Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Raoul Duke: A drug person can learn to cope with things like seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to handle this trip.

Zardoz: The gun is good, the penis is evil.

Prince vultan: Gordon's alive!?

Guybrush Threepwood: Porcelain.

Dr. Cox: And my favorite; man falling off a cliff. Noooooooooooooo

Janitor(from scrubs): You don't get drunk on djum.

Harley Quinn: Come on, don't you want to rev up your harley?

In the Soul Eater anime Medusa says something like "You cannot be both the halberd and the shield, you choose one or the other" and it made her transcend as a simple terrorist antagonist into someone with a founded philosophy.

Chalacachaca:
"They are eating her... and then they're going to eat me... oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

Pretty drunk to watch Troll 2. After all, how can you survive the great town of Nilbog.

"What is real? How do you define real? If real is what is you can feel, smell, taste and feel then 'real' is simple electrical signals interperated by your brain"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming"

I have many more but can't think of them right now.

Monty from the 25th Hour

Here's the video

'I've seen, and done, as much as one man should be permitted. I've cut my way through battlefields where the blood lapped around my horse's fetlocks. I've loved well twice, and been betrayed once. Both those I loved are dead now, as is the part of me that loved them. I've sat at the head of an army, a thousand thousand men who cheered and charged into certain death on my command. I've seen the greatest cities of Maisir and Numantia, from Kallio to the jungle borderlands, roar up in flames, flames I ordered to be set.

I've seen battlegrounds torn by demons called by the most evil and powerful wizards, demons who broke a column of charging cavalry when they appeared, ripped a company of spearmen apart, or sent them screaming away in madness. I have eaten from gold plates, surrounded by silk and gentle music.

That is one side

There is the other:
I've stumbled, bleeding, from the field of war, gut-sick as I saw our banners trampled and torn by the enemy triumphant. I've snatched a half-burned potato from a low fire and gnawed at it, the best and only meal I'd had for close on a week. I've screamed on a witch's pallet, while she muttered words and taped dressings around my wonds, and then spent weeks wishing for the softness of death in a recovery tent.

Yet I am not old. I am not yet forty.'

Damastes a Cimabue, 'Seer King'

I thought it was an excellent character introduction, and I've remembered it since I first read it.

"He remembered being summoned into reluctant existence at the moment the first creature lived, in the certain knowledge that he would outlive life until the last being in the universe passed to its reward, when it would be his job, figuratively speaking, to put the chairs on the tables and turn all the lights off. He remembered the loneliness." From Mort

Not from a fictional character but.

"Your weakness is money in their bank." -Henry Rollins

"Go home and be a family man!" -Guile SF2

Great line made awesome by the fact that he did that very thing in his ending.

"Valar morghulis." -Jaqen H'gar

"For they are the knights of summer...and winter is coming." -Catelyn Stark

"Hear my words, and bear witness to my vow. Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night, and all the nights to come."

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different. I'm honest...it's the world that's awful."
-Sandor Clegane, The Hound

"I think I'm going to fuck you up the nose, wench." -Shagwell the Fool

Real quotes from the real A Song of Ice and Fire. Plenty more where that came from.

"You reap what you sow, Artyom: force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without any thought or doubt."
-Kahn, Metro 2033

I loved this because it was extremely true for the game/story. Unless you looked very closely at the story and really thought about the things you saw and heard, you'd think that the Dark Ones were actually evil. This would lead you to fire the nukes and kill them all without a moment's hesitation.

In truth, the Dark Ones only ever killed people by accident when they first tried communicating with other beings, as the human mind cannot handle their psychic powers. The mutants in the tunnels can sense the Dark Ones' psychic powers and so they flee, they don't send them to kill people. They did not mean to kill anyone, only wished to make contact. The real war started when the scared humans retaliated without thinking and began attacking, causing senseless bloodshed. The only option left to the Dark Ones was to defend themselves by any means.

Metro is still my favorite game of all time, even if the gameplay is somewhat choppy at times.

"You're Gonna Carry That Weight."
-Text at the end of Cowboy Bebop.

Just because it did.

"Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it's no excuse."
-Perks of Being a Wallflower, on a boy who is abusing his girlfriend.

"You have the effrontery to be squeamish. But WE were dragons. We were SUPPOSED to be cruel, cunning, heartless, and terrible. But this much I can tell you, you ape...we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality." - The Dragon, "Guards! Guards!" by Terry Pratchett

"The right people never get hurt." Reid Fleming, the World's Toughest Milkman

"Thought before action, if you have the time." - Tor Kelsey, "The Edge" by Dick Francis

"Smilesville. Welcome, keeper! Before you lies a happy and carefree realm. The local champion, Lord Antonius, holds the first portal gem you require. Learn how to construct a dungeon. Build up your forces so you can crush Lord Antonius and wipe the smile from his face." - The Narrator, "Dungeon Keeper 2"

"I have defied gods and demons. I am you shield, I am your sword. I know you, your past, your future.

This is the way the world ends"

Always loved this quote.

"But does one ever truly have a choice?
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars."

"And so, I returned to the sanctuary of my enemies, the fortress of the Sarafam Brotherhood, deemed impossible for any man to penetrate.
*chuckles* Impossible for any man."
- Kain, Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Serious Quotes:
These quotes I found truely inspirational.

"I will inflict the greatest insult an enemy can suffer.... to be ignored"

Warlord Okeer, Mass Effect 2

"The relationship is symbiotic, organic and machine intertwined. A union of flesh and steel. The Strengths of both, the weaknesses of neither. I am a vision of the future shepard. The evolution of ALL organic life, this is our destiny."

Saren, Mass Effect 1

"War.... war never changes"

Narrator from Fallout series

"Enough! You can stay here and let old wounds fester as krogan have always done or you can fight the enemy you were born to destroy and win a new future for our children. I chose to fight. Who will join me?"

Urdnot Bakara/Eve, Mass Effect 3

"We wish to understand, not provoke"

Legion, Mass Effect 2

Silly quotes that are memorable:

"I think I'm insulted"

Sam Fisher, Splinter Cell: Conviction

"What about watermelons"

Roxas, Kingdom Hearts 2

and who can forget

"You BIG, STUPID, JELLYFISH"

Commander Shepard

'God will understand, and if he does not, then he is not god, and we need not worry' Balian from Kingdom of Heaven destroys all religious dogma

Daniel_Rosamilia:
This one from Max Payne:
'They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark on everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and it was over."
It's a sort of closing for that chapter of Max's story. He's finally at peace (or as close as he will get) with what's happened to him. And then Max Payne 2 rolls around.

The end of Max Payne 2 was awesome as well; Mona dies in his arms, but he says she brought him to a moment of clarity... and his final line: "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead, but it was all right." Fade to black, cue credits. He is truly at peace here as well.

THIS IS HOW YOU DO A SAD ENDING WELL, MAC WALTERS AND CASEY HUDSON!
Sorry 'bout that. Carry on.

"Why?! Science isn't about why it's about why not! Why is so much of our science dangerous? Why don't you just marry safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why don't you make a door that won't hit you on the way out because you are fired!" Cave Johnson (Pretty much anything else he said I could have put down but I repeat this quote quite a bit in chemistry when ever someone says why.)

I love quotes way too much.

" A judge says life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. Without the possibility. hehehe. Lifers man. At some point they realize they ain't going nowhere. I seen it happen. A calm comes in their eyes. It's like they figured something the rest of us are never gonna see. They're suddenly free in a whole other kinda way, they're ready to die. Maybe they do what they can to help that shit along" Augustus Hill from Oz

"I wonder why in here we fight so hard to stay alive. A man gets sentence to 100 years. He really thinks if he gets buff, stays diesel he's gonna walk out?" Same guy. That quote kind of echoed through my mind the entire series

"I pray for the safety of all good people. Even gentiles. But we cannot expect God to do all the work" Joshua Graham

Newt's quote to Ripley in the vents.

"Mommy says there are no such things as monsters, but there are, aren't they?"

Perfectly sums up mankind, that there are in fact 'monsters'.

Jingle Fett:
"The enemy's gate is down" -Ender Wiggin

WOuld you join me in prayer that they don't screw the movie up?

Also a good quote for anything Michael Bay or Platinum Dunes is involved in.

"Sometimes", she said, "they threaten you with something - something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, 'Don't do it to me, do it to somebody else, do it to so-and-so.' And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick and that you just said it to make them stop and didn't really mean it. But that isn't true. At the time when it happens you do mean it. You think there's no other way of saving yourself and you're quite ready to save yourself that way. You want it to happen to the other person. You don't give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself."
"All you care about is yourself", he echoed.

-George Orwell personifying Julia and Winston in Nineteen Eighty-Four

My mother died yesterday, and before, I rented the Book Nineteen Eighty-Four from the library (Ironically, the library was built in 1984) My brother told me that a question about the book was on jeparady, he was watching it with my mother. (It was her favorite TV show)
I recited this quote a few hours before she died at the hospital, How if given the option, I would be so ready to send this burden on someone else, I don't care about what they suffered. I only wanted my mom to live.

This book is going to stay in my mind forever.

Mr.Tea:

Daniel_Rosamilia:
This one from Max Payne:
'They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark on everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and it was over."
It's a sort of closing for that chapter of Max's story. He's finally at peace (or as close as he will get) with what's happened to him. And then Max Payne 2 rolls around.

The end of Max Payne 2 was awesome as well; Mona dies in his arms, but he says she brought him to a moment of clarity... and his final line: "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead, but it was all right." Fade to black, cue credits. He is truly at peace here as well.

THIS IS HOW YOU DO A SAD ENDING WELL, MAC WALTERS AND CASEY HUDSON!
Sorry 'bout that. Carry on.

True, that's probably the better ending of the two, and that line just brings on a slew of emotions. Although, there is a 'secret' ending for the hardest difficulty where she doesn't die, but apart from that it's basically the same.

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." - opening lines of Morrowind.

We got some Deus Ex original and HR going on already, so I'll add the first thing that came to my mind, the original quote is from Woodrow Wilson, but Toufexis's delivery in the trailer for HR is wonderful:

"If you wanna make enemies, try and change something."

Many lines from the Legacy of Kain series apply but this stood out to me:

"As a man, I could never have contained such forbidden truths... But each of us is so much more than we once were... Gazing out across the planes of possibility, do you not feel with all your soul how we have become like gods?" - Kain

And just because I feel it's necessary:

"But....There's one they fear! In their tongue he is Dovahkiin...DRAGON BORN!" *cue Elder Scrolls theme*

MASTACHIEFPWN:
"Sometimes", she said, "they threaten you with something - something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, 'Don't do it to me, do it to somebody else, do it to so-and-so.' And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick and that you just said it to make them stop and didn't really mean it. But that isn't true. At the time when it happens you do mean it. You think there's no other way of saving yourself and you're quite ready to save yourself that way. You want it to happen to the other person. You don't give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself."
"All you care about is yourself", he echoed.

-George Orwell personifying Julia and Winston in Nineteen Eighty-Four

My mother died yesterday, and before, I rented the Book Nineteen Eighty-Four from the library (Ironically, the library was built in 1984) My brother told me that a question about the book was on jeparady, he was watching it with my mother. (It was her favorite TV show)
I recited this quote a few hours before she died at the hospital, How if given the option, I would be so ready to send this burden on someone else, I don't care about what they suffered. I only wanted my mom to live.

This book is going to stay in my mind forever.

I'm sorry about your mother. It's funny the things that stay in your head during the passing of a loved one. I've never forgotten the scene from Kevin Smith's Dogma that was on when My Girlfriend's mother passed away (I had been one of her caretakers for the 3 years prior, after she had to have emergency brain surgery for a tumor that the doctor's found in an ER).

"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."

- Uncle Iroh, Avatar: TLA

Really took this one to heart, only to discover that it's fairly counter to American culture (we're a very proud people). I try to be humble about all things in my life, and now I rarely feel truly ashamed when I make a mistake. I just address it in whatever way i think is best and move on. Some who've seen this take it as a sign that I just don't care or that I don't hold myself accountable for my actions, when really I just realize I'll make mistakes all throughout my life; dwelling on them fixes nothing and just makes me feel crappy. Recognize them, learn from them, never repeat them, but don't let them bring you down.

I'm sure I have numerous others, but I can't pick any out with any degree of accuracy.

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it." - Buffy

"Two men walk into a bar. The first man orders a scotch and soda. The second man remembers something he'd forgotten, and it doubles him over with pain. He falls to the floor shaking and then through the floor into the earth. He looks back up at the first man, but he doesn't call out to him. They're not that close." - Wesley (from Angel).

"We're lost, we're not gone." - Dollhouse

"Out damn'd spot!" - Lady Macbeth

"Can't stop the signal" - Firefly

"I sacrificed Angel to save the world. I loved him so much. But I knew ... what was right. I don't have that any more. I don't understand. I don't know how to live in this world if these are the choices. If everything just gets stripped away. I don't see the point. I just wish that... I just wish my mom was here." - Buffy

And I know these two aren't fictional characters but they've stuck with me nonetheless

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep." - Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening by Robert Frost

"I have mislaid the key. I sniff the spray
And think of nothing; I see and I hear nothing;
Yet seem, too, to be listening, lying in wait
For what I should, yet never can, remember;
No garden appears, no path, no hoar-green bush
Of Lad's-love, or Old Man, no child beside,
Neither father nor mother, nor any playmate;
Only an avenue, dark, nameless, without end " - Old Man by Edward Thomas

"Gravity, why do u disobey Captain?" -Zee Captain, Romantically Apocalyptic
"That was the worst throw ever. Of all time." -Washington, RVB
"You know what does equal Power? Power. Power equals power. Crazy, huh? But the type of power? Doesn't matter as much as you'd think." -Zykon, Order of the Stick

"Why are you so proud of your lawyers here in the United States? Money spent on a lawyer is money not spent on fine liquor, fancy cigars, or beautiful women." - Patrick Lassan, Chasseur-Colonel of Napoleon III's Imperial Guard. Said to Nathaniel Starbuck, Captain in the Faulconer Legion of the Army of Northern Virginia, after Nathaniel starts to wax eloquent on the respectability of the trade. If I remember right its from the book "Battle Flag" and the quote might be a little off, I have not read the book in years.

"PIIKAAAAA!"
-Pikachu

"CHUUUU!"
-Pikachu

Why do we fall over bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.

Thomas Wayne, (think its in begins, not sure)

It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

omar little the wire

Some of these have probably already been said, but they're worth saying again.

Eliza - Deus Ex Human Revolution
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Captain Blackadder - Blackadder
"Who would have noticed another madman around here? (refering to the trenches in WW1)"

Andrew Ryan - Bioshock
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

GMan - Half Life 2
"The right man in the wrong place can make ALL the difference in the world."

Narrator - Every Fallout game
"War, war never changes."

President John Henry Eden - Fallout 3
"We can afford all we need, we cannot afford all we want."

Ulysses - Fallout New Vegas
"The day I set my flag down, it'll be over my body or over a nation I believe in."
"Who are you, that you do not know your history?"

Mr House - Fallout New Vegas
"We don't have to dream that we're important."

My people, sons and daughters of Helghan...
- Scholar Visari
Its sad that I can do the entire speech without prompts.

"They're scratching your paint-job" - Unknown German Tank Commander - Company of Heroes

"We're on a secret mission to find coffee and donuts, unfortunately the Germans ate all the donuts and drank all the coffee, so now, we gotta go kick their asses!" - Some sergeant guy - Call of Duty 3

"Wir sehen uns in Walhalla" - That German Commander from Iron Sky - "See you in Valhalla"

"They're going to kill me too, very soon. I was just going to lie down and take it, but you know what? Before I go, I'd like to know why I have to die." - The Doctor.

One of the few interesting things about season 6 was seeing The Doctor come to terms with his own mortality. Must be strange for somebody who's over 900 years old.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked