Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

[quote="JaceArveduin" post="18.361804.14207459"]"Was it red-red-green, or red-green-red?" -Scorch, Republic Commando
I love that line too, along with many others from that game.

The one line that always sticks out in my mind is from the "Godfellas" episode of Futurama.
The last line in the episode spoken by the godlike entity... "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

It just made me think about all the possibilities of life & existence.

Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.
Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.

-Badass Vikings + Ahmed Ibn Fadhlan, The 13th Warrior

I love this movie, and this prayer just before the final battle makes me shiver every time.

"I think I understand what Wilhelm wanted to do, just a little bit better. His methods may have been wrong, but now, I think I understand the logic behind his reasons. Living the same life, over and over again, but living those lives without any regrets is what really matters. That is probably what the ideal vision of being human is all about. However, we humans are really not that strong. And we know that we can't live like that. We're creatures that are much more flawed, weak, and smaller than that. We hurt others, we lie to ourselves, we hate, we blame others, we regret, but even if we are weak, and even if is our fate to disappear entirely I think the will to change the future is still an important one. We must try to change the things around us, little by little. Even if it is one step at a time, and even if everything is already predetermined, it isn't something for us to be sad about. No, on the contrary, the future is overflowing with hope. And we have infinite paths to choose from. Isn't that right? chaos? KOS-MOS?" ("

Pretty much all of Xenosaga

"Wake me, when you need me"
-- John-117, Halo 3

"Send me out, with a bang..."
--Sgt Maj. Avery Johnson Jr, Halo 3

"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it, I had time but I did not know it, I had love, but I did not feel it. I knew I would not have enough time to do everything, but now I worry I will not have enough time to do anything."
-- Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Assassins Creed Embers

"How are you holding up? Because im a Potato"
--GLaDOS, Portal 2

"I am and always will be your friend." Spock, Wrath of Khan

"I am. I think. I will." Equality-72521, Anthem

"Man exsits for the acheviement of his desires." Hank Rearden, Atlas Shrugged

"Fakers always hate the real deal. They may not recognize the impulse for what it is..."

Augh. I forget how the whole thing went, but, you should be able to understand the point being made here. It went something like this and it really intrigued me. It was said by a guy called "Ezekiel", I think in one of the Ultimate Spiderman comics.

Honour does not need to be won, but it must never be lost. Dinobot (Beast Wars)

Just thought of a great one from The Witcher:

"That sword is for monsters." --Grand Master Jacques de Aldersberg

Those who have played it understand the underlying significance of his words.

'The past is always affecting the present. Just look up at the night sky. The light we see from stars is thousands of years old but is only reaching us now.' Lex Luthor, Smallville

'Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will hurt forever..' JD, Scrubs

Aragon's speech at the black gate in the return of the king

'Save the cheerleader, save the world.' Hiro Nakamura, Heroes

'Without fear, we cannot be courageous.' I can't remember who said it(i think it is game of thrones)

'I am not a thing. My name is Leonard Church, and you will fear my lazer face!' Leonard Curch, Red V's Blue

I've probably butchered the first and last quote, but I'm too lazy to find the actual quote

syrdefi:
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - No, you move."
--Captain America

It means I stand up for my convictions.

It means I don't despise anyone whose convictions run in opposition to my own.

It means that Captain America is pure awesome!

Big thanks for posting this. I was going to, but it's great to see that I'm not the only one who really likes this.

"Through conflict we are found, we either find ourselves, or find ourselves lacking, but either way we are found."-Kreia

Star wars Knights of the Old Republic 2

bean burrito:
I'll paraphrase, because I'm too lazy to track down the exact wording, but:
"Never forget what you are, for the world will not. Armor yourself in it, for then nobody can use it against you'
-Tyrion Lannister

Most memorable quote, imo

"I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was akin to a slow death.
If I must live as i did before then..." - Lelouch

Luke3184:

Zack Alklazaris:

Luke3184:

And I shall leave you fellows with that wall of text.

American Gods!

/hug

You know in that respectable hey bro kind of way...

/Equally manly hug back

That book is nowhere near read enough :(

Dude, totally!

/Group man hug

What fear of death have we, who know that there is immoratality in the great and noble deeds of men.

Warhammer 40k Rulebook. It's a nice way to live your life I find.

"'I don't need to have the perfect plan. My foe just needs to have an imperfect one.' - Jace Beleren"

It's the flavor text of Summoner's Bane, a Magic: The Gathering card. I'm not a huge fan of Magic, but when I first read this quote, it really stuck with me.

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written."
- Atrus, in several of the Myst games and the first of the books.

This just seems like it's true to life for me. No matter what happens, no matter how shitty things get or how awesome they turn out to be - it's not over. There's more to experience, and it's all right around the bend.

Ad Captcha: (Neutrogena) "Describe this brand with any word(s)."
Me: "Okay." *writes "Utter crap"*

For the sake of taking WAY too long to remember them all. I'll just go with my favorite.

"A man chooses, a slave obeys" -Andrew Ryan.

"Maybe the only way to beat your bad luck is not caring about the outcome." -Vriska Serket, Homestuck

I will never, EVER, forget that Soylent Green is made of people. That will always stick with me, and I'm never buying Soylent Green again.

Also, in "Catch-22", when the Indian (Chief White Halfoat) says "Racial prejudice is a terrible thing, Yossarian. It really is. It's a terrible thing to treat a decent, loyal Indian like a n****r, k**e, w*p or s**c." I was reading that in a quiet classroom, and I could not stop freaking laughing.

None, no video game quotes has been good enough for me to "stop and think" but if you want to know which quotes made me burst out laughing well i could pretty much list everything that the ennemies says from Manhunt.

From movies though, WOW there are farr too many to quote them all but if i have to pick one it would be this one from The Wire:

"You'd rather live in shit than let the world see you work a shovel"

"Unleash your hate! Your anger! Everything! I'll take it all and F***ing kill you with it!"

-Travis Touchdown

Besides being the most badass pre ass kicking one liner I've ever heard (helped that I liked G Gundam as a kid), its more or less what guides me in how to view all situations. In every situation there is a negative force that will cause you to fail, so you accept it, you accept its significance, and you use it to your advantage. Or no sell it. Whichever is more awesome

A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero, but one. - Greek Proverb.

Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off. - Tyler Durden

It's only when we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. - Tyler Durden

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. - Rorschach.

In case you guys can't tell, I'm a loosely-contained sociopath, moral absolutist and general asshole.

I see some good ones here. That being said...
"If the wind no longer calls to you, it is time to see if you have forgotten your name." -Elegos, I, Jedi
That one not only made me think, it really helped me out a lot last year.

There are other ones, but that one just jumped out almost immediately.

Sanity is for the weak!

Do you hear the voices too

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt

Into the fires of battle! Unto the anvil of war! Battle-cry of the Salamanders

Simply put, over the coming centuries we may be out-evolved to the point of extinction. Magos Biologis Alder Garrick

I have been chosen for greatness by the dark gods themselves. You, petty mortals, have been chosen only for death Eglixus the executioner of trechagrad

Warhammer has some of the best quotes

VoidWanderer:

Jingle Fett:
"The enemy's gate is down" -Ender Wiggin

WOuld you join me in prayer that they don't screw the movie up?

Also a good quote for anything Michael Bay or Platinum Dunes is involved in.

I've been crapping myself in fear since i first heard the announcement. Im cautiously hopeful though since I heard who theyve casted so far...
The kid from Hugo is pretty much my ideal pick for Ender and that was actually my first thought when i saw him in the trailer for Hugo. He should have really good chemistry with Ben Kingsley too since they worked together in Hugo...and i think Harrison Ford as Graaff is a very good pick as well. Fingers crossed

TheTJackson:

Unknown Alliance Sergeant - "That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!" - ME2

That just reminded me of a video I ran across today.

I don't remember where I heard it from, quite possibly I heard it from someone I know, or possibly from a dream (my subconscious does that sometimes). In any case I am sure I am paraphrasing.
"Success? What is success? Is it to stand at the highest point? Is it to be the loudest? In that case why hide your mistakes? Pile them high, stand on top of them, and funnel your frustration into the loudest shout you can. Do this and you can never truly fail."

I am sane.
I am me.
I am forever.

~ A supermutant from Fallout 3

"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong... the weak... the innocent... the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."

I like that one cause it's pretending to be philosophical, but it's just a bunch of bull.

If the goddess of luck turns her back on you; twist her neck.
- Michael (From Korean manhwa Ares)

"Organics fear that which is different. It is a hardware error. A reflex of your flesh." - Legion, ME2.

"If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth."

Louis, Jacob's Ladder

I guess, technically, it's not a fictional quote. I heard it spoken by a fictional character though. So, yeah.

There are so many more these are some of my favorites.
"Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong."-Mordin
"You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it."-Sovereign
"Tell them... I held the line."-Mordin
"We are not a mistake!"-Wrex
"There... Earth... I wish you could see it like I do Shepard... It's so... perfect."- Illusive Man
That entire scene with the Illusive Man at the end of ME3
Thanes prayer for Shepard in ME3
Man like 50 other lines from the mass effect series.
"For a moment there... I thought we were in trouble."- Butch Cassidy
"A man chooses, a slave obeys"-Andrew Ryan

"I am wretched, but I am STRONG! I am the future. I am ZERG!" - Infested Terran, Starcraft
"And in the end... as the darkness takes me... I am... nothing." - Darth Malak, KotoR
"And if I die, I die knowing I made a choice. A choice that, for better or worse... was my own." - Agarth, Reckoning
"Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are." Ryu, Street Fighter 3
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I *do* that defines me." - Batman (Batman Begins)
"Take off every "ZIG." You know what you doing. Move "ZIG." For great justice." - Captain, Zero Wing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here