Your heritage/family tree share a interesting piece of history/fact

Pages 1 2 NEXT

share a interesting fact or history of your families bloodline,

My example, According to some research through church papers and people registers. My fathers side of the family goes back to a certain viking king named Harald bluetooth the king of denmark,Some of you may know him he was the first viking to become christian and he converted denmark to christianity, The current royal family more or less comes from this bloodline,
Since these papers can't be unaccurate i'm inclined to believe it.
Kinda funny when your heritage says your a royal *blueblood* as the term says. Besides that it means i'm a viking by blood,

Please feel free to share a piece of history of your heritage

killerguythefox:

My example, According to some research through church papers and people registers. My fathers side of the family goes back to a certain viking king named Harald bluetooth the king of denmark,Some of you may know him he was the first viking to become christian and he converted denmark to christianity, The current royal family more or less comes from this bloodline,
Kinda funny when your heritage says your a royal *blueblood* as the term says. Besides that it means i'm a viking by blood,

He is also the person they named the Blutooth technology after :)

Aurgelmir:

killerguythefox:

He is also the person they named the Blutooth technology after :)

Haha good one but yeah interesting thing to know for my knowledge :P

During the later portion of WW2 the vitally important "Hitler Line" went through a name change, Hitler didn't want there to be any sort of propaganda victory for the Allies if they broke through the line. It was renamed the "Senger Line" in honour of one of my Great Great Uncle, Frido von Senger, one of Hitler's main generals in the Italy region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Line

Proof is in my own name if you really want, Mike Senger/Regnes Ekim.

EDIT:

Oh yeah and Terry Fox and his family are old family friends.

Direct descendant of Paul Kruger, the 1st president of South Africa and also the most hated one because he gave the biggest diamond ever discovered to Queen Elizabeth.

The things we do to try and get laid :)

I'm related to Doc Holiday, one of the supposed wild west shooters at the OK Corall.

Regnes:
During the later portion of WW2 the vitally important "Hitler Line" went through a name change, Hitler didn't want there to be any sort of propaganda victory for the Allies if they broke through the line. It was renamed the "Senger Line" in honour of one of my Great Great Uncle, Frido von Senger, one of Hitler's main generals in the Italy region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Line

Proof is in my own name if you really want, Mike Senger/Regnes Ekim.

EDIT:

Oh yeah and Terry Fox and his family are old family friends.

interesting so you are related to one of the known generals back in WWII,
If people knew this wouldnt they be extremely hateful towards you? kinda curious.
Still we all share a odd heritage, gotta say being in the bloodline of one of the kings of denmark and especially the one who brought christianity here is a bit odd xD,
Techinally i am a heir to the throne if suddenly most of the royal bloodline dies overnight,
But having the so called *blue blood* is hard to wrap your head around

killerguythefox:

If people knew this wouldnt they be extremely hateful towards you? kinda curious.
Still we all share a odd heritage, gotta say being in the bloodline of one of the kings of denmark and especially the one who brought christianity here is a bit odd xD,
Techinally i am a heir to the throne if suddenly most of the royal bloodline dies overnight,

Perhaps, but he was known to have a particular distaste for Hitler. They might as well hate every person with a relative who fought on Hitler's side.

Regnes:

killerguythefox:

Perhaps, but he was known to have a particular distaste for Hitler. They might as well hate every person with a relative who fought on Hitler's side.

Ah i suppose you are lucky to not to be hated for having a ancestor who was a general in WWII
:P

Nothing too exciting. I'm just a direct descendent of the McKenzie Clan and the McLeish clan, somewhere along the line I'm related to McKenzie clan chief.. And I'm Irish somewhere along the lines. Nothing too fantastic, just a poor history of managing potatoes and dealing with the British.

My ancestors were train robbers.

They were called the Sontag brothers and robbed trains in Minnesota.
http://www.mnriv.com/sontag.html

My family were lords in Yorkshire for a very long time, going back before the Norman invasions. One thousand years later, we're still there. If it were still around, I would actually be heir to the title.

Our family crest was also rewarded due to deeds of valor in the Crusades, but I'm not proud of that.

killerguythefox:

Ah i suppose you are lucky to not to be hated for having a ancestor who was a general in WWII
:P

I think it is quite narrow minded to hate someone because of what their Ancestors did. Sadly there are a lot of narrow minded people that don't know the difference :(

Good to see that we are not some of them :D

My great-grandmother's family were very very posh and it just gets posher the further you go back, so there's some interesting stuff. Fortunately she kept an (incomplete) record. There are plenty of Dukes, Earls, a Baron and a Regent.

Eventually it crosses over into France and then back to the Franks, so I'm descended from Charlemange. Once you go back that far pretty much everyone is, but I think it's unusual to be able to trace it. All the Kings I am linked to have rubbish nicknames anyway, like 'the short', 'the bald' and 'the stupid'.

The one I like the most is a knight who commanded the cavalry in Charles the First's army during the English civil war. He survived but was later executed for duelling.

I am a direct line desendant of the last witch burned alive in England...also my grandad's aunt's mother was one of the chamber maids that one of the last prince's of France got preggie!

And my grandad was a tank mechanic who was in the group that discovered Auschwitz, AND was on D-Day...Needless to say, he wasn't in the best of shapes when he got home.

Wow, my story is nowhere near some of these. There is no record of my family entering the US after leaving Ireland, We crossed from Canada into America and settled in Chicago. My great grandfather was an illegal immigrant. That is the best I've got.

i decend from Ole RÝmer a danish scientist that discovered the speed of light

-Grandmother was a military medic in WWII.

-Grandfather was a Sergeant-Major in the Royal Artillery, and ended up being one of the first into Berlin.

-Grandfather stayed for a while after the end of the war to help Germans rebuild and give supplies (illegally) to civilians etc. Ended up being "given" the daughter of a family, whom he ended up getting pregnant (though he was already married).

-Great-Great-Aunt was one of the first women to have a driving license, and one of the first to own a car. Was also an evil Harpy-woman.

-8 generations back, my lineage can be traced to a Russian who escaped some uprising in the motherland, crossed the borders through Europe illegally and hid on a ship from the Netherlands to England. Earned a living bare-knuckle boxing, and got married and had kids with...

-An English woman of far-back Syrian heritage, most likely a prostitute originally.

Yaaay.

Direct descendant of a highland clan chieftain, second in line to claim the heading of the clan and the sizable estate that comes with it.

The last dude racked up an enormous debt in the name though so I shan't be claiming it.

killerguythefox:

I am related to George Washington by marriage and Robert E. Lee by blood. Washington's wife Martha had a sister who married one of my great great grandfathers or something like that and then Robert E. Lee's sister married into the First family and was my great great great grandmother or something like that (something meaning plus or minus a great or two :p ).

I'm like... American royalty! lol.

There's other interesting tid bits, such as my great great grandfather being the chief of the Choctaws when they were on the Trail of Tears (or shortly there after, I suppose) and how he is historically famous for how he handled the whole affair, and some minorly famous war heroes, etc... I actually come from some pretty historically significant stock!

According to QI you can work out mathematically that every white European is a direct descendant of Charlemagne, just because he's so far back that anyone in that era who had kids will be a common ancestor to modern Europeans.

It's a long shot, but I may be a descendant of Hywel Dda, who was King of a large portion of Wales during the 10th century. He is hailed as one of the greatest Welsh kings as he set down a book of laws for his kingdom that was less about the bloody code punishments typical of his time, but more akin to modern justice systems as he emphasised restitution and compensation.

Well, I'm a Dutch/English Canadian. There are a couple interesting pieces of trivia about my heritage.
My dad's dad and my mom's mom both immigrated from the Netherlands, and from looking at records and pictures, it seems very likely that they were on the same boat. How's that for crazy?
Also, my dad's mom's dad was a war orphan. Unfortunately, he was never really keen to talk about himself, so we don't know much about him. All we do know is that he was found in the streets, too young to know his own name, so they named him after the street they found him on - Cornwall.

EDIT: Also, while it isn't my heritage, I do have a friend whose lineage traces back to the man that assassinated William the Silent.

All I know about my heritage is that a family motto is 'All in good time'.
Apart from that, my knowledge is limited to great grandparents, who pretty much all took part in WW2/WW1, but that's hardly special.

My family, from a quick search started out as bakers and fighting men. Apparently we owned a fair bit of land at one point, but that's about it.

My family is a little boring.

My mother spent a ridiculous amount of time researching our tree. My ancestors include:

-Captain Kidd's sister
-two indentured servants (slaves with a "release by" date), one volunteered for it in order to pay for his way to the US, the other was forced into it after getting caught stealing.
-One of King Edward I's bastards. (also known as "longshanks", he was the antagonist in the movie Braveheart for anyone that doesn't know their history. The link is also somewhat tenuous, historical records from that far back being just a bit unreliable)
-two participants in the civil war, both fighting for the south, one died at the battle of Shiloh

So... um, yeah

While interesting, there isn't much there for me to be exceptionally proud of, especially since my family seems to have mostly skipped the past 150ish years of history.

my ancestors were english, irish, french, Danish and tasmanian aboriginal so its a miracle im here at all with them all invading and trying to kill each other.

i dont have anyone famous as far as i know. an uncle was a rat of tobruk and was captured. spent the rest of the war in a german prison camp in northern italy where the guards made him wear a special hat to identify him easiely as he kept escaping and they were sick of having to go to the local tavern to pick him up

My father's family tree goes back to one the pioneer leaders that led the South-African colonists north, to form an independent nation. He was one of the three who actually survived.

FluffyWelshCake:
It's a long shot, but I may be a descendant of Hywel Dda, who was King of a large portion of Wales during the 10th century. He is hailed as one of the greatest Welsh kings as he set down a book of laws for his kingdom that was less about the bloody code punishments typical of his time, but more akin to modern justice systems as he emphasised restitution and compensation.

Actually that wasn't as rare as people think. The Saxon's justice system was much more about compensation than revenge. If you killed someone, you had to pay the family a weregeld which was took into account the loss of earnings as well as the emotional damage done. I think the Irish celts had a surprisingly modern justice system as well.

It was the medieval period when everything started going arse up.

My family, the 'mag Fhionnghaile' clan in its original Irish used to rule half of Co. Donegal and Tory Island up until 1605, when, during the Nine Years War, the English wrecked our lovely castle and deported us all as enemies of the Crown to Australia. Then, it appears, half went back to Ireland and the other half to America. The Irish residents eventually emigrated in the Famine, which brought the direct line to Scotland, and then down here to England.

The American splinter went on to become famous writers and even include a couple of war heroes in their number.

What the hell.

As far back as we can trace the family name (several hundred years), my family have been completely unremarkable and never moved outside the south west of England, or even more than a few towns from where the line originated. That's just my direct ancestors though, plenty of random siblings of blood relatives moved further afield, and I don't know anything about my mother's ancestry.

killerguythefox:

I hate to break it to you, but if you go back that far we're probably all descended from him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_recent_common_ancestor

It's pretty awesome that you managed to actually trace it though :)

King Duncan I, Macbeth, and Thorfinn the Raven-Feeder were all cousins, and I descend from them as well as Adam Duncan and Donn'chaidh Reamhar ("Stout Duncan"). Duncan I and Macbeth you'll know if you've read the Shakespearean play Macbeth, though Thorfinn isn't mentioned in it. He was basically this really tall, really big Viking who said to hell with Duncan and helped Macbeth kill him. Donn'chaidh Reamhar was one of the chiefs of the clan before the whole Robertson-Duncan clusterfuck who supposedly lead the clan at the Battle of Bannockburn (though some records dispute this) and Adam Duncan was a naval officer in the British navy who defeated the Dutch at Camperdown and the Spanish as well at one point I think.

A couple years ago my grandfather was contacted by a museum in Israel that he turned out be a descendant from Baruch da Spinoza (a famous philosopher); which I'm very proud of, since a building of my university (Universiteit van Utrecht, the Netherlands) is actually named after him: The Spinoza Hall.

From my other side of the family, my father's side, I'm a descendant from Marcus Cassianius Latinius Posthumus, Emporer of the Gallo-Roman empire in 260-269. I actually own a coin with his face on it from that era.

Enough to be proud of! I just hope my descendants will remember me in a thousand years...

Need to raise the awareness even further, since I'm tired of seeing people boast about their 1000 years old ancestors in threads like these.

From the Wiki Eamar linked; "A human alive today would over 30 generations (going back to about the High Middle Ages), have 230 or about 1.07 billion ancestors, more than the world population at the time."

Congratulations, but we're all related to him.

OT: Farmers, Indian gypsies and Belgians(Walloons). Nothing really intresting here.

We have managed to trace the family/clan history as far back as the Picts. I find it amusing, given my fascination with the Roman Empire growing up, that way back when, someone related was bashing their heads in and causing problems for Rome.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked