoking quote...

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life"

-Winston Churchill

Hehe, I like that one but I think my favorite is the two sticks and a rock speech...

Here is mine quote - "We must always think of the children!" AK47 I think that was how he said it...

Anything that came out of Bindo's mouth in kotor (destiny AKA - I hate you old man) or Kreia in Kotor2 (distrust as a shield, didn't earn it, eyes a distraction in regards to true sight,crude matter, etc, etc.)

The one by liberty prime that went something like "democracy isn't negotiable" - that made me laugh until the thought occurred to me that many take that literally... then I shot some "bigots" and felt better.

"There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it, I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign!"

"We are eternal. The pinnacle of evolution and existence. Before us, you are nothing. Your existence is inevitable. We are the end of everything."

"We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it."

"We are legion. The time of our return is coming. Our numbers will darken the sky of every world. You cannot escape your doom."

"Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction. This exchange is over." (presumes on pimp slapping Shepard in the face)

I, for one, welcome our Reaper overlords. Hell, being a husk may not be so bad.

"It crouches near the center of creation. There is no night where it waits. Only the riddle of which terrible dream will set it loose. It beheaded mercy to take possession of that place. It feasts on darkness from the minds of men. No one has seen its eyeless face. When it sleeps we know a few moments of peace. But when it breathes again we go down in flames and mate with jackals. It knows our fear. It has our number. It waited for our coming and it will abide long after we have become congealed smoke. It has never heard music, and shows its fangs when we panic. It is the beast of our savage past, hungering today, and waiting patiently for the mortal meal of all our golden tomorrows. It lies waiting." ~Harlan Ellison

"A culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. The find themselves... or find themselves lacking."

"The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that they understood that difference, more than anyone knew."

"Do not see every enemy as an enemy - see them instead as an ally, whether they realize it or not."

"Do you speak of all your battles? Or are there some you would wish to forget?"

- Kreia, KotORII

She's a surplus of brilliant quotes. Without a doubt one of the best written characters in history. God, I love KotORII.

"Among the stars, so many fates cross and pass each other. My own thoughts and ideas will be left behind in the continuance of time." Treize Khushrenada

"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it." - Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, "Assassin's Creed: Embers"

Simple "Stop taking things for granted, ya darn kids" type of message, but I still love this particular one.

henritje:
one does not want to acknowledge the mistakes of their youth
-Char Aznable UC0079

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAH!!!! Char is the great orator!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked